Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

TaylorMade P-Series and Hi-Toe 4 Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

2024 Taylormade P770 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by Indy_Oz
Introduction:
Greetings fellow Spies! My name is Mark, or Oz, (Oz is my high school nickname still used by a few select friends… long and dull story) and I am a British ex-pat professional engineer residing in Indiana, USA.
Below is a VERY rare selfie, taken at Marco Simone country club in Rome, Italy from earlier this year.

image.png.b451efaf202b64d89a4a2b7e97bec7f6.png

I started golfing when I was 14 years old, but had a golf hiatus from ~2002-2022. After dusting off the old clubs for a couple of charity scrambles two years ago, the golf bug well and truly bit. Pre-‘02 I was playing to an approx 5 handicap. Currently I’m 7.9 per GHIN (2.1 per Arccos). I play a variety of public courses around central Indiana (summer league at my local 9-hole muni). I typically play 1-2x per week. I am a member of an indoor golf training center (sims + indoor ‘range’).

Golf style, strengths and weaknesses:
I’ve just exited my 40s with a driver CHS ~110mph (~93mph 7-iron) and I’m working to maintain that for as long as possible. I grew up playing field hockey and cricket - both of which involve swinging sticks/ bats hard to hit balls, so my golf swing always had good speed.

Despite a litany of sports injuries over the years and being prone to injury, I’m fairly happy with where my swing is and my both range of motion and rotation. Could be better, could be worse. 7-iron sim shot:

Arccos tells me that my irons are a strength for me. However, the big issue with my P790s is the occasional ‘hot’ shot flying well beyond expected, leading to doubt and playing conservatively.

Iron History:

• First irons: When I started (late 80s) I gamed hand-me-down Wilson blades and persimmon woods. I replaced these with some cavity back Prosimmon irons in 1992 and gamed these until...
  • Current irons: Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW (I’ve been mistakenly thinking they were 2019. Doh!). A few months after returning to golf in 2022, I played a round with a neighbor after which he handed me these P790s that had been gathering dust. I ended up buying them and fitting pulled light (115g) x-stiff shafts that have worked well so far.

Testing Plan

• Fitting: I’ll report back on the fitting process, how I found the P770s and what spec I end up ordering. This experience will also cover the first part of ‘first impressions’.
  • Sim: When the P770s arrive, I’ll head to the sim to figure out baseline numbers and analyze the session data to compare against the benchmark numbers for the P790s. I will do simple sim range sessions, play virtual rounds and run through the FlightScope Skills tests.
  • Range: Along with consistency of ‘target golf’ on the range, I’ll report back on turf interaction, shot height (compared to the P790s), shot shaping, feel and sound off the face, center and off-center hits. I will also use the lower end of the irons for chipping around the practice greens and compare chipping feel against the P790s I use routinely (mostly PW and 9i).
  • Course: Obviously I’ll be taking these out on the course. I will play ‘regular’ rounds and also some iron-only (aside from putting) - or driver-on-par-5s-plus-irons-only (lol) - rounds to maximize the range of clubs used.

‘Play It or Trade It’ Decision:

To win a place in my bag, there are a few criteria to meet.

• Aesthetics & Feel: I need to like the look and feel of irons. Sleek and compact at address is desirable, but with the knowledge there is some ‘meat’ to the irons and forgiveness that provides.
    • The P770 seems to fit the bill on that front. I already know these are classy looking irons. The slim top line looks great at address and the overall simple, unfussy design and satin finish are very appealing to me.

(Below photo taken during fitting showing P7CB and P770 back sides to demonstrate similar blade size overall)

3DB5F7A8-132E-4AD2-87CE-DAD76AD2ABDD_1_105_c.jpeg.cbd7698664e19e8146475e871296047f.jpeg

(Below image and animation/video ‘borrowed’ from Taylormade website)

image.png.dae970709ef175454cfef9ed8a6d1d74.png

• Shot consistency: This is the biggy. I need my iron shots to be more consistent (carry distance and lateral dispersion for the most part) than my P790s. Forgiveness is obviously desired to some extent, but I tend to hit the ball fairly well. I need carry distances I can trust along with good gapping through the set. Example: On the sim recently, in a set of 10 well struck 7-irons, there was almost 20 yards in carry dispersion! 174 to 192 yards. I can’t be confident hitting greens with that variance.
    • I am an Arccos user, so I will share those data- compared to the P790- in addition to sim data.
    • It’s important to eliminate the ‘hot shots’ that the old P790 suffers. If you believe the press releases, the P770 doesn’t suffer this. Fingers crossed.  (Video below showing internal design - FLTD CG  and tungsten weight in the toe end - taken from Taylormade website)

• Shot shaping: I like to have a consistent stock shot shape, but I will work a fade or draw if there’s a cross wind. I’m hoping the P770 allows me to hit predictable shot shapes.
  • Stopping power: Part of the consistent shots is good descent angle and spin numbers. If these hit the right window, even the long irons will have a good apex, spin and landing angle along with good carry and will stop reasonably quickly on greens. I’m not looking to drop and spin back every iron. Manageable stopping distance so I don’t roll through the back of the green too often would be great.
    • The P770s are apparently designed to launch well, with their FLTD CG and tungsten weight placement (in the longer irons). Shorter irons with higher CG should launch and spin well without the tungsten weights.

[Link to P770 fitting post]

Next update initial impressions when the irons are delivered...

If there is anything I've not mentioned that fellow Spies would like to see tested/ answered, please ask away!

Edited by Indy_Oz
Fitting process moved to separate post (link added)

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

2024 TAYLORMADE P-770 IRONS - OFFICIAL MGS REVIEW BY LEAKYVALVE

Hello friends and welcome. My name is Mike (LeakyValve) and this will be my official review of the new Taylormade new P-770 irons. 

Screenshot_20240829_090100_Chrome.jpg.12e08ca815f60928a85eb594f49c9c8c.jpg

To say I'm thankful and honoured is an understatement. Having the chance to test and review StarGrips through MGS earlier was a delight, and yes they are still in play, just on new irons. Thank you MGS and the staff for this amazing chance to bring to you all my thoughts and honest opinions on these lovely looking irons. 

A little about me and my game. I'm a leftie from Alberta, Canada. Our season is sadly very close to ending, but I have 2 major rounds left to play this year and hopefully I get the clubs before it gets too cold or snowy. I currently play off a 6.3 HCDP through the Grint. Average scoring of around 83.4 with an 80% attest rate. I can fire in the mid to high 70’s and instantly throw down a 95. My big misses are a pull hook and a block push. Mostly caused by turning the hands over and casting for the hook, then leaving my hands out behind my swing for the push. Most times I hit a slight draw and cover the ball a lot so they go quite far. Ball striking is “okay,” I can hit close to the centre of the face most times. I'm curious if the new tech in the P’s can help with miss hits and if the forgiveness keeps distances the same on off centre strikes. 

My current gamers are Acer XVs. Acer is from the Hireko brand. They're a club builders head. And by no means a top shelf, lots of money spent on, iron. After struggling with my ‘15 apex pros I wanted to make the switch to something with a lot more help (compared to a forged blade). Yes the Acer's are cast CB’s. But the rounds played have been good. More forgiving in terms of distance on miss hits. A bit higher launching. And still stopping on greens.

TECH TALK - The 2024 P770's feature a slew of new(ish) features that are said to make this years model better than the last. They are..

• A new leading edge design said to help with turf interaction
  • Speed Foam Air which is 69% less dense to allow for better weight distribution in the head with tungsten weights
  • A 4140 forged face will fully milled grooves for increased feel and spin
  • The through "Speed Pocket" which helps the longer irons with lower face strikes by keeping ball speeds up
  • And FLTD CG. Used to change the centre of gravity in each iron for optimal flight and spin throughout the whole set of irons. 
  • A more compact, players style head shape and reduced top line to really push the "Players" aspect of the clubs

(Personally I'm most excited to test out the FLTD CG as I have some issues with the short irons)

GOALS FOR THE TEST!!

• Determine if the P-770s do in fact fit between a players blade (Apex) and the game improvement irons (Acer). Done by comparing sizing of the iron heads and comparing distance and forgiveness
  • Try to hit shots with the P770 all over the face to see if the forgiveness is there. (Distance loss, ball flight issues)
  • See if I notice the FLTD GC in play. (Higher easier launching long irons. Flighted, better spinning low irons) done by hitting normal shots with my current gamers vs the P's to see if there is a noticable difference in height and spin numbers. 
  • Determine who these clubs are for, and if they’re worth your money.
  • Try to find a better looking iron on the market… (Maybe we will. Or won't.)

What do these irons need to do to earn a permanent spot in my bag?

• Perform in all conditions and circumstances. 
  • Maintain distance on toe and low face strikes (especially in the 4-7 irons)
  • Instill confidence behind the ball and in general. If I don't feel like I'm going hit a good strike at address, chances are it's not a good strike. Will these look too small and strike fear?

TESTING TIMELINE -  As mentioned above, my outside season is fast approaching. Leaving me with only possibly only the chance to hit the P's inside on a sim. I'll be doing distance numbers and feel testing first, then playing iron only rounds and repeating. Once the snow clears in '25 it will be on the range to verify numbers and on the course as much as possible to give the best feedback. 

Link to the fitting!!

TL;DR! The fitting was an awesome experience. Really cool to see the difference between shafts in terms of spin and height. Highly recommend anyone looking for any new clubs to go get fit by a master fitter from the respective brand. 

FINAL SPECS TO BE USED FOR ORDERING!!

4-PW LEFT

KBS C TAPER LITE STIFF (1/4" long)

GRIPS.... YOU'LL SEE. 

I'll pose these questions and tasks in my final review and give my honest thoughts. Along with MGS’ standard scoring criteria. 

Thanks again to MGS for this incredible opportunity. 

(I’m in the midst of recording everything from my intro to the fitting and my unboxing, so after that I'll have a video up for you all to see!!)

PS! If any members have any questions about the process or fitting or the clubs please don't hesitate to ask!! Also, any specific tests people want to see just let us know! 

Here's a picture of my current "WITB"

20240830_161115.jpg.ba5252ed89e959fde7f337535c8baa75.jpg

Driver - Haywood 9* 

Hybrid - Acer XV 3 Hybrid 19*

Driving Iron - Acer XK Pro 20*

Irons - 4-P - Acer XV - Apollo Shadow Lite Stiff shafts

Wedges - 50/54/60. Cleveland/Vokey/Nike

Putter - Taylormade TP DuPage

Ball - round and white. 

That's all for now folks. I'll be in the threads with some tech stuff shortly as well as some spec comparisons once I've ordered the P’s!

Edited by LeakyValve
Testing updates

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

A huge Thank You to TM and MGS for selecting me as a reviewer and I look forward to putting in the work to create a complete and fair review.  My name is Bob, I have been a member of MGS since 2020.  I forget what brought me to the forum, I think it was research into drivers as that was about the time I was looking to upgrade.  Besides the awesome equipment reviews I found the membership to be respectful, friendly and to have the same curiosity about golf gear that I do.

I grew up in south east PA and currently live in the north east corner of MD where it can be convenient to get to courses in MD, DE & PA.  I have been playing golf since the early 1970’s and am in my early 60’s.  Currently I have Mizuno JPX 900 Forged irons, 5-PW, with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts.  The irons (complete with some lead tape!) are living in a very nice MyGolfSpy edition Jones bag.

Gamers.jpg.e04e376b6b681afb58f41aa2df17e41d.jpg

I realized a couple weeks ago this summer marks the 50th year I have been playing regular length clubs and regulation courses.  I recently posted some pics of my 50 year journey through sets of irons here…  

I wondered what my next 50 years of equipment might be, not realizing the next iron set was only days away!  I am stoked to be trying the P-7CB’s.  TaylorMade is known for quality clubs through the bag and these look fantastic.   While I have always liked the look if their irons, my impression of TM was they are a little stronger in the game improvement iron models than the players models.  I have liked the clean, simple lines of their designs.  I am not a fan of the plastic you see on a lot of irons these days.  

I have more time to play and practice this summer than in the past 5 years or so.  Aches and pains have been minimal, nothing a few advil can’t handle.  As a result, my ball striking has been very solid and consistent through the bag dropping my index to 2.4 currently.   My wife also plays quite a bit at about a 10 index  and is always ready to head out for a quick 9 in the evening.   IntroSelfie.jpg.d489cae2e247f306f9e0bfc94c1371ba.jpg

We play in a 9 hole league during the week and usually get out to play on a weekend evening getting in as many holes as we can.  If work schedules allowed we made time to get out for another round.  I am very fortunate she is an avid golfer and there won’t be any issue making time for at least another weekly 18 during the review period.  I know, it’s a sacrifice, but I’ll do it for the Spies! 

If I can’t get to the course there is always a mat and hitting net in the pole barn with a Mevo.  I’ve had a putting green in the backyard for 15 years and can hit wedge shots up to 65 yards.  So three or four times per week I am hitting 50 or so wedge shots and/or putting for a while.  

20200924_093835.jpg.992a68a377e8496a4916128116bec6bc.jpg

These sessions have helped dial in wedge yardages & dispersion along with keeping a good swing tempo through the bag.   Sorry TM, this is the swing the P-7CB's will have to work with!  

I feel I am on the bottom of the curve in average distance for my handicap.  My driver carry of about 245 and 7i carry of about 150 is usually less than other single digit players I face.  However, I feel I am above average with accuracy from my irons and anything that wants to kick the Mizzy’s out of the bag better be pin hunters.  I also play 3/4 shots frequently and my irons need to be workable to control ball flight into the window I want. 

I am not chasing distance but don’t want to lose yards either.  If the P-7CB’s match the yardage of the JPX’s that is fine with me.  I am looking forward to the fitting process for the shaft material selection.  I have an itch to compare performance between graphite and the steel shafts that I am used to.  Will the lighter weight of graphite add some mph’s to my swing resulting in effortless distance gains?  Will the lighter overall weight from graphite cause issues with my swing timing and hurt dispersion?  Let’s find out!!  Either way, graphite or steel, I want the tightest dispersion with at least the distance I am currently experiencing.

The review will involve a good bit of course testing not only in regular play but with dropping balls at in between distances in varied lies.  Fairway, light rough, heavy rough, fairway bunkers will all be checked to see how the sole interacts with those surfaces.  Our course is not busy this time of year so that will be easy to do.  The regular play will test my confidence level in using the clubs with the pressure of real scoring while dropping balls will allow testing in some challenging spots regular play may not find on that particular day. 

An irons only round will be in the mix to help maximize the variety of shots.  I also plan to include a couple other golfers in the on course testing as I am playing with them.  A couple golfing friends are single digit ‘cappers that know their swing and ball flights pretty well and can contribute some look and feel impressions about the irons.  The more the merrier as they say! 

For the analytics department, I will make use of a simulator to get all the provided data points for comparison between the P-7CB’s and the JPX 900’s.  But I am not a slave to the simulator numbers.   I can see from the performance on the course if the ball flight is what I want and if the bite when it hits the green is what I need.  In my opinion real world confidence in a club to make the single shot when needed is a more complete gauge than repetitive simulator shots that allow for adjustments to dial in a shot to hit a number.

For me to be ready to switch equipment it comes down to getting the ball flight I need for a particular shot and hitting greens in reasonable proximity to the hole.  It will be fun to see if the P-7CB’s can meet the challenge.  Let’s get going!!!

Next update will be the fitting process.  Where will it lead??!!

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2024 TaylorMade P7CB Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by Byrnzee

Introduction:

Hello all! For those of you who I haven't already met through either the Good Morning thread, Community Calls, or otherwise, let me properly introduce myself. My name is Connor Byrne aka "Byrnzee" and I've been on the Forum for a little over a year now. I was initially introduced to this wonderful community through my brother-in-law @Swood1994. He said it was a great place to meet like-minded golf nuts to share ideas, rant, and get more information about new equipment (and boy, was he right!)

IMG_7021.jpeg.d4fc5acdd597b898cc17c17f9c841b8c.jpeg

I've been golfing since I was a kid; my dad is a big golfer and always brought me along and taught me how to behave and how to have fun on a golf course. I fell in love with the game at an early age and used to love watching golf with my dad every time a big tournament was on TV. I would say that I've mostly been taught by my dad, with some help from junior golf camps. That being said, my swing used to be very homegrown (similar to my dad's).

However, at the beginning of last year, I started taking lessons after realizing that my swing was incredibly inconsistent. I've been on this swing change journey for quite some time now and am still working on it today. I've had a few lessons, have gotten lost in the YouTube rabbit-hole, and am now working with a Skillest instructor on a regular basis. I've gotten my handicap down from about a 13-14 to a 7.8 in the last 18 months.

My game has been fairly consistent this year, with an average score of 84.1 and lowest being an 80 at Arcadia Bluffs earlier this summer. My biggest weakness is probably consistency off the tee, but that has gotten better as well. My biggest strength is probably around the greens, as I pride myself on being a great feel player and am usually able to save a few strokes with my chipping. My ball-striking could definitely use some work and I'm hoping that the P7CBs can help me in that aspect. 

The TaylorMade website states that these irons have a "tour quality feel" and that "they’re engineered for players who demand the purest feel, shot-making capability and consistency." I'm usually just trying to hit the ball straight on the course, but I have a draw-biased swing. I'm interested to see how much easier the "shot-making" becomes with these irons and how I can use this new technology to my advantage. 

My current irons are 5-year old Mizuno MP-54s that I bought off eBay in 2019. They were brand new and still in plastic at the time, but were stock specs and my first "new" irons I ever owned. They have served me well over the years, but I'm ready for a change and am hopeful that the P7CBs will be the right fit for me and my game.

I have never been fit for clubs before, so I'm both excited and nervous for that process and hope to share lots of details about it in this thread. The look of the P7CBs is not dissimilar to my current irons, which is one of the many reasons I was drawn to them:

IMG_8719.jpeg.fbdc6341bb1bbc934e1a2b122b94eaea.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg.2ad4e99165aa14f57d026cf7a1b34caa.jpeg

Testing Plan:

• Fitting - my fitting happened on Sunday, September 8th, at Mistwood Golf Club (about an hour west of Chicago). I had never had a fitting for any clubs before, so it was a very interesting process for me that I have documented here in detail. I was surprised to see what shafts I got fit into; I went into this fitting with a completely open mind and was very pleased with my experience.
  • Baseline - not to completely copy @Indy_Oz above, but my plan was always to get baseline data for these new clubs on a simulator. I have access to a PGA Superstore with Trackman simulators and I plan on doing a side-by-side comparison between the new P7CBs and my old Mizunos.
  • On-Range - I would say I spend most of my time hitting balls on a driving range. I wish I could get out to the course more, but unfortunately living in Chicago, tee times are scarce and most courses that are worth playing are an hour or more outside the city. I live about 10 minutes from a turf range where I plan to get most of my practice in with these new clubs. Here I will also be testing feel, workability, consistency and overall performance.
  • On-Course - Lastly, I will be putting these clubs into play on course immediately upon arrival. Our golf season in Chicago doesn't last long, so I will be trying to get in as many rounds as I can to determine how these new irons perform on-course. My focus will be on consistency, forgiveness, workability, and overall feel during a round of golf.

Play it or Trade it:

I am very hopeful that the P7CBs will earn a permanent spot in my bag. However, there will be several factors that determine whether or not that is the case:

• Consistency - this is the biggest factor for me when it comes to choosing something to stay in my bag. I will be determining whether or not I can rely on these irons to provide consistent shots and results both on the range and the course.
  • Feel - as mentioned above, I pride myself as a feel player. If I don't feel comfortable with a club, I can't play my best golf. Therefore, I need to make sure that the feel when hitting these irons (and maybe more importantly, when misshitting them) is tolerable.
  • Forgiveness - I would say this is the area I'm the most concerned about when it comes to this line of irons. These irons are now in the bag of tour players: including Nelly Korda, Rory McIlroy, Tommy Fleetwood and Collin Morikawa. I wouldn't say that I am a tour-caliber player, so am I worthy of having these irons in my bag and producing positive results? Time will tell. Similarly, I think hitting the longer irons in this set will be a challenge. I think in a perfect world I would maybe have a combo set with the P770s for 4, 5 and maybe 6 iron. This will be an area I will focus on during my testing to determine if these are indeed the right fit for me and my game.
  • Workability - TaylorMade has been very vocal with these irons about how the forged design and optimized perimeter weighting "give you stability and workability throughout the bag." As mentioned above, I'm not usually someone who works the ball (on purpose). I try to hit a straight shot and tend to have a draw bias. However, I know the mechanics of how to hit certain shot shapes and I will definitely be testing to see if TaylorMade's claim is true: are these irons easier to shape? If so, does that result in less forgiveness?

That's all for now, folks! Will be continuing to provide updates as this process unfolds, starting with the aforementioned fitting on Sunday. Will be taking lots of pictures, videos and sharing my entire experience with these beautiful irons. If there are any specific things you would like to see tested or focused on for the P7CBs, please don't hesitate to ask!

Edited by Byrnzee
Edited fitting area to link to detailed post.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 4, Full face wedges testing

Introduction:

My name is Rick (Flanpro) and I'm from the Great White North.  I live in Muskoka to be exact, which is a beautiful part of our country approximately 2 hours north of Toronto.  Formally called cottage country by the tourists but it is home to my wife and I along with our 3 retired Greyhounds.  

IMG_5512.jpeg.9fbad64ff3dc9a7f53ca8686a4713da7.jpeg

My golf background started when I was in my late 20's when I decided to look into the golf business as a fun way to make a living.  I was able to get my CPGA card within a year and I was on my new journey.  My focus was more on the business side even though I could manage to play well enough.  Through the next 16years I was involved a General Manager / Head Pro at several facilities in Southern Ontario but my most enjoyable experience came in 2009 when I was asked to be Project Manager for a new course build called Sally Creek.  If there was one thing I could do for the rest of my life it would be designing and building golf courses! Not long after finishing that project it was becoming more and more difficult to get approvals for golf courses and I decided to take a different direction.  I even applied and received re-instatement of my amateur status. Right now at 65 I'm a 10.3 Handicap Index and looking to improve

GOALS FOR TESTING:

IMG_5504.jpeg.48a171d4d14a216e0621f031ec963b0e.jpeg

As you can see I'm a "Wedge Junkie".  I have many friends who are "Driver Junkies" "Golf Shoe Junkies" and "Iron Junkies" and many of the Spies will fall into these categories but I am a certified Wedge Guy.  This picture is a sample of the collection that I have available to me, along with at least 10 more in my shed.  Taylormade, Titleist, Cleveland, Cobra, Smithworks, Wilson and many more brands hold a place.

The best part of my game is from 50 yards to the green and my wedges are a big part of my bag - and the reason I am really excited about testing these new wedges.  I'm currently gaming Taylormade TG3 Raw face wedges (54 and 58 degrees), along with a Cleveland Special 588 49 degree and a Ping G430 45 degree.

IMG_5508.jpeg.954df7490ebb1f2d464f411d1b37c4f9.jpeg

My goals are very simple when I look at this testing and analysis - will these new wedges be an improvement on my existing gamers and will they be the next step for me to improve in the scoring areas of the golf course?

TESTING

Naturally I will be gathering as much data as possible through launch monitors, my Shot Scope application and the range but I still believe the true test is on the course in every possible tight lie, uphill or downhill slope, bunker, rough, and greenside location that I can find!  Do they spin?  Do they spin enough or too much? Is the ball flight high, low or in between?

GOALS

My plan is to make as many videos and screen shots as possible to give everyone a clear idea of the performance of these new wedges along with my direct comparison to the Taylormade TG3 that I'm using now. I'm expecting them to be great.

FINAL THOUGHT.......

I've discovered over all of he rounds of golf I've played (usually 60-70 per year) that there are two clubs in every golfer's bag that are a personal choice - The Putter and wedges.  It's important to have the confidence that these clubs will perform to increase your enjoyment and lower your scores!

I'm looking forward to providing regular updates and information as we go through the process!

Lets go tee em' up!

Edited by Flanpro

Ping G425 LST Driver

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping G425 19deg Hybrid

Ping G430 irons 5-P, 45, 50

Taylormade MG3 wedges 54, 58

Ping Ketch Putter 34”

image.png.8eae92fcd84565f9444bc24e6aef3912.png

2024 Taylormade Hi-Toe 4 Wedges – Official MGS Forum Review by  jaz29

Introduction:

Hello Spies!! My name is Jeff (jaz29) and I live in Commerce Township, MI, which is in the metro Detroit area. I have been an avid golfer since middle school and am currently a manager at Ford Motor Company.

This summer we took a golf trip to Scotland!! This is a picture me on the Swilcan Bridge at the Old Course and one with my caddie Ollie on the Castle Course, both at St. Andrews.

IMG_7133.JPG.7433a8d396bf5477e8e41564b30fe104.JPG

St.AndrewsCastleCoursewithOliver.JPG.f0427206cca8b9f15b76e1fe632a4c0b.JPG

I started playing golf in 8th grade with a beginner set of clubs. My dad got me started and I loved playing with him and my brother so much that I saved my money and joined for a summer at my local muni. My brother and I would ride our bikes to the course with the clubs thrown over our shoulder. I played on the high school golf team, but was never one of the better players, but did play Varsity my senior year. Played very little in college and then picked it back up after I got into the work force. I was lucky enough to work for a company that were members at Firestone CC in Akron, OH. So it was fun getting back into it at a place that Tiger loves so much!

During this time, I severly broke my left wrist in a freak softball collision that almost cost me my hand. This led to 3 surgeries and took me away from the game for a few years. The injury took me from 8-9 handicap to a 15. I followed a woman to Michigan, where marriage, my son and all the coaching, volunteering and other stuff that family gets you involved with took me away from playing like I wanted.  I am now at a point where I commited to playing agein. I now play in a golf league weekly at Mystic Creek Golf Course.

I also play with my wife, son and other friends at a variety courses in the area. I attend a couple of small 3 day trips with friends and I try to play a PGA played course each year. I am a member of the Golf Association of Michigan (GAM) and do like to play in some NET amateur events when I can. I suggest anyone in my area to join. https://gam.org/

Whats in My Bag? Epic Flash (Driver), Taylormade RBZ (3w, 3HL rescue), Callaway X-Hot Pro (4-w), Titleist SM4 wedges (48,52,56) and a Scotty Cameron Fastback Select (putter) Plus MYGOLFSPY bag tag!!

WITB.JPG.f700099d7d83193c8952032134ad4e6f.JPG

TitleistSM4wedges.JPG.87b4b13ff67a07f11a0ae54e24c87bcf.JPG

I am excited to review the new Hi Toe 4 Wedges as this has been my main area of improvement. Getting better in this area, would get me back to single digits.

What have I played with?

• Starter Set (1w,3w, 3,5,7,9 irons and a putter)
  • 1st set that I purchased - H&B Powerbuilt with persimmon woods
  • Taylormade with the bubble shafts, Titleist Woods
  • Tommy Armour 845's (1 iron - 4th wedge)...still love these and mys on is playing them
  • Current

What is my test plan?

• Honesty!! I am not a pro reviewer, so I will tell it how it is. Not every product is for you or me. To be honest, I thought the Hi Toe wedges looked forgiving, so I will give it a shot!
  • I'll baseline my current wedge game and data for you as I gapped these wedges a little differently from my current ones, hoping to see some improvement in my game.
  • I am a range rat, so I will provide data off Trackman from my local golf shop, Carl's Golfland https://www.carlsgolfland.com/trackmanrange

Play them or not?

• I am getting too old to care what they look like or feel like.......If they improve my game, they stay in the bag!! 

Thank you to the MGS Forum for picking me for this test. I am pumped to check out the new wedge from Taylormade!

Next up...................... the unboxing of the new sticks.

Let me know if there are any questions or unique things that you want me to point out. I am looking forward from hearing from the other spies out there.

Edited by jaz29
Intro for Taylormade Hi Toe 4 wedge test

Carry Bag - :titleist-small: Hybrid 14

Cart Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 (Bought in Apr '23)

Driver - :callaway-small: Epic Flash equipped with a Mitsubishi TENSEI AV 65 Stiff shaft

3w - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft 

Hybrid (3 high loft) - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft

Irons - :callaway-small: X-Hot Pro 4-W equipped with Rifle ProjectX95 6.5 shaft

Wedges - :titleist-small: :vokey-small: 48*, 52*, 56* equipped with True Temper shafts

Putter - :titleist-small: :scotty-small: Fastback Select 1.5 equipped with mid size super stroke grip. Weighted 15g in toe and heel

Ball - :titleist-small: Pro V1

All other clubs are gripped with Golf Pride mid size tour wrap grips with 2 layers of tape

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

TWFeature.jpg

TaylorMade has introduced three new products designed to elevate your golf game: the P·770 Irons, P·7CB Irons, and the Hi-Toe 4 Wedge. We’re looking for six golfers—two for each product—to test, review, and keep these clubs. This is your chance to see if TaylorMade’s claims hold up when these clubs are put to the test by real golfers like you!

What you’ll be testing

TaylorMade P·770 Irons: These irons are crafted for golfers who desire a blend of distance and forgiveness within a compact design. The hollow body construction with SpeedFoam Air aims to combine power with precision, while also providing a soft feel on impact. They’re said to be perfect for those who want to shape their shots without compromising on distance.

TaylorMade P·7CB Irons: Aimed at golfers who value precision, these cavity-back irons blend a traditional look with modern engineering. They are built to deliver high levels of control and feedback, allowing for a variety of shot shapes. This should make them a top choice for those who prioritize accuracy and feel.

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 4 Wedge: This wedge is designed for versatility in short-game scenarios. Featuring full-face grooves and a high-toe design, it’s engineered to enhance spin and control, especially when executing open-faced shots. It’s intended to perform well in a range of conditions and lies, making it a go-to option for short-game enthusiasts.

TWFeature (3).jpg

Please welcome and congratulate our testers!

P-770 - @Indy_Oz @LeakyValve 

P-7CB - @Shapotomous @Byrnzee 

Hi-Toe 4 Wedges - @Flanpro @jaz29

Awesome wedding present for @Byrnzee! I'm betting we'll be getting some great feedback from each. Congrats all!👏🏾

Still swinging after all these years

Congrats team, this should be a beauty of a test!!

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, Nippon Modus Tour 115 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Congrats.  Looking forward to your reviews 

In My Bag

TM Qi10 Core, PX HZD Smoke Black, 6.5 

TM Qi10 5W, PX Hzds Smoke Black, 6.5

TM P-UDI 2i, PX Hzds Smoke Black, 6.5

TM P790 4-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

Titleist Pro V1 Yellow

Congrats, this one is gonna be fun!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: Cobra RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5°
Fairway: Callaway Paradym 3HL 16.5°
Utility: Callaway Apex UW 19°
4 Hybrid: Cobra KING LTDx 21°
Irons: New Level 480-TC (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)
Wedges: Edison Golf 2.0 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter: L.A.B. Golf DF3 34"/67°
Ball: Maxfli Tour (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

Congratulations to all testers!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

Congrats testers. Really keen to hear your thoughts on the CBs. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

Nice, good luck testers looking forward to seeing how these work for you.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Should be a fun one to follow! Congrats to those that were selected

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k 10.5° turned up 1°  w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3w::ping-small: 14.5° G425 Max Newton 6 dot

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

5i-PW:  :ping-small: Blueprint S with DG S300

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Congratulations testers!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

Can’t wait to see the reviews on the CBs - congrats group!

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

L.A.B. DF3

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Congrats testers! Have fun! I’m loving the look of those 770s! 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

Congrats and good luck! Look forward to data.

• Driver: Titleist TSr4 8º, Graphite Design Tour AD 6x
  • 3W: Titleist TSi2 13.5º, Project X 8x
  • 2i: Taylormade P790, HZRDOUS 6.0
  • 4i-6i: Mizuno Pro 225, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 7i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 50º; 54º; 60º: Mizuno T22
  • Putter: Evnroll Ev 5.1

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

TWFeature.jpg

TaylorMade has introduced three new products designed to elevate your golf game: the P·770 Irons, P·7CB Irons, and the Hi-Toe 4 Wedge. We’re looking for six golfers—two for each product—to test, review, and keep these clubs. This is your chance to see if TaylorMade’s claims hold up when these clubs are put to the test by real golfers like you!

What you’ll be testing

TaylorMade P·770 Irons: These irons are crafted for golfers who desire a blend of distance and forgiveness within a compact design. The hollow body construction with SpeedFoam Air aims to combine power with precision, while also providing a soft feel on impact. They’re said to be perfect for those who want to shape their shots without compromising on distance.

TaylorMade P·7CB Irons: Aimed at golfers who value precision, these cavity-back irons blend a traditional look with modern engineering. They are built to deliver high levels of control and feedback, allowing for a variety of shot shapes. This should make them a top choice for those who prioritize accuracy and feel.

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 4 Wedge: This wedge is designed for versatility in short-game scenarios. Featuring full-face grooves and a high-toe design, it’s engineered to enhance spin and control, especially when executing open-faced shots. It’s intended to perform well in a range of conditions and lies, making it a go-to option for short-game enthusiasts.

TWFeature (3).jpg

Congratulations to everyone selected!

What a group of testers, congratulations!  Really curious about the thoughts on the P-7CBs.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

TWFeature.jpg

What you’ll be testing

TWFeature (3).jpg

Congratulations to the testers... Man am I jealous! 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Congrats testers! Looking forward to your reviews!

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S (currently Testing AI Smoke🔹🔹🔹)

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

2024 Skytrak+ Official Forum Test