Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Callaway Epic Flash Drivers

I sure wish I could see all of these Stage 2s in the Tapatalk app, or even the MGS app... Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I sure wish I could see all of these Stage 2s in the Tapatalk app, or even the MGS app... Ugh.

If you scroll to the top in Tapatalk it’s post #3, 5, 7, and 9.

Thank you to the Mods for reserving the space for the stage 2s. It would be a big pain to find them in the apps otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If you scroll to the top in Tapatalk it’s post #3, 5, 7, and 9.

Thank you to the Mods for reserving the space for the stage 2s. It would be a big pain to find them in the apps otherwise.

Yeah, for some reason only about two sentences show. I’ve even copied the URL and that didn’t work.... Probably my phone.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Great stage-II's fellas! A couple of good zingers had me rollin'..."Jamaican Bobsled Team" & "Boomtown USA" come immediately to mind..! Everyone did a superb job and you all should be proud of your hard work being displayed here so well. Cheers all!

Thanks PA. It's been fun to be a part of also been enjoyable to see the results of Ping review. Keep the PB's coming!

• Like 2

Yeah, for some reason only about two sentences show. I’ve even copied the URL and that didn’t work.... Probably my phone.

I get errors saying missing link or no access rights when I click the links. But skipping back to the top seemed to work.

At any rate, I ended up reading them on my computer! Haha

Great job on all the stage 2s. Callaway certainly had a performer on their hands and it looks like The staff selected some good MGSers to thoroughly review them.
@sirchunksalot I’m slightly shocked that the Flash So handily beat out your G400 LST. That club seems to already gained Classic status with its cult following. Let me know if you need somewhere to send it! Haha

Great job testers! Thanks for your honest feedback and backing it all up with some great numbers!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Great job testers! Thanks for your honest feedback and backing it all up with some great numbers!

This was so much fun. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm a numbers person so getting to see everyone's stats is very satisfying.

1 hour ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Great stage-II's fellas! A couple of good zingers had me rollin'..."Jamaican Bobsled Team" & "Boomtown USA" come immediately to mind..! Everyone did a superb job and you all should be proud of your hard work being displayed here so well. Cheers all!

Thanks for the kind words, PA! Thanks for chiming in. Love the interaction we've had in this thread, not only between us but also our readers. 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

great job on the stage 2's gents!  very impressive.

It seems you all had a great time and generally noticed the same things - color scheme/sound.

Funny that no one liked the color scheme they chose.  I wonder who came up with it?  They really should stick with the basic red/white/blue colors.  Good thing it's just on the bottom of the club so you can't see it at address.  🙂

Wonder if any of you guys would entertain changing the paint fill to something else?  

Was it the green?  the yellow?  or the combination of both?

Needless to say - if this is the first driver built on AI and with all the success, I don't see how Callaway goes away from it.

I will clarify a bit on the color scheme. I love the loud head cover, and I'm not completely hating on the color scheme choice. I like to be loud with my color choices in golf attire (a rather vibrant coral color has made its way into my wordrobe lately), so the head cover and club are natural extensions of that.

What I dislike is the amount of color used on the bottom. The green and yellow are fine, and as @yungkory pointed out, they look great on the crown. But there is just so much green on the bottom. Callaway should have added more chrome or black instead, and left the green and yellow to just accent colors.

• Like 5

I just want to say thanks to all of you who have been involved in this thread, every one of you have been great commenting, asking questions, and being encouraging.

@B.Boston I'm really surprised, too. The G400 LST is a phenomenal driver, I think it all comes down to consistency. The Flash just his the ball straight, most of my left misses were just pulls with no side movement. The Ping just had a tendency to want to slice a bit. I sometimes wonder if I might eventually want to reshaft it to a stiff and see what happens.

On the color, I'll agree with@edingc and@yungkory that the combination is good - in moderation. Too much is just not the best look, but as @GolfSpyStroker said, at least it's on the bottom. When it all comes down to it, the performance trumps looks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

OK, I take everything back that I said nice about my fellow testers. How can you like that color?? 🤮

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

OK, I take everything back that I said nice about my fellow testers. How can you like that color?? 
I think it might be like a fungus and is starting to grow on me a little. Honestly, I think Callaway should have went with a green the color of faded dollar bills because this thing is money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Great stage 2’s guys. Seems everyone is experiencing less side spin which is definitely something I could use. Looks like I need to find a place to hit this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

great job on the stage 2's gents!  very impressive.

It seems you all had a great time and generally noticed the same things - color scheme/sound.

Funny that no one liked the color scheme they chose.  I wonder who came up with it?  They really should stick with the basic red/white/blue colors.  Good thing it's just on the bottom of the club so you can't see it at address.  🙂

Wonder if any of you guys would entertain changing the paint fill to something else?  

Was it the green?  the yellow?  or the combination of both?

Needless to say - if this is the first driver built on AI and with all the success, I don't see how Callaway goes away from it.

6 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Thanks for the kind words. 

It is interesting that we all had basically the same take on colors and the sound. Both colors are horrible and the headcover makes it worse. My guess is that if the performance wasn't as great as it is, those two things could be a deal breaker. I have thought about doing some paint fill but I'm a little OCD so not sure if I could handle it if it wasn't perfect.  I would imagine that in the not to distant future it won't be just Callaway doing AI, it will be everyone. 

I'm not a fan of the color scheme at all. It is just TOO MUCH green/yellow, and I totally agree about the headcover -- I've been searching for a custom replacement since day 1 of receiving the driver, but can't find something I'm totally sold on. I don't trust myself to change the paintfill as part of a DIY project, so I'm thankful that the crown looks nice and the hideous color scheme is only on the bottom like @GolfSpy Stroker mentioned.

One thing I forgot to mention in my Stage 2 was that most of my strokes are gained on the tee box, and that this club definitely helps me achieve this:

image.png.44b79c34d6c888bbb2e528b46afeb8ec.png

image.png.6ba89c88bccb4ea5f5a333fa0ae65cb9.png

image.png.102551a4559724d44c9f47dfa6ea1eb6.png

It might be that the rest of my game is just a total dumpster fire at the minute but who knows. I wish I could just get 13 Epic Flashes in corresponding lengths and lofts and tee the ball up on every shot 😭

• Like 4

I have some great updates to share since the stage two reviews went up earlier this week.

I played my regular Tuesday morning nine holes and had a couple awesome drives, including a 240-yard opening drive that left me a 60 degree wedge in to the green. I burned the right edge of the hole on my birdie attempt from 12 feet, but I'll always take a tap-in par to start a round.

20190604_072439(0).jpg.a8264f7981e03a0d4fd8e025d358e42d.jpg

Yesterday, I played in the work scramble I referenced in earlier posts and my stage one. Last year, my horrific play almost made me give up golf for good. This year was so much better.

I had a great warm up on the range, and it carried over to the course. Our team shot a 65 (-7), which was in the upper half of the leaderboard.

We used my drives on four of the nine holes where we hit driver. That's a huge confidence boost for me to take into the second half of my golf season.

The course we played is a very tight Links-style course, and it severely punishes drives that go too far left or right. There were a few drives where I was certain I had hit the ball far too left or right, but I was surprised to find my ball not far off of the fairway. So much forgiveness to the Epic Flash.

Two holes really stand out. Hole No. 1 (our third of the day) is a reachable par 5, guarded by a creek running in front of a very shallow green. I smacked my drive right in the middle of the fairway, pulled a 4 iron from 190-ish and landed just on the front of the green. One of my playing partners drained the 50-60 foot eagle putt. By far our best hole of the day!

I didn't have my GPS running, but I hit my longest drive of the year on hole No. 12. There is a power pole marking the start of a small dog leg right. I setup aiming left of the pole, playing my baby fade, and just crushed the ball. It faded around the power pole and landed in the fairway beyond. Based on my Google Maps estimation, the drive totaled somewhere between 265-275 yards, which is a bomb for me.

1824794982_driveonhole13.jpg.d146bfd5bfa0a98665402c18feeeac20.jpg

20190605_174519.jpg.b2558dae65d39d42646e37caca7877e6.jpg

Ironically, we ended up not taking my drive on this hole as one of my playing partners hit the same distance but had a slightly better angle to the pin.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I have some great updates to share since the stage two reviews went up earlier this week.

I played my regular Tuesday morning nine holes and had a couple awesome drives, including a 240-yard opening drive that left me a 60 degree wedge in to the green. I burned the right edge of the hole on my birdie attempt from 12 feet, but I'll always take a tap-in par to start a round.
20190604_072439(0).jpg.a8264f7981e03a0d4fd8e025d358e42d.jpg

Yesterday, I played in the work scramble I referenced in earlier posts and my stage one. Last year, my horrific play almost made me give up golf for good. This year was so much better.

I had a great warm up on the range, and it carried over to the course. Our team shot a 65 (-7), which was in the upper half of the leaderboard.

We used my drives on four of the nine holes where we hit driver. That's a huge confidence boost for me to take into the second half of my golf season.

The course we played is a very tight Links-style course, and it severely punishes drives that go too far left or right. There were a few drives where I was certain I had hit the ball far too left or right, but I was surprised to find my ball not far off of the fairway. So much forgiveness to the Epic Flash.

Two holes really stand out. Hole No. 1 (our third of the day) is a reachable par 5, guarded by a creek running in front of a very shallow green. I smacked my drive right in the middle of the fairway, pulled a 4 iron from 190-ish and landed just on the front of the green. One of my playing partners drained the 50-60 foot eagle putt. By far our best hole of the day!

I didn't have my GPS running, but I hit my longest drive of the year on hole No. 12. There is a power pole marking the start of a small dog leg right. I setup aiming left of the pole, playing my baby fade, and just crushed the ball. It faded around the power pole and landed in the fairway beyond. Based on my Google Maps estimation, the drive totaled somewhere between 265-275 yards, which is a bomb for me.1824794982_driveonhole13.jpg.d146bfd5bfa0a98665402c18feeeac20.jpg
20190605_174519.jpg.b2558dae65d39d42646e37caca7877e6.jpg
Ironically, we ended up not taking my drive on this hole as one of my playing partners hit the same distance but had a slightly better angle to the pin.

That's a couple of great rounds and a monster drive! It's really good to hear that the Callaway has given you confidence off the tee and the fact you all used your drives four times is great to hear.

I think some of the weather you've experienced is moving down south, as we are predicted to get storms all weekend. I didn't play last weekend to dedicate time to building a flower bed for the wife she's been dreaming about for a while. She's been amazing through this test, so I thought she deserved something special in return. I'm going to get my fix tomorrow by heading to my local launch monitor and seeing what numbers the Sub Zero can produce.

Again, awesome job@edingc! I think you're off to a good start heading into the second half of your golf season.

• Like 4

I keep expecting reality to set in and some backwards progression more towards what has been normal for me. It just is not happening. The Flash just continues to perform amazingly!

C34D1534-9984-433D-B813-4996984B141F.thumb.jpeg.7ebc0cbf88a2f0d93d4992e3ef6e08a2.jpeg99F0EEE1-7F45-4898-9AE8-04B298D11C92.thumb.jpeg.5dc41b13d1c31c6718f7fa6f2918bd3b.jpeg

• Like 4

😂🤣

So Arccos doesn't count driving the green on a par 4 a fairway hit!Capture.JPG.4a504fddac09110d1a1975021c5e420a.JPG

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Well, you did over shoot it. emoji23.png

A saber metric dilemma for sure. 

• Like 1

Well, you did over shoot it.

It can’t go in if it’s short! Hahaha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nope hit a good putt but didn't make it. Tap in birdies are always fun though. Haven't eagled that hole from the green, have 3 hole outs from off the green for eagle though. Maybe I'm better off missing it...

• Like 2