After a 3-4 month layoff, how long does it take you to get your swing and scoring back?

This year, I was lucky enough to go to Florida for about 5 weeks (I live in Northern Michigan where the courses generally close late October to early November and don't open until April).

Putting and woods are fine; irons are another matter. Fat shots, then mostly thin shots - I took a lesson to have an LPGA pro at Palm Harbor Golf Club in Palm Coast look at my swing. I was casting the club a bit, so holding on to the wrist hinge a bit longer helped, plus practicing knock down shots to get the feel of crisp consistent contact.

That helped, and after 10 or so rounds this year I am getting more consistent strikes but am not where I was last year. While I love my irons (Mizuno MP-20 MMCs) that I have had are now since 2021 I am wondering when that part of my game will come back or should I start shopping for game improvement irons?! Right now I am missing my Ping G15s that never gave me any trouble. Thoughts? Tips? Trade in the clubs? Thanks!

• Titleist TSR3 Driver - 9.75 degrees
  • Taylor Made Mini-Driver 13.5 degrees
  • Ping G30 5 Wood
  • Ping G30 4 hybrid
  • Mizuno MP20 - MMC irons 4-PW - Nippon Stiff shaft, Z-grip grips
  • Titleist SM7 Wedges 50, 54 
  • Ping Cadence TR B65 Putter
15 minutes ago, Bill Hendry said:

This year, I was lucky enough to go to Florida for about 5 weeks (I live in Northern Michigan where the courses generally close late October to early November and don't open until April).

Putting and woods are fine; irons are another matter. Fat shots, then mostly thin shots - I took a lesson to have an LPGA pro at Palm Harbor Golf Club in Palm Coast look at my swing. I was casting the club a bit, so holding on to the wrist hinge a bit longer helped, plus practicing knock down shots to get the feel of crisp consistent contact.

That helped, and after 10 or so rounds this year I am getting more consistent strikes but am not where I was last year. While I love my irons (Mizuno MP-20 MMCs) that I have had are now since 2021 I am wondering when that part of my game will come back or should I start shopping for game improvement irons?! Right now I am missing my Ping G15s that never gave me any trouble. Thoughts? Tips? Trade in the clubs? Thanks!

Living in Wisconsin I go through a similar downtime over the winter.  The last two off-seasons I've joined an indoor simulator league to help stave off the rust, but hitting off a mat in perfect conditions really only does so much for you.  I'm not expecting to be fully back into my usual scores until late May when the course conditions are back to normal and I have 10+ rounds in.  Even then it will depend on how much practice time I get in and whether I can play at least 9 holes every week.

If you don't already do so I would suggest tracking all of your irons shots the next couple of rounds.  You may think your iron play is poor, but if your driver is putting you in deep rough the tee shot would be more to blame than an approach that may not end up 10 feet from the hole.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array F-2

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

It usually takes me a full season. For the past 4 years I've noticed I start out slow in spring (to be expected) and I gradually get better until late July then fall back for a few weeks and generally peak out end of Sep. As you, I play in Oct and early Nov but due to all the leaves and ground debris I generally don't bother with scoring. Just play for total fun and cringe that the season is almost over.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

This year is taking me a lot longer. I'm 57 and now am doing a lot more office work. My back, shoulder and hips don't want to loosen up like they used to

Driver- Mizuno STZ 230

5w- Taylor Made Stealth

5-GW- Mizuno JPX 923 Forged

Wedges- Cleveland

Putter- Odyssey

Handicap- 14

• 2 weeks later...

I always play my best golf after a layoff. Because I try to keep it in play. Aim for center of greens. Take extra club and swing smoothly.  As soon as I think I am swinging well...I try to hit the ball over bunkers to the pin...hook it around doglegs...and so on and my scores go up.     If I only played once every three weeks instead twice a week, my handicap would be lower.

Oddly when I first get back the game is normally on point. I am not thinking about anything or working on anything, but just playing for the enjoyment. There may be some big bad misses, but overall it is good. 

It is a few rounds later I find I have a big dip and maybe it is due to expectations or something, but I have a period where I struggle there and need range time to sort it out. Normally it is just trying to move too fast and took quick and relearning how to slow down. 

In the end it is an up and down season and I have stretches of great play and like recently stretches of rounds which are just not clicking. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Oddly when I first get back the game is normally on point. I am not thinking about anything or working on anything, but just playing for the enjoyment. There may be some big bad misses, but overall it is good. 

It is a few rounds later I find I have a big dip and maybe it is due to expectations or something, but I have a period where I struggle there and need range time to sort it out. Normally it is just trying to move too fast and took quick and relearning how to slow down. 

In the end it is an up and down season and I have stretches of great play and like recently stretches of rounds which are just not clicking. 

1000% this for me as well. The beginning of the season is usually really good and then I’m not really sure what happens. I think it starts with a little tinkering and then it all falls apart after trying to fix it. Then somewhere around mid to late summer, it sorta comes back and I end up pretty decent in the fall just before winter approaches. Then the cycle continues. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Really depends on how long you've been playing for. Living in the Midwest winters are tough to find places to hit at, so swing timing for me was always difficult to come back. Once I found me rhythm I was back to being a hack in about a week! 

Taylormade Stealth+ 9* hzrdus black 6.5

Callaway Maverik Sub-Zero 4 wood Oban Revenge 75g 05 flex

Taylormade Stealth 4 Hybrid 22* Graphite Design AD-DI 85x

Miura limited Forged CB 5-PW Dynamic Gold X7 Shafts

Taylormade MG 52*, 56* X100 shafts

Taylormade Hi Toe Bigfoot 60* X100 shaft

I find that it is not my normal game that is off after a layoff it is more the course conditions. Before my move, January and February were off months. It’s too cold to play. The course is in dormant stages until spring. March and most of April the fairways are brown and equivalent to hard pan/ tight lies. Bunkers are compacted and the greens are a little firmer. 
Playing under better conditions helps my scoring. I don’t have high expectations early in the season and I usually don’t keep score until everything is green.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag