Attaining a single digit handicap

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Let’s talk the 260 number. That is 10 yards past what is used to define a scratch golfer. 

Yes we know lack of distance can be overcome and strokes gained tells us on a shorter course the shorter hitter has the advantage. We also know that those who excel in their approach game and around the green despite being shorter play better and that distance isn’t everything. If it was then cam champ and 5-10 other golfers would be where shorter hitters like Scheffler , Morikawa, Harmon and hovland are. Major winners and/or ranked high in owgr.

The amateur who can’t hit it as far has to work even harder to make up for being short. Not only on approach shots (most important strokes gained stat) and around the green (also pretty high ranking strokes gained stat)

There’s no guarantee in anything golf related that makes scoring easier. If so then the cam champs of the world wouldn’t be ranked 278th in the world.

Strokes gained says closer regardless of rough or fairway is better than further back in the rough. It tells us closer to the hole means better proximity to the hole which leads to increased make percentage on putts.

distance makes the game easier 

Good length does make the game easier to play. We had a discussion a while back on overall length and proximity to hole vice fairways hit. Bottom line all the evidence points to smart length is better than raw fairways hit. I would rather be in a good position in the rough at 65 yards than middle of the fairway at 165. I see this exact scenario weekly when we play here. I am lucky enough to hit it long and usually where I am looking. Gives me a tremendous advantage. 

Play like a champion today!

So much good info.  As someone who has struggled off the tee and making the effort to change my swing with a coach, I get both sides. 

When I wasn't hitting driver well, I played an iron off the tee.  It made me learn to hit the different clubs in the bag better and my greenside and putting excelled. 

Now I'm working hard on the driver and revamping my swing all together and I'm confident with the woods.  However,  if it's off, like it was today, I trust the rest of my clubs to put me in scoring positions.  I have also recognized with the swing changes that it was time to stop at 9 and hit the range to work on swing. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

So much good info.  As someone who has struggled off the tee and making the effort to change my swing with a coach, I get both sides. 

When I wasn't hitting driver well, I played an iron off the tee.  It made me learn to hit the different clubs in the bag better and my greenside and putting excelled. 

Now I'm working hard on the driver and revamping my swing all together and I'm confident with the woods.  However,  if it's off, like it was today, I trust the rest of my clubs to put me in scoring positions.  I have also recognized with the swing changes that it was time to stop at 9 and hit the range to work on swing. 

That’s a great point and I think we spoke on it before. The range is golf swing. The course is all about score. You can’t play good golf while worrying about golf swing. However, remember it takes 10,000 reps or 30 days of work everyday to completely change an old habit. Trust the process!

4 minutes ago, Javs said:

That’s a great point and I think we spoke on it before. The range is golf swing. The course is all about score. You can’t play good golf while worrying about golf swing. However, remember it takes 10,000 reps or 30 days of work everyday to completely change an old habit. Trust the process!

Absolutely!  I still shot 1 under on the 9 but didn't want to go to the back and focus on swing.  I trusted my coach and took it back to the range to work on the swing. 

I think so much of hitting single digits is between the ears but it's also the discipline of course management.  

2 hours ago, Javs said:

260 is not a short hitter. 

That’s funny because I’ve never considered 250-260 as a long hitter off the tee. Guess I was wrong. Especially in this day and age. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

9 minutes ago, Preeway said:

That’s funny because I’ve never considered 250-260 as a long hitter off the tee. Guess I was wrong. Especially in this day and age. 

I think it is all relative. If we were 18, then it would be short. However, as amateurs in our 50’s and 60’s it’s pretty long!

38 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Absolutely!  I still shot 1 under on the 9 but didn't want to go to the back and focus on swing.  I trusted my coach and took it back to the range to work on the swing. 

I think so much of hitting single digits is between the ears but it's also the discipline of course management.  

Well done!!

10 minutes ago, Javs said:

I think it is all relative. If we were 18, then it would be short. However, as amateurs in our 50’s and 60’s it’s pretty long!

Very true. The handful of scratch players in my men’s league all drive the ball 280+. Ages early 30s to mid 40s. 

51 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

100% agree. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

9 hours ago, Javs said:

Javs, thanks for sharing. Good points raised by all. Here are my 2 cents with 2 options.

Option 1.

1.  With respect to lessons, find a good golf coach/teacher that you can relate to. Be open to suggestions and practice those changes between lessons. Take putting and short game lessons. Make sure your fundamentals (grip, setup, alignment and stance) are solid. Start slow with slow half speed swings. 

2.  Go to a reputable fitter and invest in fitted equipment. Don’t forget to get fitted for your wedges (scoring clubs) as well as putter (35-40% of your strokes). You don’t have to buy everything at once. 

3.  Dedicated Practice (have a plan) and practice some more. Don’t play all the time. Build regular practice into your schedule. Concentrate on shots from 100 yards and in as that accounts for 65-70% of your shots. You can save yourself a bucket load of strokes by deploying a good short game by hitting the ball to within 5 to 6’ from the hole and then making 1 putt. Develop a wedge matrix where you know how far a half swing, 3/4 and full swing go. Practice your putting and develop a feel how far a 10’ goes vs a 20 or 30 footer. 

4.  Course management. Work from the green back and calculate which distances you are more comfortable hitting as an approach shot. E.g 75 or 100, 125 yard full swing club vs a 42 yard shot. If you don’t hit the fairway with your drive, Don’t go for the hero shot, rather hit the shot you can repeat 8 times out of ten. I.e. Play for the bogey and avoid the double, triple or worse. 

5.  Invest in Arccos or Shotscope - the data provided is invaluable as you will reliably know how far you hit each of your clubs and where you are losing strokes. An alternative is to spend an hour of time indoors using Trackman or GCQuad and hit 10 shots with each club and email the report to yourself. Eliminate the outliers and you will have a good idea of your carry and total distances for each club. 

6.  Use the winter (for us northern folks) to set goals and practice and work on your swing

Option 2 - don’t take lessons, learn from your buddies, buy what’s on sale, don’t practice and then be surprised your game hasn’t improved (in 30 or so years of playing).  

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

1 minute ago, Cfhandyman said:

Javs, thanks for sharing. Good points raised by all. Here are my 2 cents with 2 options.

Option 1.

1.  With respect to lessons, find a good golf coach/teacher that you can relate to. Be open to suggestions and practice those changes between lessons. Take putting and short game lessons. Make sure your fundamentals (grip, setup, alignment and stance) are solid. Start slow with slow half speed swings. 

2.  Go to a reputable fitter and invest in fitted equipment. Don’t forget to get fitted for your wedges (scoring clubs) as well as putter (35-40% of your strokes). You don’t have to buy everything at once. 

3.  Dedicated Practice (have a plan) and practice some more. Don’t play all the time. Build regular practice into your schedule. Concentrate on shots from 100 yards and in as that accounts for 65-70% of your shots. You can save yourself a bucket load of strokes by deploying a good short game by hitting the ball to within 5 to 6’ from the hole and then making 1 putt. Develop a wedge matrix where you know how far a half swing, 3/4 and full swing go. Practice your putting and develop a feel how far a 10’ goes vs a 20 or 30 footer. 

4.  Course management. Work from the green back and calculate which distances you are more comfortable hitting as an approach shot. E.g 75 or 100, 125 yard full swing club vs a 42 yard shot. If you don’t hit the fairway with your drive, Don’t go for the hero shot, rather hit the shot you can repeat 8 times out of ten. I.e. Play for the bogey and avoid the double, triple or worse. 

5.  Invest in Arccos or Shotscope - the data provided is invaluable as you will reliably know how far you hit each of your clubs and where you are losing strokes. An alternative is to spend an hour of time indoors using Trackman or GCQuad and hit 10 shots with each club and email the report to yourself. Eliminate the outliers and you will have a good idea of your carry and total distances for each club. 

6.  Use the winter (for us northern folks) to set goals and practice and work on your swing

Option 2 - don’t take lessons, learn from your buddies, buy what’s on sale, don’t practice and then be surprised your game hasn’t improved (in 30 or so years of playing).  

Great stuff!

3 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

Option 1.

Great points!

7 hours ago, Javs said:

I fully agree with you. Two ways to score: hit a lot of greens or have a stellar short game. Since everyone will miss greens having the short game skills is most important.

From everything I've read, the "difference" between two different levels of golfers is generally about 2/3 full-swing game, and about 1/3 short game and putting.  Everything is important, and different players will have different needs, but the biggest contributor to overall improvement for most people is improved full swing performance.

Strokes gained stuff can illustrate this a little  Go find a SG putting app,, easily done online, and run a few rounds through it.  All you'll need is the length of your first putt, and the number of putts on that hole.  Use the "tour pro" standards, so you're comparing yourself to someone who's nominally a +5 or +6 handicap.  I bet most 15-hndicappers (20 strokes or so behind the "tour pro" level) will end up losing 5 or 6 strokes putting.  That means he's losing 15 MORE strokes in the other stuff, driving, irons, short game.  

But its late for me, I'll read the articles and comment on those tomorrow.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Speed training can be a detriment to those with bad swings and those who fix their swing will gain speed through that alone. Speed training with a bad swing ends up causing more problems than it helps because it creates bad movement patterns on top of already bad movement patterns. Good to great coaches have touched on this and one of the members here was told by their coach to stop speed training because his swing regressed

Sure, there are exceptions to the general notion that most would benefit from speed training. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Since these were written by “younger” people, they missed a key component to keeping a single digit handicap. That’s health. Age and injuries are major hurdles, at least for me. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

16 minutes ago, RoverRick said:

Since these were written by “younger” people, they missed a key component to keeping a single digit handicap. That’s health. Age and injuries are major hurdles, at least for me. 

I have to agree with you there sir! Well said!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft 

Woods: Ping 425 Max 3-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Hybrid: PXG 0317 17*-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Irons: New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

15 minutes ago, Erin B said:

I have to agree with you there sir! Well said!

I think I aged from 30 to 60 in the last 5 years.  I played great today and have used ice and heat and elevation and ointment and went to bed early because of it. But the good news is, I went from 210 off the tee to a 254 average. I can’t walk to the bathroom now, but I was stripping the ball. 

I’ll be better tomorrow and will remember to take anti inflammatories before play. At 60, ibuprofen is a performance enhancing drug. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Check out "Not A Scratch Golfer" on YouTube. He's got years of videos and great advice on how to shoot in the 70's and 80's with what he calls a bad swing. His money is made within 100 yards and good course management.

SIM2 MAX D w/Diamana S 60

SIM2 MAX5 Wood FW S-6

SIM MAX 3&4 hybrids w/Ventus Blue FW-7

Ping i230 5-PW w/DG 105g

TaylorMade MG3 50/54/58 wedges w/DG S200

Cleveland HB SOFT 4 putter

1 hour ago, RoverRick said:

I think I aged from 30 to 60 in the last 5 years.  I played great today and have used ice and heat and elevation and ointment and went to bed early because of it. But the good news is, I went from 210 off the tee to a 254 average. I can’t walk to the bathroom now, but I was stripping the ball. 

I’ll be better tomorrow and will remember to take anti inflammatories before play. At 60, ibuprofen is a performance enhancing drug. 

I’m 50+ and sit in a hot tub, use lidocaine patches, Motrin, anti inflammatory rubs, muscle relaxers, and still hurt after a round. I’m with you on ibuprofen! Motrin 800 mg was given to me in the military like candy. The VA still gives it to me. 

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

4 hours ago, Erin B said:

I’m 50+ and sit in a hot tub, use lidocaine patches, Motrin, anti inflammatory rubs, muscle relaxers, and still hurt after a round. I’m with you on ibuprofen! Motrin 800 mg was given to me in the military like candy. The VA still gives it to me. 

I busted out laughing reading your thread! In the Marine Corps, it did not matter if you had a hang nail or missing a limb, Motrin was what you were going to get from Navy docs and Corpsman... and like you said, they handed it out like candy. I had just received double knee surgery and my XO, along with some other buddy SNCOs and LTs came to see me. XO asked,  "so, how's the pain? They giving you some good pain meds?" "Yes sir, Motrin 800mg," I said. What followed was intense laughter and many expletive words 😆 🤣

Willie T (Gospel.n.Golf)

Callaway Epic Max LS Driver 

TaylorMade Stealth 3HL Wood 16.5°

Callaway Super Hybrid 20°

Callaway Epic 4h/5h Super Hybrids

Callaway Epic E19 (6-AW) Forged Irons

Callaway Jaws Raw 54° Wedge

Bettinardi HLX3.0 58° Wedge

Evnroll ER7v Mallet Putter

1 hour ago, GospelnGolf said:

I busted out laughing reading your thread! In the Marine Corps, it did not matter if you had a hang nail or missing a limb, Motrin was what you were going to get from Navy docs and Corpsman... and like you said, they handed it out like candy. I had just received double knee surgery and my XO, along with some other buddy SNCOs and LTs came to see me. XO asked,  "so, how's the pain? They giving you some good pain meds?" "Yes sir, Motrin 800mg," I said. What followed was intense laughter and many expletive words 😆 🤣

Motrin! It does a body good!

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

8 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Sure, there are exceptions to the general notion that most would benefit from speed training. 

Most people have an inefficient swing. When you put speed training on top of that it makes the bad swing worse.

Does the person get faster, sure just like weight training, even with some bad technique one can get stronger, but it doesn’t improve their technique and it can create more inefficiency in the movement.

With the golf swing despite the added speed it doesn’t translate to the course because you have to react to the where the club it at and the brain is going to get the body to slow down to let the necessary parts catch up and you end up with no speed gains on the course.

now take that same inefficient swing and work on improving pressure shifts, rotation and using the ground and one will easily pick up 5-10mph. 

Instructors get students extra speed just by improving their swing. I’ve read Monte talk about students he has going from 80mph swings with driver to 100 or more, 90 mph guys reaching over 100. Adding speed to a bad swing is a recipe to have bigger misses or no change at all for on course play

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

38 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Most people have an inefficient swing. When you put speed training on top of that it makes the bad swing worse.

Does the person get faster, sure just like weight training, even with some bad technique one can get stronger, but it doesn’t improve their technique and it can create more inefficiency in the movement.

With the golf swing despite the added speed it doesn’t translate to the course because you have to react to the where the club it at and the brain is going to get the body to slow down to let the necessary parts catch up and you end up with no speed gains on the course.

now take that same inefficient swing and work on improving pressure shifts, rotation and using the ground and one will easily pick up 5-10mph. 

Instructors get students extra speed just by improving their swing. I’ve read Monte talk about students he has going from 80mph swings with driver to 100 or more, 90 mph guys reaching over 100. Adding speed to a bad swing is a recipe to have bigger misses or no change at all for on course play

That’s not consistent with Sasho McKenzie’s findings, wherein speed training golfers often find improved technique as they learn how to more efficiently create speed in their swing.

Do you have experience in speed training yourself?

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

48 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

That’s not consistent with Sasho McKenzie’s findings, wherein speed training golfers often find improved technique as they learn how to more efficiently create speed in their swing.

This isn't surprising to me at all, the guy who makes his money by teaching golf swing says that golf swing is more important than speed training, the guy who makes his money from speed training says the opposite.  I think each one is correct at times, depending on the individual player.  My personal experience, as a semi-competent and experienced swinger, my swing DID seem to become more efficient through Stack sessions, and I find I'm hitting it straighter on the course.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This isn't surprising to me at all, the guy who makes his money by teaching golf swing says that golf swing is more important than speed training, the guy who makes his money from speed training says the opposite.  I think each one is correct at times, depending on the individual player.  My personal experience, as a semi-competent and experienced swinger, my swing DID seem to become more efficient through Stack sessions, and I find I'm hitting it straighter on the course.

Tend to agree, although I would offer the Stack is far more a “side hustle” than how Sasho makes his money.  He’s been a biomechanics professor and tour consultant (nicknamed “The Savant of Speed”) for far longer than he’s been selling a speed training implement.

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

I do and I also have experience as a personal trainer and have spent the last 4 years learning about the golf swing and how to teach. I have two people I’ve worked with in person on their swing. One already had a good swing and shoots in the low-mid 70s. He wanted to improve his driving so we spent some time making small adjustments to setup and takeaway. 

The other was the typical high handicap who also never played any racquet or stick sports. He went from never breaking 100 to breaking 90 regularly and a few rounds in the 80s on tough courses.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Tend to agree, although I would offer the Stack is far more a “side hustle” than how Sasho makes his money.  He’s been a biomechanics professor and tour consultant (nicknamed “The Savant of Speed”) for far longer than he’s been selling a speed training implement.

I'm sure you're correct, but his primary focus overall is speed.  Monte's focus is on swing mechanics.  Dave Pelz focused on short game, and did his best to convince everyone that short game was most important.  We all see things through our own blinders.

Back to the two articles quoted, I found the second one pretty good.  Notice that the very first thing mentioned was coming to grips with the longest clubs.  Number 1, improve ballstriking!

In the first article, most of it was good, if a bit generic.  However, this bit I have a problem with:

If you play off 12 and you class yourself an average putter, you have a clear route to single figures. Become a good putter, take three fewer putts per round and you will play off nine. That sounds too good to be true, but it’s really quite doable.

That's just not accurate.  Look at this from ShotScope/MGS, https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/shot-scope-case-study/.  The difference between a 5 handicap and a 10 is ONE putt per round, and that's about the largest difference for any 5-stroke handicap difference.  Maybe the route to significantly lower scores should be something besides putting.

If you spend as much time as possible practising putting, doing drills from three to five feet, maybe even having a putting lesson, you can knock shots off your score.

Consider, if you spend as much time as possible on putting, does that leave any time for full swing work?  I think this is poor advice, the bulk of a player's practice should be on full swing work, tee to near-the-green work.  And of course this is a generality, the best thing to do is to evaluate your weakest skills and concentrate on them first, but in general its full-swing improvements that will produce the largest score changes.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

24 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Monte is also a world long drive champion, a former tour pro with time on what is now the kft, an instructor that the likes of Chris como invite to present with him at the pga show, companies like hack motion invite to do seminars.

Using the ground properly is how one gain speed. It’s why guys smaller guys on tour have the ability ti hit it 300 yards. 

he doesn’t knock speed training, he says it has its time and place,  it it’s not for those who have inefficient swings. And as mentioned one of the members here was told by his coach to stop speed training because it was causing regression in his swing work. That member had reported speed gains

9 hours ago, RoverRick said:

AMEN to the pain management!!

My swing changes week to week depending on the physical challenge.  The most common due to back issues limiting turn is a trail foot slide and spin that makes me look like Scheffler and Players love child!

The other one showing up this year is left shoulder & arm pain that makes a 3/4 swing the max.

I just play the swing of the day and aim left to allow for the ugly ball flight to get back on target.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Coming in late here so I apologize if this has been mentioned.  Keep your stats over several rounds so you can get a basis of what needs to be worked on.  Fairways hit, greens hit, # of putts.  You can dive off more in depth on this if you want to as far as shots inside 100 yards, 150 yards, etc.  Anyway, whatever or however you do it, it will give you a base.  I do it for all my rounds so I know where my weakness is at.  The findings can be crazy sometimes.  You may feel like you putted well but you only hit 1/3 of your greens so you were chipping alot.  Or you may feel you putted terrible but find out you hit 16/18 greens.  Gives a perspective.  Then you can work on your weaknesses.  I see so many people on here talk about how bad they are at putting.  I want to ask them...how much do you practice putting.  If you spent as much time practicing putting as hitting balls, I am sure your putting would improve.  It's not glamorous.  Everyone wants to hit it a long way and pull off the hero shot.  But being able to make a 10' for par after hitting a bad tee shot or approach shot or chip, is so satisfying.  Game changer.  And frustrates the crap out of your competitors or golf buddies.

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GospelnGolf said:

Your post was funny and reminded me of the old vitamin M that the Navy Docs give out daily. Like you said, it could be a cold or a bullet wound and they are giving you Motrin. Ha ha

Edited by Javs

1 hour ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

I agree with you. Speed training will help most people. I believe it promotes lighter grip, the body working together and more efficient movement to release the club. All things many people can benefit from having more in their swing. It’s not coming out of your shoes, but efficient coordinated movement when executed correctly. Balanced fluid motion is a great thing!