Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Putter Review

DriverBreaker

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 – Review

A little background
Let’s just start with this:  I am not a stellar putter.  I’m not even an average putter.  I’ve been known to be the ‘take a 6 footer for birdie and turn it into a 7 footer for par’ kind of putter.  I’d like to think part of it is due to the wide variation in greens I get to play on (anything from Plinko on the Price is Right to lightning fast U.S. Open greens), but the reality is I just haven’t been that good.  I’m a dad with limited income to spend on golf and little practice time.
I started this journey to become a Scratch golfer about two years ago.  Since then, I won a free full bag fitting through Club Champion and had a blast doing it.  My favorite part of the whole experience was the SAM PuttLab fitting.  According to the PuttLab, I’m a consistent slight puller of the putter.  My wonderful human of a fitter recommended mallet style with some toe hang.  He laid out a bunch of putters that fit this mold and I immediately started arching the putter rather than pulling it.  I had never really seen that arch path before and I thought I was going to push every putt 3 feet right of the hole.  Needless to say, I made 25 straight 8 foot putts before we re-tested with my favorite putter of the bunch (the Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4, which also happened to be the cheapest, go figure).
The thing that was instantly attractive about this putter was the fact that it could be adjusted for length.  I’m 5’8”, take an athletic posture with my putter, and have long arms.  Long story short, I need a short putter, but everything you can buy off the rack comes between 33-35” (or so it seems).  We cranked it down to 32.5” and bent the loft to 1 degree.  Oh……….my…………GAWD!!!  I’m in love, I’m in love, and I don’t care who knows it!!!
Eye Candy (aka Looks)
First off the looks.  This think is a beauty! 
Ping_back_resize10.jpg.0873808a8ba25d4e0755e1a8a9100d50.jpg
I love the tynes off the back, makes me think of a fighter jet’s wings.  Who doesn’t love fighter jets?!?  As an added bonus, they are very useful when picking the ball up after you just lagged that 40 footer to inside of 1 foot! 
Ping_bottom_resize.jpg.73fc5f6387fc512759c140c0b4a07c5f.jpg
Grip
The stock pistol grip is phenomenal as well.  It really helps me to get my thumbs on top of the grip and parallel to each other. 
Ping_grip_resize.jpg.b7822e7db10036a3d28c7b22bb14467d.jpgPingAdjustable_resize.jpg.88960dd60e3d4a24e3c8d37714e0fd94.jpg
Insert:
People seem to either love or hate insert putters.  I get it, there is soft and then there is too soft.  Not many people want to feel like they are hitting the golf ball with a marshmallow attached to a shaft.  The dual insert on the Ping Sigma 2 putter line is perfect for me.  Soft enough to feel good at impact, but not soft enough to make you question if you hit it hard enough.
PingFace.jpg.269bc99fc5de6b9301c60dcc23eba659.jpg

Overall:
I absolutely enjoy putting practice now!  Get this, you ready for it?  I’ve taken nothing but my putter to the golf course and spent over 1hr putting with my kids!?!  Crazy right? Who does that???  Not a single driver, iron, or wedge hit.  Pure putting. That’s how much I love this putter and how much confidence it gives me.
I’ve only had two rounds with it, but I’ve had 30 and 31 putts with it so far.  Both of those rounds had at least 3 putts that either lipped out or stopped within 1” of the hole.  Only one 3-putt (and that was on a 60 foot putt, all of my playing partners 3-putted that horrible green lol).  From 5-8 feet, I feel like it is going in all the time.
Had I the foresight to know that I would be joining MGS, I would have taken stats with my previous putters (yeah, I’m the guy who had like 7 putters all on the bench ready to get in the game whenever the starter started 3-putting) and run an ANOVA on putting metrics to see if this new putter is significantly better or if it is all in my head.  I have since sold those putters and am on the road to a single putter relationship.  You have to give this putter a try if you like the looks of a mallet style fang putter.  It also scored well this year and the previous model as well last year in the MSG putter tests.
Give this thing a look!!!!  I think I’m going to go roll some putts on my carpet!!!
Edited by ChasingScratch

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Very nice!  Glad you found a putter that you like and works well.  I did the same thing a couple of years ago, and I ended up with the Ping Sigma G Doon that I was fitted for at Ping HQ.  It's by far the best putter I have ever had.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very nice!  Glad you found a putter that you like and works well.  I did the same thing a couple of years ago, and I ended up with the Ping Sigma G Doon that I was fitted for at Ping HQ.  It's by far the best putter I have ever had.

While I’ll say that a properly fitted putter will be better for the golfer than one that looks good to them, if you can match both looks with function, you’ve got a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Thanks for the insight. I fell in love with this putter when PING released it but it didn’t really work well when I tried rolling it.

I’m glad you found a winner and wish you the best in your pursuit to become a better player.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Great mini review, thx. I'm happy with the putter I have now (full milled, no insert) but you have inspired me to get a putter fitting to see if maybe loft or lie could be tweaked (also been meaning to get my irons checked so now I "have to" 😉 go!).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

14 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

A little background
Let’s just start with this:  I am not a stellar putter.  I’m not even an average putter.  I’ve been known to be the ‘take a 6 footer for birdie and turn it into a 7 footer for par’ kind of putter.  I’d like to think part of it is due to the wide variation in greens I get to play on (anything from Plinko on the Price is Right to lightning fast U.S. Open greens), but the reality is I just haven’t been that good.  I’m a dad with limited income to spend on golf and little practice time.
I started this journey to become a Scratch golfer about two years ago.  Since then, I won a free full bag fitting through Club Champion and had a blast doing it.  My favorite part of the whole experience was the SAM PuttLab fitting.  According to the PuttLab, I’m a consistent slight puller of the putter.  My wonderful human of a fitter recommended mallet style with some toe hang.  He laid out a bunch of putters that fit this mold and I immediately started arching the putter rather than pulling it.  I had never really seen that arch path before and I thought I was going to push every putt 3 feet right of the hole.  Needless to say, I made 25 straight 8 foot putts before we re-tested with my favorite putter of the bunch (the Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4, which also happened to be the cheapest, go figure).
The thing that was instantly attractive about this putter was the fact that it could be adjusted for length.  I’m 5’8”, take an athletic posture with my putter, and have long arms.  Long story short, I need a short putter, but everything you can buy off the rack comes between 33-35” (or so it seems).  We cranked it down to 32.5” and bent the loft to 1 degree.  Oh……….my…………GAWD!!!  I’m in love, I’m in love, and I don’t care who knows it!!!
Eye Candy (aka Looks)
First off the looks.  This think is a beauty! emoji7.png
I love the tynes off the back, makes me think of a fighter jet’s wings.  Who doesn’t love fighter jets?!?  As an added bonus, they are very useful when picking the ball up after you just lagged that 40 footer to inside of 1 foot! emoji6.png
Grip
The stock pistol grip is phenomenal as well.  It really helps me to get my thumbs on top of the grip and parallel to each other. 
Ping_grip_resize.jpg.b7822e7db10036a3d28c7b22bb14467d.jpgPingAdjustable_resize.jpg.88960dd60e3d4a24e3c8d37714e0fd94.jpg
Insert:
People seem to either love or hate insert putters.  I get it, there is soft and then there is too soft.  Not many people want to feel like they are hitting the golf ball with a marshmallow attached to a shaft.  The dual insert on the Ping Sigma 2 putter line is perfect for me.  Soft enough to feel good at impact, but not soft enough to make you question if you hit it hard enough.

Overall:
I absolutely enjoy putting practice now!  Get this, you ready for it?  I’ve taken nothing but my putter to the golf course and spent over 1hr putting with my kids!?!  Crazy right? Who does that???  Not a single driver, iron, or wedge hit.  Pure putting. That’s how much I love this putter and how much confidence it gives me.
I’ve only had two rounds with it, but I’ve had 30 and 31 putts with it so far.  Both of those rounds had at least 3 putts that either lipped out or stopped within 1” of the hole.  Only one 3-putt (and that was on a 60 foot putt, all of my playing partners 3-putted that horrible green lol).  From 5-8 feet, I feel like it is going in all the time.
Had I the foresight to know that I would be joining MGS, I would have taken stats with my previous putters (yeah, I’m the guy who had like 7 putters all on the bench ready to get in the game whenever the starter started 3-putting) and run an ANOVA on putting metrics to see if this new putter is significantly better or if it is all in my head.  I have since sold those putters and am on the road to a single putter relationship.  You have to give this putter a try if you like the looks of a mallet style fang putter.  It also scored well this year and the previous model as well last year in the MSG putter tests.
Give this thing a look!!!!  I think I’m going to go roll some putts on my carpet!!!

I enjoyed your review. You keep chiming in like this you, just might be considered for something  official before the year is over 😉

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great mini review, thx. I'm happy with the putter I have now (full milled, no insert) but you have inspired me to get a putter fitting to see if maybe loft or lie could be tweaked (also been meaning to get my irons checked so now I "have to" go!).

Absolutely!! Make sure the loft and lie are what you need. Manufacturer tolerances do have a range, so just because it says 3* or whatever and lie 71* does not mean it is spot on.

WITB:

I enjoyed your review. You keep chiming in like this you, just might be considered for something  official before the year is over 

Thanks!! I’ll be reviewing more of my bag and a putting mat soon!

WITB:

Thanks for the insight. I fell in love with this putter when PING released it but it didn’t really work well when I tried rolling it.

I’m glad you found a winner and wish you the best in your pursuit to become a better player.

Thanks! Your example is a perfect explanation of MSG’s entire testing process. Just because a putter looks good to a player does not mean it is the best thing for them.

WITB:

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, ChasingScratch said:

A little background
Eye Candy (aka Looks)
First off the looks.  This think is a beauty! emoji7.png
I love the tynes off the back, makes me think of a fighter jet’s wings.  Who doesn’t love fighter jets?!?  As an added bonus, they are very useful when picking the ball up after you just lagged that 40 footer to inside of 1 foot! emoji6.png
Grip
Insert:

Overall:

I just bough t the sigma 2 Tyne stealth and I love it too. It has completely changes my short game and I’m pretty sure that I’ll never go back to my old Dunlop putter I had 

PING Apologist: APPORVED!!! Enjoyed the mini-review and am glad you landed on something that has increased your enjoyment of the game. I've been picking these up and trying them myself and like them a lot-especially the looks. But, the shop I frequent also has a S2 Fetch which I wasn't immediately attracted to on looks alone, but , DAMN! I love how that one feels and performs too! Tried it over & over against the Tyne, Valor 400 and several Scotties they had in the same rack and just kept coming back to it. Gotta somehow get it in my hands permanently!

Roll 'em true out there!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I just bough t the sigma 2 Tyne stealth and I love it too. It has completely changes my short game and I’m pretty sure that I’ll never go back to my old Dunlop putter I had 

Thanks for commenting and glad you like the putter as well!!! What length did you set it to?

WITB:

PING Apologist: APPORVED!!! Enjoyed the mini-review and am glad you landed on something that has increased your enjoyment of the game. I've been picking these up and trying them myself and like them a lot-especially the looks. But, the shop I frequent also has a S2 Fetch which I wasn't immediately attracted to on looks alone, but , DAMN! I love how that one feels and performs too! Tried it over & over against the Tyne, Valor 400 and several Scotties they had in the same rack and just kept coming back to it. Gotta somehow get it in my hands permanently!
Roll 'em true out there!

Thanks for the kind words. I do agree (and so does MGS) that it is a great putter. Try to find one used if you can. They are already priced well below the competition. Finding one for under $125 would be a steal!!

WITB:

6 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Thanks for the kind words. I do agree (and so does MGS) that it is a great putter. Try to find one used if you can. They are already priced well below the competition. Finding one for under $125 would be a steal!!

During my commitment to a full season of all PING clubs, the putter is whst i was worried about most.  As i have had my SC X7M for almost 4 years.  Yes CG2 had a club in thd bag fir more than 5 minutes.  Ha

But during my fitting for PING i was immediately relieved after about 4 rolls with the Tyne 4.  

I havent lost a beat with it.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

During my commitment to a full season of all PING clubs, the putter is whst i was worried about most.  As i have had my SC X7M for almost 4 years.  Yes CG2 had a club in thd bag fir more than 5 minutes.  Ha
But during my fitting for PING i was immediately relieved after about 4 rolls with the Tyne 4.  
I havent lost a beat with it.  

I’m telling you, it’s a great putter! Glad to hear it working for you as well.

WITB: