Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Whats up with Chevron getting World ranking points

Pickerjohn

Who authorizes events getting World ranking points?

The Chevron is an after season charity event with

18 invited players. I know its because TW asked for

them and got them, but does the PGA Tour think its going

to be a "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" kind

of thing where TW will play in some PGA Tour events that

need help, they are going to be let down big time,

he ain't gonna do it. Maybe we can give Wendy's 3 Tour Challenge

the same WRP's status.

Adams 9064LS 10.5 R.I.P. Reg. gold eye

Cleveland DST 3 wood (17) Redboard Reg.

Clevelamd DST 7 wood Redboard Reg.

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW Nippon Pro 950 R + 1/2"

Scratch 53* DS

Scratch 60* SS

Cleveland Classic 2 Putter 35

Ping Anser Putter

Scotty Studio Select Newport ( for trade )

Kinda looking for some Srixon 701 Tour heads

Addias Stand bag

Ping USA Staff bag

Srixon TriSpeed Tour & Titleist Pro V1X & Srixon Z Star X

The PGA Tour recognizes it as an unofficial money event, and this is the second year of it being a tournament that offers OWGR points. Why? I don't know for sure, but it offers a lot of money and actually has a very elite field, albeit is very small one.

If you think about it, if they were to expand it to 30 people, there's a decent chance that it would have a deeper field that the TOUR Championship.

So, in the end, I don't really know, I'm just sort of trying to rationalize it.

Maybe because it has many of the top players in the world in the field....or maybe it's just because TW needs them since he's going to loose so many after his bad 2010 season.LOL. You say you know TW asked for them do you have proof of that or is that just speculation? Obviously your against Tiger getting points but are you against Westwood getting points on the other side of the pond? I mean nobody expected TW to win and get winner points (if he wins) and now that he's all got but got it wrapped up you bring it up. Why not mention this before Tiger is leading by 4 shots with one round left. Just curious?

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Maybe because it has many of the top players in the world in the field....or maybe it's just because TW needs them since he's going to loose so many after his bad 2010 season.LOL. You say you know TW asked for them do you have proof of that or is that just speculation? Obviously your against Tiger getting points but are you against Westwood getting points on the other side of the pond? I mean nobody expected TW to win and get winner points (if he wins) and now that he's all got but got it wrapped up you bring it up. Why not mention this before Tiger is leading by 4 shots with one round left. Just curious?

Probably because like the rest of us he didn't know. To be fair though I didn't think there were ranking points available at Sun City either. I just assumed they were off season cash grabs.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Probably because like the rest of us he didn't know. To be fair though I didn't think there were ranking points available at Sun City either. I just assumed they were off season cash grabs.

Didn't know what, that Tiger was leading the Tourney or that OWR points were being given? Well that's my point. There no thread bashing Lee Westwood getting OWR points for a field that only has 12 players. I mean what's fair is fair. It just seems that everyone and anyone who is on the Tiger hate wagon will find any way to bash him for something that's totally ridiculous. Like Tiger asked for the OWR points. COME ON! When do you suppose Tiger went to the PGA and said hey PGA I want OWR points for The Chevron tourney? Now if you give me the points I'll play in those lower tier events to draw some revenue for the PGA, like the OP has pointed out in his attempt to make Tiger look bad. It gets old after a while so I took the opposite side on this thread. I knew the other Tourney was getting OWR points. Not because I knew it for a fact, but when the TV announcer stated on Thursday when both Tourney's started that Lee Westwood would have to finish 2ND or better to retain his #1 ranking if Tiger woods won the Chevron. I didn't care about points I cared to watch the Chevron because I personally was hoping for Tiger to play well. I just find the timing of the post very suspicious. I'll bet 10 to 1 this post would have never come up if Tiger finished in the middle of the pack and nothing was mentioned about Tiger possibly regaining his #1 ranking. If the question was just about why does this tourney get OWR points that would be one thing, but to turn it into a Tiger Woods bashing thread is another. It's old news when are the Tiger haters going to give it up? Just curious, it's kind of lame.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I heard them mention during the telecast that McDowells showing last year

springboarded him to a new level in World Ranking and got to thinking about it.

It was also mentioned somewhere that many of the players wouldn't bother to

come if not for the points. I don't know that TW himself asked for the points,

but if he didn't then I imagine IMG did, who else would have, maybe Chevron.

I am a huge fan of TW's golf game, and don't really always blame him for

how things work out, he never had a chance to be normal from childhood. But

I can admire his game withour feeling one way or another about his personal life.

Just saying if the PGA Tour is looking for a Quid Pro, they shouldn't.

Adams 9064LS 10.5 R.I.P. Reg. gold eye

Cleveland DST 3 wood (17) Redboard Reg.

Clevelamd DST 7 wood Redboard Reg.

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW Nippon Pro 950 R + 1/2"

Scratch 53* DS

Scratch 60* SS

Cleveland Classic 2 Putter 35

Ping Anser Putter

Scotty Studio Select Newport ( for trade )

Kinda looking for some Srixon 701 Tour heads

Addias Stand bag

Ping USA Staff bag

Srixon TriSpeed Tour & Titleist Pro V1X & Srixon Z Star X

It was also mentioned somewhere that many of the players wouldn't bother to

come if not for the points. I don't know that TW himself asked for the points,

but if he didn't then I imagine IMG did, who else would have, maybe Chevron.

Or maybe the OWGR people just decided to give the tournament points? Who knows, speculation is pointless.

As for your first point that quoted, it's probably more for the money than the points. This tournament offers about as much money as a regular tournament would, but it's only 18 players, and no cut.

Archived