Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Backstopping

bens197

I don’t see any issue here and the chances of executing that and hitting ariya’s ball on purpose aren’t real high. Both were off the green and ready to play. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It's never about whether there is intent to hit the ball: obviously, she'd rather it go in the hole. The key is that by having the ball there, there is a potential advantage. The rule is breached at that point. In this case, that advantage was realized.

By the rules, they clearly should have been assessed two shots each. I wouldn't be opposed to their being DQ'd.

IMG_20190222_153146.jpg

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

This was a bad look for both the players and the tour. 

I can understand this being no big deal if it is a round among friends and they decided to not mark the ball to help speed up play.

In the case of a professional event, I think you have to mark the ball in order to be fair to yourself and fellow competitors.  The optics of this situation appear to be a clear case of backstopping, and a penalty should have been enforced.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

It's never about whether there is intent to hit the ball: obviously, she'd rather it go in the hole. The key is that by having the ball there, there is a potential advantage. The rule is breached at that point. In this case, that advantage was realized.
By the rules, they clearly should have been assessed two shots each. I wouldn't be opposed to their being DQ'd.
IMG_20190222_153146.jpg.cb39ac80690d41a4c63d04e2ca653690.jpg
I sort of disagree but for the same reason that you've posted. The rule has no language regarding potential. It says agree to leave a ball in place to help a player. Is that what happened here? It looked to me as if Ariya was attempting to mark and was waved off by Amy. That did not look like Ariya agreeing to help. I think there's a stronger argument to be made that Amy intentionally had her NOT mark in order to gain assistance but that would be a penalty only on Amy instead of both of them.
And tbh as bad as it looks if the entire incident actually was completely accidental then their body language afterward looks spot on.
More than anything I think it puts a spotlight on yet another poorly worded rule that's almost impossible to apply. Would be better to mark no balls until all players are on the green and let the bounces fall where they may. You can't go the other way and mark all balls that could assist in any way because then how far away do you stop?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

IMG_20190222_153146.jpg

I kind of disagree too. I think that the rule says that the ball is left in place with the intent to help. It sounds as though the ball was left in place for pace of play, not for the purpose of backstopping. The wording that makes me think it isn't a breach is, "...agree to leave a ball in place on the putting green to help any player..." It doesn't seem like that was the case. 

Also, I agree with @gaussman1 that this is another poorly worded rule, open for interpretation. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

IMG_20190222_153146.jpg.cb39ac80690d41a4c63d04e2ca653690.jpg
It says they agree to "leave the ball to help a player".... Whereas I thought they left a ball to speed up play. They can't prove the intent of that ball left there was to "help a player".

I highly doubt any players talk before the round about backstopping for each other during the round... Which is why I think the whole point is mute.... Unless there's actual conversation of "yeah, leave it there to stop my ball", how can they be penalized? It doesn't happen often. I can't remember the last time I saw or heard about it happening in a tournament. I love golf on TV. I can't stand some of the folks watching it. Thankfully callers have been muted.... But the controversial issues continue in other manners.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Clearly, Amy wanted the ball to stay on the green.  Anyone would, as it doesn't hurt and has potential to help.  It's Ariya's duty to protect the field by not providing assistance to Amy, even if not intentional. By not marking her ball, she gave tacit approval.  She should not have asked and marked her ball, and the pace of play reason is weak.  How long does it take to walk 50 feet?  She could have done that while Amy was taking her practice swings.

I agree that the rule could be better worded, but it seems a violation to me.  If Amy had said, "Just leave the ball there, I can use it."  How is that any different?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

13 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Clearly, Amy wanted the ball to stay on the green.  Anyone would, as it doesn't hurt and has potential to help.  It's Ariya's duty to protect the field by not providing assistance to Amy, even if not intentional. By not marking her ball, she gave tacit approval.  She should not have asked and marked her ball, and the pace of play reason is weak.  How long does it take to walk 50 feet?  She could have done that while Amy was taking her practice swings.

I agree that the rule could be better worded, but it seems a violation to me.  If Amy had said, "Just leave the ball there, I can use it."  How is that any different?

I agree with all of this.  It is inconceivable to me that either player could NOT see that the ball in place could help Amy.  Ariya SHOULD have protected the field by insisting that she lift her ball.  Assuming Amy has ANY integrity, she should have asked Ariya to lift her ball.  Neither happened, both are at fault.  And if they were playing in a threeball, the third player was just as much at fault for not requiring Ariya to lift her ball.

Based on what I've seen and read, the Tour players don't understand the rule, and don't care to apply it to each other.  I think its time for the fans to start shouting "Mark it, mark it!" whenever a ball comes to rest that close.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Here's Olson's response; 

“We had waited on 18th tee, for 10 minutes in 18th fairway and Michelle (Wie) was waiting for a ruling,” Olson wrote. “To help pace of play, Ariya and I went before Michelle even though she was out. Ariya’s ball was not in my intended line and to help move things along, I told her it was fine. I had never even heard of the back-stopping issue as I don’t really watch PGA golf that much and it hasn’t been an issue on the LPGA. My intention was to help pace of play. Obviously with everything that has gone down I think we all (especially me) will be more conscious of it and I will have EVERYONE mark anything remotely close to the hole now.”

Olson reached out to the LPGA first thing Saturday morning (in Thailand) and was told there would be no penalty.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

8 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Here's Olson's response; 

“We had waited on 18th tee, for 10 minutes in 18th fairway and Michelle (Wie) was waiting for a ruling,” Olson wrote. “To help pace of play, Ariya and I went before Michelle even though she was out. Ariya’s ball was not in my intended line and to help move things along, I told her it was fine. I had never even heard of the back-stopping issue as I don’t really watch PGA golf that much and it hasn’t been an issue on the LPGA. My intention was to help pace of play. Obviously with everything that has gone down I think we all (especially me) will be more conscious of it and I will have EVERYONE mark anything remotely close to the hole now.”

Olson reached out to the LPGA first thing Saturday morning (in Thailand) and was told there would be no penalty.

I find it hard to believe that neither player had any concept of protecting the field, and both were unaware of the issue from the Jimmy Walker interview last summer, but I'm not going to label her a liar.  It is NOT hard to believe that professional golfers are unaware of the rules, that is pretty common.  At least she says she will be sure it doesn't happen going forward, which is more than anyone else has said so far.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

30 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If it had been on the PGA Tour and involved Rickie Fowler, there would be a penalty.  😀

Nah, the men have this act perfected.  They don't look at each other, so there's "obviously" no agreement.  The mistake Ariya made was to look at Amy, gesture, and then stop.  If she just leaves the ball there and turns to her caddie, while Amy plays, we'd have a much harder time claiming they agreed.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

52 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Nah, the men have this act perfected.  They don't look at each other, so there's "obviously" no agreement.  The mistake Ariya made was to look at Amy, gesture, and then stop.  If she just leaves the ball there and turns to her caddie, while Amy plays, we'd have a much harder time claiming they agreed.  

🙄  I was referring to Rickie's recent "luck" with rules.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

🙄  I was referring to Rickie's recent "luck" with rules.  

Maybe Rickie flunked Anatomy in school and got his bones confused .....shoulder...knee. etc. 😂

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Very few tour players exhibit much knowledge of the rules. Even the most basic it seems. Personally, I think it was an innocent act with Amy and the other player and at the same time perhaps their ignorance of the rules or a thought of field protection. I don't think Amy was looking to back-stop it. And what are the odds that even if that was her 'intent" that she'd pull it off? There wasn't any "collusion". LOL

But what about approach shots? Yeah I know that's a stretch. But I've personally hit approaches from the fairway and hit someone's ball or vice versa. I've seen it work out good and bad. I've seen it on TV before several times too. Hell, the pros hit a ton of less than full wedges, etc all the time with balls in close proximity of the hole. I rarely have seen them ask for a ball to be marked. Are they planning on a backstop? No.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

2 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Very few tour players exhibit much knowledge of the rules. Even the most basic it seems. Personally, I think it was an innocent act with Amy and the other player and at the same time perhaps their ignorance of the rules or a thought of field protection. I don't think Amy was looking to back-stop it. And what are the odds that even if that was her 'intent" that she'd pull it off? There wasn't any "collusion". LOL

But what about approach shots? Yeah I know that's a stretch. But I've personally hit approaches from the fairway and hit someone's ball or vice versa. I've seen it work out good and bad. I've seen it on TV before several times too. Hell, the pros hit a ton of less than full wedges, etc all the time with balls in close proximity of the hole. I rarely have seen them ask for a ball to be marked. Are they planning on a backstop? No.

In my view, the LPGA did what it had to do, they followed the letter of the rule.  To do anything else, they would have to say that both women were lying about their reason for leaving the ball there.  Whether we call it collusion, I don't know, but they appeared to communicate, and to agree to leave ti in place.  As I said in another post, last year the rule only required that the ball be in that position, and an agreement to leave it there, no matter the reason for the agreement.  That, and the penalty was DQ.

I think the idea of a ball being in position to help a player has to do with the position of both balls.  In this case, I'd bet that 80% or more of Amy's efforts from that spot would be within 2 feet of the hole, some left, some right.  Based on that, there was a realistic possibility that her shot would hit Ariya's ball.  Their motivation COULD have been to allow the possibility that Amy would get that help.  If the second player is even 40 or 50 yards away, or further, the probability of hitting the ball that close to the intended line is much lower, so the probability of getting "help" becomes a minor factor.  This is one of those concepts that defy a detailed definition in the rules.

I'll be interested to see what commentary we hear from the R&A (who has jurisdiction in Asia, I think).  The rule was changed, and now a penalty hinges on the reason for the agreement.  If that is what they intended, they should say so.  If not, they should reword the rule, or issue a clarification.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Her interview yesterday she stated they waited 5 minutes on the tee, 10 minutes in the fairway on 18 so pace of play imo is valid because the group(s) behind them are then having to wait. 

She mentioned she didn’t hit a good chip and also had no idea about backstopping.

if amy had made that comment then the intent is there but since she didn’t it’s not a violation and it wasn’t in her intended line so she didn’t think it would play a role 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived