Phil Mickelson and Callaway Golf Split

In a post on X, Phil Mickelson announced his split with Callaway golf. Promoted the new Chrome Tour X in the post and had positive things to say about the relationship he maintained with them while there. Interesting to say the least and have to wonder if he will land with someone else. 

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Wow! End of an era! What did Phil play before Callaway?

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, 5.5 flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :ping-small: DS72 C, 35”, PP60 grip

41 minutes ago, BallsLeon said:

Google says he played Titleist before Callaway. Apparently it was a big deal and he switched 9 days before one of the cups. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

If I'm not mistaken, Callaway "froze" their partnership with Phil following his scary motherf***ers comments a while back. I don't think this is an announcement of an official split, just Phil saying he really likes the ball.

Edited by FrogginBullfish

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Well now I guess I have to dump my Callaway PM Grind wedges!!  🥴

Dang, I dropped Nike and now I have to buy all new clubs too. WTF

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

2 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

Titleist I believe. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

45 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

If I'm not mistaken, Callaway "froze" their partnership with Phil following his scary motherf***ers comments a while back. I don't think this is an announcement of an official split, just Phil saying he really likes the ball.

I think you may be right. I didn't think he was still with Callaway. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

That's two big splits with big time brands between Phil and Tiger.

The lean in on socials and younger golfers it makes sense. Callaway pulled back from Phil after ... Err... The comments. Seemed like it was only a matter of time.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I can’t say I’m shocked by it. Cobra pulled out of the Dechambeau deal very shortly after he went to LIV. That was probably two fold on that though. Him saying the clubs sucked, and him going to LIV. I think I’d be surprised if/when or already happened, that Taylormade stops sponsoring DJ. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

PXG 7 wood with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Mizuno S23 54 and 58 degree wedges

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Titleist I believe. 

Yep…731PM custom mixed set was the first of its kind.

His post on Twitter was gentlemanly and kind…he had immense praise for the company in general and was glowing over the Chrome golf balls.  

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

58 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Yep…731PM custom mixed set was the first of its kind.

His post on Twitter was gentlemanly and kind…he had immense praise for the company in general and was glowing over the Chrome golf balls.  

He used to be one of my favorite players. He was always good with fans and his imagination around the course was amazing. He fell off the wagon the last handful of years. 

I'll get hate for this, and I respected Tiger for his skill (one of the best) but wasn't a fan with the way he treated fans. I understand when guys don't acknowledge fans during a round but the second you are done, it should be about those kids as you're walking to sign score cards. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

25 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

He used to be one of my favorite players. He was always good with fans and his imagination around the course was amazing. He fell off the wagon the last handful of years. 

I'll get hate for this, and I respected Tiger for his skill (one of the best) but wasn't a fan with the way he treated fans. I understand when guys don't acknowledge fans during a round but the second you are done, it should be about those kids as you're walking to sign score cards. 

You’re correct in the fact that prime Tiger was ruthless, not only on the course but off. I do feel like he’s gotten better as he’s gotten older IMO, though. 

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

#LeftyGang

Just now, Jnoble89 said:

You’re correct in the fact that prime Tiger was ruthless, not only on the course but off. I do feel like he’s gotten better as he’s gotten older IMO, though. 

He has for sure!  And look, I get it 110% during play.  To win and be as good as he was/is, you have to have that focus.  For me it was all these kids looking up to you and buying your gear and playing golf because of you.  Sign a hat, give a high five, just something. 

He is one of the best, if not the best golfer and I won't question that. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

I agree.  He was taught at a young age to win at all costs…there was little human emotion.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

55 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

He has for sure!  And look, I get it 110% during play.  To win and be as good as he was/is, you have to have that focus.  For me it was all these kids looking up to you and buying your gear and playing golf because of you.  Sign a hat, give a high five, just something. 

He is one of the best, if not the best golfer and I won't question that. 

Absolutely Josh. Completely agree with you. 

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I agree.  He was taught at a young age to win at all costs…there was little human emotion.

@bens197 for sure true and you can still see/feel that in his interactions with people and the media I think. There’s still that hesitation in his body language where he just looks uncomfortable sometimes. 

#LeftyGang

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I'm not going to judge Phil based on his split with the PGA.  He and Tiger both shared their beef with PGA exec's over the years (decades actually) and were basically thrown crumbs and ignored.  They were both the top players of their era and brought much to the game we know today. Phil has a gambling problem like Daly had a drinking problem.  They are humans and have faults like us... wow, surprise. 

Phil's decision to join LIV was purely a business/money decision... not unlike the vast majority of people that inhabit the planet.  Like DJ, Rahm, HV3, and many others, he chose genrational wealth.  Callaway's decision to part ways with Phil was business and optics based.  To the extent it plays out in their favor or their demise remains to be seen.  Hat's off to Phil for the manner in which he handled this.  I'm guessing he'll still play the Chromesoft until another money-ball comes along.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm not going to judge Phil based on his split with the PGA.  He and Tiger both shared their beef with PGA exec's over the years (decades actually) and were basically thrown crumbs and ignored.  They were both the top players of their era and brought much to the game we know today. Phil has a gambling problem like Daly had a drinking problem.  They are humans and have faults like us... wow, surprise. 

Phil's decision to join LIV was purely a business/money decision... not unlike the vast majority of people that inhabit the planet.  Like DJ, Rahm, HV3, and many others, he chose genrational wealth.  Callaway's decision to part ways with Phil was business and optics based.  To the extent it plays out in their favor or their demise remains to be seen.  Hat's off to Phil for the manner in which he handled this.  I'm guessing he'll still play the Chromesoft until another money-ball comes along.

Phil slipped off the wagon. Everything caught up to him just like it did Tiger.  Again he has always been a favorite player of mine and part of the reason I got in to this game. He's been split from callaway for a while now and was promoting the chromesoft ball.  He's still solid but has definitely become outspoken as of late.  

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Being completely honest I avoided Callaway clubs and well everything for years because of Phil. Silly I know, but I never jived with him or just how he is and because of that avoided all things Callaway. It wasn't until I bought a XR16 driver that I started to look at their clubs more seriously.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

47 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Being completely honest I avoided Callaway clubs and well everything for years because of Phil. Silly I know, but I never jived with him or just how he is and because of that avoided all things Callaway. It wasn't until I bought a XR16 driver that I started to look at their clubs more seriously.

That  is funny,  I too not because of Phil, but I wanted a new driver went to golf galaxy back in the day and all they had was an XR16  for a lefty and I was leaving the next weekend on a golf trip! Was only $50 so I bought it, now I play the Rouge st max!

Alan Scalzi 

I feel the one thing not being talked about is Rahm. Is his partnership going to stay with Callaway? Also, I didn’t think about it when I commented originally. Callaway is sponsoring more YouTube golfers now. Why do they need pro golfers to promote their material that is only shown once a week and sparingly during the broadcasts, when they can also have YouTube channels golfers have their clubs and it’s pretty much uninterrupted watching golf? (Pretty sure I should have broke that up into two sentences)

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

21 hours ago, Bogey Depot said:

Callaway is getting more invested in LIV and drops Phil, interesting. 

Guess I'll be dropping anything Callaway from my bag. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Phil lost me years ago for the way he dumped Titleist. It was a blindsiding, low class move, and a total burning of bridges. If he had been anything less than totally gracious with Callaway I don't think any brand would ever consider dealing with him in the future.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Interesting.  I was a long time Phil fan and never played anything Callaway.  I only heard through the grapevine that the company I worked for had teamed up with Callaway on the XR16 driver.  During that time I was not playing golf all that much and most definitely did not stay current on the latest in product offerings.  I avoided all Swoosh products not because of Tiger or MJ but because that symbol so saturated the market I was tired of seeing it.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 hour ago, Wheelieb said:

I feel the one thing not being talked about is Rahm. Is his partnership going to stay with Callaway? Also, I didn’t think about it when I commented originally. Callaway is sponsoring more YouTube golfers now. Why do they need pro golfers to promote their material that is only shown once a week and sparingly during the broadcasts, when they can also have YouTube channels golfers have their clubs and it’s pretty much uninterrupted watching golf? (Pretty sure I should have broke that up into two sentences)

Rumours and they are just that. What I have read is Callaway has been offered shared or equity in Rahms team. That's likely why as LIV works to attract more companies and sponsorship. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Rumours and they are just that. What I have read is Callaway has been offered shared or equity in Rahms team. That's likely why as LIV works to attract more companies and sponsorship. 

I've not read that, but I have also not looked deep into it. I just know that for Callaway and Taylormade they are sponsoring a lot of the youtube creators. I will have to find that video of it talking about that and share it. But it makes sense when it was explained that those companies are getting their products shown easier and more often. It does a way better job than what I can at explaining it.

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

7 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I've not read that, but I have also not looked deep into it. I just know that for Callaway and Taylormade they are sponsoring a lot of the youtube creators. I will have to find that video of it talking about that and share it. But it makes sense when it was explained that those companies are getting their products shown easier and more often. It does a way better job than what I can at explaining it.

The main site has published a few articles on both those topics!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Phil played another brand that slips my mind prior to Titleist, it came to me Yonex when turned pro , Phil lost my respect when he blindsided Watson in the Ryder cup press conference , felt he should have done that in private but when he called out the Tour for charging him a million dollar media rights deal to do a made for tv event then I saw the way the tour had been cheating their members for years especially if you aren’t a top 20 guy , I regained my respect for him . I personally like LIV since I can see all the players instead of the same 8 unless TW is playing then it’s him for 6 hours 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet