Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What grips are the most shock-absorbing?

DGA3

I am recovering from tennis elbow (left arm) and - after some research - have learned that graphite shafts do a great job of absorbing the shock of club/ball contact. Unfortunately, my Ping G435 irons have steel shafts. One choice for me would be to pay to have them all switched over to graphite. I am considering that.

Another more affordable solution would be have some shock-absorbing grips installed in place of the Golf Pride 360 Tour Velvets that came with these irons.

My  question is: what grips are the most shock absorbing?

Brands names and models would be very helpful! I will then check them out at Golf Galaxy and the PGA Superstore.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't know about the grips, but I can attest to the graphite shafts. I had been battling tendonitis in my left arm since mid summer last year.  Like you I researched it and everything I read said switch to graphite. I decided to take the plunge in November and my arm is almost completely healed. I can still feel it every once in while, but it is 100 times better than what it was before. So much so that I am not even wearing my brace anymore when I play. I really have a hard time believing the shafts made that much of a difference, but that is the only change I have made. I have a simulator in my building, so I hit balls amost everyday which makes it even more unbelievable that it is so much better after only 2 months. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

56 minutes ago, DGA3 said:

I am recovering from tennis elbow (left arm) and - after some research

Almost all grip manufacturers make a mid size, and jumbo.  The thicker grips absorb the shock more, but depending on your hand size may affect gripping the club if you have small hands.  I use Golf Pride CP2 in mid size grips simply because I like how they feel.  If your pain isn't going to be forever you may get by with midsize until it improves.  I like the comfort of Golf Pride CP2 wrap, it comes in Jumbo.  A company called JumboMax makes grips, and I think they make some pretty thick ones.

Edited by stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Something that is thicker comes to mind. Meaning of possible go to midsize at least. That would help. 

I don't love them, but Winn grips often have a foam sleeve and the grip portion overtop. That could help. 

Mcc4 from golf pride.

There is a shock absorbing grip, however i can't remember what the brand is sorry.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

From the major manufacturers I would venture to say Winn would be your first stop and Golf Pride CP2 with the red cap.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

4 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

From the major manufacturers I would venture to say Winn would be your first stop and Golf Pride CP2 with the red cap.  

Good call out with the CP2! Forgot about those. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Good call out with the CP2! Forgot about those. 

One of my favorites! Doesn't get the love that the CP2 wrap does, but it is like having a having a big leather chair for a golf grip.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

14 hours ago, Parshooter36 said:

I don't know about the grips, but I can attest to the graphite shafts. I had been battling tendonitis in my left arm since mid summer last year.  Like you I researched it and everything I read said switch to graphite. I decided to take the plunge in November and my arm is almost completely healed. I can still feel it every once in while, but it is 100 times better than what it was before. So much so that I am not even wearing my brace anymore when I play. I really have a hard time believing the shafts made that much of a difference, but that is the only change I have made. I have a simulator in my building, so I hit balls almost everyday which makes it even more unbelievable that it is so much better after only 2 months. 

That is very encouraging, especially the fact that you hit off of mats, which I was going to try and avoid (if possible) this year.

I used a cheaper brace last year (something my wife had once), and I think it helped. I just ordered a more expensive one that my Ortho doc recommended.

Maybe - if I switch to graphite - I won't even need it!  

BTW - what graphite shafts did you go with, and why/how did you choose them?

2 hours ago, DGA3 said:

That is very encouraging, especially the fact that you hit off of mats, which I was going to try and avoid (if possible) this year.

I used a cheaper brace last year (something my wife had once), and I think it helped. I just ordered a more expensive one that my Ortho doc recommended.

Maybe - if I switch to graphite - I won't even need it!  

BTW - what graphite shafts did you go with, and why/how did you choose them?

I was fit into Recoil 95's. My mat is a Fiberbuilt so it's not nearly as punishing as far as mats go, but I could still feel it every swing.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Top 10 Shock Absorbing Golf Grips-UPDATED 8/14/21 – Golf Gear Box

Do a search on the above. Golf Gear box did a review on the softest grips that absorb shock. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Top 10 Shock Absorbing Golf Grips-UPDATED 8/14/21 – Golf Gear Box

Do a search on the above. Golf Gear box did a review on the softest grips that absorb shock. 

Here’s the link for those too lazy to fire up the google search engine 🤣

https://www.golfgearbox.com/blogs/news/top-10-shock-absorbing-golf-grips

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Here’s the link for those too lazy to fire up the google search engine 🤣

https://www.golfgearbox.com/blogs/news/top-10-shock-absorbing-golf-grips

Thank you. I struggle with trying to copy a link. I got to get one of the kids to teach me 🤣

23 hours ago, Parshooter36 said:

I don't know about the grips, but I can attest to the graphite shafts. I had been battling tendonitis in my left arm since mid summer last year.  Like you I researched it and everything I read said switch to graphite. I decided to take the plunge in November and my arm is almost completely healed. I can still feel it every once in while, but it is 100 times better than what it was before. So much so that I am not even wearing my brace anymore when I play. I really have a hard time believing the shafts made that much of a difference, but that is the only change I have made. I have a simulator in my building, so I hit balls amost everyday which makes it even more unbelievable that it is so much better after only 2 months. 

^^^This...100% this^^^ 

I too suffered with golfers elbow and a painful left shoulder (early life trauma), and was dubious about the switch from steel to graphite.  Certainly can't say it works for everyone, but I'd bet damn few won't see improvement.

As for grips, I have chatted with several guys here in this senior citizen ladened area about their recent change to Winn's Dri-Tac.  In addition to their "soft, cushion feel", one of the guys says his hands no longer have that tingling sensation after rounds.  I think these are going to be my next grips once my supply of GP Align's are exhausted.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Thank you. I struggle with trying to copy a link. I got to get one of the kids to teach me 🤣

It's time they added a new tab "Technology Handicapped Seniors" 🤣

image.png.c689c461d15b83d3a5a533d6cfdcc40f.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Wait, I want to put the laughing emoji but I can't  find it. LOL🤣

That gearbox article was helpful but didn't include one I've been thinking of for myself = Golf Pride Tour Wrap.

If you check on the GP website .. and prob Winn has a similar thing .. there's a grip selector tool where you can filter for features like softness.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh, also - @DGA3 if you're changing grips I believe there are shaft inserts for vibration dampening that can be inserted.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

^^^This...100% this^^^ 

I too suffered with golfers elbow and a painful left shoulder (early life trauma), and was dubious about the switch from steel to graphite.  Certainly can't say it works for everyone, but I'd bet damn few won't see improvement.

As for grips, I have chatted with several guys here in this senior citizen ladened area about their recent change to Winn's Dri-Tac.  In addition to their "soft, cushion feel", one of the guys says his hands no longer have that tingling sensation after rounds.  I think these are going to be my next grips once my supply of GP Align's are exhausted.

Another vote for graphite shafts.

Thanks!

Another vote for graphite shafts. I had tennis elbow from golf (lateral not medial), and my wrist and shoulder joints hurt a little after every round. I replaced my TT XP95 steel shafts with Recoil 95’s almost two years ago - and the joint pain stopped almost immediately. The tennis elbow is gone now too, though I wore an elbow brace for months and that probably did more there. I have midsize grips, but I do not think grips will do much for the OP’s issues.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
On 1/21/2023 at 8:24 AM, Middler said:

Another vote for graphite shafts. I had tennis elbow from golf, and my wrist and shoulder joints hurt a little after every round. I replaced my TT XP95 steel shafts with Recoil 95’s almost two years ago - and the joint pain stopped almost immediately. The tennis elbow is gone now too, though I wore an elbow brace for months and that probably did more there. I have midsize grips, but I do not think grips will do much for the OP’s issues.

Thanks.

I am currently learning all that I can about graphite shafts, and am seriously considering swapping out my current steel shafts for graphite. It would be nice to play pain free and not have to worry about re-injuring my tennis elbow again (lateral epicondylitis).

• 4 months later...

CitizenI'm sorry to hear about your tennis elbow. When it comes to shock-absorbing grips, there are a few options you can consider. Some popular brands known for their shock-absorbing qualities include:

Winn Dri-Tac: Winn grips are well-regarded for their soft, cushioned feel and shock absorption. The Dri-Tac series is particularly known for its moisture-wicking properties.

Golf Pride CP2 Pro: The CP2 Pro grips from Golf Pride feature a soft, tacky feel and are designed to reduce vibrations and shock upon impact.

Lamkin Comfort Plus: Lamkin grips, like the Comfort Plus series, are designed with a soft, cushioned feel to absorb shock and provide comfort during play.

It's a good idea to visit Golf Galaxy and the PGA Superstore to try out these grips and see which one Citizen feels best for your needs. Additionally, consulting with a professional at the store can provide you with further guidance based on your specific requirements.

I'm sorry to hear about your tennis elbow. When it comes to shock-absorbing grips, there are a few options you can consider. Some popular brands known for their shock-absorbing qualities include:

1. Winn Dri-Tac: Winn grips are well-regarded for their soft, cushioned feel and shock absorption. The Dri-Tac series is particularly known for its moisture-wicking properties.

2. Golf Pride CP2 Pro: The CP2 Pro grips from Golf Pride feature a soft, tacky feel and are designed to reduce vibrations and shock upon impact.

3. Lamkin Comfort Plus: Lamkin grips, like the Comfort Plus series, are designed with a soft, cushioned feel to absorb shock and provide comfort during play.

It's a good idea to visit Golf Galaxy and the PGA Superstore to try out these grips and see which one feels best for your needs. Additionally, consulting with a professional at the store can provide you with further guidance based on your specific requirements.

• 6 months later...

FYI, I believe that Lamkin discontinued the Comfort Plus, so their most dampened current offering is likely the Sonar+.

One thing to keep in mind with Winn’s softest grips is the horrible durability, so expect to change those more often. 

Golf Pride’s most dampened offering is likely the CPX, but those are odd feeling IMHO. If I were struggling with this I would either go with the CP2 Pro or Sonar+ along with prosoft inserts.

https://www.golfworks.com/prosoft-shaft-dampening-inserts/p/ps5003/

With that said, grips and/or dampening inserts help but won’t get steel to the level of typical graphite, so if your problem is to the point where it is preventing you from playing it may be worth the investment.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I've latched on to these vibration inserts since true temper stopped selling sensicore inserts. I'd recommend installing them when you change grips and you'll be all set!  You can also cut them in half if you want to do more sets. 

https://amzn.to/3TEmZTG

My bag is a revolving door!

21 hours ago, storm319 said:

Golf Pride’s most dampened offering is likely the CPX, but those are odd feeling IMHO. If I were struggling with this I would either go with the CP2 Pro or Sonar+ along with prosoft inserts.

+1 for the Sonar+ grips. I had CPX on all of my clubs looking for grip and comfort, and they really didn't feel right to me. I tried the CP2 pro (logo down for the pseudo-alignment line) and the Sonar+ throughout my bag. Sonar+ was far and away my preference, and I'll be hard pressed to change in the future.

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx Max 10.5°, MCG C6 Red 50 R

Wood:     :cobra-small: LTDx Max 3W 15.5°, MCG C6 Red 50 R

Hybrid:     :titleist-small: TS2 4H 23°; 5H 25°, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black 60 Graphite Regular

Irons:       :cobra-small: LTD (5-9); :Fuji: Vista PRO 60i R

Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 - 54.11 (56°), :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 - 60.10; :Fuji: Vista PRO 60i R

Putter:      :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro 1 / :odyssey-small: 2-Ball Ten Armlock

Bag:         :taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag 2022

Balls:      :maxfli: Tour

Reviews: Spornia SPG8 XL Net (Official), Me and My Golf Full Body Freedom (Unofficial), Club Champion Full Bag Fitting (Unofficial), Gravity Caddy (Unofficial)

On 12/27/2023 at 10:53 PM, storm319 said:

FYI, I believe that Lamkin discontinued the Comfort Plus, so their most dampened current offering is likely the Sonar+.

One thing to keep in mind with Winn’s softest grips is the horrible durability, so expect to change those more often. 

https://www.golfworks.com/prosoft-shaft-dampening-inserts/p/ps5003/

With that said, grips and/or dampening inserts help but won’t get steel to the level of typical graphite, so if your problem is to the point where it is preventing you from playing it may be worth the investment.

Good point that I found to be true. I used the Winn Excels all season and, while they are great at absorbing shock, they do wear out quickly (you should see my driver grip!). 🤣

I am going to have my clubs regripped before this season, and will probably go with either the Winn Driver Tac (standard or wrap) or the Golf Pride CP2 (wrap or pro).