Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are Golf Balls that initialed a good holiday gift?

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.  From the sound of your question, I'm guessing you're not a golfer.  No problem there.

The problem with golfers is that they're very picky about the golf balls they play.  Not just the brand, but the model as well.  Your boss could be someone who plays the Pro V1, and you might spend well over $50 for a dozen Pro V1X balls and give him the wrong balls.  So it's a dicey proposition.

If you really want to buy your boss personalized balls, check with other golfers in the office to see if they know what brand/model the boss plays.  And then check out golfballs.com, several of us here have had very good experiences with them.

Good luck!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'd generally say no, because golf balls are really dependent on the person. I'm someone who loses at least one ball a round. As a result, I play cheaper balls to remove that stress, whereas I'd feel stressed and guilty losing a ball that was a gift. Then again, a better player who doesn't lose balls often might not lose as many balls, but may be set in their ball preference (e.g. pro V1s as opposed to a different tour ball).

In contrast, an initialed or personalized golf towel, divot tool or ball marker have a bit more permanence associated with them.  Here's also a really good list of gift ideas for golfers that go from cheap ($15) to expensive. 

https://www.groovyguygifts.com/blogs/news/personalized-gifts-golf-lovers

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I was at an awards banquet after a tournament when the emcee handing out prizes said over the microphone, "I have this ProV1 with initials CL on it.  Does anyone know who's it is?"  A lady jumped up and said:  "That's my husband's ball."  The emcee then said, "The police found it in the street adjacent to hole #7."  (True story, and it is a 4-lane street!!)

So, no I wouldn't want initialed balls as a present.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with @HardcoreLooper.

One other point anything that you see Novelty before the word golf stay away from it. It is usually poor quality accessories that golfers will never use.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I can't speak for the other folks on this forum, but a really big, really nice golf towel is a great gift and shows me that "you know I'm a golfer."  It's also much less expensive than a dozen personalized tour-quality golf balls. 

I carry this one:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQ6604G/

Protip - black does not show dirt nearly as bad as white.  And if there's any black trim on your golf bag, it looks good.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

another golf towel suggestion that I'd like personally would be a frogger golf towel.  https://www.froggergolf.com/products/amphibian-towel/?attribute_pa_color=blue&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyPfFzbqH7QIVMPLjBx37VwRhEAQYAyABEgL2hvD_BwE

As others have noted, stay away from golf balls unless you can find out for sure what type and model balls he plays.  Guess you could give him $50 gift card to one of the big golf shops and he could buy the golf balls of his choosing.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I'll offer a counterpoint on this, with a slight modification -- if you buy someone just a single sleeve with their initials, they're more likely to see it as the gesture than more gear to play with. For example, I attended a leadership training and afterwards, the coordinators saw my Instagram and sent me a sleeve of balls (who even knows what kind...) but it had their logo on it and I thought that was just a great way to say, "I see you." I'm definitely not going to play them, but I still appreciated it as a gift.

But again, sleeve, not dozen 🙂

Another thing that makes a good gift is getting something with their favorite team (football, baseball, college) logo. This is especially easy to do with things like towels (as was mentioned), ball markers, divot repair tools, etc.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

personalized divot tools, towels, and even tees are all great choices as has been said above

i’ll offer a slightly different perspective:

we have no idea how avid a golfer this person’s boss is. there are a lot of people (obviously not on this forum) who don’t really care what they tee up, and would be happy to get a dozen of any quality ball with their initials. 

if he’s a casual weekend golfer i don’t think you can go wrong with a dozen personalized balls. i just hope his name isn’t Adam Samuel Smith

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

11 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

thank you for posting this!! i forgot my towel one day and picked one up at the pro shop before my round. 

it’s this towel but it’s pinkish red? and emblazoned with the club logo from the course. it’s very ugly but it’s a GREAT towel so i can’t yank it off my bag even though i hate looking at it  

just ordered myself two in black. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

23 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

personalized divot tools, towels, and even tees are all great choices as has been said above

i’ll offer a slightly different perspective:

we have no idea how avid a golfer this person’s boss is. there are a lot of people (obviously not on this forum) who don’t really care what they tee up, and would be happy to get a dozen of any quality ball with their initials. 

if he’s a casual weekend golfer i don’t think you can go wrong with a dozen personalized balls. i just hope his name isn’t Adam Samuel Smith

That's my boss' name.  Well, one of them anyway.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:59 PM, Chip Strokes said:

thank you for posting this!! i forgot my towel one day and picked one up at the pro shop before my round. 

it’s this towel but it’s pinkish red? and emblazoned with the club logo from the course. it’s very ugly but it’s a GREAT towel so i can’t yank it off my bag even though i hate looking at it  

just ordered myself two in black. 

You will be quite happy with the black.  No more white towels for me

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 11/16/2020 at 5:33 AM, HardcoreLooper said:

I can't speak for the other folks on this forum, but a really big, really nice golf towel is a great gift and shows me that "you know I'm a golfer."  It's also much less expensive than a dozen personalized tour-quality golf balls. 

I carry this one:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQ6604G/

Protip - black does not show dirt nearly as bad as white.  And if there's any black trim on your golf bag, it looks good.

I hadn't seen these before.  Nice looking.  I'm putting it on my Christmas list.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”