Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver shafts

Hi Im looking to purchase a new driver and have tried the M2 with good results but I'm thinking the shafts they sell as standard may not be the best for me to get further distance but maintaining ball control. Currently off 6 handicap

Swing speed is around 100 and ideal loft is around 10.5 degrees.

Can anyone point me in right direction for a second hand shaft that may be worth looking out for.

Thanks

This is such a tough question to answer because different shafts produce different results for different people. What fits one person with a 100 mph swing speed and that driver loft might be terrible for you. You need to find a custom fitter. To even began to answer your question, we would need to know other factors such as your spin numbers, launch angle, how aggresive your transition is, normal ball flight, etc. Even if we knew all that, our answers will mostly be educated guesses, because because one shaft does not fit every type of golfer, but if you can provide more details we will be happy to offer a few shaft recommendations that may fit you. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

This is such a tough question to answer because different shafts produce different results for different people. What fits one person with a 100 mph swing speed and that driver loft might be terrible for you. You need to find a custom fitter. To even began to answer your question, we would need to know other factors such as your spin numbers, launch angle, how aggresive your transition is, normal ball flight, etc. Even if we knew all that, our answers will mostly be educated guesses, because because one shaft does not fit every type of golfer, but if you can provide more details we will be happy to offer a few shaft recommendations that may fit you.

So so true. Transition is such a huge factor in shaft fitting, but cannot be measured by swing speed. A custom fitter should really be consulted, especially with the big dog.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Hi Im looking to purchase a new driver and have tried the M2 with good results but I'm thinking the shafts they sell as standard may not be the best for me to get further distance but maintaining ball control. Currently off 6 handicap

Swing speed is around 100 and ideal loft is around 10.5 degrees.

Can anyone point me in right direction for a second hand shaft that may be worth looking out for.

Thanks

you can get great deals on new and pullout shafts from Dallas Golf. I play an Oban Revenge R at 64g. Look at an Oban. Saying that, it's hard to beat Fujikura or Graphite Design.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree on a fitting.

None of us can suggest you into a good fitting shaft. All we can see are the words you type.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Echoing a bit with the others above, until the end.  I'll mark it with ***

If you love the M2, and are going to spend the money to get a shiny new shaft, get a fitting.  I cannot stress that enough.

I would certainly recommend getting it all done at the fitters.  You don't have to buy it all there, but even if it cost $200 more, the confidence and (just as important) the reassurance that you have the right club and shaft is worth it.

I say this out of experience.  I've spent probably $200 and countless hours just trying and returning clubs over the last two years, when I should have just bit the bullet and went in for a fitting.

Now that I have, my driver is the straightest club in my bag.  Saving up for an iron/wedge/putter fitting next.

All that said... if you are looking at saving a bit of dough, you'll probably want to get more statistics.  Most courses have access to a Trackman.  You'll want to get as much data as possible (your attack angle, in to out, ball trajectory, stats on your speed [you state you are ≈ 100 mph, is that out of 10 swings?  100?]).  Once you have all of that juicy data, you could probably post it and ask the same question on reputable sites such as this one :) as well as reddit and (if you want to get beat up a bit), post it on golfwrx :D .

You could probably give all that data to a fitter, and without the cost of a fitting, they could point you in the direction of the right shaft for your M2.  They probably even have used shafts.

Cheers.

Also, where do you live?  I'll bet we can find you an excellent place to get advice, trackman, etc. on these boards.

:cobra-small: LTD 9° Fujikura Pro XLR8 71 XS
:callaway-small: XR 3 Wood
:mizuno-small: MP-18 SC PW-3
:callaway-small: MD3 50°
:mizuno-small: T7 56°, 60°

:Snell: MTB-X

:Arccos: 

• 2 weeks later...

You might go back to the place where you tried the M2 and ask to try optional shafts offered to see if there is an improvement

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Best to just go try out a lot of shafts. Shafts are so different with different clubheads so it really depends on the combo. I have a Grafalloy shaft in my Titleist 913 that is awesome, low torque and stable. I hit that driver well. However, I bought a M1 because I thought I could get a few extra yards out of it. So, I put in the same Grafalloy shaft in it and hit it horribly. The weighting and position of weighting in a driver head affects how the shaft reacts tremendously. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

Archived