Garmin S70 Health and Tracking - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below.
@revkev - Main Post 

@cburins - Main Post 

@Corentin Vadillo - Main Post 

@NubianRugby - Main Post

Posted (edited)

What a day! I wanted to play nine holes this afternoon after church because I’m dying to start testing the golf gps component of this watch and I hadn’t gen able to get on the course in a week.

Church this morning was extremely demanding though. First the sermon was the longest one I’ve ever preached. In my tradition 15 minutes is about the standard length and I try to stay under that. Every so often I hit 20 - 31 at the first service and 28 at the second for me today - honestly I wanted to see if could do it and keep people’s attention - just once - I think I did but I’m not doing it again- it’s exhausting and tough on the voice  

Also we had issues with our projecting equipment at the contemporary service - that’s why the sermon was longer - I actually referenced my test and the watch by telling them my stress level still wasn’t high despite what was going on - it got a laugh.

After church I had a couple tell he they are getting married - that’s awesome, really like them - she’s  architect - he played hockey at Harvard - pretty cool couple. 

Then my most recent wedding - from early March wanted to visit with me because they are having some issues - that was a lot longer than the sermon but nothing insurmountable - really normal first year of marriage stuff - I like that couple a lot also, they will be fine - my stress level when they left was high btw. 

Got home, had lunch, chang d and got to the course at 330, no issues getting out, hit the range at 340 with a 4 PM tee time and after 29 minutes the skies opened.  Looked at the radar - no rain on it - rain stopped quickly and tee’d off - wind had completely shifted and was coming hard at me. Got to the second tee and the skies were dark to the north, wind was picking up in my face.  
By the time I got off the 3rd green it was pouring - hid in a grove of trees - made a dash for it completely soaked.

Here’s the message on my watch when I got home:

IMG_0487.jpeg.4d867c0195f42e1df2ae35406bd36048.jpegIt told me that I need an 8 hour recovery time - I’m glad it identified church this morning as a part of the high level of activity - very impressed. 

Edited by revkev

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Garmin S70 Health and Tracking - 2024 Forum Review
Posted (edited)

RBC Canadian Open - Garmin S70 Review

This past weekend I was volunteering at the Canadian open for Caddy Services! I was organizing caddy bibs based off tee times, deliver batches of bibs to the first tee and collecting the bibs on 18. 

2024-06-01RBCCanadianOpen-1131.jpg.785ce4dc3f968a93b7aa0800d492f540.jpg

When I first started organizing, I opened the player patches box to these guys. 

C27D84B1-A7B1-4398-868F-8EC2878850ED.JPEG.567bef2e096086dcf2d097a4285efb86.JPEG

When I had a break I would try my best to slip out to the course and get yardages through the Garmin S70. It was tricky to find the exact hole they were on as the Garmin watch wasn't set to the 18 they were playing, but when I found the hole it was amazing to add another layer to see how far they hit and how long their approach shots were. 

IMG_4108.jpg.3b59539a040871af18d9251afc360a07.jpg

On this hole Rory hit his drive about 310 on a downhill par 4 and left himself 90-100 yards uphill to the pin. As you can see the little arrows beside the numbers indicating if its playing down or up to those yardages - The Garmins 'Plays like feature'. There's a tournament mode on the Garmin S70 that takes those away, but for this instance I could use it as I wasn't playing in the tournament. 

IMG_4109.jpg.dd0660d56ce4ebc0eaf76b1b4d5f6144.jpg

I was upset I couldn't find the rink hole on the Garmin, but the atmosphere there was amazing. Yesterday I watched Ben Silverman almost get a hole in one! For people not familiar with the rink hole it's basically the Canadian version of hole 16 at the WM Phoenix Open. Every Canadian player was welcomed with the crowd singing the Canadian National Anthem. 

IMG_4095.jpg.dd85e8508e22dde1da0339badc72b116.jpg

Lastly, C.T Pan's caddy Mike Cowan (Fluff) took a fall and was unable to continue. A spectator hopped on the bag, then eventually someone from my caddy services committee got to get on the Bag for Pan. If only I had some experience caddying it could've been me! Maybe the Garmin would've come in handy on tournament mode. 

Anyways, I had an amazing weekend meeting all the players and caddies! Having access to the Garmin made my experience watching golf amazing as it added that extra insight I usually wouldn't get. 

I managed to slip out for a round on Saturday and will be posting about it soon, just need to gather all my photos and prepare my review. 

Edited by cburins

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M grind)

Putter: Versa Odyssey Jailbird - Superstroke Pistol 1.0

Ball: Taylormade Distance+

IMG_0509.jpeg.caf2ee1584f975d7c1de3d476e46246b.jpegWore my watch to bed last night for the first time last night. This is a category that measures sleep quality. It needs lots more data to be accurate so I will try a number of nights. Don’t really want to make a habit of it though.

By the way Amazon delivered a package at 4:09z How do I know?  

IMG_0359.jpeg.d2059a031e6020ee62449edb36162b5b.jpegSomeonevelse had their sleep disturbed - he was not happy. 

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Posted (edited)

So far this has been more of a health thing than a golf thing for me or learning what impacts my body and how. I was supposed to play today but my league partner got sick.  

So I practiced for two hours - I got the time to recover message before I finished - that’s twice when I worked and got that message before I was done / first with a nine hour round and today - and work today was not arduous - at all. 

I decided to have a cigar on the pitch this evening.

IMG_0510.jpeg.80ee05ec492fee872e024326748b37c6.jpeg

Pulse ox is 95, and heart rate 75 so pretty good - but my body battery is 14 - it was 21 when I left the driving range. So a cigar is not the best for recovery - no surprise there.

Edited by revkev

Gable Oaks - Garmin S70 Review (+2)

A64B460F-7A80-4186-BB0F-6E807160C6CF.JPEG.b3c226550ab9c2f17ffac4f28d82708d.JPEG

First off, I didn’t know going into this round that this was a shorter/practice course. It was close to where I was staying for the RBC Canadian Open.

This is my lowest round I have ever shot.

I had a Body Battery score of 33. I just finished up my shift volunteering at the Canadian Open and was pretty tired. After 9 holes, my Body Battery dropped to 17 and then after the round I was at 13.

B58EC2EC-7022-4486-AA40-9E9EC40B43AD.JPEG.2ae7566ce68a8bae93ae9f33b87afdd7.JPEG

This had to have been my best ball striking day to date… I maybe had 3 bad shots.

1. Tee shot on hole 2 was a shank and left me a lot of work, leading me to a double bogey.

2. Approach shot on 7 got a bad bounce and lead me to dropping. Went up and down for bogey.

3. Lastly, my tee shot on 18 went way right as I got aggressive at the thought of eagle for an even round. I’ll get into the approach shot play-by-play later in the review, as the Garmin was a huge help on turning this hole around.

IMG_4086.jpg.b8c9c526b3ef3a8c949f995bf9e44fc4.jpg

For this round I didn’t have high expectations, I was just excited to golf. I think because of that I was very relaxed and didn’t have the mental energy to overthink.

The putter was hot right off the start as I rolled in some good birdie putts and lots of par saves. The last hole is where I got aggressive. Was sitting at +2 for the day and the last hole was a short par 5. I wanted to get my round to even as I have never come close to achieving that. Driver was pulled out of the bag for the first time of the day - Not the best move. I duck hooked my shot to the fairway to the right of me. Getting to my shot I was left with a 200yd approach to the pin over an elevated green giving me no sight of the hole. The Garmin stepped up and offered the ‘PinPointer Feature’. The screen turns into a compass directing you to the hole!

IMG_4074.jpg.29ca5db81503f10f2ba3ea1e7f3fa4a3.jpg

I hit a baby cut with my 5 iron leaving myself with an eagle chip! Unfortunately my chip shot wasn’t close and I two-putt for par. Without the PinPoint Feature I think this hole could’ve ended really ugly and to save par from where I was wasn’t ideal. Thank you Garmin!

IMG_4076.jpg.7a9fdc1548af1266dec5bb3add11c680.jpg

While playing I think I had a difference type of confidence as the Garmin offers the ‘Plays Like’ Feature. The little arrows beside the distances notify you that your shot is playing up or down to those yardages. There was no guessing on yardages and I could just be confident in my shots. No “is this the right club?”

IMG_4072.jpg.8f9405039064fdc4487431a6f2f83368.jpg

Overall, my experience with the Garmin S70 was extremely helpful. No second guessing when it came to yardages and the PinPoint feature definitely saved that hole from disaster. I can’t wait to play more rounds and discover new features!

WITB:

Posted (edited)

IMG_0520.jpeg.27a223066cb6895ad150d02133c8d9e9.jpegEncountered a sensor issue the last two days. Lost the sensor off my 9 iron hitting balls into the net yesterday. Had to search for a while in the backyard to find it. I thought, okay I did hit a fat shot off the mat - I’m working on some fairly significant swing tweaks. 

Today however was a totally different story - soft turf at the range and lots of flush contact, a few a bit thin but no fat shots with the 9 iron. I set it aside and noticed the sensor was missing - fortunately it was close by my hitting station. 

IMG_0519.jpeg.7ac8e5805f2d412559c8d5090c08a41b.jpegIt is very hot and humid.  However I’ve not had this issue with the other tracking systems that I’ve used. There is nothing unusual about my grips - golf pride tour velvets or Winn Dry tacs -

BTW none of the mess where my sensor landed was mine. I had two nice stripes when I was done. 

IMG_0521.jpeg.cd103262e0150f542dcc3bc1291701df.jpegThe off colored one pointing left was my 9,8, 7 iron and the smaller one beside pointing right a bit were my 50 and 54. I was aiming at the flag to the left with the 8 and 9 and the tree behind it with the 7 iron - there was a flag two the right that I was aiming at with the wedges. 

Edited by revkev

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, revkev said:

IMG_0520.jpeg.27a223066cb6895ad150d02133c8d9e9.jpegEncountered a sensor issue the last two days. Lost the sensor off my 9 iron hitting balls into the net yesterday. Had to search for a while in the backyard to find it. I thought, okay I did hit a fat shot off the mat - I’m working on some fairly significant swing tweaks. 

Today however was a totally different story - soft turf at the range and lots of flush contact, a few a bit thin but no fat shots with the 9 iron. I set it aside and noticed the sensor was missing - fortunately it was close by my hitting station. 

IMG_0519.jpeg.7ac8e5805f2d412559c8d5090c08a41b.jpegIt is very hot and humid.  However I’ve not had this issue with the other tracking systems that I’ve used. There is nothing unusual about my grips - golf pride tour velvets or Winn Dry tacs -

BTW none of the mess where my sensor landed was mine. I had two nice stripes when I was done. 

IMG_0521.jpeg.cd103262e0150f542dcc3bc1291701df.jpegThe off colored one pointing left was my 9,8, 7 iron and the smaller one beside pointing right a bit were my 50 and 54. I was aiming at the flag to the left with the 8 and 9 and the tree behind it with the 7 iron - there was a flag two the right that I was aiming at with the wedges. 

Pretty annoying situation @revkev and unfortunately you are not alone… 😤

We have rain here in Quebec City for 2 days now so I had to cancel my tee time this morning but I decided to go to my winter indoor golf club to play 18-holes on Trackman. 

If my golf was pretty ok, I almost lost the CT10 sensors on my 8i, 7i and Driver. I had to screw them back in between each shot...🤦🏻

At the time I didn't pay too much attention but reading your post, I tell myself that they could have fallen without realizing it... I’m playing tomorrow morning 6am sharp, I’ll be careful. 

BTW, I used to play with Arccos sensors, I already had to tighten them sometimes but nothing similar as today with the CT10.

To be continued… 🔎 

Edited by CorentinV

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member 🇨🇦
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊 Golfing Stats: Handicap 18 | Best Round 85 | Trackman Handicap 6.2
⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC) 
🎒 WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9º - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft 
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft 
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft 
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black 
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1 
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro 

🎓 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)
🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! 🎯

8 hours ago, CorentinV said:

Pretty annoying situation @revkev and unfortunately you are not alone… 😤

We have rain here in Quebec City for 2 days now so I had to cancel my tee time this morning but I decided to go to my winter indoor golf club to play 18-holes on Trackman. 

If my golf was pretty ok, I almost lost the CT10 sensors on my 8i, 7i and Driver. I had to screw them back in between each shot...🤦🏻

At the time I didn't pay too much attention but reading your post, I tell myself that they could have fallen without realizing it... I’m playing tomorrow morning 6am sharp, I’ll be careful. 

BTW, I used to play with Arccos sensors, I already had to tighten them sometimes but nothing similar as today with the CT10.

To be continued… 🔎 

This is going to be something for all of us to watch!  I hope you play well today. I have a 237 - looking forward to it 

So played today at my club - no more comments on the sensors for now - will save to the end and really at this point wish they weren’t a part of this test - but maybe it’s good that they are. 😞

In regards to the first impression of the watch on the course - much better at being accurate with yardages from my firmer watch. As a reminder my course has lots of doglegs and odd angled greens - my former watch was often off by 6 or 7 yards on approach shots - the Garmin was within a yard - simply a matter of where the pin was cut - that’s a huge difference.

Also so much easier to get yardages to hazards with touch screen than having to figure out which button to press, when.

Now if it could just get me to hit driver better -number 1 was sobering - Hit my block fade into stiff breeze all of 178 and my 9 wood, albeit from a different angle 176. Then on 4 I hit my drive 189 (hit a tree) and my 5 wood 210. 

It’s really nice to have that distance of last shot clearly displayed on the watch. 

Dentonia Park - Garmin S70 Review (+8)

IMG_4260.jpg.b041924fb65e1cba19504365d3b93c27.jpg

Hey Spys, here’s another Garmin review! I was able to get an early morning round in before work - what a great way to start the day! Dentonia Park is the closest course to Downtown Toronto and happens to be a par 3 course, great for short game training and also great for me to get used to the Garmin products.

IMG_3991.jpg.6e634ed914884a23cb14c79bbe23be58.jpg

My body battery before the round was 75 and after the round it dropped to 58. I had a poor sleep before the round and the stress of driving downtown, picking up my buddy and scrambling to get to the course caused some slight stress.

B161D684-F3F1-42B9-8E44-D39E785CCC23.JPEG.c884d7b9de1d7af1bac0f45d1f8053f6.JPEG

Ive never played here before, but being a par 3 course and with the help of the S70, I wasn’t concerned. First hole I had a bad tee shot, fluffed my chip shot then holed out my next chip for par! I was playing solid but the greens had some sort of fertilizer on them that made it quite difficult to putt, which lead to many 3 putts and bogeys. Happy with a double-bogey free round though! Hole 8 was the closest I’ve ever been to a hole in one. I missed the hole by a foot. Left me with a 3 foot birdie putt!

IMG_3992.jpg.85ea272a8f0c1e4fd2f418f660bba381.jpg

(hopefully you can see the ball mark on the right side, which I fixed after taking a pic)

The CT10 Sensors are great for tracking your shots and I love that the Garmin App showcases your round. It’s almost like viewing your highlight (or disaster) reel. The insight that the Garmin sensors provide is truly revealing and it’s quite similar to Shotlink on the PGATOUR. The lack of Putter sensor does throw this data off slightly. 

DFB09F84-9C9B-4F42-A8B4-CC764D6FE86B.JPEG.f007315faaff634fdebb4d4b2a6e818d.JPEG

A tool that came in handy was the pin placement feature. The Pin Placement Feature allows you to view the green on the Garmin watch and reposition the pin to give you a more accurate yardage. I previously used the SwingU App which would basically placed the pin in the middle of the green and gave you the yardage from there with no way to replace it. Having that extra insight and more precise number from the S70 definitely gave me more confidence in my shots and I didn’t have to guess the yardages or club.

EF0C2438-0032-4B98-B481-655EC5837C9C.JPEG.94b2d4c2541201640e2653326c028b7d.JPEG

Overall, I am really enjoying the Garmin products so far. As I said in my introduction that I wanted more precise yardages and data, it seems the Garmin is providing that so far. I need 2 more rounds to unlock the Virtual Caddy. I really look forward to using this feature and giving the Virtual Caddy a tough day. Good thing he doesn’t have to carry my massive staff bag!

WITB:

Tee to Green: Elevate Your Game with the Garmin S70
The world of golf technology is constantly evolving, and the Garmin S70 is a shining example of how advanced gadgets can enhance your performance on the course. After extensively using this watch, I’ve discovered its many strengths and a few weaknesses. Here’s a look at how the Garmin S70 can elevate your game from tee to green.

Improving Tee Shot Accuracy and Distance
While I can't claim the watch directly enhances my precision and distance, it certainly helps me find the fairway more often and avoid penalties. In fact, the watch provides crucial course information and simulates potential tee shot distances right on your wrist. 

When I’m about to tee off, I can estimate where my ball might land and choose the most reasonable club accordingly to avoid OOB or water hazards for. As a golfer with a 15-18 HCP, this has been a game-changer. 

Example: This weekend, on a particularly tricky dogleg par-4 at my home course, the Garmin S70 advised me to opt for a 3-wood instead of my driver as I had improved my average driving distance from 235y to 255y on average recently and usually tried to cut the corner with my driver. This strategic decision helped me land safely on the fairway, avoiding going too far and play a recovery shot.

14-Auberiviere.jpg.e1b9ee2f9ec6cef164dbfe7f6b7a83d7.jpg

Assisting with Approach Shots and Greenside Play
When it comes to approach shots and greenside play, the Garmin S70 is incredibly helpful. It accurately detects bunkers and provides precise distances to different parts of the green. The PinPointer featurecombined with the virtual caddie is particularly beneficial, helping me attack the green more effectively.

In addition, the Garmin S70’s "PlaysLike" functionality, which accounts for elevation changes and weather conditions, is invaluable for making better decisions on the course. This feature helps in choosing the right club and adjusting for uphill or downhill shots, as well as wind conditions.

Example: On the par 5 of Golf Orléans, the watch adjusted the yardage to consider a downhill approach and tailwind, suggesting my 7i instead of my classic 5w for 220y. This helped me land just after the river and nicely roll down the hill to end on the green. I would have come up too long, in the bush, without the adjustment.

2-golforleans.jpg.fd50e11efedc9acc8f1ece61ee6f12ec.jpg

Improvements in Ball-Striking Consistency & Performance
While it’s hard to measure the Garmin S70’s direct impact on my ball-striking consistency, I can confidently say that using the Garmin S70 has made me swing with more assurance

Knowing accurate distances and course information allows me to focus more on my performance and less on the potential risks. This is particularly evident in my short game, where precise distance measurements are crucial. Trusting the data from the Garmin S70 has led to more confident swings and better results around the green (50y-100y shots) to leave the ball within a few feet for easier putt.

These better choices and confidence help me to take more “greens in regulation” resulting in more pars vs bogeys and the chance to add some birdies (not even eagle) on the score card. I can definitively say that I was able to lower my score by 3/5 shots using the Garmin S70 (or Arccos tracker) moving from a 20HCP (before tracking my shots) to a 16 HCP.

Comparison with Other Devices
When comparing the Garmin S70 with other devices like Arccos, there are both pros and cons:

• Having all the information you need on your wrist feels a huge plus.
  • The combination of the S70 and CT10 sensors functions similarly to the Arccos system.
  • The distance measurements and club recommendations are nearly identical, differing by only a yard or two, which is negligible for a golfer of my level. 
  • Garmin has no lack in features embedded in the watch vs Arccos.
  • Arccos has a slight edge in design and usability, offering a satellite view of the course that helps identify nearby trees and obstacles. Unfortunately, this feature is missing in the Garmin S70, which can lead to unexpected challenges on the course.
  • The Garmin Golf App is however the real pain vs Arccos. I’ll dedicate a complete post about it but after using Arccos App, it feels like a real regression to use the Garmin one… Usability is quite horrible, finding data is not easy… the user experience is not good at all.
  • Garmin is not displaying your Gained Stroked but a comparison VS a similar HCP.

garminvsarccos-sg.jpg.571362d688d7920bb7c4bbeab99f2ad8.jpg

Recommendation for Golfers
Would I recommend the Garmin S70 to golfers looking to enhance their performance on the course? Absolutely. Especially for those who enjoy playing on various courses throughout the season, the Garmin S70 provides the confidence to tackle unfamiliar layouts and avoid major pitfalls. The device’s seamless integration into my routine, without interfering with my game, makes it an excellent choice.

Final Thoughts
The Garmin S70 precise GPS capabilities, advanced features, and ease of use make it a valuable tool for improving your game. Like Arccos system, the Garmin has been a transformative addition to my golfing arsenal but directly on my wrist. 

It has improved my accuracy off the tee, enhanced my approach shots and greenside play, and boosted my confidence across various aspects of my game. While practice and skill remain essential, the Garmin S70 provides the data and insights needed to make smarter decisions and play better golf. If you’re serious about elevating your game, the Garmin S70 is a worthy investment, but it’s important to weigh its pros and cons against other leading systems like Arccos.

Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC) 
🎒 WITB:

• Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 

🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.

Congrats testers! Catching up on this thread.

If you were to lose one of this sensors, would you still be able to shot track?

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (45.5")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52° & 56° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

IMG_0523.jpeg.cc22eb1ca2d6a5c2d3b4a3cd1c8ced02.jpegSince my esteemed colleagues are doing such a great job with the golf aspect of this watch I will continue with comments on its other functions. 

Thanks Garmin for being Mr. Obvious on our dew point index for the 15th straight day. Oppressive is a very accurate assessment of our midday weather today and yesterday and everyday until mid October.  I prefer to winters up North though. I wonder what it would say about a January day in Wisconsin with a 40 below feels like temp? I had plenty of those days. 🙂

12 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

Hi Leon, 
Thank you for your message.

If we lose a sensor, we'll be not able to track shot on the specific club we lost it. The others will still work.

🎒 WITB:

🔎 Tests & Reviews :

3 minutes ago, CorentinV said:

Hi Leon, 
Thank you for your message.

If we lose a sensor, we'll be not able to track shot on the specific club we lost it. The others will still work.

Dang! I was hoping there would be the option for manual club selection/alternative without tags. Thanks for answering!

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (45.5")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52° & 56° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

Garmin S70 - Red Shift Feature

Hey Spys, just wanted to highlight a feature on the Garmin S70 that I find quite interesting and useful.

The Red Shift feature turns the entire watch face red. This is very beneficial to the eyes for blocking blue light and is great if you’re using the watch before bed or are sensitive to blue light.

IMG_4151.jpg.6c8329435e57b61d809ade7fb51b93de.jpg

Here is what I found online about blue light sensitivity:

Common Symptoms of Blue Light Sensitivity

If you’re sensitive to blue light, you may experience various symptoms, some of which are easy to overlook.

• Eye Strain and Discomfort. Common indications of blue light sensitivity include eye strain and discomfort after spending extended periods in front of screens.
  • Headaches and Migraines. You may also suffer from headaches or migraines, which could be intensified by blue light exposure.
  • Insomnia and Sleep Disturbances. Additionally, exposure to blue light in the evening can lead to insomnia and sleep disturbances as it interferes with the production of melatonin, a sleep-inducing hormone.
  • Blurred Vision and Sensitivity to Glare. Blurred vision and sensitivity to glare are other potential signs that you may be sensitive to this type of light.

In the past I've struggled with blue light sensitivity - Headaches and eye strain after long days of staring at a screen. Ive used blue light blocking glasses, but it's nice the Garmin has this small feature that is beneficial to combat my blue light sensitivity. 

In the evening I put the Garmin in Red Shift as I get the daily recap and also use the watch for the meditation feature before I go to bed (I’ll be posting about this feature soon!). 

WITB:

Extended First Impressions: Living with the Garmin S70

The only watch I've worn for the last 20+ years was a very analog Raymond Weil that wasn't suited for anything more active than styling & profiling [insert Ric Flair, "Woo!" here] and was always removed when I played golf, so I was pleasantly surprised that I don't notice the Garmin while I'm playing golf or working out. After two weeks I'm digging the watch for both life and golf even though I'm still learning how to use it. 

So far I've played 9 holes 4 times since I got the S70 and each time I've been able to use the watch and the data collected by the sensors a little more effectively as the data set grows. There's still some gaps that will be filled over time though; as example, I absolutely nuked my 5 iron 255 yards the first time I hit it after installing the sensors and consequently the average distance it gives me for that club is way off. What I'm noticing is that having a good idea of how far I'm hitting a club is allowing me to swing it with more confidence and not trying to kill the ball to get it where I want it to go. 

I'm a little less hyped for using the S70 for workouts. What I really need is a one minute timer for rest between sets and it took me until yesterday to figure out how to use the timer. Maybe I should have read the instructions or I'm not that smart, but I found using that particular function to be very counter-intuitive and buried too deep in the menus. I have also noticed that it doesn't always give me an accurate heart rate when I'm exercising, I'll see the heart rate monitor on the equipment showing I'm at 130 bpm and the Garmin is showing 70. Not sure what that's about because at all other times it seems to be accurate.

Still trying to figure out WTF the body battery is measuring? Maybe it's measuring stress and not activity, cause I'll sit at my desk all day and the score will drop precipitously despite me doing almost no physical activity. Right now it's -15 for the day and I haven't taken 700 steps. 

Overall I'm very happy with the S70 and CT10 sensors, unlike others I didn't have any problem installing them with just my hands and they have remained firmly in place on my clubs. One weird thing is that I'm starting to realize is that I don't like the golf bag I bought last year much. It's mostly OK and I can't justify buying a new golf bag two years in a row, but adding the sensors highlighted the fact that my clubs don't go smoothly into the bag and I often find myself having to wiggle clubs to get them all the way in. If I'm going to have a problem with the CT10s that will be why.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

On 6/11/2024 at 12:34 PM, cburins said:

Garmin S70 - Red Shift Feature

Hey Spys, just wanted to highlight a feature on the Garmin S70 that I find quite interesting and useful.

The Red Shift feature turns the entire watch face red. This is very beneficial to the eyes for blocking blue light and is great if you’re using the watch before bed or are sensitive to blue light.

IMG_4151.jpg.6c8329435e57b61d809ade7fb51b93de.jpg

Here is what I found online about blue light sensitivity:

Common Symptoms of Blue Light Sensitivity

If you’re sensitive to blue light, you may experience various symptoms, some of which are easy to overlook.

• Eye Strain and Discomfort. Common indications of blue light sensitivity include eye strain and discomfort after spending extended periods in front of screens.
  • Headaches and Migraines. You may also suffer from headaches or migraines, which could be intensified by blue light exposure.
  • Insomnia and Sleep Disturbances. Additionally, exposure to blue light in the evening can lead to insomnia and sleep disturbances as it interferes with the production of melatonin, a sleep-inducing hormone.
  • Blurred Vision and Sensitivity to Glare. Blurred vision and sensitivity to glare are other potential signs that you may be sensitive to this type of light.

In the past I've struggled with blue light sensitivity - Headaches and eye strain after long days of staring at a screen. Ive used blue light blocking glasses, but it's nice the Garmin has this small feature that is beneficial to combat my blue light sensitivity. 

In the evening I put the Garmin in Red Shift as I get the daily recap and also use the watch for the meditation feature before I go to bed (I’ll be posting about this feature soon!). 

I have the S70 and did not know about this feature! Very cool. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: bjohnson@northamericangolftour.com

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

10 hours ago, Bohnson said:

I have the S70 and did not know about this feature! Very cool. 

That's what the testers are for! Glad I could share this. 

WITB:

IMG_0545.jpeg.253ff3dea53196782b7fd79797d059f2.jpegIMG_0546.jpeg.ae891edb64e7756e669f233ddf04aeed.jpegHere we are again on the range and a sensor flying out. All I can think is it’s the heat and humidity of Florida that’s causing this issue. 

IMG_0547.jpeg.465ef652a6571edcf01b559f0111d0be.jpegYou can see that my divots are nice and shallow so it’s not the way I’m hitting the ball. While it’s mostly the 9 iron I’ve lost the sensor out of 7 and 8 iron too. 

The other difference between myself and my fellow testers is my body battery. I’m older, I have not been sleeping well and I’ve rarely started the day above 40. Interestingly my stress level and heart rate have remained low during the day but I start at such a deficit. It’s going to give something to talk to my doctor about at least. IMG_0544.jpeg.9fac20e14e3c8f42da0efe9c2b2eb518.jpegIMG_0542.jpeg.aeec041f43a6ea4574aec9d4244a4ff0.jpegIMG_0548.jpeg.a32dc54b73234916c424861484947a00.jpeg

IMG_0543.jpeg

So I finally had a reasonable nights sleep last night!

IMG_0551.jpeg.f0f1a2aa5c87461ed48b6dcce98b6d32.jpegThat led to a body battery in the 50’s although a morning of work and the very difficult visit with a family of mom and high schoolers whose husband and dad died yesterday knocked that back to the 30’s by the time I got home.  

Once there my two daughters and one of my sons were here along with 5 of our 9 grandchildren.

IMG_0559.jpeg.95bada3911fe7d53d4db03e54d05718a.jpeg

But they all went to the beach and I went to the range and walked a 1,2,6-9 loop.

IMG_0558.jpeg.dcdc909630ba1fe52aea990fc274eb8c.jpegIMG_0556.jpeg.74ddb7b63f884e579fc1a61c84f624fd.jpegSadly my Garmin didn’t handle the loop well or perhaps I didn’t understand the best way to advance it from 2 to 6 - I mean it’s there but it really didn’t like what I was doing. Ultimately I had to just reset the watch, I lost a lot of health data. 😞

Honestly though I think that’s on me.

On a very positive note I can not remember the last time that I hit the ball as well as I did today and my course is in ridiculously good shape. 

On 6/13/2024 at 10:03 AM, NubianRugby said:

Still trying to figure out WTF the body battery is measuring? Maybe it's measuring stress and not activity, cause I'll sit at my desk all day and the score will drop precipitously despite me doing almost no physical activity. Right now it's -15 for the day and I haven't taken 700 steps. 

So Body Battery is Garmin's way of estimating how much energy YOU have. It's based on how well you sleep, stress levels, respiration, and probably some other stuff that I don't know about. Personally, I rarely get up to 100. For example, I started today at 30. It's tracking heart rate and respiration 24/7. Even if you are sitting still, if it notices things that they use to identify stress, that will take the Body Battery level down. I feel like it's fairly accurate. I can look down at my watch, see that I'm bottomed out, and know that I need to get some rest.

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

14 hours ago, revkev said:

IMG_0551.jpeg.f0f1a2aa5c87461ed48b6dcce98b6d32.jpegThat led to a body battery in the 50’s although a morning of work and the very difficult visit with a family of mom and high schoolers whose husband and dad died yesterday knocked that back to the 30’s by the time I got home.  

Once there my two daughters and one of my sons were here along with 5 of our 9 grandchildren.

But they all went to the beach and I went to the range and walked a 1,2,6-9 loop.

IMG_0558.jpeg.dcdc909630ba1fe52aea990fc274eb8c.jpegIMG_0556.jpeg.74ddb7b63f884e579fc1a61c84f624fd.jpegSadly my Garmin didn’t handle the loop well or perhaps I didn’t understand the best way to advance it from 2 to 6 - I mean it’s there but it really didn’t like what I was doing. Ultimately I had to just reset the watch, I lost a lot of health data. 😞

On a very positive note I can not remember the last time that I hit the ball as well as I did today and my course is in ridiculously good shape. 

There is a way to change the hole that you are currently on. It might be a little different from my Fenix, but it's probably fairly similar. While in a golf activity, I press the top-right button, then scroll down to "change hole". Then just select the correct hole. I've only had a problem with that feature one time. The watch thought I started on hole #6. The tee boxes for #1 and #6 on that course are right next to each other and the holes run alongside of each other. I noticed that my distances were way off when compared to the markers in the fairway. I made a quick change to the correct hole and all was good.

On 6/10/2024 at 10:24 PM, BallsLeon said:

Yes, you can still track club info without the sensors. The watch notices that you have made a swing and it will ask you which club you used. The sensors are completely optional. The benefit is that the sensors are telling the watch which club you just used, so you don't have to manually input that info. 

48 minutes ago, VernL4 said:

Yes, you can still track club info without the sensors. The watch notices that you have made a swing and it will ask you which club you used. The sensors are completely optional. The benefit is that the sensors are telling the watch which club you just used, so you don't have to manually input that info. 

They also auto connect to the app and help provide some really cool and useful graphics there.

In regard to the hole advance I found that without too many problems and was able to get from 2 forward to 9 just fine - the problem came when I wanted to end the round after 9, which was actually only 5 holes - In the end I had to shut the watch down and I lost all of my data. 

I suspect there’s a more efficient way to handle that so I will need to figure it out. My club has a very nice loop and I enjoy playing a few holes at the end of a range session - I was really enjoying it yesterday because I was hitting the ball particularly well. Swing tweaks are starting to kick in. 

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

They also auto connect to the app and help provide some really cool and useful graphics there.

In regard to the hole advance I found that without too many problems and was able to get from 2 forward to 9 just fine - the problem came when I wanted to end the round after 9, which was actually only 5 holes - In the end I had to shut the watch down and I lost all of my data. 

I suspect there’s a more efficient way to handle that so I will need to figure it out. My club has a very nice loop and I enjoy playing a few holes at the end of a range session - I was really enjoying it yesterday because I was hitting the ball particularly well. Swing tweaks are starting to kick in. 

This made something else come to my mind. The watch will ask you if you want to save when you finish the 9th hole. I've always had problems if I say "Yes". Now, I only use this option if I'm actually finishing after 9. I scroll down the list and choose "Continue round", then I save when I've finished #18. This has reduced problems for me. (It also keeps stats neater and shows everything all together as one 18 hole round.)

21 hours ago, revkev said:

To navigate to different holes you press the top button and it gives you the options to select the hole you're playing. I got a bit confused with the scorecard section and change holes section. 

WITB:

On 6/17/2024 at 4:51 PM, cburins said:

To navigate to different holes you press the top button and it gives you the options to select the hole you're playing. I got a bit confused with the scorecard section and change holes section. 

Thanks to be clear I’m able to advance the hole no issues. 
IMG_0556.jpeg.f3bea76222b670b524f8969b89f11f7c.jpeg

Notice I’m on the 9th hole. What the watch didn’t like was that I only played 5 holes (a loop) and wanted to stop. I couldn’t figure out how to stop the round so I turned the watch off and lost all of my data in the restart. I suspect there’s a work around.