Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Are Your Hurdles/Excuses For Not Practicing?

Kudos to everyone putting family/kids first.  You hear that time flies, but never really believe it until you are in your late fifties, and it seems like it was yesterday that you were raising your little ones...

Even for us with a lot of time, you need to decide how much time and money do you really want to spend to get better?  We would all love to be scratch, but for most, that will never happen. So we need to be realistic and just enjoy the game.  I used to be happy with bogey golf, sometimes breaking 90.  But with more time, the internet and video, now I am trying to break 80 instead of 90.  I say I would be happy with that, but obviously I would just want to get better.  So I enjoy the good rounds, and shake off the bad ones.  Life is too short, so maybe we should play much more than we practice.

PING G410 Driver and 3 metal, Callaway Hybrids, Cobra F7 irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty Cameron Phantom X7.5

When living in Michigan we are only afforded so many days of golf weather. And at 64 years old you wonder what are you practicing for. Practice now is playing multiple balls while out walking the course as a single.

tristar rick

Work for one. Kids and Family.  Two of my girls play volleyball, one of them plays basketball and softball with that too.  Keeps us busy and usually the weekends are tied up with that or it decides to rain when we don't have anything.  And after having a week of running around, sometimes you just don't want to do anything.  Seems boring, but you gotta recharge somewhere and if I go play somewhere, I can count on it being a half day from heading to the course until I get back home.  So I practice when I can, here and there.  In the past when I have been selected a tester, it gave me an excuse to go out, which is a good thing for me.  My wife and kids are supportive of me playing and want me to, but sometimes you just can't.

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

I actually LIKE to practice (hey, it's golf after all!), so I make sure I get to the range once a week.   It helps that I'm retired, so I have all week to play my rounds (twice a week), get the yard work done and any "honeydo" projects my wife has for me.   So, I usually practice one of the weekend days, while the working guys are out there playing.

I'm lucky in that the course where I practice is close to home, and has an excellent facility:  chipping green, putting green, and full range.   So, I can work on all aspects of the game every time I practice.....esp. the short game!!!

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

For me, I do not have any hurdles. I work from home and can go to the range at least twice a week. I normally hit driver and an iron, but I think I need to work on a better routine. I started to hit the putting green as well and it showed this weekend some improvements in my game.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

It used to be work, family, 2nd job, kids' schedule's, projects etc. Now it is projects, track, and my inability to practice without hitting a ball. So that leaves me with the range, simulator, or playing. For the cost I choose playing every time.

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

My dog looked sad, and there was an aggressive looking pigeon at my garden gate

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

My body hurts

It's too cold

It's too hot

It's raining

For 2 days after the rain stops- The ground is too wet

I can't practice I worked out today and I'm too stiff

I have yard work 

I can't leave the house because I'm in 30-tweet argument with some idiot on why Cobra Golf is superior to PXG

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Simple:  I would rather just be playing.  If I have the time and the weather is good, I'll take 6-9 holes over a large bucket of balls.  [Note:  I also don't have access to a "short game practice area" or practice bunker.]

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

5 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

Simple:  I would rather just be playing.  If I have the time and the weather is good, I'll take 6-9 holes over a large bucket of balls.  [Note:  I also don't have access to a "short game practice area" or practice bunker.]

I hear you.. When I was working and was lucky to get out twice a week I would play instead of practice, our course didn't have a driving range just a 100 yd practice area and it was a bit of a walk from the club house so I didn't do much warming up.

I will seque to the Ben Crenshaw, Tom Kite story from Harvey Penick who coached them both, Ben liked to play and Tom liked to practice, Harvey was adamit that Ben didn't listen when he was coaching Tom and vice versa, I believe you can learn as much if not more by just playing, again it usually comes down to time...

committed to performance excellence

Definitely work has cut into practice time. 
Regular job & part-time weekend job, even though my weekend job is at a golf course, I don't get to practice as much.  My practice time is to take the opportunity to walk 18 holes 2-4 mornings a week.  
One little issue also has cut into practice the past 2 months, sore left elbow. Limit my playing golf to walking 18 holes.  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I live on a golf course and for the past couple years when the weather permits I'll try and walk the back nine in the mornings.  For about the past 6 months I've taken 1 or 2  clubs with me on my walk.  The first few holes I never strike the ball well but usually by the end of the walk I am.  So now I just walked the first three or four holes and then start hitting balls. 

The point of this is that one of my hurdles is frustration would you hit the ball poorly you get frustrated and doesn't make you want to continue so for me I have to warm up before I start striking balls.

Slow is smooth and smooth as fast🤔

All out door sports

I do have pretty good excuses: 2 hour round trip commute 3 days/week, wife just had 3rd foot surgery (also a stroke before that), taking care of elderly parents, et al. I thought with the last kid in college now I would have so much more free time, but I have less than ever. I will say that when I get out to play I fully enjoy every second of it no matter what I shoot though and that wasn't always the case.

Parts of my game are ok. I have a RukkNet I use in my garage and in the backyard. Just focusing on tempo and contact without knowing where the ball is going seems to have helped my swing in some respects. I swing a rope and weighted clubs a # of times each week too. I have nice putting setup in my home office that also seems to have helped my stroke. I use various things like an Eyeline mirror, thin metal ruler and a target that requires speed and line be correct. I may hit balls in the net for up to 20 minutes, but usually practice is 5-10 minutes. I do miss short game practice on a real practice green and when I play that shows lol.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4w

Callaway Rogue X 5h

Taylormade P770 6-PW

Callaway MD5 52, 56, 50

Toulon Las Vegas H7

The weather for actual outside practice and life gets in the way / it’s not a habit for indoor practice 

Photographer, snowboarder, car enthusiast, total hack

Work, kids, kids' sports, ND weather, and lack of facilities. We used to have multiple driving ranges that were easy to get to and were usually not super busy. Now we have 2 in our area that are always busy and you have to walk a 1/4 mile to get to the range from the parking lot. One of the ranges you cannot hit your driver due to the fact that there are people on the opposite side hitting back towards you. If you can drive the ball over 225, your rolling up to the other people, and if you hit 250 your landing on them. I've also been told that practicing my chipping while at baseball games/practice or soccer games/practice is frowned upon by powers that be.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 
Irons: Callaway Paradym
Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-Ball SRT Putter (AKA The Space Station)
Bag: Sun Mountain Cart Bag 
Ball of Choice: Callaway Supersoft but always up to try something

I use the same logic as George Carlin with how my things are stuff and other peoples things are s***. So mine are all hurdles and everyone else's are excuses 🤣

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

One thing that makes practice hard for me is setting goals and remembering to practice around those goals.

I.E. I want to get better at my approach abilities. So I need to remember to focus on that at the range. 

Luckily my kids love beating balls so I have access to a good range session at least every week. 

Work and kids. I'll sometimes try to go to the range on my lunch break but I usually eat lunch at my desk. I do pick-ups so I get home with the two boys, then let them play a little outside. I'll sometimes have a club in my hand and just practice going through the motions. Then it's time to make dinner.

I'm also training for a marathon so my weekend mornings usually involve long runs. My wife is training with me so one day on the weekend, she'll do her long run, then I'll do mine on the other day.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

For me it is my dogs, they love chasing my clubs and the ball.  I have a hitting net in the backyard.  The thought of hitting one of them in my downswing-tough to concentrate.

Adams Hybrid Irons, Cleveland wedges 50,53,56,60, Nike Method Putter, Callaway 3 wood, Ping g25 Driver.  

Mostly the same as everyone else - work + kids = lack of time. We just welcomed our second child, so I’m lucky enough to be on paternal leave, but my toddler’s daycare decided to close for spring break 🙃. So, currently chasing him around while changing the others diapers. 

My wife also likes making plans for us with friends and family, and strategically tells me about said plans when I try to hit some balls… Weather has also played a factor as we’re getting to the time of year here in the Midwest where we can see all four seasons in a matter of a couple days. 

All that said, I have a net and small mat, but haven’t set it up. I can definitely mix in laziness in there with time and kids.

Driver: Callaway Paradym w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 60

Wood: Srixon ZX 3 wood w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60

Hybrid: Tommy Armour Evo

Long Iron: Taylormade Stealth UDI 2i w/ Aldila Ascent 100

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 5-AW w/ KBS Tour Taper-C

Wedges: Vokey 54 w/ KBS Tour, Taylormade MG 58 w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Black w/ SuperStroke Pistol 2.0 grip

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X

5 hours ago, tristar rick said:

When living in Michigan we are only afforded so many days of golf weather. And at 64 years old you wonder what are you practicing for. Practice now is playing multiple balls while out walking the course as a single.

Move to Calif.  S Diego area.  Ignore the political mess here if necessary, play golf 6 days a week, plenty of ranges, too many golf club companies.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

2015: torn muscle.  2017: re-injured the tear.

2020: worked 6 days a week during the virus.

2021: knee replacement surgery.

2022: thumb arthritis surgery.

2023: shoulder injury.

2024: toe arthritis surgery.

WIN_20240318_09_52_41_Pro.jpg

Edited by Donn lost in San Diego
knee surgery year is 2021 not 2012

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I play golf for fun!  Every round is practice for those rounds I play for money.  

Each year around this time I go out and play with intent for tracking and figuring out my yardages for the new year.   I use the entire card for this.  In the top corner of the score bax I indicate the club I teed off with ie a d in the corner.  When I shoot the yardage for the next shot I finish the box this the yards left to the flag.  I then mark the club I will hit in the box below. If I mis the green or hit it I mark the next shot distance from the hole.  I note SL for short left lr for long right and so on.  The box below has club on the green would be P off the green would give wedge loft, on green distance is in feet off is in yards.

Mishits I make a small dot in a corner of the box.  Side hill lie I mark a diagonal hash mark in the corner.  Chocked down or knock I make a dot on the left edge of the box.  The score I mark in the bottom row - for par 1 for bogie and a circled 1 for birdie. 

Doing this enables me to figure out the distance range for each club.  I also do this if I am struggling to score.  My warm ups mostly entail hitting lots of chips and putts before the round.  I use three balls and hit my lob wedge from the same area to the same flag Stock then High then low.  I then go putt the results like I am in a round.  I hit long 50 yards and short wedges green side.

Just going to the range and hitting balls almost never happens and by choice.  I would rather go play 9.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

4 hours ago, tdroma98 said:

Definitely work has cut into practice time. 
Regular job & part-time weekend job, even though my weekend job is at a golf course, I don't get to practice as much.  My practice time is to take the opportunity to walk 18 holes 2-4 mornings a week.  
One little issue also has cut into practice the past 2 months, sore left elbow. Limit my playing golf to walking 18 holes.  

see a doctor or physical therapist, prevent a little soreness from becoming a major nerve or tendon problem. I had 2 surgeries  on rt elbow and 1 on the left, for nerve entrapment.  I went from 3 yrs on disability, couldn't use a steak knife, back to playing golf with no pain.  A little bit of targeted exercise can do wonders.  I do tricep curls 1st and foremost for elbow, and straight arm raises.  

Definitely just the regular ol' life challenges. Business from work, family, etc., on top of choosing to play a round, rather than practice, which sometimes isn't the best for my game!

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver

Taylormade Stealth 2 4 wood

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 

Taylormade p790 4-PW

Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 60

Taylormade Spider GT