Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Could a winning Tiger boost golf equipment sales?

Moecat

He hasn't won in three years though. The TOUR needs an unrelenting talent like Tiger who will win numerous times. I think Fowler can do it, he's come close a couple of times already.

So you want personality AND numerous wins?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that glf sales will increase, but manily because the Masters represents the beginning of the golf season, of spring and summer, and people are going to start to dust off the old clubs and replace crappy one. Maybe Tiger growing golf's attention will help that, maybe not.

Agreed, the masters week sale at our store is always a big hit. One thing that I wonder though is will more people stay at home to watch rather than to shop that particular week?

Fairways and Greens

You really won't buy TW logo'd stuff now because of whats happened? You'll buy Nike Golf still, just not TW?

I'm off of Tiger stuff, and pretty much off of Nike.

I bought some Nike running shoes last year, and they ended up having an air chamber that was bad. I called Nike, and they told me they only warranty their shoes for two years from the manufacture date -- not purchase date. The manufacture date on my shoes was something like one or two days past the two year period. The customer service rep said that if I sent them back and they were out of date, that Nike wouldn't even look at them and just immediately send them back. I pointed out again that I had just bought them a month prior, and hardly worn them at all. She said out of date they wouldn't even look at them, but I could send them in if I wanted.

That confused me? I asked why send them in if they won't even look at them? She kept saying it both ways to me (go ahead and send them in/they won't look at them past date), so I sent them in. Got them back with an "shoes out of date, not even looked at" note, and it pissed me off -- both because they were so close to the date, obviously new, and the cust serv girl telling me to go ahead and send them in while telling me the wouldn't look at them. Just horrible customer service, IMHO. So...they've lost me unless I really, really need something from them.

So you want personality AND numerous wins?

Let's see....Tiger had teh numerous wins, but I hardly say he had "personality". He's just about as cold and withdrawn from the golfing public as any player could be.

Let's see....Tiger had teh numerous wins, but I hardly say he had "personality". He's just about as cold and withdrawn from the golfing public as any player could be.

He's not a baby kisser like Phil, but he most certainly has personality when he's playing (there's a whole thread on the topic of playing with emotion). Call it personality, call it charisma, whatever you like, but most people love to watch him play golf because he's exciting. You may not like him, but to say that he lacks watch-ability simply ignores the facts.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Oh...and I read through the rest of the thread, and you guys seem to be forgetting that Nike still has David Duval in their fold. :(

True, but he is kind of statue like and easy to miss :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LhNVdc9qho

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

He's not a baby kisser like Phil, but he most certainly has personality when he's playing (there's a whole thread on the topic of playing with emotion). Call it personality, call it charisma, whatever you like, but most people love to watch him play golf because he's exciting. You may not like him, but to say that he lacks watch-ability simply ignores the facts.

You're equating competitiveness to having personality.

People love to watch him play because he's most likely the best golfer to date in the history of the game, and because he can do things others can't -- not because of his personality. It's a simple case of "everybody loves a winner"....nothing more.

You're equating competitiveness to having personality.

People love to watch him play because he's most likely the best golfer to date in the history of the game, and because he can do things others can't -- not because of his personality. It's a simple case of "everybody loves a winner"....nothing more.

No, I understand the difference quite clearly and I don't agree with what you're saying at all. If Tiger hit shots that no one else could hit, but acted like Steve Stricker (or any other boring golfer), he would not be nearly as popular or watch-able. I do agree that everyone loves a winner, no argument there, but people also love the fist pumps and the emotion that they don't get with other golfers. That's an expression of his personality. If it's just competitiveness, than you're implying that golfers who do not behave like he does during competition are not competitive, which I don't think is the case.

No, I understand the difference quite clearly and I don't agree with what you're saying at all. If Tiger hit shots that no one else could hit, but acted like Steve Stricker (or any other boring golfer), he would not be nearly as popular or watch-able. I do agree that everyone loves a winner, no argument there, but people also love the fist pumps and the emotion that they don't get with other golfers. That's an expression of his personality. If it's just competitiveness, than you're implying that golfers who do not behave like he does during competition are not competitive, which I don't think is the case.

Ok...we'll agree to disagree somewhat. Either way, the original question was "could a winning Tiger boost golf equipment sales?". I say no, he'll have no effect.

JMHO

YMMV

I'm off of Tiger stuff, and pretty much off of Nike.

I bought some Nike running shoes last year, and they ended up having an air chamber that was bad. I called Nike, and they told me they only warranty their shoes for two years from the manufacture date -- not purchase date. The manufacture date on my shoes was something like one or two days past the two year period. The customer service rep said that if I sent them back and they were out of date, that Nike wouldn't even look at them and just immediately send them back. I pointed out again that I had just bought them a month prior, and hardly worn them at all. She said out of date they wouldn't even look at them, but I could send them in if I wanted.

That confused me? I asked why send them in if they won't even look at them? She kept saying it both ways to me (go ahead and send them in/they won't look at them past date), so I sent them in. Got them back with an "shoes out of date, not even looked at" note, and it pissed me off -- both because they were so close to the date, obviously new, and the cust serv girl telling me to go ahead and send them in while telling me the wouldn't look at them. Just horrible customer service, IMHO. So...they've lost me unless I really, really need something from them.

My post is slightly off topic that's very weird and unheard of. Why would tha warranty have anything to do with the manufactured date? I've always have good luck with Nike, especially the Max Air shoes, which are very soft. At Sports Authority now they have a program where is they rip or break at all within a year, they replace the shoe, and it only costs $10 extra. One of the best extended warranties that I have ever come across. Even if the little rubber piece at the toe comes off, they replace the shoe or give you a gift card for the amount that you bought it for.

• SPY VIP

My post is slightly off topic that's very weird and unheard of. Why would tha warranty have anything to do with the manufactured date? I've always have good luck with Nike, especially the Max Air shoes, which are very soft. At Sports Authority now they have a program where is they rip or break at all within a year, they replace the shoe, and it only costs $10 extra. One of the best extended warranties that I have ever come across. Even if the little rubber piece at the toe comes off, they replace the shoe or give you a gift card for the amount that you bought it for.

my 2¢

Nike replaced my first Sq tour bag after it started leaving sticky residue on my club shafts. Full replacement. excellent email communication with the nike HQ

think that the bag has a lifetime warranty though

Volvo Intorqueo

my 2¢

Nike replaced my first Sq tour bag after it started leaving sticky residue on my club shafts. Full replacement. excellent email communication with the nike HQ

Really, interesting. I had (I still have it, actually) that same bag and it ripped something bad. Never even thought of calling Nike, but maybe I should have, I only had it about 4 months. It was very heavy though, so I got a lighter bag, the current Titleist that I have now. I didn't have the receipt though, that could pose a problem.

Dunno....you'll have to ask Nike. All I know is I had a practically brand new pair of shoes, and all I got was the Heisman.

my 2¢

Again....my issue was shoes, and they specifically stated that it's a two year warranty period effective from the date of production -- not date of sale. Nike now puts the manufacture date on the inside tongue of the shoes....so if you ever buy a pair of Nike's check the expiration date....just like it was a carton of milk.

Really, interesting. I had (I still have it, actually) that same bag and it ripped something bad. Never even thought of calling Nike, but maybe I should have, I only had it about 4 months. It was very heavy though, so I got a lighter bag, the current Titleist that I have now. I didn't have the receipt though, that could pose a problem.

I think calling the manufacturer is always a good move. It doesn't cost anything, and if you're polite, explain the problem and you're clear about what you want to happen, you'll often be pleasantly surprised. And don't be afraid to ask to speak with someone higher up the chain.

• SPY VIP

I think calling the manufacturer is always a good move. It doesn't cost anything, and if you're polite, explain the problem and you're clear about what you want to happen, you'll often be pleasantly surprised. And don't be afraid to ask to speak with someone higher up the chain.

Just what I was going to suggest. There are some known tearing issues with the bag too. It may be easier than you expect.

You may need to find a box to send it to them, but they will send you a label to cover postage.

Volvo Intorqueo

There's an interesting article in the NY Times where the writer offers his view on whether retailers will see a benefit from Tiger playing well:

If Woods Plays Well, Retailers Will Smile

Tiger Woods's break from golf since late November could not have been timed better for golf retailers. His absence coincided with the months when clothing and equipment sales are slow and discounts move goods during the holidays.

But news that he will return at the Masters comes at the start of the peak season.

“Selfishly, this is perfect,” said Martin E. Hanaka, chairman and chief executive of Golfsmith, a 74-store golf and tennis retail chain. “The season's kicking off. The Masters is the No. 1 event. Spring is blooming. People are itching to get out there.”

Woods is the star of Nike Golf, which produces apparel including his high-end TW shirts, pants, sweaters, jackets and vests. Victory Red, which evokes the shirt color that Woods wears on Sundays, is a golf club brand within the broader Nike line.

His presence has put a halo over the Nike line, golf retailing and golf as an industry. Nike has stood by Woods since his one-car accident on Thanksgiving weekend eventually led to a sex scandal. Accenture and AT&T dropped him, and Gillette temporarily halted its use of him. Nike Golf's Web site, which currently features Justin Leonard on its home page, seems to be using Woods sparingly.

“Going forward, as he returns to golf, how Nike Golf positions him is going to be a very sensitive topic,” said Terry McAndrew, editor of the Web Street Golf Report.

Retailers simply hope that he will play well once he returns and increase sales.

“The day after he wins, our stores are packed,” Hanaka said.

Golfsmith and the New York Golf Center say that, at worst, sales of Woods clothing have dipped a bit. “When it happened, we didn't have deep inventories,” Hanaka said. “Then we went to 20 percent off, and his stuff moved pretty well.”

Gary Lynch, a salesman at the New York Golf Center on West 35th Street near Broadway, said Woods's clothing line was hurt because women were less eager to buy his $100 shirts or $130 pants for their golf-playing husbands. In addition, with Woods not playing, the store's front display table could not lay out his popular Thursday-to-Sunday schedule of shirts.

“We were still getting Nike inventory, but it wasn't related to anything,” he said.

The two retailers said Woods's troubles had no discernible effect on Nike equipment sales, in particular the Victory Red club line, which includes an $899.99 iron.

On Friday, Tom Gessner of East Rockaway, N.Y., was test-swinging irons at the golf center. He has long favored Mizunos and was swinging models of that brand, as well as Callaways and Nikes. He said he was considering Victory Red despite Woods's transgressions.

“That wouldn't affect what the club does for me,” he said. “It only matters how it performs.”

Nike would not offer any details about its golf apparel and equipment sales — or whether the Woods scandal affected them — during the three months ended Feb. 28. The third-quarter report, released last week, provided no results for Nike Golf.

Analysts said that they did not think the scandal had hurt Nike's golf sales.

Tom Stine, a founder of Golf Datatech, said, “We know that he's a positive in making consumers aware of the Nike brand, but we don't have any evidence that people are going to be turned off to the brand because of him.”

At the New York Golf Center, Frank Cole, a club salesman, said he had seen no diminution of interest in golfers looking at the broad Nike line or the Victory Reds.

“Victory Red's the best stuff Nike's come out with,” he said and added that 12- to 18-year-olds were particularly devoted to Woods. “They want his shoes, they want his clubs.”

The Golfsmith store, on the East Side of Manhattan, offers a glimpse of the retail life with Woods in hiatus. About 10 feet from a table of full-price and discounted Woods apparel is a large display that draws attention away from the his shirts and pants. It shows Phil Mickelson, the smiling face of Callaway, in a promotion offering full refunds to buyers of three new drivers, from March 12 to April 7, if he wins the Masters.

“It'll generate a lot of buzz if that happens,” said Chris Ferrara, the store's senior general manager. “Without Tiger, he's the most marketable player out there.”

______

Dave

Image Gallery

The Golfsmith store, on the East Side of Manhattan, offers a glimpse of the retail life with Woods in hiatus. About 10 feet from a table of full-price and discounted Woods apparel is a large display that draws attention away from the his shirts and pants. It shows Phil Mickelson, the smiling face of Callaway, in a promotion offering full refunds to buyers of three new drivers, from March 12 to April 7, if he wins the Masters.

“It'll generate a lot of buzz if that happens,” said Chris Ferrara, the store's senior general manager. “Without Tiger, he's the most marketable player out there.”[/i]

That's funny. I wonder if Callaway decided to do that promotion before or after Tiger committed to playing the Masters?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

That's funny. I wonder if Callaway decided to do that promotion before or after Tiger committed to playing the Masters?

Probably before. It is the same one that TM did last year with Sergio.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think Tiger always sells clubs for Nike when he is playing. I'm guessing if he play's well, sales will increase for them.

This has never been the case with me, as I only buy what will work for me without really paying and attention to what Tiger or the other guys are playing.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Probably before. It is the same one that TM did last year with Sergio.

I was just thinking it was a much "safer" promotion after Tiger entered the field. :)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I still don't see Tiger helping sell much equipment for Nike or golf in general. He gives Nike legitimacy...but does he really move product? I know of almost no one that plays Nike gear (and I've got one of their 3wds). And I've never heard anyone say they were going to buy something because of Tiger. About the only thing I think he helped sell was Cameron putters....and that's been a long time ago, they've now taken off on their own.

I still don't see Tiger helping sell much equipment for Nike or golf in general. He gives Nike legitimacy...but does he really move product? I know of almost no one that plays Nike gear (and I've got one of their 3wds). And I've never heard anyone say they were going to buy something because of Tiger. About the only thing I think he helped sell was Cameron putters....and that's been a long time ago, they've now taken off on their own.

I too have a Nike 3 wood, but not because of Tiger. It isn't even the kind of 3 wood he uses.

Archived