Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway Hex Black/Chrome

JBones

Let me start by saying that both of these balls are AMAZING. The Black is a ball that I would compare to a ProV1x; long and straight, with above average short game spin. The Chrome is a ball that I would say is somewhere between a Bridgestone RX and ProV1; it is long, straight, soft, and has a ton of short game spin. I used the Black on 9 holes and the Chrome on 9 holes. Both balls performed great and I plan on keeping a stock of both balls. The Chrome is my ball of choice, as it's really long, straight, and has a ton of short game spin. The Black will be my choice when conditions are a little softer and I don't need so much speed. You really can't go wrong with either of these balls.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm intrigued that you liked the Chrome off the tee (with regard to distance) given that I know you have a lot of clubhead speed. I found that I lost a bit of ballspeed with the Chrome vs. the Black, and my clubhead speed is not what yours is. Overall, though, I would agree that both are good balls.

What did you think about the feel? Did you find one softer than the other? How about in comparison to other balls?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm intrigued that you liked the Chrome off the tee (with regard to distance) given that I know you have a lot of clubhead speed. I found that I lost a bit of ballspeed with the Chrome vs. the Black, and my clubhead speed is not what yours is. Overall, though, I would agree that both are good balls.

What did you think about the feel? Did you find one softer than the other? How about in comparison to other balls?

I thought they both felt pretty soft, the Chrome a little more so. I know the Chrome says it's for moderate swing speeds, but it certainly didn't feel as mushy as the RX or RXS, but it was softer than a ProV1. There were two holes that I played that were just massive bombs with the Chrome; one was the par 5 13th that is 558yds, it is a dog leg right and off the tee it was into the wind and for the second shot it was mostly right to left. I hit a beautiful low rolling tee shot that left me 284 out, directly in the center of the fairway; I was just trying to get close for my 3rd and I put it 20' from the pin. The 2nd one was on the 350yd par 4 18th; there was a helping right to left wind and I put my tee shot almost pin high, to the right of the green. I didn't hit them side by side, but based on the positions I was in, I was pretty similar in distance. I'll try to hit them side by side to get a real good comparison. As far as comparable balls, for me, the Black felt a bit like the ProV1X and the Chrome is like a RXS and ProV1 had a baby.

How would you compare them to the Callaway is and iz balls? How is their durability? Tour Callaways have been amongst my favorites for years, but I can't stand the fact that the covers would tear with a well struck ball and clean grooves, I've even torn them with a 9 iron! The is and iz seemed a bit more durable than the i and ix, I'm hoping to hear that that trend has continued.

I replaced the Callaway with the Penta primarily because of durability, but having won a bunch of Callaway is balls I've been playing them again. Really love the spin I get with the wedges and irons, I think they are the best ball for that.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I can't compare them to the is or iz, because I haven't played them. I used to love the ix, but as you said, after about three wedge shots, they were shredded. Balls have come so far in the past couple years, as far as durability is concerned. I have played 45 holes, switching back and forth with both balls, and they are still in great shape. They have an awesome penetrating flight and great spin on full shots.

I really can't tell much of a difference between the two balls. The Chrome is just a hair softer, generating a little more spin; I'd say the Black is a hop and stop, while the Chrome is a hop and back up. I hit them both on a couple holes today and they were literally side by side, maybe one or the other would be a little longer, but we're talking inches. I think I'm going to go with the Chrome, just because it is offered in yellow and I can see the yellow balls so much better throughout their flight.

These are the first Callaway balls that don't feel like rocks. I've been on Callaway Staff for awhile now and this is the first year I am proud to say I play that golf ball because I actually do. :lol: Reminds me a lot of the Penta golf ball. ProV1X spins a ton more than this off the driver and especially off the irons. Go out and try a sleeve

Archived