Maxfli U/3

JBones

I decided to go out and buy a box of Maxfli U/3. I love 3 piece urethane balls and for $25 I figured it was worth a shot. The best ball I have found in that price range are the Master Grip C4 tour, which are right at $25 after shipping. I didn't have a great driver swing, so I'll probably put more in here when I get another chance to hit the course.

Looks

They have the classic Maxfli look; Maxfli with a black dot underneath. They have the alignment aid on the side with a U/3 in the middle of it.

Feel/Sound

I think feel and sound go hand in hand when it comes to the ball. I'm going to break this up by clubs.

Driver - They feel solid off the driver, but not hard. It also sounds very solid; I though I hit it 350 every time I hit it.

Irons - They feel like butter off the irons, although it helped that I was flushing my irons. To be honest, I really don't hear much sound of the ball off of my irons, I concentrate more on the sound I make with the ground.

Putter - As with the irons, this ball felt like butter off of the putter. Again, as with the irons, I really don't notice much sound off of the putter, unless it is clicky and this ball was not.

Performance

I'm going to break this down by club again.

Driver - As it stated on the box, this ball launches higher off the driver. Again, I had a horrible driver swing going when I tested these, 3/14 fairways bad; the bad swing was also accentuated by a 15-20mph wind. Even though the box says that they are higher launching off of the driver, I think it had to do more with my swing, as I hit my 3W off the tee twice and they were both lasers that went far enough to run through the fairway on a dogleg.

Irons - This is where I was most impressed with this ball. It had tons of spin, without damaging the cover. The first full PW I hit was in the first cut, from 125yds; it landed on the green about 8' short of the pin, took two hops, then sucked back about 4' to finish hole high. With all the irons the ball had a flight that just bored through the wind.

Wedges - With the wedges, both from the fairway and green side, they performed exactly like the Pro V1* that I'm used to. I never got to hit a full wedge shot, but on half swings and chips, they had check and roll, with a 3/4 swing, it was a hop and stop.

Putter - This ball has such a true roll off of the putter, equivalent to the top dollar tour balls. When a ball rolls as true as this on "winter" greens, you know it's a good ball.

Overall

This ball is exactly as Maxfli advertises it. I get about the same performance in all aspects as I do from a 3 piece $45/dozen tour ball, maybe a hair firmer cover that generates a hair less spin, but it also makes them more durable. Speaking of durable, they held up very well; even after hitting several trees, the ball I started the round with is still playable, so I'm going to see how many rounds I can get out of it. I know there are several guys on here that play the MG C4 tour and this ball is just as good and the best part, you can walk into just about any sporting goods store and buy them. If you're looking for an exact comparison, think Srixon Q Star with a softer cover.

Just like the MG C4, can't find the U/3 in Europe :(

But sounds like a must-buy in that price range!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

JBones,

Have you noticed the U/3 affecting your draw or height of your shots at all? It looks like it was designed similar to the e6 in that it's meant to reduce sidespin.

Here're the chart comparisons of the variations of the U series balls:

u4xdistanceNumericalChart.png

u3distanceNumericalChart.png

u2distanceNumericalChart.png

Launch characteristics:

u4xdistanceChart.png

u3distanceChart.png

u2distanceChart.png

Thanks Much guys,

I still have 1 dozen of Maxfl Tour LC's. Picked up a bunch last year before they ran out (deep discounted of course).

When they are gone, I'll try the U3's

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

JBones,

Have you noticed the U/3 affecting your draw or height of your shots at all? It looks like it was designed similar to the e6 in that it's meant to reduce sidespin.

I have noticed that the flight is slightly higher than the ProV1x that I'm used to, but not enough to be concerned about. As far as sidespin, I have noticed that my draws and fades are smaller, but again, nothing of any concern.

Thanks for the review -- will give them a try.

Gawd I love this site!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I saw where Dick's offers a 4 ball sampler pack for $9.95

You get one of each new ball: U2, U3, U4 & U4x

Not a bad way to try them out.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived