Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Golf Rounds: Morning or Afternoon

The group I play with tees off at 8am week days and 7:30 on Saturdays.  In the summer, it is way too hot for this old man to play in the afternoon.  Having said that, I have no doubt my old, stiff body would perform better in the afternoons.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I’m a morning golfer. Tee off before 8am. 
My course doesn’t allow carts out until 8am but walkers can go out anytime after 7am. We only have a couple walkers and only one likes mornings. I’m usually the first one off and never see anyone. It’s like my own private course. Works great for testing equipment, working on a swing issue, or extra putting practice. 

Freshly mowed greens, raked bunkers, and me leaving a trail of footsteps up the center of the fairway. I can always tell how well I’m playing by just looking back at my trail in the dew. It’s also the best time to play in July and August. It gets hot and humid.

If I want some extra distance then I’ll play an afternoon round just to hit different irons into the green. The fairways get firmer in the afternoon. But the bunkers are full of footprints and the greens have ball marks from the lazy asses.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Nothing beats a 6am dew sweeper for me. First one out, nothing but the sounds of nature and the club striking the ball. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. About as pure as it gets for me 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

Nothing beats a 6am dew sweeper for me. First one out, nothing but the sounds of nature and the club striking the ball. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. About as pure as it gets for me 

That's my favorite as well!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Late evening rounds, without a doubt. Playing during the golden hour is one of my favorite things. It is just so relaxing. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

While I do love the beauty of the sunrise and being out there at that time.. .. this old guy needs a whole lotta stretch-y roll-y time in the mornings to get loosened up and get all the various parts moving ....

The upside to this is the course is generally less busy in the afternoons.

Unfortunately that sucks for group outings that typically take off early, but then that's what arthritis creams and pain killers are for!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

For years I wanted to play as early as possible so i could get back and be with the family or do my honey do list. (LOL) Now that the kids are gone and I can do the honey list anytime, I like playing later in the day.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 3/30/2024 at 5:16 AM, Josh Parker said:

Simple question is,

Do you prefer morning or afternoon golf, and why?

I love the solo rounds at daylight.  The first one to tee off.  Dew on the ground and the thought of the untouched course ahead.  I enjoy the pace I set for the day and the quiet time to just enjoy the outdoors and nature around me. However, if I'm playing a round with the guys, I prefer playing in the afternoons. 

Afternoon is my vote.  I always feel like morning rounds are rushed and the body is not fully loose yet.  
Also like others mentioned the sun dropping slowly is always a beaut. 

WITB

I much prefer to play early.  I like to get my round in and have the rest of the day to accomplish chores or honey-do's.  Another advantage to playing early is the course is less busy and the pace of play is good....usually don't have to wait to hit a shot.  The only disadvantage to playing early at my course is some of the greens may be wet.  Our greens mowers have a different pattern than mowing 1 through 18 in order.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Going to guess that the majority of answers to this is "early" since the club I recently joined as a 'social' member doesn't let us out until 1 or later on the weekends... 

Personally, I enjoy both; great to have the rest of the day to do stuff after your morning round and it's also awesome to finish up just as the sun is setting.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I enjoy the early morning rounds & walking.  As Jason stated, the dew on the grounds, being the first out & like @Tom the Golf Nut also stated test equipment or working on the swing with no interruptions.
I used to be a member at a club where the pro would allow me to walk and tee off before they opened at 6:30 am.  I'd be the first one out, see some of the maintenance guys, then check in at the turn, since the 9th hole came back to the clubhouse. 

At the current club, there are 4 to 6 players who are the first off every morning (either 4 or 2 groups of 3's) & we all walk. It's great.  No one in front, we usually leave the groups teeing off after us in the dust, never seeing them after the 2nd hole. Greens are freshly mowed, dew setting back on the greens. Sometimes, as was the case this morning, they punched & lightly sanded the greens on the back 9, so we did catch them watering the greens.  We're normally done playing 18 holes in 3 to 3:20 mins.  I'm home by 11am & start working regular job. Life is good! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Basically anytime I can get out to play is nice, but getting out early in one of the first groups is the best.  No wait times, fresh cut fairways & greens, groomed bunkers, and avoiding the heat of the afternoons on those July & August days.

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

Late afternoon into evening. Golf is about winding down for me -- I don't play as well if I know that there's work/errands waiting on the other side.

🪵 --> :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D/3w/7w | Tensei Blue 65
🧲 --> :srixon-small: MkII ZX4 | Recoil F3
🎯 --> :cleveland-small: CBX 4 ZipCore | Stock
⛳ --> :odyssey-small: Ai-ONE Seven S | Stroke Lab SL90
⚽ --> :srixon-small: Q Star [or whatever else comes along]

On 4/2/2024 at 4:39 PM, quod erat said:

Late afternoon into evening. Golf is about winding down for me -- I don't play as well if I know that there's work/errands waiting on the other side.

Good point .. also like late afternoons knowing that there's Happy Hour on the other side 😂

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

For me it kinda depends on the time of year and weather, I am not a cold weather guy! Winter I like an 8:30 or so time however summer I prefer a little earlier. We spend a lot of time in La Quinta and summer times are 5:45 to 6:15am and at the pool by 9am. Summer twilights are ok here in So Cal..... Come to think of it, anytime is a good time for a round! Even a four club tournament!

20220317_103703.jpg

20221013_120214.jpg

Driver - Cobra LTD MAX Helium 5F3 R Flex                                                                                                                                                 

3 wood - Cobra LTD MAX Helium 5F3 R Flex                                                                                                                                              

Hybrid - Cleveland 2 Halo Launcher 16deg &  Callaway Big Bertha Diadlo 21deg                                                                                                                  

Irons - Callaway Apex 19 (5 - PW)                                                                                                                               

Wedges - Callaway Mac Daddy 50, Jaws 56 & 60                                                                             

Putter - Odyssey WhiteHot OG Mallet                                                                                                                   

Grips - Golf Pride Tour Wrap (Jumbo), Super Stroke Tour 2.0                                                                                 

Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Early as possible. Especially in the summer. Beat the heat and still have the rest of the day to do stuff. In the winter I like teeing off later when it’s slightly warmer though

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I like playing early for the speed of play.  I don't like the different conditions I may experience on the greens though.  

I also don't like hitting tee shots while staring dead into the sun.  In the end, speed of play wins out most of the time.

Driver: Callaway Ai smoke TD with Oban Isawa 

3wood: Callaway Rogue ST LS with Aldila NVS

5wood: Callaway Rogue ST LS with Aldila NVS

7wood: Callaway Ai Smoke with Aldila NVS

4hybrid: Callaway Ai Smoke with True Temper Cypher

irons: Callaway Apex Pro with Modus 105

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 52&56 with Modus 105

Putter: Toulon LeMans

Either first off or playing until it's dark. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

I prefer mornings for the weekends, but afternoons for weekdays. I love playing early when it's cooler and then still having the afternoon to do whatever else you'd like to get done during the weekend. The issue with mornings during the week mainly has to do with the club I play at. There's several retired guys that play at my course daily, and they all play during the morning. Any given day of the week there's several foursome or fivesomes that don't have the fastest pace of play and don't let people play through. I've found that if I go early afternoon it's late enough that they are all done or far enough along I won't run into them and early enough to beat the 9-5 workers to the course. 

Janson Lietzke

On 3/30/2024 at 5:16 AM, Josh Parker said:

Simple question is,

Do you prefer morning or afternoon golf, and why?

I love the solo rounds at daylight.  The first one to tee off.  Dew on the ground and the thought of the untouched course ahead.  I enjoy the pace I set for the day and the quiet time to just enjoy the outdoors and nature around me. However, if I'm playing a round with the guys, I prefer playing in the afternoons. 

I prefer early, but enjoy golf at any time.  This pic was at Perham Lakeside Oak #2, as I went off first walking as a single with nobody to get in my way.  

golf4.jpg.a90d8aa60f2dce6430e8de34f9483ffa.jpg

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

On the weekend, definitely the earlier the better. During the work week, I've fallen in love with the post work, afternoon 9. Go out solo, decompress a bit after work before going home to the wife and kids. I've got my trusty push cart and can usually be done with 9 in about 1.5hrs 

image.png.695997e0ab2d273d1e9a6d9a59693008.pngWhat's In The Bag:

Bag:  image.png.2ec6ba172a80fb70c3708a3565225509.png 2019 Fusion 14 Stand Bag                                                            Push Cart Mafia: image.png.b59a1c1a2ab63e23e9cfc08d20037566.png 3-Wheel Golf Cart

Driver: image.png.c69fcd36742a959ebcefd6b193dfe9d7.png Rogue Draw 2018, w/ Project X EvenFlow Blue 65 Stiff               Wood: image.png.4bd79af128a2fd5e2627a0ebf39a9407.png Rogue 2018 3 Wood, w/ Project X EvenFlow Blue 65 Stiff

Hybrid: image.png.d99fef9be797b93aaa3ffa0c7d2553ed.png Rogue 2018 4 Hybrid, w/ Project X EvenFlow Black 75 Stiff        Irons: 4-PW, AW image.png.79b607903de2cce2fc91afb095f7d402.png Rogue Pro Irons, w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff

Wedges: Bombtech 56*, image.png.6bd1330c167d3701de09916004f72f92.png Mack Daddy 3 60*                                            Putter:  image.png.5a43fcf6c6d0f6b43357ce870ae1e69a.png Triple Track Ten, Incoming: image.png.6f232d68128a0864f020965748b290ba.png DF3, Green 66*/35

Balls: Kirkland V3 Yellows                                                                           Tech: Garmin Approach S70

I play on Tuesdays-Thursdays, and try to tee off around 10AM. This way I avoid the “morning” golfers or just following the leagues. Since a round is about four hours anyone who wants to have lunch either before or after playing is eating really early or later in the day. So that takes out most of the “client entertainment” guys. I’ll also start around. 3PM since most folks won’t start that late.

I leave Fridays and weekends for those who can’t play during the week etc. On those days I’ll go to the range, short game area, etc 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black