Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
Har in the Hat

Wedges and matching to your iron set

I use C-Taper 130s in my irons. I’ve tried to use the S+ 125s before and they felt good, but I don’t think that it did much for the spin. In my last set I put KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 in the X flex and I noticed the softer tip, but not much more spin than before. I bought some RTX-4s with just the standard S400 Tour issues and they feel similar to the hi-Revs, but I’m definitely seeing more spin. That might just be the wedge head, but the difference has been noticeable.
I’m standard length on all my irons and wedges and I’m one up on the irons and standard on the wedges. I felt like I pulled fewer wedges when they were just a little flatter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

On 12/1/2018 at 10:35 AM, deejaid said:

I did that just as a continuation of the design philosophy of the TK15 wedges. Terry Koehler advocates the different shape of the TK wedges is to allow for better ball flight on full swings, so, my thinking was that I should keep the 1/2” increments between wedges, just like my irons. With that many wedges though, I realized my 59* and 63* wedges would be getting pretty short if I went with the 1/2” increments so I decided on 1/4” increments.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:05 PM, Mr_Theoo said:

In my wedges I have X flex c-tapers but instead of the wedge shaft I used the 8i shaft. Basically it makes it a spinner shaft. 

On 12/1/2018 at 8:14 PM, BIG STU said:

IRight now I am experimenting with a Callaway PM grind that I reground by hand filing the sole and reweighting. I am not really fond of KBS wedge shafts but in this head it seems to work fine. I did the regrind to mimic the neutral sole grind of a Macgregor wedge I have. Most of my wedges I have the lie at 65*

On 12/1/2018 at 8:17 PM, BIG STU said:

Yep that is called "Tiger Stepping" Tiger made that famous. That thing will really kick and spin especially with a DG shaft. Basically that is a soft step x 2 or double soft stepping. I have not tried that trick YET with a KBS but you got the experimental train rolling I will try it soon

Guys

The wealth of information that one can get from a forum and the intelligence within is amazing. You guys are 👩‍🎓👩‍🎓👩‍🎓

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 11:14 PM, Har in the Hat said:

Guys

The wealth of information that one can get from a forum and the intelligence within is amazing. You guys are 👩‍🎓👩‍🎓👩‍🎓

Thanks man-- To be honest mine I feel is from experience and piddling with clubs especially wedges over the years. I am a wedge ho--- Trust me I have had my Turkeys too and have a staff bag full of failed experiment wedges--- I am lucky that I do work for a metal recycling company and pick up a lot of clubs really cheap. Sometimes it takes me a while to get a club right unless I screw it up first. That before mentioned Cally wedge I have been messing with it on and off for a year

• Love 1

On 12/16/2018 at 11:14 PM, Har in the Hat said:

Guys

Yes, this is all crazy good information.

As I'm finally paying attention to my golf game, I really went through a lot of studying before making my last purchase on wedges. My C300s stop at a 48* gap wedge, and after some conversation with jlukes in another thread, I decided to start with a 54* and 60* setup starting out. Someday I may go to 52/56/60, but I think for my purposes and goals this will work just fine.

The C300s are a little long to begin with (1/2", I think), but I looked up the specs for the optional SW (35.50") and had both the 54* and 60* built to that length by Golfworks, using KBS Hi-Rev regular shafts. I don't anticipate hitting too many full on shots, and somewhere I read Tom Wishon actually advocates going softer in flex for most wedges, so hopefully this all works out. I may need to tinker with some counterweighting as these wedges are going to come in around D8 swingweight, which is six points higher than the GW and all of the other irons in the set.

The idea of "Tiger stepping" seems like something worth experimenting with, and is certainly something I'd consider in the future.

irons are Modus tour 105's in 'S'

wedges I chose as they are forged and I chose by loft. Shafts are Regular as they 'felt' better plus I dont swing as hard with wedges.

/disclaimer...I am cr*p with wedges 🙄 , have been for years. Just booked lessons to sort that out as it's costing me big time on the course

I play my wedges with wedge flex shafts standard length but 1 degree flatter than my irons.  My irons are +1/2" and 1 degree flat.  Never considered putting the same shafts in the wedges as my irons but something to consider when I replace my SM6s.  

irons are Modus tour 105's in 'S'
wedges I chose as they are forged and I chose by loft. Shafts are Regular as they 'felt' better plus I dont swing as hard with wedges.

/disclaimer...I am cr*p with wedges  , have been for years. Just booked lessons to sort that out as it's costing me big time on the course
I'm playing the same shafts in my irons. Debating ordering some glide stealth wedges in modus 120 regular flex. Still contemplating lofts

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There’s a bunch of pros who play x100 shafts in irons and s400 in their wedges. Others have one brand in their irons and a different brand and weight in wedges.  It really comes down to what each person wants to do.  As I contemplate going back to recoils I’ll have 110s in my irons and wedge proto 125s from gw thru lw