Significant Others

JBones

So, who here is lucky enough to have their significant others play golf with them? I know some people wouldn't view this as "lucky", but I enjoy playing golf with my wife. She only plays the par 3, because she can't hit a wood. She's pretty darn good though, shes about a 4 handi on a par 3 course. We played a round when she was 8 months pregnant with our daughter and she lipped out three hole in ones in a row, she even beat me on the round. I would like her to be competitive on a regulation course, but trying to give her pointers is about as easy as taking a trout from a hungry grizzly.

When my wife and I first started dating she would go to the driving range with me and we would play every once in a while. She has tons of talent and could hit a driver with a nice high fade well over 200 yards in the air. Now, with 2 kids, work and such she doesn't play at all anymore (at least 7 years now). Unfortunetly I barely play either. Its hard to have a passion like Golf and have a spouse/ significant who doesn't have one. Its hard to understand the importance of it when you don't have something to compare it too. With all of that said, I would love to play with my wife again. She's my best friend, isn't that who you are suppose to play Golf with....

KWheels 

JB.. I'm like you. I feel lucky to have my best friend/wife as my "normal" golf partner. She probably plays about half as much as I do, but we always have a good time when we play together.

Talent wise, when I can get her to quit "popping up" like a danged jack in the box, she's in the fairway off the tee and about 180 with her drives. She hits irons and hybrids pretty well and is typically on the green about the same time I am. She couldn't one putt to save her life from 8" though and I can't get her to spend more than 3 minutes on the practice green.

She "grew up" in a home along a country club in Sacto, Calif and her brother had a full-ride to U-Cal Sacto playing golf till he discovered women and lost interest. With her upbringing, she has a good outlook toward the game and she does a lot to keep my focused when I start screwing up shots.

Oh.. and yeah... she kicks my ass on par 3 courses... LOL!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I would like to get my wife to play more, but pretty much all of her time is taken with our 3 year old. She has one of those disgustingly natural golf swings that allows her to take months off at a time, then come back to the range and hit balls with no problem. B)

Ironically, she's the one who got me started on the game. But when she saw how hooked I got, she herself got turned off a bit. :D

Mine doesn't play and doesn't understand...

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

My wife has no interest what so ever, but supports me playing, which is quite cool. Appearntly it's "weird" when I'm home on golf night now heh.

Though it think part of the pass and support I got from her comes from the fact that I need to golf for work. I get invited out by clients all the time and you can certainly see some of their attitudes change if you don't go. Thus all the money I've spent on golf recently falls under "work investment"

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Mine doesn't play and doesn't understand...

+1 However, since this is my second time around, I warned her long before "I do" that I was addicted to golf and NASCAR. When I am playing/practicing golf, or watching/listening to the race I do NOT want to be disturbed/called/annoyed/etc unless these two questions can be answered in the affirmative.

1) Did someone die?

2) Did I like the deceased?

My wife started playing 3 or 4 years ago and has been playing more as our daughter gets older (my daughter has been taking lessons for 3 years now too, she's 9).

I did the smart thing, when my wife expressed and interest in golf we went and got her clubs and I booked her for lessons with our course pro. Best thing I've ever done! I try to stay completely out of swing instruction! The hardest thing for me is trying to help her select a club! I'm always telling her to take less than she should! She typically takes a couple sessions of lessons a year and we play 9 holes every Friday and usually a few other times a year. She's not serious about the game, but she has a great swing and breaks 50 on 9 about 1/2 the time. For as much as I play, she gives me very little grief about it!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Great topic. My wife does play, and plays very well. She doesn't have the obsession that I do and only plays maybe 5-6 times a year, but she's very good and I love playing with her. I started her out playing with my clubs, and that was ok, but once I got her clubs that actually fit her, she was off to the races. She can hit her drives around 200 yards and break 100 on a regulation course. I also credit her with helping me improve my attitude 100%; I used to be a walking temper tantrum and now I very rarely get upset on the course anymore.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I also credit her with helping me improve my attitude 100%; I used to be a walking temper tantrum and now I very rarely get upset on the course anymore.

LOL... same here. If I start getting ticked off, she does something to calm me down as soon as she notices. :lol:

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

My wife has played since her high school years, she is a very good player as well. Most of her scores are in the mid 80's from the white tees.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

The wife has no interest at all (or in sports general, and I am sports nut). I have tried to get her out, if only to drive the cart. She always mentions how much fun it looks to drive it. Maybe one day.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

My wife has definitely helped with this as well. She used to make me ride around on my club like in Happy Gilmore after I got pissed off playing. Gave me a new spin on things to not take it so personal when I played poorly..

KWheels 

Archived