Article on J.Day and Masters apology

I love you guys and read or listen to most of what you do, that said I think you're off base on your expectations of Augusta RE apparel.  Think about it, they regulate no running, no cell phones, there are many things that players and caddies must adhere to that they don't at other tournys. Frankly I'm happy they keep their level of control, Wimbledon just started allowing (tasteful) colors in their championship for pete's sake. And yes, there are many logos and 'advertising' on players clothes, shoes hats etc., I don't think they were saying no Malbon, just  no gross wearable billboards please. ?! So the question then is what is the sizing standard, is it subjective, or will they institute a wearables grid on sizing, certainly certain words or phrases would be disallowed as well....I think Augusta remains in control as they have been, and we won't see the Masters become a Phoenix S.....t Sh....w  as they won't allow it. Perhaps Malbon or Day could have asked first and said hey, this ok ? or maybe they knew and went for the free publicity.... what say y'all...

It's an opinion piece and I have to say I think players should be able to wear what they like or are sponsored to. Did you see what Viktor was wearing? It was bad and who knows what terrible fits they had planned for the weekend had he made it.

Certain things like phones, running and those I get as that's for the patrons. The dress codes of golf I think need to be relaxed but we have a full thread in that already.

Augusta has their traditions - great - deciding what the golfers wear isn't one.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I am surprised we haven't seen a brand like Ralph Lauren with a large branding across some apparel. I have a feeling that if this was a brand with previous golf exposure it might be a non-issue.

While the vest and the baggy pants aren't my style, I definitely appreciate a lot of Malbon designs. I've become pretty fond of the Malbon mascot.

image.png.b7ed5e2b50274d5f7977ee1e1694643d.png

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

The Masters “rules” are all about protecting their brand - you can’t even take a bottle of water onsite unless you can rip the label off or it has the official Masters logo. This is nothing new for the last 88 years. The white painter suits and green hats on the caddies are part of the tradition but corporate sponsorships are what’s paying the bills so I think there has to be some middle ground beside allowing the players to put a maximum size logo on their chests and collars. 

Now playing in shorts on the PGA should be the next discussion - the Aussies have figured it out and their game is not falling apart….. just saying

Ping G425 LST Driver

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping G425 19deg Hybrid

Ping G430 irons 5-P, 45, 50

Taylormade MG3 wedges 54, 58

Ping Ketch Putter 34”

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

It's an opinion piece and I have to say I think players should be able to wear what they like or are sponsored to. Did you see what Viktor was wearing? It was bad and who knows what terrible fits they had planned for the weekend had he made it.

Certain things like phones, running and those I get as that's for the patrons. The dress codes of golf I think need to be relaxed but we have a full thread in that already.

Augusta has their traditions - great - deciding what the golfers wear isn't one.

JL has put viktor in some heinous outfits lol. The vest was imo hideous but it’s ridiculous to have him remove what is golf attire and what his sponsor is paying for.   I remember people also lost their minds the year JT wore joggers and a hoodie. 

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos 
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

4 hours ago, mcgolfme said:

I love you guys and read or listen to most of what you do, that said I think you're off base on your expectations of Augusta RE apparel.  Think about it, they regulate no running, no cell phones, there are many things that players and caddies must adhere to that they don't at other tournys. Frankly I'm happy they keep their level of control, Wimbledon just started allowing (tasteful) colors in their championship for pete's sake. And yes, there are many logos and 'advertising' on players clothes, shoes hats etc., I don't think they were saying no Malbon, just  no gross wearable billboards please. ?! So the question then is what is the sizing standard, is it subjective, or will they institute a wearables grid on sizing, certainly certain words or phrases would be disallowed as well....I think Augusta remains in control as they have been, and we won't see the Masters become a Phoenix S.....t Sh....w  as they won't allow it. Perhaps Malbon or Day could have asked first and said hey, this ok ? or maybe they knew and went for the free publicity.... what say y'all...

Because the hippies and anti dress code crowd will be after you.

i agree with you. The piece wasn’t great and missed the point of what the issues was. But it’s not the only opinion piece on the main page that has issues, but I digress.

I like what Augusta does along with Wimbledon. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Regardless of who is paying the bills from either side,  Augusta has a standard in and of its own. I don't see that changing.

Was it a publicity stunt to low key raise people's brows and blood pressure? Possibly.

Did it affect me ?  Nope! He probably got paid bonus bucks to wear it.

It is now marked through the world of golf, and have no doubt will become a hot market item for them.

What I do know is if you were paying to play there, I think they would have stopped you at your vehicle and simply said that is not acceptable attire for here and ask you to remove it.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Worst Masters advertising faux pas? I'll hang up and listen!😄

Screenshot2024-04-18at8_13_54AM.png.8038eb2fd1a21777467d7108387d7fd7.png

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

17 hours ago, jayyarr said:

JL has put viktor in some heinous outfits lol. The vest was imo hideous but it’s ridiculous to have him remove what is golf attire and what his sponsor is paying for.   I remember people also lost their minds the year JT wore joggers and a hoodie. 

We all have our views on fashion.  For instance, I can’t for the life of me get used to the miniature suits that are popular for men now.  I’m sure many of the younger Spies think they are great.  I’m not a fan of joggers with dress style golf shoes.  When worn with sneaker style golf shoes I’m ok with them.  I could go on and on, but the bottom line is fashion is just that—what’s popular today will look ridiculous tomorrow.  As far as Augusta National goes, it’s their tournament, they get to set the rules.  I’m old fashioned enough that I would love to see a successful pro play without endorsements and no logos.  

Edited by Hook DeLoft

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

22 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

I am surprised we haven't seen a brand like Ralph Lauren with a large branding across some apparel. I have a feeling that if this was a brand with previous golf exposure it might be a non-issue.

While the vest and the baggy pants aren't my style, I definitely appreciate a lot of Malbon designs. I've become pretty fond of the Malbon mascot.

I do remember RL Polo using a giant polo pony on garments back when Tom Watson, Davis Love, Webb Simpson, Morgan Pressel and Luke Donald were paid to wear them.  I think some were on the front and some were on the back.  Large as they were, the garments were still somewhat tasteful.

I don't think that the PGA Tour has anything to do with the operation of The Masters, so dress codes (and other codes) are strictly determined by ANGC.  If they want caddies to wear coveralls, patrons to behave a certain way, players not look like billboards, tickets to be limited, their field to be smaller or whatever, they can do it.  Since it is an invitational, invitees can opt not to play.  Many years, Lee Trevino elected not to play because he felt the course did not suit his game.  He said later that he felt that he made a mistake by not playing in the ones he skipped.  

I think that The Masters rules/policies/attitudes have made it one of the best events in golf.  They have also made changes to those rules/policies and attitudes when necessary. Still, many players list it as The Major they'd most like to win.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

As a member of a profession, my professional legislative body has the authority to reprimand me should I do anything that reflects poorly on my profession.

These players all identify as "Golf Professionals" and as such their dress, deportment, actions and attitude should reflect it. When someone identifies as a "professional", we as a society put them one step above the average person. 

Taylormade SIM MAX 12* Driver

Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawkeye 3, 5 and 7 woods

Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 7 wood

Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal, High Launch irons, 6-PW, GW

Taylormade Milled Grind SW, 54*

Cleveland RTX-3, 60* LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6 Centre Shaft Putter

Jason Day's outfit at the Masters certainly caught the eye with its unique style and flair. It's refreshing to see golfers experimenting with their attire while still maintaining a sense of professionalism on the course. Day's bold choice serves as a reminder that golf fashion can be both functional and fashionable.

It's worth noting that throughout golf's history, there have been numerous iconic outfits and color combinations that have left a lasting impression. From Payne Stewart's classic knickers to Rickie Fowler's vibrant ensembles, golfers have always used fashion as a means of self-expression. Day's outfit is simply the latest example of this tradition, reminding us that golf fashion has always been as diverse and intriguing as the game itself.

IMG_2938.jpeg

Driver: Mizuno Stz

Fairway: Titliest 9115 3 Wood

Irons: Callaway Legacy Black 4-PW

Wedges: Vokeys

Putter: Phantom 5.5

Ball: ProV or Chrome Tour X