MattF

Weight Loss Thread

On 3/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

I'm struggling- weight probably gone up- too scared to look- tummy and chest def bigger and I hate it.

I think I need to follow a simple 'plan' of foods to eat and avoid as this is no good and it's nearly mid March.

My wife and I have been tracking our intake with our Fitbit apps and then we try to make sure we expend around 500 cals more than we take in. She has been better about making sure she is eating better food, while I have primarily been focused on the amounts of food and eliminating the snacking I used to do when I get home from work. We've also joined a gym. I was 236 last spring, which is the heaviest I've ever been, and the last time I weighed myself I was at 212. My goal is to get back to the 195-200 range and stay there. I like using the Fitbit app - it's almost like electronic accountability. It's a little extra motivation to go to the gym on a really cold day when I see the bar graph shows more in than out.

• Like 3

Heading out this morning to walk several dogs at our county shelter. It takes away from my gym time however it is more than worth it to see dogs come out of their cages with a smile on their face. Oh yea and it's plenty of exercise! Have you ever harnessed up a 50+ lb pit bull who has to pee like a russian race horse and poo poo like a chicken running from a fox?! 😳 Trust me those doggies will give you PLENTY of exercise! You begin to feel like a farmer behind a stud mule who just had his butt attack by a killer bee. 😁Yea I have to hook up my big boy pants today and get ready for the rodeo... lol

• Like 4

Down to 210.4 this morning - getting closer to my <200 goal! We bought one of the fancy scales after I had lost about 10 lbs. It has been nice to track aspects besides weight, too. For example, my BMI is down from 31.7 in late July last summer to 29.5 this morning. One metric I would like to see change is my metabolic age - it has stayed steady at 56. I am only 51.

• Like 2

Looks like I have to pull my finger out, you're almost down to my weight!

Down to 210.4 this morning - getting closer to my

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Another month is in the books.   I did over 2300 sit up and push ups (of each).  I started doing more cardio last week and April will be my first full month of that.  I have a goal to bike at least 330 miles this month.  That's 11 a day.  So far I am off to a good start and tournament golf is only 35 days away. 

• Like 4

Back to the grind after 2 weeks "off". By that I mean not jumping on the scale but still somewhat watching what I was eating on vacation...the beers didn't help though.

• Like 3

It occurs to me that I can actually contribute to this thread.
I can tell you unequivocally that the steak bomb / pizza / Buffalo wings / onion rings / Guinness Stout diet
didn't work for me.
Doesn't mean you can't try it, though.

I like the effort

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

I haven’t swung a club since Dec 10 and have not really been able to do much gym work especially after the shoulder surgery. Somehow with minimal exercise I’ve stayed in the low 200’s. Probably watching what I eat and portion size better.
Started to go to gym a little more this week maybe, just maybe get under 200?

• Like 4

I haven’t swung a club since Dec 10 and have not really been able to do much gym work especially after the shoulder surgery. Somehow with minimal exercise I’ve stayed in the low 200’s. Probably watching what I eat and portion size better.
Started to go to gym a little more this week maybe, just maybe get under 200?

Struggling here. I’m not seeing positive results, and it really gets frustrating, how can I work out, cut out pop, reduce food intake, reduce sugar, yet still gain weight. I have started a new work out routine, and I have started a new food plan change. Hopefully I will start to see some better results with these new plans. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Struggling here. I’m not seeing positive results, and it really gets frustrating, how can I work out, cut out pop, reduce food intake, reduce sugar, yet still gain weight. I have started a new work out routine, and I have started a new food plan change. Hopefully I will start to see some better results with these new plans. 

If it makes you feel any better, I had a stomach virus last week and I gained 2 pounds after consuming a whopping 300 calories after a day and half.  To spin off of a popular song, these scales ain't loyal.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I went through a similar phase where I was stuck for about a month. All of a sudden 5 more pounds dropped off without any real changes in my routine. Stick with it, good things will happen. 

I told myself I was building muscle to explain the lack of weight loss. Whether that was true or not is a different story. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I think this statement is what most (all) "diets" fail to discuss...the psychological struggle of weight loss...which is very similar to golf. Golf is what, 80%-90% mental and 10%-20% physical? Weight loss is along the same lines. I've seen stats that show diets have a 5% success rate after 3 years. Diets promote this rapid weight loss and show these folks that 'lost 35lbs in 3 months!!' (which is unhealthy weight loss). Truth is, it's a slow and steady process and only those with extreme caloric restriction will see quick weight loss...only to gain it back and then some when they resume 'normal' eating habits because your body has been starved and will quickly store those additional calories as fat. Remember, a healthy week of weight loss is 1-2 lbs. That's 4-7 lbs a month. And yes, you will have setbacks. You have to allow for them. Some weeks you do great, some you don't. It's like in golf when you practice those 3-5ft putts on the practice green and only to miss the first 4 footer you face on the course. How you respond will dictate your round and similarly, your weight loss goals. Hang in their boss, your hard work will pay off. We'd all love to take a pill, kick back on the couch and watch the weight fall off, but that's fantasy. Keep us posted on your progress. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Weight loss or gain is about calories in vs calories out or as some say energy expenditure. So if you are gaining weight then you aren’t truly in a caloric deficit.  There are 3 phases to “dieting” (hate that word btw).  There’s maintenance which is self explanatory. There’s caloric deficit which is how one loses weight...eating less than ones maintenance calories. Weight gain eating more calories than needed to maintain.

weight loss is as much about the weight loss as it is about keeping it off long term.

what is your current caloric intake? What type of weight loss plan are you using? What’s your workout routine (type of weight training and cardio and how many days and for how long each session?)

• Like 2

I think this statement is what most (all) "diets" fail to discuss...the psychological struggle of weight loss...which is very similar to golf. Golf is what, 80%-90% mental and 10%-20% physical? Weight loss is along the same lines. I've seen stats that show diets have a 5% success rate after 3 years. Diets promote this rapid weight loss and show these folks that 'lost 35lbs in 3 months!!' (which is unhealthy weight loss). Truth is, it's a slow and steady process and only those with extreme caloric restriction will see quick weight loss...only to gain it back and then some when they resume 'normal' eating habits because your body has been starved and will quickly store those additional calories as fat. Remember, a healthy week of weight loss is 1-2 lbs. That's 4-7 lbs a month. And yes, you will have setbacks. You have to allow for them. Some weeks you do great, some you don't. It's like in golf when you practice those 3-5ft putts on the practice green and only to miss the first 4 footer you face on the course. How you respond will dictate your round and similarly, your weight loss goals. Hang in their boss, your hard work will pay off. We'd all love to take a pill, kick back on the couch and watch the weight fall off, but that's fantasy. Keep us posted on your progress. 

I really like this - I’m holding steady at 165 after taking 9 months to loose the 45 lbs that got me there. The first two months I lost 15 lbs. The loss slowed after that.

I’m still in the process of reshaping my body even if I’m not loosing weight. I find that I need goals to keep the weight off and also experiment with what I can and can’t eat.

It’s a rest of my life process but I’m very happy with where I’m at.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, revkev said:

I really like this - I’m holding steady at 165 after taking 9 months to loose the 45 lbs that got me there. The first two months I lost 15 lbs. The loss slowed after that.

I’m still in the process of reshaping my body even if I’m not loosing weight. I find that I need goals to keep the weight off and also experiment with what I can and can’t eat.

It’s a rest of my life process but I’m very happy with where I’m at.

The bolded is why I hate the word diet. Diets fail because 1) they are too restrictive (think no carbs, clean food, etc) 2) there’s a goal weight to get to and it’s not always easy but then there’s no plan on how to keep the weight off (something I struggled with after my weight cut in 2016-2017) and therefore people gain it all back and many times more than they lost.

its a lifestyle choice and when done right keeping the weight off.  

Can you explain more on the “what I can and can’t eat”? I ask because I’m a firm believe in macro counting and calories in vs calories out and therefore there is no food off limits 

• Like 3

I want to share my weight loss journey, so excuse my while I hammer out this longish post 

I'll preface this by saying a few things. First, my opinion on this stuff is based on my experiences. Second, I've been active for as long as I can remember including doing a couple bodybuilding shows a little over 20 years ago. And lastly, growing up I was always a chubby kid and that followed me as I grew up. 

@RickyBobby_PR and I have been friends for a few years, and at some point in 2015 we were talking about fitness and nutrition. During that conversation, he mentioned IIFYM or flexible nutrition, which I was not familiar with. To give everyone a bit more context, over the years I had dabbled with a number of weight loss 'schemes'. Body for Life (lost 30 pounds), Isagenix (lost 20 pounds), keto (before it was mainstream, lost 25 pounds), relying on 'fat burners',  and more that I can't remember at the moment. I kind of posted about this in another thread, but I think there comes a time in everyone's life when they reach a point that becomes a catalyst for change. The aforementioned conversation was not that moment for me, but mine was in early December 2016. I was in grad school and I got up to get ready for class and was doing my usual morning routine. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and started tearing up. In my mind, I looked and felt like crap and it was that exact moment that I decided to do something about it. I reached out to the trainer RBPR had mentioned back in 2015 and got to work. Long story short, from December 2016 to September 2017 I lost 60 pounds (235 to 175) and dropped 18% body fat (28% to 10%) along the way. This was accomplished primarily via tracking my macros with MyFitnessPal along with some weight training and cardio mixed in. Hell, towards the end (probably around the 185 point) I wasn't even doing cardio. Since then, I reversed (increased my calories) and got back up to 200 over the course of ONE YEAR. I've expressed this before to those close to me, but going the route I did literally saved my life because I was not in a good place from a health perspective. The one thing I learned along the way is that the 'quick fix' doesn't work LONG TERM. And it was mentioned a few posts up, but the mental part of weight loss cannot be understated. Because I guarantee almost everyone who has tried to lose weight gets caught up in what the scale reads at some point, which usually results in them quitting. Sustainable weight loss is all about having the long view, because if you're shortsighted , you're going to get caught in the yo-yo dieting cycle, which is not a good place to be. 

Now, am I saying flexible nutrition is the only way to lose weight? Nope. It worked for me, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. What I do know is if you're not in a caloric deficit, you're not going to lose weight and that's just the simplified view of it. For sure, there can be other elements that make weight loss more challenging for some than it is for others, but I truly believe if you find a nutritional approach that works for you and you're consistent with it, you can lose weight. Consistency is your homeboy when it comes to this stuff. It's not always sexy, you're not going to see the scale drop every time you step on it and to be honest, you're not always going to feel good doing it. But understanding the dedication that it takes to lose weight is a necessary first step to doing it the right way. Everyone's path is going to be different, but I believe anyone can achieve sustainable weight loss if they put their mind to it. There's a ton of legitimate, FREE information out there on the interwebz related to some of the stuff I've mentioned and it has been helpful in dispelling myths and helping me better understand some of the 'why' behind fat loss. And ironically enough, none of that literature mentions the power of celery juice 😜

To those of you pursuing weight loss, let me encourage you to be patient and realize that the scale is only one part of the story!   

EDIT: Added my progress chart from MFP to highlight the fact that weight loss is not a straight path!

IMG_1944.PNG

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Can you explain more on the “what I can and can’t eat”? I ask because I’m a firm believe in macro counting and calories in vs calories out and therefore there is no food off limits 

So far, I have managed to lose about 25 pounds (goal is < 200 pounds, so I have about 10 pounds to go) strictly doing the cals out vs cals in without too much thinking about what made up those calories (I haven't really changed what I eat, just the amount and making sure I exercise enough to offset it). In that regard, tracking what and how much I eat with the Fitbit app and comparing the output has been very, very helpful for me.

My wife is constantly encouraging me to add more fruits and veggies to my meals, which I admittedly need to do, but so far tracking strictly in vs out has been working for me.

• Like 3

Been on vacation for the last 4 days with my family and a few days left.  Certainly eating out more and not quite as well as I normally would, but proud that I am still taking the time to work out and haven't gone completely off track with my diet.  Have ran about 9 miles and just lifted some weights.  Good luck to everyone as they keep going into the warmer months.

• Like 1

I will try to answer the questions asked, hopefully I don’t miss any. Back in January we joined a gym. You know typical New Years stuff. We were going to the gym 4 days. I am 265lbs. 6’4”, so I don’t look “overweight”, but I am. I am really looking for this to be a change for long term, and I really don’t want to watch the scale. After going to the gym for almost 3 months I feel better and stronger, but I just don’t see it. I stepped on the scale and boom, I had gained about 5 lbs. then the feeling of doubt enters and frustration sets in. I felt like I needed to change my “diet”, not go on a diet, just change how I eat,  track it better, also change up my workout routine. I would like to lose some weight, but I don’t have to lose 50 lbs to meet a goal. 

I am currently keeping track of my caloric intake, and I am doing more weight training. I am still doing some cardio, but adding the weight training instead of just doing more cardio. So I’ve found a workout routine that is for beginner training that I will do for a month or so, then I will move into an intermediate training program. I am really trying to do healthier things, but it really gets hard when you can’t see visible results. Doing something is better than doing nothing. I am going to keep at it, and one day I will see the results of the work I put in. 

• Like 3