Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway Enters "premium" market with Epic irons?!

Premium PROFIT if they sell, and they will (lot's a guys trying to buy that extra 0.5mph ball speed you get with these irons...) lol. I bet Callaway can make about 200.00 on each club they sell or more. That's a heck of a profit. We all know the saying " there's a sucker born every minute ". What I really want to see is how many staffers will bag these and for how long?

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premium PROFIT if they sell, and they will (lot's a guys trying to buy that extra 0.5mph ball speed you get with these irons...) lol. I bet Callaway can make about 200.00 on each club they sell or more. That's a heck of a profit. We all know the saying " there's a sucker born every minute ". What I really want to see is how many staffers will bag these and for how long?

Looks like the first Callaway staffer is Colon Montgomery, though a senior tour player

IMG_1145.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Why can't you get fit for these clubs?? Who said you can't? I'm sure if I'm buying them they will make them to my specs, right??

i'm sure they can, but most likely at an additional charge at where ever you purchase them which is my issue. For that kind of money i would expect a personalized fitting from a certified Callaway rep. 

Maybe it's just me but i think premium prices should come with premium service.

I hope i am wrong about this and Callaway will do this with each set as they seem to be a customer driven company. . 

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Looks like the first Callaway staffer is Colon Montgomery, though a senior tour player

attachicon.gifIMG_1145.JPG

And theres your target market. "Senior" money. Golf has always been more money than sense to now rude money on the course and no sense. All I know is there is a lot of good clubs out there for these kind of dollars. And a fool and his money......

Based on the last few product releases we have been talking about, it seems to me the PXG has established that there is a demand and market for, "premium" equipment. If that market is there, and they're ignoring it, they are fools, particularly in the dog eat dog world of the golf equipment industry. No one is about to give away a profitable piece of the pie. You have to put a product in that segment if for no other reason than to prevent your competitors from locking it down. 

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Not a huge fan of the looks. For the price point, id think it would have a cleaner look. The tech is interesting, and am curious to see reviews on it. Regardless....I'll stick with my CF16's.

Only way I'd consider these is if they were guaranteed to take me from a 16hdc to a scratch golfer instantly...

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Were these going to be a "normal" release though? They look like the replacement for the steelhead. Someone just said "hey we are missing out on a market share, charge double for the new clubs!" The Epic driver isn't a "premium" driver... by cost anyways. And it's it has the same name...

Or the XR/XR Pro replacement

i'm sure they can, but most likely at an additional charge at where ever you purchase them which is my issue. For that kind of money i would expect a personalized fitting from a certified Callaway rep.

Maybe it's just me but i think premium prices should come with premium service.

I hope i am wrong about this and Callaway will do this with each set as they seem to be a customer driven company. .

I can't imagine that if you go to any Callaway authorized fitting center or other retailers that they would charge you for the fitting if you buy the irons from them, maybe I'm wrong but just can't see that.

These clubs share the same technology thats in the 2016 Big Bertha OS irons. I guess an extra $100 per club gets you all that technology in a slimmer, more socially accepted package?

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

Say what you want about the irons, I'll be purchasing an Epic hybrid on release day.

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

It's no wonder golf is a dyeing sport. It's so expensive to get equipped and to play. If everybody would roll back prices golf would come back in a big way

If you do some research you would see that, adjusted for inflation, cost of most golf equipment has not gone up over the years

Wow these look so horrible. I don't get how they can charge a premium price for cheap carbon fiber look badging and .5 ball speed increases. With so many other great options out there I don't foresee them selling these to anyone except callaway cult groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do some research you would see that, adjusted for inflation, cost of most golf equipment has not gone up over the years

Agree here. Just seems really high up because. Par clubs are in the 110-150 range each. My dad paid $975 for my set of DCI oversized 2-PW back in 2000 for the high school golf team that I got cut the following week from.

I had a lot of grass to cut, and extra chores to do for the rest of the season...

- Alan

• 1 month later...

I think these are over priced, $250 a club!! That's double the price of their Apex line!

I did hit the hybrid this week as my club Pro is a Callaway staffer....it's easily 12-15 longer than my XR hybrid with the exact same loft!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Callaway has been in this market for a while.  Go research GBB Tungsten-Titanium irons followed by GBB Hawkeye irons.  Both were around the same price. 

PXG has done nothing but market towards a clientele that Callaway had proven already existed and has done a better job of making them feel good about their purchase by saying that they are "exclusive."

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

The Epic irons don't interest me too much money. There are a lot of really nice clubs from a lot of makers that look better than the Epic and 1/2 the price.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

The epic irons to me look just like the big Bertha irons from last year with different colors.

I looked a t clubs this morning and was unimpressed with the Epic irons.

Rick

Left Hand, 

This weekend I played in a local tournament and noticed one guy had a completely new bag of PXG gear and I mean from top to bottom.  Now this guy has money so it was apparent he went with PXG purely for the "look at me" status when on the range/course.  If that's your thing and you've got the money then go for it.  He still wasn't very good and I easily beat him so it's obvious that it's all about the indian and not the arrow.

That said, if Callaway is going after the PXG market I struggle to see how their brand exudes premium.  I think Apex was positioned really well but I just don't see their Epic irons (still a terrible name BTW) doing much of anything at all.

Yep, if anything, margin has steadily dropped for OEMs over the last two decades.

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Just to tie this into a thread Shankster made a while back; these are ugly. I get the technology in these is amazing, and the production tolerances are top notch. I'm sure it's a fantastic iron but why would you put a carbon fiber sticker on the back of an iron? Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I've read about the technology in these clubs indicates that the carbon fiber is purely cosmetic, most likely, designed to match the metal woods where it's actually a construction component. Does carbon fiber look expensive and thus aid in the separation of fools and their money? I just don't get it, the whole carbon fiber facade thing just seems very dated and ugly. Shame because they appear to be really fantastic clubs.

Yep, if anything, margin has steadily dropped for OEMs over the last two decades.

I didn't know about the "margins" dropping but it does make sense.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Hit the pros yesterday and they felt great. If I only had 2000 dollars to burn lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Just to tie this into a thread Shankster made a while back; these are ugly. I get the technology in these is amazing, and the production tolerances are top notch. I'm sure it's a fantastic iron but why would you put a carbon fiber sticker on the back of an iron? Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I've read about the technology in these clubs indicates that the carbon fiber is purely cosmetic, most likely, designed to match the metal woods where it's actually a construction component. Does carbon fiber look expensive and thus aid in the separation of fools and their money? I just don't get it, the whole carbon fiber facade thing just seems very dated and ugly. Shame because they appear to be really fantastic clubs.

Carbon fiber is cool for civic hoods... in 1993

- Alan

Archived