L.A.B. DF3 Putters - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@jbern - Main Post 

@MattWillGolf - Main Post 

@CFreddie - Main Post 

@Cfhandyman - Main Post 

@GolfSpy MPR - Main Post 

@Steve F - Main Post

6 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Managed to sneak out after dinner to take a few more glam-shots of the new putter with my main camera (not iPhone).  I'm not sure how much I can express how perfect I think it is.  I know everyone's else's will make me second-guess that for at least a few moments, it's so fun to have something turn out EXACTLY how I envisaged it.  

Hope you enjoy looking - I had a BLAST taking these. 

IMG_5650 2.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

Seriously awesome pictures.  Have fun with it. Looking forward to your experiences using it. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

Woke this morning to an email from FedEx that my L.A.B. putter delivery is delayed till Monday. Wtf, I’ll go and pick it up myself. Phone customer service, sorry, no delay, it will be delivered today. Okay, so who is right?  We will see. Hopefully, I will get it today. And @Steve F,  I do solemnly promise not to chase or tackle the FedEx delivery person. Promise, with my fingers crossed. 

I have it on good authority that you will have that gem in your hands today! I'm excited for the unveiling! 

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

@GolfSpy SAM. That color really pops!

And contrary to my thoughts on the mc hammer previously mentionEd, the bottom on yours looks alot like a bouquet of flowers.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

This is the worst part of the wait - checking fedex every 5 mins and calling customer support. Don’t they know this is the most important thing they are delivering today?!? Sending good vibes to you @Cfhandyman - I have a good feeling it’s today. 

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

7 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Managed to sneak out after dinner to take a few more glam-shots of the new putter with my main camera (not iPhone).  I'm not sure how much I can express how perfect I think it is.  I know everyone's else's will make me second-guess that for at least a few moments, it's so fun to have something turn out EXACTLY how I envisaged it.  

IMG_5650 2.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

Wow, what a beaut! I am really loving the green/white shaft/white grip combo! The detailed stamping in the pistol grip is next level cool! My excitement level is through the roof!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here | LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

7 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

IMG_5650 2.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

Fantastic photos, Matt!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

One of my buddies plays the DF 2.1 and said once he got over the size and look of it, it has changed his putting. He used to call himself the worse putter inside of 10 feet but he now has this new found confidence. 

Wondering what you think of the look of the DF3?

Driver: Mizuno Stz

Fairway: Titliest 9115 3 Wood

Irons: Callaway Legacy Black 4-PW

Wedges: Vokeys

Putter: Phantom 5.5

Ball: ProV or Chrome Tour X

9 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

DF3 Weekly review  -  Highlights of week 2 

Welcome to the Weekly DF3 review and recap for week 2 highlighting the best posts, pictures and findings for the week.  If this is helpful and you like this content, please let us know your thoughts.   We ended week one with everyone finalizing their putter choices and placing their orders with L.A.B. and now the great debate was what to name the individual putters and when will we get the putters. Most of us had been expecting the usual 4-6 week wait.  Lo and behold, L.A.B. expedited the build and shipment of the putters to each of us. All were built and shipped within 5 days of order.  A truly amazing job by L.A.B. and extremely well done and a big big thank you from all of us.  So let us begin our recap.

Naming our individual custom putters

@GolfSpy MPR  OK, so my current name finalist list (with the red [putter] head theme): Winston, Weasley, Conan, Vincent van Gogh-in 

@Just_the_Chip My goldfish arrived. I love it.  image.png.acca41b398dc1cb36e2be505747ea8fc.png

@Northern Monkey How about Crookshanks?

@GolfSpy MPR I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious, and having anything named "shanks" sitting in my golf bag, hanging out with my wedges and irons, seems like a bad idea to me

@Josh Parker I agree!  It can't have a name like that. 

@Cfhandyman - how about the Beast? I’m loving the Beast, aka beauty and the beast  

@MattWillGolf The number of alignment options is pretty amazing really. There really is something for everyone. I wanted something somewhat simple for my eye, enough to encourage me to focus but not too busy. 

@MattWillGolf  L.A.B. Rats. That’s a creative idea. image.png.5ce069e490642f5af1840148412c3c6a.png

@TSauer I love the LAB Rat. It's one of those brand logos/mascots that just fits perfectly.

@jbern Well, we have our first copy-cat color. I took a family poll with my wife and kids and the clear winner was blue (it’s also my favorite color in general!). The only non-blue vote was my wife choosing pink, which made me laugh out loud thinking about @Cfhandymans wife stealing his putter if he chose pink! 

@rkj427 Great color selections by the testers, I would be interested in any comments all of the testers would make related to the colors and how they interact with the sun on a bright, sunny summer day.

Then an ensuing discussion of putter headcovers – do you use them or not

@StrokerAce might want to get an odyssey cover for the LAB in case someone is thinking about stealing it... (no offense to Odyssey, but...)

@GolfSpy SAM I’ll be cutting mine open immediately to see if it’s REALLY filled with goo, or perhaps hidden Korean technology.

Then the first of the confirmation of orders and that it was in the queue to be built image.png.b38fd4aecf7248a8cf390e4cbc421db9.png 

@Steve F "Hi Steve,

Thank you for your order! We're excited to let you know that your order 1570834 has been successfully received and is now in our production queue. Our current lead time for custom orders is 5-6 weeks. For stock orders and small packages, we aim to ship within 5 -10 days of your order. Note: Some stock models may vary on lead time due to inventory.

@MattWillGolf I was hoping for order number 8675-309

@CFreddie– great fitting interview questions with Calvin at L.A.B

Truly my pleasure - Calvin was totally game and I appreciate him (and the rest of the LAB team) for sharing a bit of knowledge on the fitting process!

@cnosil It was a great video.  Some insight into how the LAB guys think.

Shaft option decisions

@Cfhandyman Originally, I was going to upgrade to the Accra, but then we got word that all shaft options were open. So for me the dilemma was do I go for the tried and true Stability shaft which I have been using for 5+ years or the TPT.  The game changer was when I had the opportunity to pre test a L.A.B. DF3 with the TPT shaft and pistol group. I was impressed with the responsive feel, and how smooth and balanced the putter felt.  I then consulted with L.A.B. and upon their testing they found the TPT to be an ultra stiff, very low torque high premium putter shaft that provides instant and clear feedback.  The Stability was also an ultra stiff, very low torque shaft, but with a slightly softer feel.  Hmmm, more thought. So based on this and pre test, I chose the TPT.  also then provided me the ability to test the L.A.B./TPT combination against my comparator/Stability combination on putter fitting with Quintic.  

@CFreddie  +1 here on the TPT - I've had the chance to hit a LAB putter with each shaft option (besides the BGT), and the feedback on the TPT is second to none.  One interesting call-out with Calvin was the sound difference - since the Accra is considered the softest, the sound / audible feedback will come off more dampened (vs the ultra stiff TPT)

@MattWillGolf Based on what I found on the L.A.B. Golf website I knew I wanted graphite because of the stability graphite offered. I chose the BGT shaft because I wanted feel between soft and firm. 

Reaction to highlights week 1

@Jim Shaw fun idea, thanks for this

@Josh Parker  @Cfhandymanthat was the best post this week!

@Rob Person Holy cow!  What a catch up! This is a  thread to follow!

@Steve F ... just, incredible. This is beautiful @Cfhandyman !!! Kudos!! 

@Cfhandyman So now the selection process is complete. We have a red, orange, black, green, cappuccino and two blues and a wide variety of alignment aids. 5 standard and 2 counterbalanced builds. 
On a separate note, the folks at L.A.B. have been simply outstanding to deal with. From Calvin and the other fitters, to their straight forward online fitting process and overall help and input have been greatly appreciated by us all. So thank you L.A.B.

@jbern I headed over to our local Club Champion to gather some more information. I was able to speak with Mike Kohn, Master fitter, builder and the store manager. I went to ask 1) Have they heard of MGS, and a big smile came over his face, of course! 2) Will they be able to do testing of both putters so I can do a data collection of both side by side (the answer was an emphatic YES!) and 3) How would he recommend that I proceed? His suggestion was wait until the DF3 arrives (c'mon DF3!!) and we could do the collection at the same time. 

What do we name the putter

@Steve F naming the putter. Well, hmmmmm. It took me a bit, but all black ... The Mamba, I think. 

@CFreddie Now we just need a name…  My current leaders: Taz and Chewie  

@Northern MonkeyChewie - cos you’re gonna chew up the course with it image.png.25fc982978c9d41dbc5e451c6e222ec7.png image.png.63395f588015a6f94fdaec868d4450a7.png

@sirchunksalot I was about to answer the same, I like Chewie. I guess it's the geek in me 

@Steve F I'm thinkin' "Taz", you're going to be going through those putts like the whirlwind he is!!!

@TSauer He’s known for eating anything in sight, and what’s more fitting than Taz snatching up birdies and eagles?

@CFreddie Great write up @Steve F - very excited to hear your putter is already going into production! 

@Swood1994 Holy moly! Just got caught up on this thread and all I can say is… WOW!  Testers you guys are killing it and the putter are still in transport

@GolfSpy SAM BUT...literally the first thing I did while at red lights on the way home was check and see if there was somehow, some way, a shipping notice.  

@jbern Wow! This thread is incredible! So many great things to catch up on! 

@jbern Love, love, love these recap posts! Great posts to point people to, who might be interested in the thread but don't want to follow along with every single comment! Also, just fun to relive the last week of posts! Thanks for putting it together and I would definitely like to keep seeing them in the future!

@GolfSpy SAM I went with the white Accra. I have the black Accra in my 2.1, and love the feel and feedback. I discovered long ago that I do not enjoy a very firm feel off the face - much prefer a muted thwack. Also, and this is just silly, but...I wanted the white shaft so that it was all cohesive. 

@GolfSpy MPR Added bonus of the same goldfish/Lasso vibe we had with the orange putter: short term memory loss can be a good thing when putting

@CfhandymanThis putter will face a gauntlet of testing led by our fearless Dr. Technology, @GolfSpy MPR  It will be exputted, blasted, hacked and stacked. Any flaws will be exposed by Mr. Quintic and Mrs Sam. It might even be Captoed. Stay tuned for the fun adventures.

@Rob Person How about MC hammer? only because the alignment on the front looks like MC. Hammer.. 

@Michael.Sandoval33 I cannot unsee the MC Hammer now. And @jbern I did not even listen to the song you are referencing and I can't get it out my head

@Just_the_ChipWhat's your process for dealing with this?  You have to look them square in the eye, get as serious as you can and say slowly and clearly "Absolutely not." then while maintaining eye contact, kiss the putter and put it away in the super plush magnetic DF3 headcover

@Cfhandyman So here is a summary of the final selections.  Orders are in and the putters are in the production queue.  A big thanks to Calvin and L.A.B. for all their help, support and tremendous service.  Even better we all received the following in our order notes:  "Expedited per CAL. Have Cade build. Alignment Mark EE + C" in my case. 

Reactions to the putter selections image.png.a5874ad090760db8c0c08514ee4d28a6.png

image.png.bced014a74169575031e5e2890f733d3.png

@Steve F . just, wow. This is awesome @Cfhandyman!! Thank you for taking the time to do this! This is SMOKIN' hot! 

@TSauer Good stuff, man! A good little mix of everything it seems

@GolfSpy_KFT These are SO SICK

@BreakfastBall15 Love the choices everyone picked. LAB really has a billion combos to choose from. Looking forward to all the unboxings 

Nicknames image.png.f2d4875f92e3b4f53de2797e5e975bc3.png image.png.b07b890ce6697ec1e1b6309ccd3e39d1.png

@CfhandymanIn my case, I really like the blue LAB rats log and given my science and healthcare background. But what if we expanded our creativity.  What if we looked at fighter pilot call signs for inspiration?  What names might we be looking at then?  I present to you the following: Caddy, Chaos, Clutch, Boss, F bomb, EZ, Lab rat, Bam Bam, Sidewinder, Money, Taxman - everyone pays, Touchdown, Yoda and Big Mama

@StrokerAce I'm very curious how the counterbalanced fare vs the standard versions. @jbern and @GolfSpy MPR - have you used CB putters in the past? is this something you were interested in trying or is there a specific reason you went w/the CB version

@tdroma98 @Cfhandyman It's too bad they didn't have an "Espresso" color.  True Espresso drinkers don't settle for "Cappaccino"

@jbern  I have not used CB putters in the past. My current gamer putter is an armlock that is 39.5" long. I used a standard 34" putter in the fitting video that I sent to LAB for the online fitting. In communication with the LAB fitters, they indicated that I held the standard putter armlock-ish and that led to an abnormally short fitting length (32.5" and I am 5'9"). The fitter recommended the CB option to provide the extra grip above my hands to mock the armlock style and be a more comfortable transition from armlock.

@ole gray I went by the PGA Store to check out the DF3 putters and Holly Molly!  They had a blue one with a black Arccos  shaft and white grip. That thing was sweeter looking than Aunt Gertrudes hot buttered corn bread!  It rolled good too  - Lines of the Week Winner

@CfhandymanAll in all, we have selected 6 of the 8 colors offered.  The only ones missing are platinum and pink.  Truth be known, I would have ordered pink, but the way my wife was ogling that choice, I knew from past experience, it would disappear from my bag and magically reappear in her bag, never to return.  I've learned that the hard way, so I just removed the temptation.

@GolfSpy SAM Ahhhhhh.... FREAK OUT!!! (Le freak, c'est chic) Just got "Ready to ship" notification!!!

@Steve F Well, L.A.B. comes through with the email of the day....  image.png.16c361c7a94fcc08582e0ea2cbc299fa.png

BOOOOMMMM!!!! The anticipation builds! 

@MattWillGolf Nemo is finding his way to me! 

@GolfSpy MPRI, too, received the happy email today.  Apparently, both the Evnroll and the Edel have heard the news, because my putting the last two rounds has been very solid (3.8 strokes better than the previous two rounds), with no 3-putts. 

image.png.0fbb897cad79cbca8bc4a3488f5ea16b.png  image.png.1d1a7bfd4aef72d9dd5287f08ce3e7f1.png 

@Josh Parker This is starting to get real!  Notices out. Who will love the LAB and who will struggle?  Struggle will be short lived. 

@Steve F ... this is the next thing I'm stoked to see coming down the driveway! Heck, if they'd tell me the date, I'd send you all a video of the truck making it's way down!!! image.png.7faafb9811ce3ee5f9e5180d420c7b73.png

Now I'm going to follow every FedEx truck that makes it's way into the neighborhood! lol!

@Cfhandyman Now that’s a video we have got to see, you chasing after the FedEx truck. Steve, please don't tackle the FedEx driver when he pulls into your driveway. 

@CFreddie Why is Oregon so far away from Georgia?!?

@Cfhandyman I too have received the exciting news that my blue LAB Rat is on the way.  Yipee and show me the way little buddy. 

@Cfhandyman So who gets their putter first?  Will it be @GolfSpy SAM who lives the closest, will it be the Michigan boys of @jbern or @GolfSpy MPR up in the U.P. (upper peninsula).  Or will it the other northern boys of @MattWillGolf in NY or @Steve F in Maryland?  Will the southern boy @CFreddie grease the skids and fool us all or will it be the TXG guy @Cfhandyman, in Canada outfoxing them all.  Who hugs the FedEX driver first?

image.png.5ce069e490642f5af1840148412c3c6a.png     Stay tuned for week 3 results, highlights and recaps

image.png

tenor.gif

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

1 hour ago, CFreddie said:

This is the worst part of the wait - checking fedex every 5 mins and calling customer support. Don’t they know this is the most important thing they are delivering today?!? Sending good vibes to you @Cfhandyman - I have a good feeling it’s today. 

I know what you mean. I’m too waiting on a delivery that was supposed to be here 3 days ago. But it’s only replacement parts for my car. I guarantee that if it was a DF3 I would be beside myself!!

Hang in there buddy!

Cobra woods - Callaway irons - Odyssey putter all soon to be replaced. 

2 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

DF3 Weekly review  -  Highlights of week 2 

Welcome to the Weekly DF3 review and recap for week 2 highlighting the best posts, pictures and findings for the week.  If this is helpful and you like this content, please let us know your thoughts.   We ended week one with everyone finalizing their putter choices and placing their orders with L.A.B. and now the great debate was what to name the individual putters and when will we get the putters. Most of us had been expecting the usual 4-6 week wait.  Lo and behold, L.A.B. expedited the build and shipment of the putters to each of us. All were built and shipped within 5 days of order.  A truly amazing job by L.A.B. and extremely well done and a big big thank you from all of us.  So let us begin our recap.

Naming our individual custom putters

@GolfSpy MPR  OK, so my current name finalist list (with the red [putter] head theme): Winston, Weasley, Conan, Vincent van Gogh-in 

@Just_the_Chip My goldfish arrived. I love it.  image.png.acca41b398dc1cb36e2be505747ea8fc.png

@Northern Monkey How about Crookshanks?

@GolfSpy MPR I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious, and having anything named "shanks" sitting in my golf bag, hanging out with my wedges and irons, seems like a bad idea to me

@Josh Parker I agree!  It can't have a name like that. 

@Cfhandyman - how about the Beast? I’m loving the Beast, aka beauty and the beast  

@MattWillGolf The number of alignment options is pretty amazing really. There really is something for everyone. I wanted something somewhat simple for my eye, enough to encourage me to focus but not too busy. 

@MattWillGolf  L.A.B. Rats. That’s a creative idea. image.png.5ce069e490642f5af1840148412c3c6a.png

@TSauer I love the LAB Rat. It's one of those brand logos/mascots that just fits perfectly.

@jbern Well, we have our first copy-cat color. I took a family poll with my wife and kids and the clear winner was blue (it’s also my favorite color in general!). The only non-blue vote was my wife choosing pink, which made me laugh out loud thinking about @Cfhandymans wife stealing his putter if he chose pink! 

@rkj427 Great color selections by the testers, I would be interested in any comments all of the testers would make related to the colors and how they interact with the sun on a bright, sunny summer day.

Then an ensuing discussion of putter headcovers – do you use them or not

@StrokerAce might want to get an odyssey cover for the LAB in case someone is thinking about stealing it... (no offense to Odyssey, but...)

@GolfSpy SAM I’ll be cutting mine open immediately to see if it’s REALLY filled with goo, or perhaps hidden Korean technology.

Then the first of the confirmation of orders and that it was in the queue to be built image.png.b38fd4aecf7248a8cf390e4cbc421db9.png 

@Steve F "Hi Steve,

Thank you for your order! We're excited to let you know that your order 1570834 has been successfully received and is now in our production queue. Our current lead time for custom orders is 5-6 weeks. For stock orders and small packages, we aim to ship within 5 -10 days of your order. Note: Some stock models may vary on lead time due to inventory.

@MattWillGolf I was hoping for order number 8675-309

@CFreddie– great fitting interview questions with Calvin at L.A.B

Truly my pleasure - Calvin was totally game and I appreciate him (and the rest of the LAB team) for sharing a bit of knowledge on the fitting process!

@cnosil It was a great video.  Some insight into how the LAB guys think.

Shaft option decisions

@Cfhandyman Originally, I was going to upgrade to the Accra, but then we got word that all shaft options were open. So for me the dilemma was do I go for the tried and true Stability shaft which I have been using for 5+ years or the TPT.  The game changer was when I had the opportunity to pre test a L.A.B. DF3 with the TPT shaft and pistol group. I was impressed with the responsive feel, and how smooth and balanced the putter felt.  I then consulted with L.A.B. and upon their testing they found the TPT to be an ultra stiff, very low torque high premium putter shaft that provides instant and clear feedback.  The Stability was also an ultra stiff, very low torque shaft, but with a slightly softer feel.  Hmmm, more thought. So based on this and pre test, I chose the TPT.  also then provided me the ability to test the L.A.B./TPT combination against my comparator/Stability combination on putter fitting with Quintic.  

@CFreddie  +1 here on the TPT - I've had the chance to hit a LAB putter with each shaft option (besides the BGT), and the feedback on the TPT is second to none.  One interesting call-out with Calvin was the sound difference - since the Accra is considered the softest, the sound / audible feedback will come off more dampened (vs the ultra stiff TPT)

@MattWillGolf Based on what I found on the L.A.B. Golf website I knew I wanted graphite because of the stability graphite offered. I chose the BGT shaft because I wanted feel between soft and firm. 

Reaction to highlights week 1

@Jim Shaw fun idea, thanks for this

@Josh Parker  @Cfhandymanthat was the best post this week!

@Rob Person Holy cow!  What a catch up! This is a  thread to follow!

@Steve F ... just, incredible. This is beautiful @Cfhandyman !!! Kudos!! 

@Cfhandyman So now the selection process is complete. We have a red, orange, black, green, cappuccino and two blues and a wide variety of alignment aids. 5 standard and 2 counterbalanced builds. 
On a separate note, the folks at L.A.B. have been simply outstanding to deal with. From Calvin and the other fitters, to their straight forward online fitting process and overall help and input have been greatly appreciated by us all. So thank you L.A.B.

@jbern I headed over to our local Club Champion to gather some more information. I was able to speak with Mike Kohn, Master fitter, builder and the store manager. I went to ask 1) Have they heard of MGS, and a big smile came over his face, of course! 2) Will they be able to do testing of both putters so I can do a data collection of both side by side (the answer was an emphatic YES!) and 3) How would he recommend that I proceed? His suggestion was wait until the DF3 arrives (c'mon DF3!!) and we could do the collection at the same time. 

What do we name the putter

@Steve F naming the putter. Well, hmmmmm. It took me a bit, but all black ... The Mamba, I think. 

@CFreddie Now we just need a name…  My current leaders: Taz and Chewie  

@Northern MonkeyChewie - cos you’re gonna chew up the course with it image.png.25fc982978c9d41dbc5e451c6e222ec7.png image.png.63395f588015a6f94fdaec868d4450a7.png

@sirchunksalot I was about to answer the same, I like Chewie. I guess it's the geek in me 

@Steve F I'm thinkin' "Taz", you're going to be going through those putts like the whirlwind he is!!!

@TSauer He’s known for eating anything in sight, and what’s more fitting than Taz snatching up birdies and eagles?

@CFreddie Great write up @Steve F - very excited to hear your putter is already going into production! 

@Swood1994 Holy moly! Just got caught up on this thread and all I can say is… WOW!  Testers you guys are killing it and the putter are still in transport

@GolfSpy SAM BUT...literally the first thing I did while at red lights on the way home was check and see if there was somehow, some way, a shipping notice.  

@jbern Wow! This thread is incredible! So many great things to catch up on! 

@jbern Love, love, love these recap posts! Great posts to point people to, who might be interested in the thread but don't want to follow along with every single comment! Also, just fun to relive the last week of posts! Thanks for putting it together and I would definitely like to keep seeing them in the future!

@GolfSpy SAM I went with the white Accra. I have the black Accra in my 2.1, and love the feel and feedback. I discovered long ago that I do not enjoy a very firm feel off the face - much prefer a muted thwack. Also, and this is just silly, but...I wanted the white shaft so that it was all cohesive. 

@GolfSpy MPR Added bonus of the same goldfish/Lasso vibe we had with the orange putter: short term memory loss can be a good thing when putting

@CfhandymanThis putter will face a gauntlet of testing led by our fearless Dr. Technology, @GolfSpy MPR  It will be exputted, blasted, hacked and stacked. Any flaws will be exposed by Mr. Quintic and Mrs Sam. It might even be Captoed. Stay tuned for the fun adventures.

@Rob Person How about MC hammer? only because the alignment on the front looks like MC. Hammer.. 

@Michael.Sandoval33 I cannot unsee the MC Hammer now. And @jbern I did not even listen to the song you are referencing and I can't get it out my head

@Just_the_ChipWhat's your process for dealing with this?  You have to look them square in the eye, get as serious as you can and say slowly and clearly "Absolutely not." then while maintaining eye contact, kiss the putter and put it away in the super plush magnetic DF3 headcover

@Cfhandyman So here is a summary of the final selections.  Orders are in and the putters are in the production queue.  A big thanks to Calvin and L.A.B. for all their help, support and tremendous service.  Even better we all received the following in our order notes:  "Expedited per CAL. Have Cade build. Alignment Mark EE + C" in my case. 

Reactions to the putter selections image.png.a5874ad090760db8c0c08514ee4d28a6.png

image.png.bced014a74169575031e5e2890f733d3.png

@Steve F . just, wow. This is awesome @Cfhandyman!! Thank you for taking the time to do this! This is SMOKIN' hot! 

@TSauer Good stuff, man! A good little mix of everything it seems

@GolfSpy_KFT These are SO SICK

@BreakfastBall15 Love the choices everyone picked. LAB really has a billion combos to choose from. Looking forward to all the unboxings 

Nicknames image.png.f2d4875f92e3b4f53de2797e5e975bc3.png image.png.b07b890ce6697ec1e1b6309ccd3e39d1.png

@CfhandymanIn my case, I really like the blue LAB rats log and given my science and healthcare background. But what if we expanded our creativity.  What if we looked at fighter pilot call signs for inspiration?  What names might we be looking at then?  I present to you the following: Caddy, Chaos, Clutch, Boss, F bomb, EZ, Lab rat, Bam Bam, Sidewinder, Money, Taxman - everyone pays, Touchdown, Yoda and Big Mama

@StrokerAce I'm very curious how the counterbalanced fare vs the standard versions. @jbern and @GolfSpy MPR - have you used CB putters in the past? is this something you were interested in trying or is there a specific reason you went w/the CB version

@tdroma98 @Cfhandyman It's too bad they didn't have an "Espresso" color.  True Espresso drinkers don't settle for "Cappaccino"

@jbern  I have not used CB putters in the past. My current gamer putter is an armlock that is 39.5" long. I used a standard 34" putter in the fitting video that I sent to LAB for the online fitting. In communication with the LAB fitters, they indicated that I held the standard putter armlock-ish and that led to an abnormally short fitting length (32.5" and I am 5'9"). The fitter recommended the CB option to provide the extra grip above my hands to mock the armlock style and be a more comfortable transition from armlock.

@ole gray I went by the PGA Store to check out the DF3 putters and Holly Molly!  They had a blue one with a black Arccos  shaft and white grip. That thing was sweeter looking than Aunt Gertrudes hot buttered corn bread!  It rolled good too  - Lines of the Week Winner

@CfhandymanAll in all, we have selected 6 of the 8 colors offered.  The only ones missing are platinum and pink.  Truth be known, I would have ordered pink, but the way my wife was ogling that choice, I knew from past experience, it would disappear from my bag and magically reappear in her bag, never to return.  I've learned that the hard way, so I just removed the temptation.

@GolfSpy SAM Ahhhhhh.... FREAK OUT!!! (Le freak, c'est chic) Just got "Ready to ship" notification!!!

@Steve F Well, L.A.B. comes through with the email of the day....  image.png.16c361c7a94fcc08582e0ea2cbc299fa.png

BOOOOMMMM!!!! The anticipation builds! 

@MattWillGolf Nemo is finding his way to me! 

@GolfSpy MPRI, too, received the happy email today.  Apparently, both the Evnroll and the Edel have heard the news, because my putting the last two rounds has been very solid (3.8 strokes better than the previous two rounds), with no 3-putts. 

image.png.0fbb897cad79cbca8bc4a3488f5ea16b.png  image.png.1d1a7bfd4aef72d9dd5287f08ce3e7f1.png 

@Josh Parker This is starting to get real!  Notices out. Who will love the LAB and who will struggle?  Struggle will be short lived. 

@Steve F ... this is the next thing I'm stoked to see coming down the driveway! Heck, if they'd tell me the date, I'd send you all a video of the truck making it's way down!!! image.png.7faafb9811ce3ee5f9e5180d420c7b73.png

Now I'm going to follow every FedEx truck that makes it's way into the neighborhood! lol!

@Cfhandyman Now that’s a video we have got to see, you chasing after the FedEx truck. Steve, please don't tackle the FedEx driver when he pulls into your driveway. 

@CFreddie Why is Oregon so far away from Georgia?!?

@Cfhandyman I too have received the exciting news that my blue LAB Rat is on the way.  Yipee and show me the way little buddy. 

@Cfhandyman So who gets their putter first?  Will it be @GolfSpy SAM who lives the closest, will it be the Michigan boys of @jbern or @GolfSpy MPR up in the U.P. (upper peninsula).  Or will it the other northern boys of @MattWillGolf in NY or @Steve F in Maryland?  Will the southern boy @CFreddie grease the skids and fool us all or will it be the TXG guy @Cfhandyman, in Canada outfoxing them all.  Who hugs the FedEX driver first?

image.png.5ce069e490642f5af1840148412c3c6a.png     Stay tuned for week 3 results, highlights and recaps

image.png

Is this going to be a weekly thing? Because I'll wait for this recap if so!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I know nothing about the city of Troutdale, OR.

Nothing except that my DF3 left that town 48 hours ago. And no one at FedEx has scanned the label since.

So, for no good reason, I now hate the town of Troutdale, OR. Sorry, Troutdalers.

CURSE YOU TROUTDALERS!

200w (5).gif

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

53 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

Calling Mr Troutdale, are you looking for this?

image.jpeg.a9df84ad2335c00c33f2302989f15358.jpeg  or possibly this?

image.jpeg.8b65c959f44407a4e11f4ca9c1cbbad3.jpeg

it’s telling me I need to untourque myself. 

friends-rachel-phoebe-oh-boy-nzkh6wu0t54p2j8o.gif

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

1 hour ago, Cfhandyman said:

Calling Mr Troutdale, are you looking for this?

image.jpeg.a9df84ad2335c00c33f2302989f15358.jpeg  or possibly this?

image.jpeg.8b65c959f44407a4e11f4ca9c1cbbad3.jpeg

it’s telling me I need to untourque myself. 

YES!!! That is neat! Congrats on LAB Rat's arrival!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here | LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here