Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Okay played today - I was going to call it off due to a nasty head cold but just needed to get outside and away from work so did school chapel and then hit the course - cool, breezy day - I'm sure you saw that if you watched Bayhill although it's always significantly windier by the water then in Orlando.

At any rate we played trade irons today - my friend wanted to try my Mizunos and a guy that was with us has Rocketbldz with graphite shafts. I shot 79 which doesn't sound so great but I've played twice in the last weeks and felt like crap. I also didn't putt very well and wasn't all that focused. I loved the Rocketbldz, hit several good shots with them - had a double and a triple that inflated my score - just couldn't focus in that middle part of the round until I got some more water in me. I really drove the ball well today - missed three fairways but two of them were missed because I drove the ball through fairways on lines that I would normally not even come close driving it through on. None of the three drives left me in any kind of trouble. My blow up came when I hit a tree trying to lay up on a par 5 (overhanging limb - was trying to cut the ball around it and blocked it right into the stupid tree. I also hit a ball in the water on a par 3 -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey all,

Broke 85 for the first time ever yesterday (45,39 for an 84). New course for me and it was a bit up-and-down (my ball striking), which is fine as I know that I have a good deal of room for improvement:

Picture1.jpg

I rushed three short (~2ft) putts trying to 'finish them' - probably should have learned from the first missed one, but didn't... I need to make a conscious decision to employ the same routine over putts IRRESPECTIVE of length I think. I also chunked a handful of chips, so those two areas are definitely top of my practice list from now on.

All-in-all, very happy to have broken 85 and have a renewed enthusiasm!

• SPY VIP

Hey all,

Broke 85 for the first time ever yesterday (45,39 for an 84). New course for me and it was a bit up-and-down (my ball striking), which is fine as I know that I have a good deal of room for improvement:

Picture1.jpg

I rushed three short (~2ft) putts trying to 'finish them' - probably should have learned from the first missed one, but didn't... I need to make a conscious decision to employ the same routine over putts IRRESPECTIVE of length I think. I also chunked a handful of chips, so those two areas are definitely top of my practice list from now on.

That's pretty awesome breaking 85 dude.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Hey all,

Picture1.jpg

"Good shots are a matter of knowing the process to make the shot. Without a process the swing is random. You can't judge random." ~ Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting) ~ Lession 144

Golf is a repetitive game, If you don't have the same process before every putt / swing then how can you know you did everything in the same way? Here is a good article from Bruce about a consistent swing >> http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2011/07/finding-consistent-golf-swing.html

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

"Good shots are a matter of knowing the process to make the shot. Without a process the swing is random. You can't judge random." ~ Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting) ~ Lession 144

Golf is a repetitive game, If you don't have the same process before every putt / swing then how can you know you did everything in the same way? Here is a good article from Bruce about a consistent swing >> http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2011/07/finding-consistent-golf-swing.html

Thanks JM, I completely agree. And I also know that to see any real improvements I need to transfer 'what I know' into 'what I do'. That's the challenge as I see it. Thanks also for linking the articles, I'll have a read through them this evening.

Cheers

Brad

Well done Brad!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Thanks JM, I completely agree. And I also know that to see any real improvements I need to transfer 'what I know' into 'what I do'. That's the challenge as I see it. Thanks also for linking the articles, I'll have a read through them this evening.

Cheers

Brad

If you dig threw all Bruce's articles, you will find him talk about "verbalize your swing". If you can write down the sequence of motion that you make to hit good shots then you will have a good idea of what is going wrong or right in your swing. Knowing how to correct it is a different beast all together :)

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

If you dig threw all Bruce's articles, you will find him talk about "verbalize your swing". If you can write down the sequence of motion that you make to hit good shots then you will have a good idea of what is going wrong or right in your swing. Knowing how to correct it is a different beast all together :)

That's a fantastic idea! Thanks again JM

No problem, as MBP named me "swing guru" which I find hilarious. I have other people that taught me to thank for my swing knowledge.

Congrats on breaking 85! Work on that putting and chipping and we'll be congratulating you soon on breaking 80!

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Great job Brad!

I played today with my son who's here on leave. I'm well on my way to finding my golf mojo again. Shot 36,37 73. Lipped out for Eagle on 18. It was certainly a windy day but reaching a tight 480 yard par 5 with a 4 hybrid on my approach made my day. In fact the course we played was super tight and it was very, very windy. I didn't miss a fairway on the back 9 and I was hitting it very, very solidly with the driver.

The game is so much more fun when I play like this. When can I play again?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great job Brad!

I played today with my son who's here on leave. I'm well on my way to finding my golf mojo again. Shot 36,37 73. Lipped out for Eagle on 18. It was certainly a windy day but reaching a tight 480 yard par 5 with a 4 hybrid on my approach made my day. In fact the course we played was super tight and it was very, very windy. I didn't miss a fairway on the back 9 and I was hitting it very, very solidly with the driver.

The game is so much more fun when I play like this. When can I play again?

Argh, we're so close to opening courses here in MN finally... I can't wait to post my first round.

Excellent job, and enjoy having your son home on leave!

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Played at a place called Yorba Linda C.C. for our team's practice round. I couldn't hit anything to save my life but made up and down on a couple holes. I bought a Odyssey Sabertooth Belly Putter today and put it in play without any prior practice and had 1 or 2 three putts which is amazing for me especially lately. So today my hitting sucked but putting was good, usually the opposite. I'm excited because my putting seemed a lot better and I know it will help a lot with my scores on days where my hitting is on.

Well, I only got one round in this weekend, but it was the first round of the season! It was in Iowa at the Finkbine Golf Club (home of the Hawkeyes). Really great temperatures, but the wind was wild and gusting into the 30s of mph. It made for some interesting holes.

Started out playing some mediocre bogey golf before a 2 hole meltdown before the turn, but recovered for most of the back nine to slightly better than bogey golf. Biggest issue was easily my wedge play. I had some really stellar wedge shots, but a majority of them were embarrassing. I putted well, and tinkered with the swing a bit, but overall felt ok about my contact, and distance. Practice will really help.

Highlight of the day was the signature island green hole. I had just caught up to the group ahead of me on the elevated tee as they were teeing off (and into the water) and they had me play through. Basically this meant that I had to hit into an island green with 30mph + winds from a really elevated tee with an audience! Thankfully I struck it well and had it perfectly on line and cutting with the wind right at the pin but a little over 15ft from the hole... No water for me! Then it was just a normal 2 putt for par followed by a torturous walk back up the same hill I had just walked down to get to the next hole.

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Always loved those first rounds of the spring - I particularly enjoyed going out by myself like you did Paul - nothing like getting back into the swing of things, seeing the course, thinking about what lay ahead for the summer.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Got out to play 9 today before my night class. It was extremely windy but still a nice day. I had my new driver so I was excited to try it out. Unfortunely my swing pretty much went on the lamb and could not be found for the first 5 holes. I had no tempo or gauge of distance. Towards the end when i settled down i was able to put a few decent holes together ending up with three straight bogeys. Which for me is pretty darn good. Even though i wasn't swinging the best I had a few shots that I know I coudln't have pulled off last season no matter how good i was playing. The best one of the day was on 9 where i was about 45-50yds out and i hit a nice little pitch with my 56 that rolled to about 10 inches from the cup. So while it wasn't my best round it defiantly showed all the practice i put in this winter has helped and that I am improving which is always great to see.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Got out to play 9 today before my night class. It was extremely windy but still a nice day. I had my new driver so I was excited to try it out. Unfortunely my swing pretty much went on the lamb and could not be found for the first 5 holes. I had no tempo or gauge of distance. Towards the end when i settled down i was able to put a few decent holes together ending up with three straight bogeys. Which for me is pretty darn good. Even though i wasn't swinging the best I had a few shots that I know I coudln't have pulled off last season no matter how good i was playing. The best one of the day was on 9 where i was about 45-50yds out and i hit a nice little pitch with my 56 that rolled to about 10 inches from the cup. So while it wasn't my best round it defiantly showed all the practice i put in this winter has helped and that I am improving which is always great to see.

It's funny, you have a new driver and were so excited and the best shot of the day came with the wedges. Good luck on you quest to become a knight. I did not know that they still had knight classes. Perhaps chivalry is not dead.:lol:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

It's funny, you have a new driver and were so excited and the best shot of the day came with the wedges. Good luck on you quest to become a knight. I did not know that they still had knight classes. Perhaps chivalry is not dead.:lol:

The%20Knight.jpg

That'll be me next summer, just sub in a driver for the lance :lol: :lol:

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

The%20Knight.jpg

That'll be me next summer, just sub in a driver for the lance :lol: :lol:

That was quick, did you copy it off your text book?:lol:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

That was quick, did you copy it off your text book?:lol:

Darn, you caught me :( lol

So today I played a quick 9, and while I didn't play shabby for aerated greens (5 over) my playing partner put me to shame. He had an eagle, lipped out another eagle put from under 10 feet, and threw in 2 other birdies. It was impressive to watch to say the least.

Played yesterday at the TPC Valley, shot a 42-47--89. Two triples on 12 and 13 where the Tee Shot troll reached out and grabbed me out of nowhere (two of the worst drives of the year, one right and guess what? The next one left). Other than those holes and two badly missed four footers for pars, played well for me. Long putting was outstanding. In the full game, trying to incorporate keeping my hip turn compact and not sliding back (the takeaway from my last lesson) with the feel of the y drill from the tour tempo book. I'd say it worked wonderfully for me on six out of 14 drives, three out of six fairway wood/utility shots, four out of 7 full irons, and five out of seven 3/4 to full wedges, so just over 55% of full shots. Way better percentage than is my norm, so I'm encouraged.

Had another Golf Tec lesson this am, and we did in fact end up working on the y drill concepts and tips to help prevent the wrist collapse at impact, which is one of my natural faults that probably happened on the 45% of full shots yesterday where I didn't successfully incorporate the feel I'm working for. The video analysis also confirms that I'm still a significant distance away from the optimal positions, even when I do a swing that feels like I'm getting it. Those swings are noticeably better than when I started this process, but still a ways to go. Arms are still too far ahead of my hip rotation. Play again tomorrow am. May try for a brief range session this aft to work on some drills, back permitting.

BTW, for all those spring-starved northerners wondering when it will arrive, I won't mention that yesterday was low 80's, slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky. Three hour and 20 minute round, pretty good for the Valley.

Another FYI--RP --I've got the Tour Tempo stuff. I'm only using the short game tour tones right now. With trying to rework the swing and stance with the golf lessons, trying to overlay working with the tempo tones was too much overload. I'm going to wait until I'm a bit more comfortable with what I'm doing. The book is very helpful, however.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Shot even par 36 today to shoot my best round in an official HS match and to tie my best 9 hole score in my life. Our team shot 1 over par (181) which is our new school record and I got to be part of that which was cool. We took 5 scores: 34 (-2), 34 (-2), 36 (E), 38 (+2), 39 (+3).

Congratulations on the records!

Also, congratulations on 500 posts.

Paul

Shot even par 36 today to shoot my best round in an official HS match and to tie my best 9 hole score in my life. Our team shot 1 over par (181) which is our new school record and I got to be part of that which was cool. We took 5 scores: 34 (-2), 34 (-2), 36 (E), 38 (+2), 39 (+3).

Congratulations Whiskey Golf!!

That is fantastic!

May it be the start of a great run! :)

Well, I had an 82 today, which sounds better than it is because I ended last year as a -5 handicap, so I have some work to do.

My driver was erratic and I had 3 three-putts. The greens were slow.

Well, I'm going to the practice green tomorrow and I'm playing Saturday and Sunday, so hopefully things will improve.

Good luck Boys!

82 whacks today; 45 out and 37 back....which contained 35 putts. Messy stuff on the greens which has not been normal recently. Really windy as well so scoring was very poor.

Shame as well as I made double down the last, a par might well have earned me some money and got me a reduction.

In good news striking the i20's really well, turning out to be a good purchase.

Tomorrow away at St Piere which hosted the 96 Solheim Cup and a number of European Tour events in the 80's. then home to watch the Masters!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.