Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

On 12/30/2022 at 5:07 AM, Bobbers said:

The goal is to play your typical men's specifications with respect to grip, swing weight, club length, etc. and simply install a shaft that's two flexes "'softer" than what you're currently playing.

That's why I  posted the potential "revisions/modifications" to the women's iron set you described a few days back; I was suggesting how, if it were me, I'd modify them to give you a club that, with the exception of shaft flex, would be very similar to the set you're currently playing.  The added benefit being you could do a pretty direct comparison of y our standard set with the O-Phlex set.

Hey Bobbers, do you have a recommendation on how to work with swing weight adjustments? I find as I’m trying to measure weight without the grip installed I have a hard time. I have been sort of taping the grip and additional wraps, weights etc as I work on the balance point. Without a true swingweight scale I want to ensure this is giving me the most accurate reading as possible. Also if anyone has a good video on how to remove grips without cutting them off in order to save them, that would be very appreciated. 

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/

41 minutes ago, carter18 said:

Hey Stu, thanks for the update. Can you remind me what shaft and setup you went with in the 3W?  

It's the Garafalloy GWX which I believe is only available through Golfworks. I like it because it's just a hair heavier as a 3 wood shaft should be but in line with what this project requires. 

Screenshot_20221231-082022.png.e68ffb8212f31c03a87aa4642b9350d8.png

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

Thank you, Bobbers! I really appreciate the help. I’m open to really any grip that would get the weighting of the club right. Right now I play a “PXG Z5 - standard” grip with +2 wrap. I only know this because that’s what my order spec sheet says and I am in no way married to that setup. Which is just to say if it needs to change then it’s no problem.

I do plan on buying the 45g A flex as of now. My current swing speed is ~95mph but I just purchased TheStack and hoping to get into the low to mid 100’s by this season, which makes me think the A flex would be better than the L.

I’ve attached a photo (hopefully it shows up) of the spec sheet for my current driver. The only change made is I’ve adjusted it from the 10.5 degree standard loft up to 12 degrees currently. 241ADACF-8067-48A3-B509-11585FA13BD6.jpeg.75de9b749a3f6835589bc3818be5cf72.jpeg

What's interesting about your build is, as I suspected, to give you a manageable swing weight at the 46 inch length PXG had to use their two lightest weights in the head, 2.5 grams for each weight.

I'm using a PXG 0311 XF head which is different from yours. 

To finish my calculations I have to ask you a favor.  First, put your driver in the normal playing/address position and measure it to make sure we have 46 inches in length.  Then please remove the shaft from your driver and measure it for me.  I need to know what length the shaft, without the head, is in your setup.

Post that number and I can finish the calculations.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

41 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

What's interesting about your build is, as I suspected, to give you a manageable swing weight at the 46 inch length PXG had to use their two lightest weights in the head, 2.5 grams for each weight.

To finish my calculations I have to ask you a favor.  First, put your driver in the normal playing/address position and measure it to make sure we have 46 inches in length.  Then please remove the shaft from your driver and measure it for me.  I need to know what length the shaft, without the head, is in your setup.

Thank you! Unfortunately I just left to go out of state for a wedding so I won’t have access to my driver until tommorow. I don’t mind going down to 45.5” if you think it would give better results with the weighting either. I’ll post these measurements tomorrow afternoon. 

1 minute ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

Thank you! Unfortunately I just left to go out of state for a wedding so I won’t have access to my driver until tommorow. I don’t mind going down to 45.5” if you think it would give better results with the weighting either. I’ll post these measurements tomorrow afternoon. 

No worries, Reb, do it when time permits.  Enjoy the wedding and happy new year from the frozen tundra of Wisconsin.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, carter18 said:

Hey Bobbers, do you have a recommendation on how to work with swing weight adjustments? I find as I’m trying to measure weight without the grip installed I have a hard time. I have been sort of taping the grip and additional wraps, weights etc as I work on the balance point. Without a true swingweight scale I want to ensure this is giving me the most accurate reading as possible. Also if anyone has a good video on how to remove grips without cutting them off in order to save them, that would be very appreciated. 

Unfortunately I use a swing weight scale.  Hopefully Stu will see this post and reply, he's one of the people on the thread that uses the balance point method and can be a LOT more helpful in this particular situation.

I use a syringe with a needle that I "inject" through the grip, hard to describe it in words.  As a caveat, things like Winn grips are, for me at least, a "cut 'em off" situation based on their two layer construction.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

1 hour ago, Bobbers said:

Unfortunately I use a swing weight scale.  Hopefully Stu will see this post and reply, he's one of the people on the thread that uses the balance point method and can be a LOT more helpful in this particular situation.

I use a syringe with a needle that I "inject" through the grip, hard to describe it in words.  As a caveat, things like Winn grips are, for me at least, a "cut 'em off" situation based on their two layer construction.

I just had a nice detailed post all typed up with videos. When I went to submit it, it went away 😠. When I get a break here at work I'll try to regurgitate that same post. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 hours ago, carter18 said:

I'll try this again..

Something that I've done is take a preferred grip and cut a slit down the side from top to bottom. This "sacrificial" grip will be your mockup grip for all of your builds. Masking tape is cheap. Grips are not. You can then build up your tape and either use the sticky tape as the final layer or a throwaway layer of masking tape. Then slip the mockup grip over and then weigh it up. 

I've moved to the SW calculator rather than a scale as it's pretty easy to punch in the #s. 

FYI, if you search through Mobilclubmaker videos, he has one where he does a mockup build. His videos are some of my go to's for building. 

https://youtube.com/@MOBILECLUBMAKER

Mcgolf also has a lot of good stuff that I tap into

https://youtube.com/@McGolf

As for grip removal, what I've done in the past is just like AJ shows here. You can get this tool for pretty cheap at Golfworks or maybe on Amazon. I've been using a BBQ skewer with a loop at the end and it's worked ok. Note, some grips work great and others are a royal PITA. 

Here's another of AJ's videos showing the solvent + tool removal method. I've seen other videos using a wire coat hanger too. 

Recently, another of his videos has inspired me to pick up a cordless tire inflator to do the "air" method. A lot of guys have moved to this because it eliminates the need for solvent and sticky tape. That said, I'm not sure how effective it is on all types of grips. Star and Pure grips are designed with this method in mind. The rubber compound is more dense and tacky and they are made from 1 piece with no seams. 

https://youtu.be/AvXNfiON-2w

FYI, Winn grips are not made for air installation or recycled use. They're one and done so if Winn is your go to, you may need to reconsider. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

53 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I'll try this again..

Something that I've done is take a preferred grip and cut a slit down the side from top to bottom. This "sacrificial" grip will be your mockup grip for all of your builds. Masking tape is cheap. Grips are not. You can then build up your tape and either use the sticky tape as the final layer or a throwaway layer of masking tape. Then slip the mockup grip over and then weigh it up. 

I've moved to the SW calculator rather than a scale as it's pretty easy to punch in the #s. 

FYI, if you search through Mobilclubmaker videos, he has one where he does a mockup build. His videos are some of my go to's for building. 

As for grip removal, what I've done in the past is just like AJ shows here. You can get this tool for pretty cheap at Golfworks or maybe on Amazon. I've been using a BBQ skewer with a loop at the end and it's worked ok. Note, some grips work great and others are a royal PITA. 

Here's another of AJ's videos showing the solvent + tool removal method. I've seen other videos using a wire coat hanger too. 

Recently, another of his videos has inspired me to pick up a cordless tire inflator to do the "air" method. A lot of guys have moved to this because it eliminates the need for solvent and sticky tape. That said, I'm not sure how effective it is on all types of grips. Star and Pure grips are designed with this method in mind. The rubber compound is more dense and tacky and they are made from 1 piece with no seams. 

FYI, Winn grips are not made for air installation or recycled use. They're one and done so if Winn is your go to, you may need to reconsider. 

Which swing weight calculator do you use?

54 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

Which swing weight calculator do you use?

I posted this somewhere in the monster of a thread but here it is again

http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

#s. 

Recently, another of his videos has inspired me made from 1 piece with no seams. 

I bought the steel rod because it's got that channel going down the shaft making it easier to get the solvent into the grip, some grips are harder than others to remove but the best thing about this rod is it's very cheap. I've used the air as well but prefer the solvent as I've found the air is more difficult for me, try both and whatever works best for you. Good luck...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

@Bobbers I've extended my ladies shaft 1.75 inches with the graphite extension from Golfworks and a perfect fit, a swingweight of D1 so happy about that thanks @Bobbers. I had a hit yesterday with it and the mp57 5iron and was surprised how well it went considering the swingweight is C4 with the best 169 metres??

Ps 3 hours later, I've added 10grams to the head and swingweight is D1. Not sure I like the 5iron that heavy, oh we will see how well it performs just can't see it doing any better...

Edited by Bang60
Missed info

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 12/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, sl1111 said:

My journey has come to an end as I’m back to a more traditional set up for me. I am out of town for a few days but am willing to pass on my Pro Launch Blue “A” flex once I figure out what adapters I have available. If someone wants to pay shipping and cover an adapter I’ll ship it out. Off the top of my head I believe I have Titleist, newer TaylorMade, Callaway, and PXG adapter available. 
Let me know if interested. 

Shaft is no longer available. It was installed in another driver without me realizing it. Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks to those who wanted to give it a whirl. 

7 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I'll try this again..

Appreciate the help!

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/

9 hours ago, Bobbers said:

Thanks sir. I recently bought a cheap used air compressor and have been trying to remove grips with it. Currently to no avail. 

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

11 hours ago, azstu324 said:

It's the Garafalloy GWX which I believe is only available through Golfworks. I like it because it's just a hair heavier as a 3 wood shaft should be but in line with what this project requires. 

Screenshot_20221231-082022.png.e68ffb8212f31c03a87aa4642b9350d8.png

Thanks sir! What length did you cut it to? Happy new year to everyone!

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

33 minutes ago, carter18 said:

Thanks sir. I recently bought a cheap used air compressor and have been trying to remove grips with it. Currently to no avail. 

Yeah I found it difficult but easier with my wife helping, I just got a bulge and didn't want to blow a hole so quit and back to the solvent....

50 minutes ago, carter18 said:

So I think the trick with the air compressor is to start with a whole set being installed without tape and solvent. Then moving forward use the compressor. Removing a taped grip with a compressor might be tough. The guys I've seen do it at the PGATSS will put a plastic tube over the top in case of an explosion. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

10 hours ago, carter18 said:

Another thing you might want to do is get the Pure Grips gun https://www.puregrips.com/products/air-gun-kit This is the easiest and best way to do air gripping.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I use the Golfworks v-groove steel bar and solvent to remove grips I want to save but have been having a strange issue with the last few grips I tried to remove with it. It's as if the double back tape I used to install the grips is in two layers and when I try to remove the grip the top layer sticks to the inside of the grip and the bottom layer to the shaft. Try to make sure the bar is in between the tape and the grip when starting but the tape still sticks to the grip. It makes it very messy and difficult (almost impossible) to remove the tape stuck to the inside of the grip once the grip is removed, haven't figured out how to remove it all, makes me hesitant to reuse the grip with so much tape still inside the grip. It's strange because I don't recall having this issue in the past, maybe it's the type of double back tape I'm using, don't recall where I purchased it.

Edited by AzRoger

3 hours ago, MattF said:

Another thing you might want to do is get the Pure Grips gun https://www.puregrips.com/products/air-gun-kit This is the easiest and best way to do air gripping.

Thank you! I’ve seen that online and thought it might simplify the process. 

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

1 hour ago, AzRoger said:

I use the Golfworks v-groove steel bar and solvent to remove grips I want to save but have been having a strange issue with the last few grips I tried to remove with it. It's as if the double back tape I used to install the grips is in two layers and when I try to remove the grip the top layer sticks to the inside of the grip and the bottom layer to the shaft. Try to make sure the bar is in between the tape and the grip when starting but the tape still sticks to the grip. It makes it very messy and difficult (almost impossible) to remove the tape stuck to the inside of the grip once the grip is removed, haven't figured out how to remove it all, makes me hesitant to reuse the grip with so much tape still inside the grip. It's strange because I don't recall having this issue in the past, maybe it's the type of double back tape I'm using, don't recall where I purchased it.

Yeah I've also had this problem. I was thinking that maybe it's the type of grips that I use. And what I'm seeing is that the double sided tape is sticking inside the grips and the build up tape is staying on the shaft. It really seems to do this on Pure or Star grips but those are my favorites.. hence why I'm so interested in the air method

MAXFLI  Tour CG

30 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Yeah I've also had this problem. I was thinking that maybe it's the type of grips that I use. And what I'm seeing is that the double sided tape is sticking inside the grips and the build up tape is staying on the shaft. It really seems to do this on Pure or Star grips but those are my favorites.. hence why I'm so interested in the air method

I'm using midsize GP MCC +4 Align grips with no buildup tape, just double-sided tape, and I'm seeing a layer of tape both on the shaft and inside the grip when I remove the grip.

5 hours ago, AzRoger said:

I've not had that problem as yet and I've probably done 500 or more, a golfing buddy broke his rod so uses a long flat screwdriver carefully lol and I tell him I've got a gentle touch...

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Hmmm I use Golfworks double sided tape no issues, I have about 1/4 of a inch at bottom of the grip with no tape. I like to start with just the rod in between grip and shaft, and lots of solvent and wiggle the rod gently down....

42 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

I've got a gentle touch...

Funny my urologist told me the exact same thing when I first met him.. 🤔

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 hours ago, AzRoger said:

I'm using midsize GP MCC +4 Align grips with no buildup tape, just double-sided tape, and I'm seeing a layer of tape both on the shaft and inside the grip when I remove the grip.

Hmm maybe it's been the tape all along. I've gotten mine from PGATSS and Golf Galaxy. I know GG sells Golfworks tape which is solid. Maybe it's the PGATSS tape that's suspect? That's the most recent roll that I've bought. I'm hoping that after tonight my days of messing with tape and solvent will be over.. I'll post more on that topic

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Hmmm I use Golfworks double sided tape no issues, I have about 1/4 of a inch at bottom of the grip with no tape. I like to start with just the rod in between grip and shaft, and lots of solvent and wiggle the rod gently down....

Yeah I'm wondering if maybe the tape from PGATSS is a little suspect, which is what I have now. Golfworks stuff is always top shelf. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Yeah I'm wondering if maybe the tape from PGATSS is a little suspect, which is what I have now. Golfworks stuff is always top shelf. 

I bought 3 rolls from Golfworks about 3 years ago so maybe the more recent stuff is not so good, in fact when I extended my ladies shafted driver I did such a good job I decided to leave the original wrap on the shaft and added another wrap for my lower hand plus the extended bit....

On 12/31/2022 at 11:40 AM, Bobbers said:

Hey Bobbers, I’m back home and was able to measure my driver. The driver measured 45.75” when measuring down along the inside of the hosel. The further towards the middle of the face at resting position I went it obviously added length. 

The shaft is 44 and 9/16th inches. The length from the butt to the beginning of the adapter was 42 and 7/8ths. 

Thank you!