Justin H

New vs old drivers

Our Sponsors

I had the original Bertha, that I let my dad play, I'd like to get it side by side with the 2014 model. Now that I'm a better golfer than I was 10 years ago. It would be fun to just go to the range and let em rip

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I bought the 2014 Big Bertha from Callaway back in 2013, so the old girl's not exactly new - although newer than most of the others on this particular forum. However, this is a club that can, and will, go quite long when the need or opportunity arises. There's at least 2 or 3 times per round where I hit 300yd+ drives, and I know that she can keep up with, and beat, the current crop of drivers. The current Callaway GBB, TM M2, King Cobra and XR16 aren't as long or as low spinning as my driver. The only thing that might tempt me into buying new is the M1 with the right shaft in it, but the price would have to be right, probably around AUD$400 (roughly US$300).

• Like 1

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X

I am still playing a Ping G25.  Not as old as some of the other drivers mentioned here.  I used to love my Titleist 905T and it was a fairway finder.  I would like to see how the Most wanted drivers of the past few years stack up against each other.  I think for me to take my G25 out of the bag right now I would want a smaller head and the right shaft combo that gave me a consistent fairway finder.  I am afraid to cut down my shaft because I don' want to change the swing weight.  But I definitely think i was more consistant back in the day when the drivers were shorter.  Better center of the face contact with always means more distance. 

• Like 1

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

I am seriously considering buying a Wishon 919THI driver. That would be a very old driver that is new to me. I will come clean (as indicated by my earlier post) that I have become enamored of the Wishon total fitting philosophy of late. We'll see how things end up next year, but the reviews of that driver are very tempting (going back years). I especially like how people always comment on the consistency of it, which I think probably speaks more to the fitting process rather than the club itself.

• Like 1

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

Driver:   :taylormade-small: R11, Fujikura blur S

Woods:     :mizuno-small:   JPX EZ, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: Miura PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: Miura 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I am seriously considering buying a Wishon 919THI driver. That would be a very old driver that is new to me. I will come clean (as indicated by my earlier post) that I have become enamored of the Wishon total fitting philosophy of late. We'll see how things end up next year, but the reviews of that driver are very tempting (going back years). I especially like how people always comment on the consistency of it, which I think probably speaks more to the fitting process rather than the club itself.

It's a pretty looking club, but PlaidJacket didn't have a very good experience with his.  Might want to contact him about his experience.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's a pretty looking club, but PlaidJacket didn't have a very good experience with his.  Might want to contact him about his experience.

Thanks Kenny, will do.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

Driver:   :taylormade-small: R11, Fujikura blur S

Woods:     :mizuno-small:   JPX EZ, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: Miura PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: Miura 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I would be interested in seeing the cg locations and moi numbers for some of the older clubs and even some wood drivers. Up until last year I gamed the Cleveland Launcher 9.5*. It was unseated by the Big Bertha Alpha 10.5*.

• Like 1

I play a Nickent 4DX Evolver with a Grafalloy Epic shaft.  I think both came out in 2008.  I've had a hit of a few new drivers, but I don't seem to get any significant benefit.  All up (including shipping and swapping the tip) I got a 10.5, 12.5 and the Epic for about $150. My daughter is now playing the 12.5 with a reg UST V2 shaft.

I haven't had swing speed checked for years, let alone other numbers, but average about 260 with roll out. The occasional one gets out there further when the stars align.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I still game a TaylorMade R11 (and with the potential death of TM it is bound to skyrocket in price).

Shortened it to 44.25" and the driver is once again my favorite club to hit.

I happen to agree with Tom Wishon that driver tech is over rated. They are not making huge leaps in distance and forgiveness year over year. At best it is incremental or not at all. I still bomb my R11 past all my buddies who play the latest driver that year. If you have confidence in your driver, that is all that matters.

I fully agree, up until last year I was gaming a 2007 head (Integra Disuka) with a 2009 shaft (SynerG first article - may have been the first and last article of that conpany i never heard off again despite attracting a few PGA tour guys). Bought a used R1 last year just to get more loft to compensate for my slower swing speed. Paid $125 cdn (like $50 usd these days lol). For me it is long and accurate.

Will see how it Will hold up today during my fitting session with a launch monitor

Sent from my A0001 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver:  Taylormade R1,65g Aldila RIP Phenom TP, Stiff
Fairway: Callaway FT 4 wood 16° Aldila  XVS6 "PGA Tour Only"
Hybrid: : Sonartec MD 19° Stiff Stepless steel
Irons: RSi 1 5i-AW, KBS Tour S (5.7)
Wedges: Callaway X-Tour forged 56° and Scratch 8620 60°
Putter: MannKrafted custom putter

I play the old Cleveland launcher. I have gone to the store and hit it against the latest and greatest that supposed to give me 20 more yards, but it's not so. The new drivers look prettier and have nice paint jobs but nothing amazing when it comes to performance. I have a new cobra fly z plus that someone gave me, but it's not an improvement worth a couple of hundred dollars. I'm a hard sale, in playing old Srixons i302 irons because I have not found something that just blows them out of the water. I'm looking but I just can't find them.

Ugglyputters, sorry for the late response, but I agree.  I gave up golf (due to an unhealthy addiction) six years ago and traded in a mixed set of MP-60/MP-32 and Bridgestone J38 DPCs.  The only clubs I kept were my "custom" Cameron Studio Select Newport and my Cobra HS-9 X driver. 

When I picked the game back up, I kept those two clubs in the bag, and went on the prowl for a decent set of used clubs.  First I bought a set of Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl Tours, which were nice, but I was used to forged...after a year I came across a mint set of Bridgestone J38 DPCs.  I picked them up at a great price, and they feel just as good as my old set, if not better.  I just need to do a shaft upgrade eventually. The irons and the driver meet or exceed anything I've put them up against on a launch monitor, albeit in store, produced in the past two years.  

I say all this to say that while the club ***** in me wants to buy every shiny thing I come across, there is a lot to be said for the confidence you feel looking down at a club you know you can hit well.  It'll take a lot to get any of those clubs out of my bag, along with my Callaway X Hot Tour 3 wood and the original Bobby Jones Hybrid.  I am looking forward to giving the Fly-Z+ a shot, but until then, I'll keep swinging the old tried and true clubs. 

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

I was gaming the Cobra Bio Cell, which is 2 yrs old.

I also have: Powerbilt DFX(2 yrs); Cobra Fly Z+(last year); Cobra King LTD(NEW)

What do you think about the King LTD?

-Your Average Golfer

• Like 1

Basically the MOI etc in accordance with the rules has been maxed out for some time. Mostly what any of the companies are doing now is messing around with weight placement with regards to loft and face angle. Really they are not doing anything new that us old timers have not been doing with lead tape and or hot melt for years. Look at Callaway's Gravity Chamber there is nothing new and revolutinally there. Toney Penna did it over 40 years ago with the persimmon drivers. IMHO the best improvements are in shaft technology and the technology in tuning them. To add to Rev's suggestion I would like to take some of the older heads and put universal quick fit adaptors on the shafts and test them with newer more modern shafts compaired to the newer stuff. Also keep a roll of lead tape handy to make weight corrections. The only reason I am hitting a newer Titleist driver now is because I made a smoking hot trade on it and a Nike Vapor Pro and like the shafts in both. If I had not done that trade I would be hitting my older custom Hathaway or my older Hogan CS-5

• Like 4

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I played a Titleist 909 D2 for awhile, but it wasn't low spinning enough for me so I made a switch to the SLDR 430 and saw a big improvement in distance. I've flirted with the Callaway BB Alpha 815 for more forgiveness, but I keep going back to my SLDR.

I bought the 2014 Big Bertha from Callaway back in 2013, so the old girl's not exactly new - although newer than most of the others on this particular forum. However, this is a club that can, and will, go quite long when the need or opportunity arises. There's at least 2 or 3 times per round where I hit 300yd+ drives, and I know that she can keep up with, and beat, the current crop of drivers. The current Callaway GBB, TM M2, King Cobra and XR16 aren't as long or as low spinning as my driver. The only thing that might tempt me into buying new is the M1 with the right shaft in it, but the price would have to be right, probably around AUD$400 (roughly US$300).

I got the BB 2014 recently to try to dethrone my gamer.

Took it out to the range last weekend, but unfortunately I hadn't brought any tees with me (cause I switched to a practice bag without tees), so had to use the rubber ones from mats. They were either too high or too low for my set-up.

Just a little background info: lately I've been slicing the ball like crazy off the tee (cost me about 10 strokes last tourney).

But, interestingly enough, I couldn't slice the BB 2014 *knocks on wood* 

I have the weights set at full draw, standard 9* loft and neutral

Can't wait to get back on the range and try it with a proper tee height!

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I got the BB 2014 recently to try to dethrone my gamer.

Took it out to the range last weekend, but unfortunately I hadn't brought any tees with me (cause I switched to a practice bag without tees), so had to use the rubber ones from mats. They were either too high or too low for my set-up.

Just a little background info: lately I've been slicing the ball like crazy off the tee (cost me about 10 strokes last tourney).

But, interestingly enough, I couldn't slice the BB 2014 *knocks on wood* 

I have the weights set at full draw, standard 9* loft and neutral

Can't wait to get back on the range and try it with a proper tee height!

A constant slice was the reason why I went to my Bertha in the first place. The problem is that now I tend to hit a baby draw to hook with the driver. I've been to a club fitter, who's suggested an Adilla Rogue stiff shaft that's heavier and less torquey than my Fubuki shaft. 

The weights in my driver are in full Fade position.

• Like 1

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X

A constant slice was the reason why I went to my Bertha in the first place. The problem is that now I tend to hit a baby draw to hook with the driver. I've been to a club fitter, who's suggested an Adilla Rogue stiff shaft that's heavier and less torquey than my Fubuki shaft. 

The weights in my driver are in full Fade position.

My current Adams has the Fubuki alpha which is a great fit for me. For the BB I got it with the Fubuki ZT. It feels a lot softer than the alpha, though.

I hooked a couple of them, but I have the driver set at full draw. Should that become a problem, I'll set it neutral and see what happens.

I tried the Rogue on my pro's 915D and it definitely felt boardier.

But the BB is really a great option for less than $100 right now.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

What do you think about the King LTD?

-Your Average Golfer

I am enamored with it, but still seem to get more consistency from the Bio Cell....this will prob be a summer long trial.

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I am enamored with it, but still seem to get more consistency from the Bio Cell....this will prob be a summer long trial.

I actually demoed it today at the local golf shop in town. That thing is a bomber! I still love my Vapor Fly though.

-Your Average Golfer

• Like 1

I tried it at a demo day last month and loved it. It was a toss up between that and the bb alpha 816 dbd. They both had the same trajectory and distance wise about the same. I usually carry 250-260 with my xcg7 beta and both seemed much longer. I actually just bought the bb alpha 815 dbd with the hope that it is close enough to the 816.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

That's true. I swear I never hit any driver better than my original Bertha.... I feel the same about my 14 year old Hogan Irons. Only give those up for another set of Hogans

• Like 2