Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Pride Align opinions

On my recent trip to the Twin Cities, I got to go to some golf stores and handle merchandise that I'd only seen in pictures. One piece of tech that I had found interesting in theory were the Golf Pride Align grips, which have a rib running the length of the grip. They are within USGA rules for such things, even though (technically) they are asymmetrical.

There is also a GolfWorks kit in which ribs like this can be added to any other grip: https://www.golfworks.com/grip-supply-kit-with-reminder-ribs/p/gripkitr/

What surprised me is that when I picked one of the Align grips out of the bin, the rib was completely unnoticeable to the touch. In hindsight, perhaps it is because it wasn't installed: if the rib is inside the grip, it wouldn't protrude at all until the grip were shafted.

So my questions: has anyone used either the GP Align grips or the GolfWorks ribs? Are the alignment features noticeable in your hands? And does it make any difference at all in your clubface awareness?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

You're not alone. I was at Golf Galaxy a while back and decided I wanted to see what the hype was about with these grips. When I grabbed one out of the bin, I was like you, I was expecting a more pronounced rib. I thought maybe when I installed it, it would be more noticeable. But, even after putting it on, there still wasn't much going on. Not really a fan.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

You're not alone. I was at Golf Galaxy a while back and decided I wanted to see what the hype was about with these grips. When I grabbed one out of the bin, I was like you, I was expecting a more pronounced rib. I thought maybe when I installed it, it would be more noticeable. But, even after putting it on, there still wasn't much going on. Not really a fan.

That's a shame. It's also probably how they got the grip through USGA rule nannies.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I believe it's based on an older idea called a "reminder"; ie. the bump "reminds" you where to place your fingers.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I received mine from Golf Pride to review. It's going on my new driver shaft, so we'll see, but I'm in the same boat: it doesn't feel any different than my other MCC+4 grips. I think it's just another marketing ploy, to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have the align grip installed on my driver and your conclusion is correct, you can feel it more once installed. Especially if you have extra wraps of tape underneath.

I sort of notice it when playing but my complaint is you don't notice it enough. Meaning if the club was not lined up properly there isn't enough feel to alert my brain to correct the club head. Prior to swinging

Another issue is this only shows you the club alignment. Your club could he square to you body but you body could be off line.

Final issue with this grip is that it is heavy. It can change the swing weight of your club so if you are sensitive to that you may want to pass.

I had really high hopes for this grip. I wanted something that I could "alert" me in case my club was offline. Sort of like a reactive effect. What this grip offers is more proactive. Meaning at address is you can feel for the rib and see if your club is set up properly, but you have to take that extra step.

I hope this makes sense. I won't be installing these on any of my other clubs but I would be cutting it off my driver either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You guys are all bumming me out: are you seriously telling me that gimmicks don't work? :)

Full WITB with pictures

I have swung a couple of buddies clubs with the Align grips installed on them and I can definitely feel the "rib". It seems to be more so a textural difference from the rest of the grip rather than a large raised section.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I've used them and the answers are yes, yes, and yes.

Yes, I tried them on my woods (D, 3W, H) last summer.

Yes, the features are very noticeable once installed. Much in the same way the grip size increases and the cords become more pronounced, the alignment aid is very noticeable.

And yes, it makes a difference in clubface angle. I definitely noticed when the Dick's employee installed them crooked as it forced a shut clubface with a natural grip.

I think they're very good grips. Highly recommended. The only reason I don't have them anymore is because 1) I sold 2 of the clubs they were attached to and 2) I replaced all the rest of my grips with PURE grips.

Since you like to do club work, I'd 100% recommend you install them yourself if you're doing anything more than a trial. The alignment and cord lines are so specific that you'll notice a big difference if they're off even a millimeter. When I went back to Dick's to get them fixed, I stayed with the guy and fiddled with the alignment while the tape was wet for a good 5 minutes until I had them how I wanted.

PS. This was the incident that inspired me to re-up on my gripping supplies

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I have them installed on all my clubs, yes I notice them, they are not overly noticeable but a reminder or help to make certain your club face is aligned, I love them, just wish I knew the tour velvets where coming out as I would have waited for them, my only complaint is the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I put the Aligns on my old set of Karsten III's last year before I got my GMax irons. The rib is indeed "subtle" at best-mostly imperceptible really. So I left them on those and went with regular MCC+4's on the Max's.

Been trying to sell the old irons on eBay, but no joy so far. Someone though is gonna get a heck of a deal one of these days since the grips are worth more than the clubs... ;)

s-l64 (1).jpg

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I put the Aligns on my old set of Karsten III's last year before I got my GMax irons. The rib is indeed "subtle" at best-mostly imperceptible really. So I left them on those and went with regular MCC+4's on the Max's.

That's a good point there. The main ones you'll see in stores are of the +4 variety and l admit that the rib is hardly noticeable on those. I tried that first because that's all that was available and hated it. Sold that club as well.

My second go around, I went with base midsize aligns and noticed the difference immediately like I stated in my previous post.

You'll likely need to search online to find them without the +4 padding. That is my recommended route for you.

And yes, it makes a difference in clubface angle. I definitely noticed when the Dick's employee installed them crooked as it forced a shut clubface with a natural grip.

Let me be a bit pickier on the question: I assume that they are most noticeable in setup (which is vital). Would you say they also increased clubface awareness during the swing?

Full WITB with pictures

Let me be a bit pickier on the question: I assume that they are most noticeable in setup (which is vital). Would you say they also increased clubface awareness during the swing?

I would say yes to that as well if only just. Since I play a fade, I don't have a ton of club face rotation in my swing and I'm certainly not good enough with my hands to manipulate the face angle mid-swing.

While mid-swing awareness is there, your buy/don't buy decision should be based on whether or not you want help taking the same exact grip every time.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I would say yes to that as well if only just. Since I play a fade, I don't have a ton of club face rotation in my swing and I'm certainly not good enough with my hands to manipulate the face angle mid-swing.

While mid-swing awareness is there, your buy/don't buy decision should be based on whether or not you want help taking the same exact grip every time.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

You said it best, these probably help most with your grip at setup.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Since STUD brought up crooked installation, I wanted to share another little known rules tidbit on that particular subject from my competitive playing days. It was a Adams Pro Golf Tour Series event and the leader after 72 holes on this particular week was playing with a GP Tour Velvet reminder grip on his driver. On the last hole of the tournament, his playing partner noticed the reminder grip was installed with ~30 degree clockwise rotation. So if you were looking at the butt, the reminder was positioned at about 7:45 on a clock face (rules stipulate the rib must aligned with the club face, either at 6:00 or 12:00). At the completion of the round, the leader was approached about the offset grip installation by his playing partner. While I didn't personally witness the exchange, apparently the tournament leader promptly walked into the scorer's tent, disqualified himself and hightailed it out of the parking lot. In other words, the off center grip installation was intentional despite knowing it was a rules infraction. So the apparent wire-to-wire leader went from first to worst; forfeiting ~$18K in the process and forever tarnishing his rep.

The reason I mention it today centers on the golf industry's near ubiquitous move toward adjustable metal woods. For those of you who like to tinker with the loft settings, a ribbed grip installed correctly for one setting will suddenly be non-conforming at an alternate setting. Now I'm not suggesting that we all play at the competition levels where the aforementioned scenario has the same gravity; but I know guys in my men's club group that would happily crucify a playing competitor for the same infraction. Moral of the story, if you continually play around with driver settings, a reminder grip could be problematic.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Since STUD brought up crooked installation, I wanted to share another little known rules tidbit on that particular subject from my competitive playing days. It was a Adams Pro Golf Tour Series event and the leader after 72 holes on this particular week was playing with a GP Tour Velvet reminder grip on his driver. On the last hole of the tournament, his playing partner noticed the reminder grip was installed with ~30 degree clockwise rotation. So if you were looking at the butt, the reminder was positioned at about 7:45 on a clock face (rules stipulate the rib must aligned with the club face, either at 6:00 or 12:00). At the completion of the round, the leader was approached about the offset grip installation by his playing partner. While I didn't personally witness the exchange, apparently the tournament leader promptly walked into the scorer's tent, disqualified himself and hightailed it out of the parking lot. In other words, the off center grip installation was intentional despite knowing it was a rules infraction. So the apparent wire-to-wire leader went from first to worst; forfeiting ~$18K in the process and forever tarnishing his rep.

The reason I mention it today centers on the golf industry's near ubiquitous move toward adjustable metal woods. For those of you who like to tinker with the loft settings, a ribbed grip installed correctly for one setting will suddenly be non-conforming at an alternate setting. Now I'm not suggesting that we all play at the competition levels where the aforementioned scenario has the same gravity; but I know guys in my men's club group that would happily crucify a playing competitor for the same infraction. Moral of the story, if you continually play around with driver settings, a reminder grip could be problematic.

Very good point here. I had the standard MCC Align on a TM M1. I started playing with the hosel adjustments and the rib was now 45 degrees counterclockwise and in my palm. I know Callaway would not be an issue as the adjustment comes from the cogs on the adapter and the shaft stays in the same position.

I mention these for the wierd positioning it put me into with the TM driver. I have no tournament experience and honestly did not know about that particular rules stipulation.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

You would have to find that rule for

Me because I can seem to find anything in the rules regarding the grips rub alignment having to match the face angle. There are rules about the grip design such as the rib must be the full length of the grip nor can the grip have reminders that indicate hand placement. Rubbed grips have been in existence longer than round grips. Also by the rule you are indicating, if the club is build with an open or closed face the rib alignment would have to be offset by the same amount. The issue does exist with ribbed grips that if you rotate the shaft on today's adjustable drivers, the rib will no longer be in the down position.

Update: did some additional searches and found that there are dimensions and maximum height for the rib and that the rib must be straight. Still nothing on install requirements other than the grip and shaft must be on the same axis which wouldn't relate to a tuba orientation.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I read the rules on grips just now, it doesn't say anything on how it must be aligned, it just gives a size dimension for it.

To the original question. I have the align grips on my irons, I love the feel of them, they are pretty comfortable in the hands. I also have it on my 3 wood and have for about a year, it is really nice on that club. I haven't had any issues with them so far.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

This rule seems odd as you could get the same effect with grip tape build up if need be.  Look at what Bubba does with his wraps of tape.  I couldn't find any rule stating the above.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Update: did some additional searches and found that there are dimensions and maximum height for the rib and that the rib must be straight. Still nothing on install requirements other than the grip and shaft must be on the same axis which wouldn't relate to a tuba orientation.

I believe you are correct re: general face angle orientation. My personal experience with the aforementioned tourney setting was over a decade ago so my recollection was obviously a little sketchy. After doing more digging on that specific incident, the player in question was actually in violation of the "straight rib" stipulation. More specifically, the orientation of the rib under his bottom hand was at 6 o'clock but the grip was intentionally twisted ~30 degrees on the butt end so that it was oriented at 7:45 under his top hand. Intentional uniform violation and subsequent DQ.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

This so called "align technology" is not new by any stretch of the imagination. I used to play back in the 70's those old green GP Victory grips that had the slightly raised rib. Back then it wasn't called technology. Maybe they called it a reminder or something.

Just last night a friend came over to use my grip station. He was regriping with the MCC+4 with Align. However, instead of installing the grips with the align rib inline with the face or parallel as normal he offset the align rib slightly favoring his strong right hand. So in other words, if you were looking down the shaft at address the align rib would be at about 4:30 or 5 O'clock position instead of 6 O'clock.

I have a too have a strong right hand and this positioning of the rib felt good to me also.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That's a good point there. The main ones you'll see in stores are of the +4 variety and l admit that the rib is hardly noticeable on those. I tried that first because that's all that was available and hated it. Sold that club as well.

My second go around, I went with base midsize aligns and noticed the difference immediately like I stated in my previous post.

You'll likely need to search online to find them without the +4 padding. That is my recommended route for you.

I haven't played either the +4 or standard size yet but I've held both connected to a driver shaft at my local pro shop but I've had similar experience in the +4 couldn't really feel it and I had no glove on at the time but on the standard grip I could easily sense it and it piqued my interest and I may give them a go on my next regrip

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think It was Gary player who said he used to offset the seam/rib in his grip so it sat differently in his hand, and I think he said it was like 4mm or something like that, and if it wasn't just right he could tell. That was years ago when I heard that so I could be remember wrong.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived