Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

hybrid ball position

hi all

i would like some advice on ball position when hitting my hybrids.

i recently acquired a 19* adams 3H (one of the older models, A3 Boxer if i'm not mistaken).

i have hit some great shots on the course with it, and it has helped me to go for the green from about 220yds out. i must just mention that it is winter in south africa, so we do get alot of roll currently, as the area i live in, is a summer rainfall area, and winters are typically very dry.

anyway, lately off of the tee i have been inconsistent with the 3H, and was wondering about ball position.

i've also got a 4H arriving soon (actually i have two arriving soon, i hadn't realised a bid of mine on ebay was still active, when i bought another 4H. so i'll soon be the proud owner of the Adams Idea A12OS 4H, and the Adams Idea Idea Tech V3 4H). i'll be trying both, before i decide which one to keep.

i have been hitting the 3H low(at least it feels to be lower than i would expect), and i thought ball position might impact this.

where do you position the ball with the 3H? (and the 4H). does it differ off the deck, and off the tee?

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

You should play it just like its a 7-iron: center of just slightly forward of center. Hybrids are designed to be hit down on the ball with.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I used to hit down like an iron. Then I took lessons and the pro told me to place it 1 ball left of center (where I play my 4 iron).

Something that really helped me was opening the club face a little bit.

I was always thought I was squaring the club face, but the pro said that was closed. So now square looks open to me, but I have better contact.

If you want, I can take pictures and show you the difference that it made for me.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Put the ball in the same position in your stance as the club it's replacing. If its a 3 hybrid, replacing a 3 iron, that ball position would be slightly forward of center. Swing down on it like you would an iron as well, taking a small thin divot. That's a common mistake I see when people say they're struggling to hit a hybrid. They see the larger head size and their brain equates that to fairway wood and it goes to the front of the stance, they flatten their swing and try to sweep it instead. My uncle bought a hybrid and brought it to the course and tried it for a while on the range. He was hitting rabbit rapers that were hooks. Didn't understand it because he'd neer hit a hybrid before. Watched him hit it and saw it immediately. Told him to hit it like the club it was replacing and he started hitting it like he was supposed to. He still carries a 2 iron and doesn't use the hybrid because he always forgets and hits it like a fairway.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Well two main things when talking about ball position in general

1) Have a reference point on the upper body / head, the upper body / head position will tend to be more consistent then stance width and feet positioning.

2) The "stock" ball position for all clubs except the Driver is the "lead ear" / "lead logo". For me as a RH golfer I use my left shirt logo on my chest or my left ear as my upper body reference.

As for how to play a hybrid / fairway metal off the deck in general, I always play it at my left ear or one ball in front of that, If I need something to go very low I play it 1 ball back from my left ear. Regardless I am trying to trap the ball, I normally take a very very shallow small divot where just the grass gets turn off down to dirt or in thicker fairways the top layers of grass is torn off to show some dirt under it. I don't try to pick / lift the ball into the air, I allow the loft and spin to do it's job in getting the ball airborne.

A personal note anything more then 1 ball forward of "stock position" like 2 and 3 balls forward I typically need a tee under the ball to hit the ball without topping it or really laterally sliding way forward, I don't need a lot of lateral slide in my swing to make good contact so I avid sliding to the point my weight is past the outside of my left foot at impact. Only time I make sure I stance on my left leg lot at impact is downhill shots, I a lot of times end up walking my right leg through impact. Think Tiger Woods when he goes full out at a ball in the rough.

Hope that helps some.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

thanks for all the replies, guys. look forward to the end result ;-)

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

He was hitting rabbit rapers that were hooks.

rabbit rapers.....LMAO :D

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

The nice thing about hybrids is you can get pretty creative with them. My two favorite shots with my hybrids are a super high floater that drops straight out of the sky and a bullet draw that cheats the wind and runs forever. I hit the first like an iron with the ball more centered and delivering a descending blow, I hit the draw more like a fairway wood with the ball a bit forward and a sweeping swing. Off the tee make sure that you are teeing the ball based on the type of shot you are trying to hit for both tee height and ball position. Experiment with it, the nice thing about a hybrid is that its a cross between a long iron and a fairway wood, being easier to hit than either, there's no right or wrong way, just what works best for your game.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

thanks, tyk!

will definitely have some fun with it next time i'm at the range

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

another question on hybrids, that might sound a little silly at first.

when i use my 3H to tee off on holes that have trouble on the right (i still slice my driver badly at times), i tee the ball fairly low on a wooden tee.

with every single tee shot like this, my wooden tee is broken.

am i correct in thinking this shows that i am striking the ball downward, instead of a sweeping swing? or would be related more to the fact that the tee is pretty much 90% submerged, and any contact would smash the tee?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

another question on hybrids, that might sound a little silly at first.

when i use my 3H to tee off on holes that have trouble on the right (i still slice my driver badly at times), i tee the ball fairly low on a wooden tee.

with every single tee shot like this, my wooden tee is broken.

am i correct in thinking this shows that i am striking the ball downward, instead of a sweeping swing? or would be related more to the fact that the tee is pretty much 90% submerged, and any contact would smash the tee?

Regardless of the tee breaking or not, you SHOULD be striking down on the hybrid...and your fairway wood (unless it's teed up more). If a ball is on the ground (or on a tee, but just barely elevated), you NEED to hit down to get the ball up. Pull up the Trackman data for tour players: they are hitting down 3.3* on a hybrid.

The idea of sweeping a FW or hybrid can be good for someone who hits down too steeply, but it can be the wrong advice for some.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

What Matt said. Really, even when I am using a "sweeping" swing, I am still coming down on the ball with almost all shots, just not as much as I would with an iron hitting a ball laying on the ground.

For me, "sweeping" is more of a feel description, I mean, I am not going down to get the ball, I'm not really seeking a big divot, I've got the ball a bit forward in my stance and I'm thinking about a little flatter bottom of the swing arc, more like I'm letting the clubhead chase the ball for just a split second longer than normal but still finishing the swing, not holding it off if that makes sense.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Regardless of the tee breaking or not, you SHOULD be striking down on the hybrid...and your fairway wood (unless it's teed up more). If a ball is on the ground (or on a tee, but just barely elevated), you NEED to hit down to get the ball up. Pull up the Trackman data for tour players: they are hitting down 3.3* on a hybrid.

The idea of sweeping a FW or hybrid can be good for someone who hits down too steeply, but it can be the wrong advice for some.

Exactly...

I pretty much tee my hybrid and fairway wood up like I do an iron. The bottom of the ball is just above the blades of grass on the tee box, assuming it is closely cut grass. Long grass on the tee the bottom of the ball probably into the grass a little.

If I want to hit them higher I tee it up a hair higher so that the head of the wooden tee is visible above the grass, and move the ball a little forward then normal in my stance to make sure I am coming through more level or slightly up on the strike compared to normal...

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

thanks matt, tyk and jmiller.

i'll keep that in mind next time i'm practising.

i also want to start practising some bump-and-run type shots with the hybrid around the greens.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Archived