Suggestions for a 5 wood

I’m currently using the Callaway XHot Pro 13.5* wood. Love it off the tee. I can control it and hit it as far as I need to. The only issue is I don’t hit it high enough off the deck to bring it in softly into greens. Looking into 5 woods. Any suggestions? I have no brand loyalty. It should help bridge the gap between my 3 hybrid (230-240 yds) in the 255 range. Should only come into play on long par 5s but would like to have the option to hit it off the tee when needed. 

WITB:

Driver - TaylorMade SIM with Ventus Blue 6s

Irons - TaylorMade P790 4-PW

Hybrid - Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3 hybrid

Wood - Callaway XHot Pro 

Wedges - 50* Vokey SM5 56* Vokey SM9 60* Vokey SM9

Putter - I switch between my Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 and my Mizuno M Craft Type VI

I'm going to suggest Cobra - but try and go a little older for the rail models. F7-Radspeed. Or even LTDx. 

Great clubs in my opinion and you won't spend a fortune.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'd suggest looking at the Callaway Apex 5UW. Cross between a hybrid and fairway, super easy to hit.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

using Ts2 myself, love it because it´s really forgiving and for me atleast "easy" to hit high and get a soft landing

Driver: Titlest TS2 12,5 degree
3 wood:Titlest TS2 15 degree
Hybrid: Titlest TS2 21,5 degree
4- P iron: Mizuno Jpx921 HM
50 degree Mizuno Jpx 921
56 and 60 wedge TaylorMade Milled Grind Satin Chrome
Putter: Ping Ds72
Starting to get a good setup, just want to change up the irons, with a 4 Iron at 19 degree it´s not really helping me with a hybrid in the bag. And my swingspeed is just little bit to slow for the shaft I use on the irons so hit it a little low and little right compare to clubs I testet with another shaft.

Lots of good to great suggestions here. I don't generally carry a 5-wood because my "gamer" fairways are a 4-wood (16.5* but adjustable from 15.0* to 17.25* loft) and a 7-wood (21*, set to 20* loft). However, when I do carry a 5-wood it is one of the following:

Cobra LTDx (18.5*, set to 17.5*) -- very forgiving, and it has the sole rails.

Callaway Apex Utility Wood (19*) -- more like a large hybrid, and has a very versatile sole design.

Titleist TSi3 5W (18*, set to 18.75*) -- more compact, but with a deeper face, less forgiving, but it's an absolute "rocket launcher"; if I have this club in my bag, even when it's set to 18.75* loft, I really don't need the Titleist TS2 4-wood in my bag!

Tour Edge Exotics C721 or C723 5-wood (18* loft) -- the C721 is NOT adjustable, but the C723 is adjustable from 16.5* to 19.5*. Both are exceptionally forgiving, and the C723 is a "bomber" that is as long as any 3-wood or 4-wood I have ever hit, even when set to the standard loft setting.

If you are looking for versatility and forgiveness, higher launch and a softer landing (steeper angle of descent), the Cobra LTDx or Tour Edge Exotics C721 would be my first choices. For pure distance, either the Titleist TSi3 or the T.E. Exotics C723 would top the list, with the C723 offering much more forgiveness than the TSi3.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Check out Callaway Pre Owned.  They have a ton of deals going on right now. 

I can second @Josh Parker here. I got a Rogue ST Max 5 wood from Callaway PreOwned - still had the plastic on it. Pleased with my purchase - about 40% of the new price. One of four clubs I have bought from them in the last five months. 

Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4 / Callaway Rogue ST 5FW / Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids / Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW / Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60 / Odyssey White Hot OG 7 / Mizuno RB566

I’ll agree with @Josh Parker and @Green4Spinach with the Callaway Pre Owned. Lots of great options available and they run good deals all the time. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I'm currently using a Sub70 949 5-wood I reviewed a couple of years ago:

If you read the reviews, all of us were very positive about the Sub70 line.  The price is good, they have a money-back guarantee, a fair number of shaft options, its certainly worth looking at.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Lots of suggestions for the Cobra LTDx and the Callaway Apex. I’ll give both a try and see which fits me best. Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ve never gamed a Cobra, so this might be my first!

WITB:

Driver - TaylorMade SIM with Ventus Blue 6s

Irons - TaylorMade P790 4-PW

Hybrid - Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3 hybrid

Wood - Callaway XHot Pro 

Wedges - 50* Vokey SM5 56* Vokey SM9 60* Vokey SM9

Putter - I switch between my Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 and my Mizuno M Craft Type VI

One more vote for Cobra here! I have Aerojet 5w and I love it! I think that now as the darkspeed is released, you could get one with rather fair price. 

• :callaway-small: Ai Smoke Max 10.5° driver - Graphite Design Tour AD CQ-6 X
  • :cobra-small: Aerojet 5w - MCA Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
  • :cobra-small: Cobra LTDx 4h - KBS PGI 85 Stiff
  • :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW - KBS Tour Lite Stiff
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 50° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
  • :wilson_staff_small: Model 56° - Dynamic Gold 120 S300
  • JAG Blade Putter (Finnish microbrand)
On 2/25/2024 at 7:53 AM, Solid said:

I like the cobra speed zone 5 wood. I'm able to get excellent launch with it and it adjustable from 16.5-19.5. So it makes it easy to bridge your gap and adjust accordingly to the courses you play. 

Welcome @Solid and @Bryceb. Glad you both are with the forum. Looking forward to reading some of your experiences in the future. Welcome.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

17 hours ago, TuukkaH said:

One more vote for Cobra here! I have Aerojet 5w and I love it! I think that now as the darkspeed is released, you could get one with rather fair price. 

Welcome @TuukkaH. Glad to see you are well on your way to adding your input to the group. We need great input and interests. Welcome.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I’ve recently bought the Ping G430 max 5 Wood with an Kai ‘Li 70 Stiff shaft and I can’t recommend it enough! Had a TaylorMade Sim Max 5 wood for years with Diamana 75 Stiff shaft which I loved, but this Ping seems straighter with tighter dispersion. It also sits beautifully and the noise on impact is more positive than the Sim. Seems good value compared to the other top brand competitor models on the market as well. 

Proud Welshman, keen golfer, terrible at chipping. 

Though it's technically not a five wood, I use a Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood as my five wood.  The head is a little larger than a five wood (170 cc just smaller than the 3 wood),  20 degrees loft (2 degrees more than a typical five wood, but I the GBB Epic model is adjustable so I reduce the loft those 2 degrees) and is 0.25 inch longer than a five wood.   I like it because it's look, length and set up are very similar like my Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4