Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Cutting down on spin rates with shafts

JP13

I hit long drive and even with my playing driver I get very little roll. I’ve tried the swing up method and hitting high balls but with 4,000 spin rate and a carry of 330 ish plus or minus 5 yard I get very little roll. Any suggestions are welcome!  Thanks James 

Shafts don’t spin. A shaft isn’t going to cut down on spin.

of you are having 4000 rpm spin you are hitting i low on the face. 

What is your current driver is and what shaft including weight and flex

Im curious what your aoa, face to path, swing path, dynamic loft, launch angle, peak height and descent angle are.

A shaft does two things. It provides weight and feel. If the weight, balance and feel of what you have negative affects your swing then finding a shaft that gives you better contact or changes how your body moves and swings them that could positively impact your faults.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Shafts don’t spin.

Technically true, but they do more than just impact the user's swing with different weight and feel. Although switching to a different shaft will normally impact the way the golfer swings, changing kick point and torque value (even at the same weight) will impact club head delivery even if the swing remains the same, which among other things will change spin levels. The direction and magnitude of those impacts will depend on the swing itself.

@JP13 welcome to the forums! Without more data it's impossible to give you a good recommendation, other than getting fitted for your clubs! But for sure even without taking roll-out into account you are leaving distance on the table with 4000 rpms of driver spin at clubhead speeds capable of 300+ yards of carry. I would guess that if through a combination of equipment (club head, shaft, grip, ball) and technique changes (might be worth spending some time with a coach) you can get those spin numbers down below 2500 you could get an extra 40 yards of carry, plus more roll-out.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

17 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Technically true, but they do more than just impact the user's swing with different weight and feel. Although switching to a different shaft will normally impact the way the golfer swings, changing kick point and torque value (even at the same weight) will impact club head delivery even if the swing remains the same, which among other things will change spin levels. The direction and magnitude of those impacts will depend on the swing itself.

This is what I was saying. Some are more sensitive to all these things and others. It’s the influence on swing mechanics and how that causes the golfer to deliver then club. The delivery of the club is what then influences contact and thus the launch characteristics.

The human factor of the swing is what determines the performance of the shaft and club. There were tests done by club manufacturers and from a lightweight ladies flex shaft up to the shafts used by long drive competitors and the launch characteristics of them is minimal. 

When looking to reduce spin and/or launch changing the strike location and/or loft of the driver is going to have more impact than the shaft unless it’s a completely bad fit.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1860305-shafts-when-to-change-and-when-to-tweak-lofts/

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Well I use HOF X and 2x with Krank 6 degree  at 49 inches also Moi 4,5,6.5 degree heads with V2 shafts that I didn’t tip or cut at all stiff and X flex.  Not really sure of weights. Playing driver is Taylormade m2 9 degree with the same v2 shaft

14 hours ago, JP13 said:

I’ve tried the swing up method and hitting high balls

This is indicative is the issue being swing and probably not shaft.

Monte Scheinblum a former long drive champion and now a well respected teaching professional who can still generate 120+ mph clubhead speed at 50 and some others talk about this frequently.

When people have the intention of swing up they usually end up hitting low on the face. The low part of the face is going to cause higher spin to be seen. Also this thought leads to coming even more from the inside and that will cause issues as well. Also most golfers will tee it too high adding more nastiness to the issue.

For long drivers higher tee and the +5 aoa is a necessary evil, it’s not so much a good thing for the regular golf swing and regular golf swing as Monte says is to try and be level or 1-2° up.

But again without any of the previously mentioned launch monitor numbers as well as where face contact occurs there’s no way to say what’s happening.

Next time you are hitting balls in practice spray the face with some foot powder and note where you are making contact.