Tee'd up?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What clubs do you put on a tee?

• Driver?
    • Fairway woods?
    • Hybrids?
    • Irons?
    • Wedges?

I castle tee for everything, stubby greens for my irons, red/blue for my 3-wood depending on the shot/obstacles, and orange for my driver.  Gives me a consistency that I wouldn't get otherwise.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

I can't remember ever not using a tee.   I use them for all tee shots and all clubs.  I carry two with me:  3.25 and 1.5 inch tees for my driver and everything else respectively. 

Why?  Most likely because it's become a habit after 50 years.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

When I first started playing many years ago, I was fortunate enough to be friends with a person who was scratch and participated in many amatuer events. He not only used a tee for every club on the teeing ground but told me why not take advantage of a perfectly placed ball to hit. I have followed his advise all these years and even with a perfectly teed up ball I still can it horrible shots at times haha.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

I tee up Driver, 3-5 wood and 4 iron. I never practice hitting 5 iron and up off a tee at the range, so I do not tee them. I simply find a high spot of grass on the tee and get the perfect lie. 

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

I hit all my clubs off the box on a tee, regular tee for driver, short stubby Martini tee for everything else. I do play courses with short par 3s where I might hit 50-58deg wedge and I find I can spin them really well offa tee. 

The short stubby Martini tee feels like a perfect lie for every club on the tee box. 

I've always found that putting a ball on a tee, especially for beginners allows them to concentrate on the swing mechanics and not have the frustration of trying to get the ball airborne, then lower the tee until you remove it for at least the irons.   For myself..  on par 3's, I always use a tee regardless of club selection.     thanks  

I use a tee for every club, but the heights are quite different. Driver is teed up quite high, fairway woods and hybrids slightly above the ground and irons at ground level (the "perfect lie" idea). 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB with Garsen Max grip or OG 2-Ball with Super Stroke grip

Other: Vice Pro, Maxfli Tour or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

I tee everything "up" on the tee box (hey, it's called tee box for a reason, isn't it?)

Now, when I tee the ball for a 58° wedge or even a 7iron, the tee peg is barely emerging from the ground (1 or 2mm, I'd say).

Long irons or woods/hybrids, that'd be 5mm or something like that.

Driver "obviously" I do tee up way more, given that even with high tees I struggle to have an upward impact...

The benefits of having a tee are, in my opinion, multiple. First, you guarantee yourself a good lie, not in a dip, with not too much grass behind the ball (no flyers) etc. Second, you have to pick the place you're teeing a bit more carefully. and that's an important one (tee on the side where the trouble is to hit away from it, adjust that on your intended trajectory, etc. ) Third, the tee in the ground is a great reference point for your strike patterns and to judge what you've done. Is the divot clearly starting one inch in front of the tee? Great, is it starting right at the tee... humm, could be better. Is it starting before? yeah, you fatted it, but how much? On top of that you can judge (particularly if your irons are not very "responsive" -think blade) where was it on the toe to heel line where you hit it. You can then proceed to adjust a tad if you see a pattern appearing!

Now, teeing anything but the driver more than 4mm is counterproductive as it will promote an upward blow, which will then transfer to poor contacts on the fairway...

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

Driver and fairway woods only. I used to tee up irons but I began hitting them too high. Occasionally I will tee up an iron when I need to take off some distance. 

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)

The only time I don't put the ball on a tee is if I want to take a little distance off when using short irons/wedges.  Then I just look for fluffy spot or the edge of an old divot -- just a tiny raised spot.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

I only tee up my driver and if it's really windy out, I'll even play that off the deck to keep it lower.

It's 100% a mental/visual thing but I just feel like I have more control and feel hitting off the grass with everything.

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

Every club from the tee box.  My irons and wedges are basically at ground level but if gives me an assured good lie.  Hybrids and fairway woods are about a 1/4 inch up.  Driver I tee so that hat about 1/3 of the ball us above the club face.

Driver:  Ping G425 LST 9 degrees, stock shaft regular

Fairway: Ping G425 LST 13.5 degrees, stock shaft regular

Hybrids: Ping G425 19 and 22 degrees, stock shaft regular

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max, Project X  LZ105 5.5; 5-AW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 52 degrees, TT Dynamic Gold 115; Cleveland SmartSole 58 degrees, stock shaft

Putter:  Axis1 Rose with FlatCat grip

veteran.gif.ce23e65765944402b155f425df8cdfdb.gif.5b4cd6901ad1d0966d36704e6b4d9e7d.gif

image.png.2c141450bfdc56c40426d9df08a4bb4d.png

image.png.3ce9d749de4445b748c0a563eb19c35b.png

I've got comments on course about how high I tee the ball up with driver. So take this feedback with a grain of salt... I also found last season if I teed up wedges, I had a greater likelihood of pulling or hooking them and started hitting them off the turf with no tee. But seem to have corrected that swing flaw this year. 

This season I am firmly in the camp of tee up everything (I am a picker and do not aim to take divots at really anytime). Irons and hybrids are about 1/4" above ground which is the lowest I go. The last time I decided to "tee it down a bit" with driving iron, I proceeded to skull it about 70 yards. 

I watched a 4 index tee all irons and wedges up the same way (1/4" above turf), so different strokes for different folks... In my mind it eliminates all possibility of a fat shot, adds a bit of distance vs hitting off ground (lower spin), and as a picker - minimizes thin shots. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Tee them all. It's all about a consistent lie. We have varying grass height where I play depending on time of year, overseed, etc. I have to put up with it in the fairway, why would I do it on the tee? At this time of year we get flyers out of the tee area! C'mon man.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I tee everything up unless I want to take spin off the ball on some par 3's. Teeing up 8 on down gets too spinny sometimes.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

Arguably the GOAT, paraphrasing Jack Nicklaus, "You get 18 opportunities per round for a perfect lie, why in the world would you ever put the ball on the turf for a tee shot?"  Contrarily, I remember Ken Venturi's approval of John Cook putting the ball on the turf on par 3's when Cook won the 1996 St. Jude Classic, rationalizing, "You hit every other iron during a round of golf from the turf, why use a tee on the other 4?"  No disrespect for Ken Venturi, but Jack's logic with 18 majors vs Venturi's lone one (US Open), makes more sense to me.  Short answer to the topic.  I'm using a tee on every hole.

Cobra LTDx LS (Hzrdus Smoke Black, S), Ping i3 (Recoil S), Cobra one length wedges (KBS Tour), L.A.B. DF 2.1 putter

I tee up everything when the rules allow.  Heights range from barely above the ground with wedges to 3 inches with a driver.  Sam Snead told a 14 year old Davis Love III to always tee the ball up when the rules allow.  Good enough for me.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 10/28/2023 at 1:59 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

As mentioned I essentially only tee up driver, but I am willing to change or try. 

My thought is I don't get to tee up in the fairway and still hit good to great shots there. I can get that same thing on the tee box by not teeing up. Putting the ball on s tee there while not massively does change that and would be the abnormal lie compared to what I play throughout the round. 

It's an interesting topic and maybe I will trying putting on a tee more often. What's the harm?

... It would be interesting for you to tee up every shot in the fairway and see if you hit even better approach shots. I always use a tee and with wedges I the it up so it is just barely above the ground and looks just like it does in the fairway from above. Hitting it just a hair heavy that would normally produce a good shot can be an eye opener if you hit a rock, root or a tee still in the ground from a previous player. Sure that's rare but why take the chance of it happening even once when the rules allow you to use a tee? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It would be interesting for you to tee up every shot in the fairway and see if you hit even better approach shots. I always use a tee and with wedges I the it up so it is just barely above the ground and looks just like it does in the fairway from above. Hitting it just a hair heavy that would normally produce a good shot can be an eye opener if you hit a rock, root or a tee still in the ground from a previous player. Sure that's rare but why take the chance of it happening even once when the rules allow you to use a tee? 

It's certainly something I may experiment with a little more. 

I know I may loose a bit of difference, but I hit my 3 wood a lot straighter with no tee. That I would be hard pressed to change.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

It's certainly something I may experiment with a little more. 

I know I may loose a bit of difference, but I hit my 3 wood a lot straighter with no tee. That I would be hard pressed to change.

... Not disputing your results but maybe try it with the ball imperceptibly on a tee, so virtually the same as having a perfect lie in the fairway. Even a players  like Sergio/Tiger the take pretty big divots with their fairway woods use a tee, but so low it's hard to tell. Of course there is the mental side of the game and if you are hitting a fairway wood really well without teeing it up, I certainly understand why you wouldn't want to change. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x