Want to build my own driver

I have been looking at component driver heads and I would like to get all the parts and make my own driver. I was wondering what all is need besides a club head, shaft, grip, and I am sure some kind of epoxy glue. I have never done this so maybe I should stay away but I am just curious as to what it takes to build a driver.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Figuring you have all the necessary tools like a work bench with vise and normal tools. I would get a Basic Guide to club-making from,Mitchell, Maltby, Golfsmith, Golfworks or any other well known golf store. That will give you a list and step by step to get started . that's how I started, but I was already a Union Plumber for 20 years so these things come natural to me. But it can become much more then a hobby and become very expensive if you want to do it proper! If you just want to do one head better off letting the pro's do it! JMO But if you want to start tinkering, those books will help get you started.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I'm in the process of pulling the shafts out of some iron heads and replacing them in others. I've taken some pictures and when I'm done I'll post a DIY on here that might be helpful to you. Good luck with it, I've found it's lots of fun to build your own clubs.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Is this truly something you can learn from a book or would you guys recommend taking a clubmaker class like the ones offered at Golfsmith, etc. If so, which ones would you recommend?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Is this truly something you can learn from a book or would you guys recommend taking a clubmaker class like the ones offered at Golfsmith, etc. If so, which ones would you recommend?

I think there's so much stuff on the internet in terms of articles, videos, and pictures, that you can probably do pretty well on your own with a minimum of trial and error. I've never taken a class and I can build a functional club, regrip, etc.

That said, I think classes will probably help you do better work faster and save you some mistakes. I'm self taught as a woodworker, but I recently took some classes on specific topics and there really is no substitute for seeing something in person and being able to ask questions.

I think there's so much stuff on the internet in terms of articles, videos, and pictures, that you can probably do pretty well on your own with a minimum of trial and error. I've never taken a class and I can build a functional club, regrip, etc.

That said, I think classes will probably help you do better work faster and save you some mistakes. I'm self taught as a woodworker, but I recently took some classes on specific topics and there really is no substitute for seeing something in person and being able to ask questions.

Wow Matt, I'm really impressed that your wood working is self taught. I never would have guessed that after seeing the quality your work. Real pro stuff.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Wow Matt, I'm really impressed that your wood working is self taught. I never would have guessed that after seeing the quality your work. Real pro stuff.

Thank you very much. I guess "self taught" can be a bit of a misnomer, because I read more books about it than I could ever count, but it is correct to say that I had no formal instruction or teacher.

Thank you very much. I guess "self taught" can be a bit of a misnomer, because I read more books about it than I could ever count, but it is correct to say that I had no formal instruction or teacher.

Yeah, but with no hands-on? Did you do any wood working prior or did you just decide one day to do it? Guys used to apprentice for stuff like this back in the day so I'm just in awe when somebody does it on their own.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived