Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

MyGolfSpy Forum: How To Be A Tester Guide

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

This is for informational purposes only. Please do not apply in this thread! 

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

A Sunday boost for what should be one of the most read threads on this forum. 

If you are serious about wanting to be a tester, read this thread. I made this new so you did not have to read through pages and pages of posts to get to know where, what and how and anything else is important. 

It is all right there! 

I will be completely transparent here - we need more active and engaged members. We have a TON of amazing testing opportunities lined up and available for our community. However we are still only going to select those who are engaged with the community and participate. If that means active and contributing members get multiple tests in a season, then so be it! 

People who just come to sign up, post in the testers wanted and then leave till the next week, that really is fine! We hope you stay and enjoy reading the content, but it is very hard for us to select someone with that history or profile for products that are valued at hundreds, even thousands of dollars. 

There needs to be a level of trust and history in order for us to have confidence in selections. These are not giveaways or prizes. The companies that we get to provide product, follow, watch and sometimes even participate in the testing opportunities and we need members who are going to dive head first into these reviews. Not just for the final review, but for the whole testing period. 

We have already done several selections this season and there are man great options, it makes it hard to choose at times, but there are also times where can see that someone hasn't logged in for the last 4 months till now and hasn't posted in 8 months. Hate to break it to that person, but we just aren't going to take that risk. 

The best way for you to get noticed and on our radar is by participating on the forum, doing a WIYB post with a little intro, take part in various areas on the forum that interest you and have fun with it! 

Have a great Super Bowl Sunday all and I hope that this guide will lead to many many many more of our members getting selected. 

Quality of post and not quantity of posts is of more importance, and I know we will always disagree on this reality.  Who we may know in the business should also be pertinent, but I'm not sure how that can get conveyed to you unless you read between the lines of various posts.

5 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

Who we may know in the business should also be pertinent, but I'm not sure how that can get conveyed to you unless you read between the lines of various posts.

Can you expand on this? 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

A more more coming this season! Be sure to give this thread a read to better your chances at being selected!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 2/11/2024 at 11:40 AM, TJ Hall said:

I think it also can help to start small, doing a good review/test for a ball or glove is an easy way to prove yourself.  Another option is to do an “unofficial” review.

After doing a test, I have a whole new respect for the time and effort that goes into these.

The MGS team does a great job selecting the group for each test.

100% agree!

I will add that even if someone has already reviewed a particular brand/product, (official or unofficial) , it would be beneficial to others to add your own in depth personal review of that item. It's more than words and pictures,  it's details that may prove useful within different perspectives. Not everyone connects with a data driven report. Others may be comfortable reading simplified breakdowns. 

A helpful tip: read through all the other reviews to gain a true perspective!

I am still learning what it takes to produce a solid review that can really connect to as many as possible. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

As this has come up in a few emails we have received I think it's okay to address or make a point about testing a bit more clear.

Testing is not a prize or a contest.

If someone is reading this and they have never posted before the likelihood of being chosen is essentially zero.

Why? 

Simple, we don't know you or have any history of what you can do or provide. This is not to say that person would not be an excellent tester, but how could we possibly know? 

Look at it from an admin side - we have an obligation to provide excellent reviews to our community, it's members and of course the OEM involved. When someone does a poor job or ghosts it looks bad on us as we did the selections. 

We are responsible for providing hundreds or even thousands of dollars to members online - most if not all we have not met in person. There needs to be done history or activity that can at least give us a glimpse of potential. And trust me we work really hard to provide new member opportunities! 

However if we see a sign up and someone has no posts, or maybe 10 posts but all saying pick me type posts it's simply hard to trust. 

Of course if you have questions let us know,!

Well said @GolfSpy_APH, The OEM's rely/depend on MGS and its members to be honest and detail their reviews, as @Cfhandyman stated about reading and re-reading the guidelines is a must for complete accurate reviews and to give members guidelines as to what is expected before, during and after testing.

Since MGS has really no face to face interactions with a member, they must rely on the members posts and interactions with other MGS members so a comfort level can be reach to make a decision and then possibly grant a product for testing. 

I know its a very hard line when choosing a tester and thankfully we have the ADMIN staff to sort through everything. MGS administrators are the best and always are out to do the right thing to help the members and OEM's.  Well Done.

I'm glad I stumbled across the MGS website in 2022... Now that was a GREAT DAY OF GOLF!! 

Thank you MGS you are a vital part of the golf world, keep it rockin' 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

Beyond the selection process admins/mods go thru, the ability to follow directions is also important.  Each test has its own parameters and requirements.  What is needed for one test,  may not be the same for other tests. Even if it's with similar equipment. 

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

This thread and guide is fantastic and really drives home the fact that testing is serious business - which is awesome! When I first joined earlier this year, I looked at the testing opportunities much more casually and after digging in, it's obviously anything but casual. Thanks for the work y'all put towards the testing process for both the manufacturers and the community, and thanks for laying out all this great information on how to get involved.

Ping G30 9* w/ Diamana Ahina 70 S
Callaway X Hot 15*
Taylormade Tour Preferred MB 3-PW
Titleist SM4 52* and 58*
SeeMore Model C 35"

Lots of new names out here past week.

Remember to review the how to be a tester at the beginning of this thread! Can’t wait to see some new names around regularly!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 2 weeks later...

that cleared a lot up in terms of criteria and process. thanks, MGS for transparency and ongoing efforts to make our community sustainable 

Tony Penna Putter

Akira 58 wedge, orig graphite stiff for irons

PRGR ID Nabla forged tour irons 5-P weak

Adams 5 hybrid UST Proforce Hybrid Stiff

Callaway UW17,19 Hazardous Smoke RDX S

PXG Gen 5 0311 10.5, Hazardous Smoke RDX 

20 minutes ago, meteorinnov8 said:

that cleared a lot up in terms of criteria and process. thanks, MGS for transparency and ongoing efforts to make our community sustainable 

We do what we can! 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 2/11/2024 at 8:48 AM, Rob Person said:

Well written, and very to the point, posts  by all above.

I don't stick around just waiting for the next testing opportunity,  I actually enjoy coming here daily (ok, multiple times daily, 😂) and reading,  learning, and enjoying all there is available. And boy, is there ALOT! I know you will find a multitude of healthy discussions or insightful topics to become engaged in.

Rereading this thread has proven very beneficial to understanding how to be a tester and a solid one that provides insights from added points of view.  As @Rob Person said above, I tend to visit the MGS site  at least twice a day, and having a committed thread or threads that I regularly post/follow helps me stay in the loop.  Also those new to testing (my first test was last year with the Indi Wedges (still doing follow-up posts)) and the Odyssey AI-One Milled putter (aka “Millie”),  I highly recommend searching earlier tests and see how the testers did their thing (the Intros, the initial reviews, the finals and follow-ups). I’ve learned much about solid writing and media posts by just taking time to read and letting that data marinate.  
Looking forward to the opportunities presented in 2024! 

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Well, this was certainly an eye opener!  I have tested for other golf sites, but they had no where near the requirements of MGS.  But, neither did those other sites provide the scientific insights that MGS does!  During Covid shutdown I used MGS for a driver fitting.  Let me just say that I am still using that particular driver!  So, from personal experience I appreciate what MGS requires of their testers.  Thanks for the insights into the process!  I haven’t been chosen to test by MGS, but plan to up my game and keep applying when a product fits my profile.

I don’t carry a fairway wood…

Just now, RVAJIM said:

Thanks to all for the insights and recommendations.

"90% of all short putts, don't go in" - Hubert Green

Irons: PXG 211 irons

Driver: Callaway Rogue driver, Fuji Ventus TR Blue

Wedges: Vokey SM8 - 50, 54, 58 deg

Putter: Odyssey Works #7

"90% of putts that are short don't go in", Yogi Berra

Screenshot2024-03-04at9_39_46AM.png.445aa43d16cefc00c5d5ed1909a0fab8.png

On 1/4/2024 at 3:10 PM, GolfSpy_BEN said:

Also important to keep these 3 things in mind as we enter the 2024 testing season:

• no profile pic = no test. 

• Carefully consider the opportunity before you sign up. If you are selected to test an item, it will likely be the only test you will be selected for this season. 
  • Testing equipment does not in any way equate to a free giveaway. By agreeing to test something you will be agreeing to give a good portion of your time and attention over a 4-6 week period. Testing is a lot of fun, but it is also work and should be considered as such.

With that being said, good luck this season and I can’t wait to share all the good things we are working on with you all!

Have you considered allowing bigger file sizes for pictures? Every profile picture I try to upload is too big for allowable size

Callaway Rogue ST max LS 9.5

Cobra LTDx 3 wood

Wilson D9 irons 4-gap

Cleveland zipcore 54,56,60

Taylormade Spyder mallet

54 minutes ago, Proimpactclubworx said:

Have you considered allowing bigger file sizes for pictures? Every profile picture I try to upload is too big for allowable size

It's a system limitation. There are a bunch of resizing apps or even websites you can use to make any photo meet the size requirements.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW