Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Suggestions for a New golf ball to play

cisdaner

I am looking for a new golf ball to put in play. I currently play either a K-sig or the new titleist prov1x. I like how both of these launch off the driver with not much spin and they carry a good distance for me. I want a ball however that will spin more around the greens (especially on 100 yard in shots with wedges) but not lose distance with woods and irons. Anybody make a recent change and have a suggestion?

Fast swing speed, natural draw ball fight.

7 handicap golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB?

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver w/ Fujikura Pro 63 TS Shift Shaft

Srixon 545 Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Lite X-Stiff- 3-PW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wedges w/ KBS 610 Wedge Shaft (50, 55, 60)

Evnroll ER5 Putter

I really like the Bridgestone Tour B330.  I actually get more distance off the tee with it than the Pro V1 and it spins really well for me around the greens.  Also, try the Callaway Chrome Soft X.  It's another good one. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Don`t over look the Srixon Z star models they offer fantastic green side control and feel really nice, Test them I prefer the Z star ball not the XV model

Chromesoft is another favourite and for the money, in my opinion, is unbeatable.

Now the new Taylormade TP5 models are slightly over priced.The quality control is right up there with the Titleist V1.

I have a tool that I push balls in, to show perfect roundness and the TP5 models and the Titleist V1 seem to have the best quality control for this.

I prefer the TP5 out of the two models it has more green side control.

I would really suggest you buy a few three packs of balls and do some on course testing,

I`m really interested in testing the Volvic s3/s4 models but have you seen the price ....Here in the UK they cost £45 for 12 balls that seems outrageous.

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

If it's pure spin you're looking for, the Srixon line would be the one to check out. Spin Skin is the real deal. However, also possible you may want to clean out your grooves or maybe get a new wedge if your current gamer is up there in age and use or maybe the strike on the wedge

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I still have some Ksigs, but I will also play the Srixon Z-Star in yellow for those gray days; easier to see.  My other choice is Snell My Tour Ball.  It's worth a look and the price is right!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Z-Star is my all time favorite as well.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Could it just be your technique and not the ball? Could it be your wedges? Both of those balls spin well enough around the green. The Pro V1x won a couple of majors this year. I can't imagine that you'd need more spin than a tour player.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If it's pure spin you're looking for, the Srixon line would be the one to check out. Spin Skin is the real deal. However, also possible you may want to clean out your grooves or maybe get a new wedge if your current gamer is up there in age and use or maybe the strike on the wedge

Wedges are about a year old, irons year and half....I clean them with a tool religiously....

I play with Srixon irons and Cleveland wedges....so the balls are definitely worth trying

WITB?

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver w/ Fujikura Pro 63 TS Shift Shaft

Srixon 545 Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Lite X-Stiff- 3-PW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wedges w/ KBS 610 Wedge Shaft (50, 55, 60)

Evnroll ER5 Putter

So much Z Star hype, I need to join the train.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Might as well. That spin skin is no joke.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

I just have sooo many ChromeSofts that I hate buying new balls unless I can find a deal. Buuuut, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do it. Gonna go with yellow.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I just have sooo many ChromeSofts that I hate buying new balls unless I can find a deal. Buuuut, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do it. Gonna go with yellow.

You will like them. I have a feeling.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

The Srixon Z-Star XV is a great ball for a cheaper price that would probably give you what you need. I prefer the Taylormade TP5 myself. I've been using that ball for a few rounds now and I'm seeing great numbers off the driver with excellent spin around the greens. I tried the TP5x as well but that one seem to spin a little too low for me. I'm also testing the Vice Pro Plus right now and it's a great ball but I think it will play very similarly to the ProV1X in that you'll get great numbers in distance from the longer clubs but it doesn't spin as much around the greens.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I'm a big fan of the new Pro V1 ball, but if you're after a slightly softer ball that offers similar distances with driver and irons, then the Callaway ChromeSofts are probably the go. Other balls to mention might be the Srixon Z-Star (I loved the XV variant), Wilson Staff Duo U (you may lose distance on this, but they feel mint) & I've heard good things about the Forte Tour Performance S (online-only ball by an Australian company).

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I know we're discussing what many consider the "premium" balls in lines, but really anything with a Urethane cover should be in your testing. If you're serious about a new ball don't limit yourself, test anything you want. There are great balls like the Q-Star Tour, Project-A, B330RX and B330RXS that don't get tour play, but are awesome all the same.

Hell, I still use the Maxfli U6 line or even the Top-Flite Gamer Tour and they perform as good as some other stuff and that are made exclusively for Dick's.

Basically I guess my gist is this. The golf ball is the one piece of equipment that doesn't change from shot to shot, so you need to find something you can fall in love with throughout the bag. Don't dismiss things out of hand, try everything and hopefully you find the exact ball that's the best match for you game.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Snell MTB ... (mic drop ...)!

Right here. Great ball at a great price. Does everything you want from a premium tour quality ball.

Also may want to consider the QStar Tour. The ball fly's higher than the ZStar with crazy spin and feels softer too, if that's something you look for in a ball.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

B330s is a good one to try if you're looking for a lot of spin and a swing speed of 100+.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 1 month later...

Had my first chance to play the Vice Pro yesterday. Thought the durability was good, even though I had heard some disparaging remarks. LOVED this ball around the greens and from 100yds ish in. Tons of spin! Didn't think I loved it off the tee (Driver) until I smoked a couple over 260 over the last few holes. Need more rounds with these, but initially, I'm a big fan!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I'm having the same problem myself. I've been playing ksigs, MG's, PV's, Chrome, TM, etc, etc. But what I'm really interested in and needing is a ball that flies straight for 300 yards, splits the fairways, checks up by the pin, misses all bunkers and hazards, and goes in for a one on all par 3's. If any of you guys know what ball that is let me know. I'd probably be willing to try out a truckload.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The season is almost over here in the Uk so the time has come to put the premium golf balls away.

With all the leaves mud and plugging it`s easier to loose balls and the greens are softer so any ball will hold.

I`ve been using three balls over the last few days testing them. Titleist trusoft, Callaway supersoft and the Wilson DX2

They all play very soft and when the temps drop low the very softcore will hopefully feel just as nice.

At the moment I can`t split them they all seem fantastic balls for the money.

I`m playing in the last singles comp of the year today and I am going with Trusoft.

I will let you chaps know over the next week or so which of the three balls stays in the bag over the winter months.

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

Like many, I'm a big fan of the Srixon Z Star line for premium play, but tbh the top tier balls all perform similarly. But for off season I'm going to be 100% Q Star Tour. It is a phenomenal ball for the money

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Snell MTB....I buy 6 dozen at a time

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Bridgestone B330.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

I just tried Taylormade TP5 love them got straighter drives in the windy days here. Also felt great off the driver and great feel around the green. Also felt soft off the putter

I am looking for a new golf ball to put in play. I currently play either a K-sig or the new titleist prov1x. I like how both of these launch off the driver with not much spin and they carry a good distance for me. I want a ball however that will spin more around the greens (especially on 100 yard in shots with wedges) but not lose distance with woods and irons. Anybody make a recent change and have a suggestion?

Fast swing speed, natural draw ball fight.

7 handicap golfer.

... I am not sure you will find a ball that spins more around the green or from 100 yds than what you are playing and fits a high swing speed player. But you should definitely try the TP5x as it carries farther than other premium balls for high swing speeds and is excellent in the wind. My new favorite ball. I switched from the Z Star (which I still love) and with around a 100+ swing speed the Z Star XV did not perform as well for me as the regular Z. But my son has a higher swing speed than I do and he loves the XV, which is the second ball I would definitely give a try. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Archived