Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mizuno MP HMB 2020

Good evening, I just tried the Mizuno HMB 2020 irons at my local golf store tonight. I wanted to reach out to the form to see if other players have purchased this Iron said or have tested them and what they’re honest thoughts were.

What do you think about Mizuno‘s drivers and a hybrid irons?

2005 golden bear full set

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a set 3 weeks ago and absolutely love them. The lofts and distance were different to my previous set, but in a really great way. Gapping for me is 11m between PW and 9, 12m between 9 and 8, 13m between 8 and 7 and keeps increasing by +1m. Originally I was looking for a consistent 10m and it took me a while to realise, but I much prefer this spacing - damn those Mizuno folks are clever. I can step on it, or smooth one to get a few meters +/- and have been amazed by the distance consistency. They glide through turf effortlessly, I can hit distance numbers to order and shot my best round ever earlier today of +3 (75). They look beautiful, feel beautiful and I expect to get my handicap into single digits very soon. I was planning on buying the 919 Hot Metal Pro or Forged and didn’t think I was a good enough for a set of MP-20, but in the fitting my dispersion numbers with HMB we’re insanely good and I didn’t get the inconsistencies of “hotter” faces such as the P790. As everyone always says get fit and let the numbers guide your decision. If you do end up with a set of HMB’s, you’ll definitely be happy.

I have it in a 3 iron with a Recoil shaft for driving iron purposes; love it...very good feel and great forgiveness.  I wasn't a big fan of them from an aesthetic standpoint in the short iron, PW area...started looking a little "shovely" to me.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I tried the HMBs and believe they are good irons but they are still very much a players club. They certainly look great and perform well but as with any smaller clubhead, you give up forgiveness and MOI. If you're still a 25 handicap, I would tread cautiously with the HMBs and strongly recommend you look at other more forgiving options. I don't know your swing or how much you play but if you are not a consistent solid ball striker with irons, the HMB could be tough. Certainly not unplayable but you will be giving up some extra yards on mishits. If you like Mizuno, I would recommend looking into the JPX hot metals/hot metal pro. The HMBs certainly have sex appeal but most players irons do. Also, beware of the artificial turf mats in golf shops, they hide a lot of sins with ball striking. 

Classic example of heart vs. head.  You may really want these as they are dead sexy, but reality is that it's highly unlikely that these clubs would be the best fit for your game. 

If you really want something that has that better player look, wait until Monday and take a look at the new Mizuno JPX 921 Hot metals as specs and pricing is supposed to release then. 

Obviously as others said, you should get fitted and I'm betting that process will put you into clubs that are more forgiving and will help you improve far more than a new set of HMB. The last thing you want to do is spend $1500 and start playing worse or not improve.