Shankster

Sunset Beach / Myrtle Beach Best Golf?

Our Sponsors

Haven't played any of the Myrtle Beach area courses in well over 20 years .... played a lot of them when I lived in Mount Pleasant/Charleston SC and had yearly outings with a group for several years after that.  Don't remember most of the ones I played, but The Witch and The Warlock stick out in my head.  

• Like 2

I remember the Witch, not bad from what I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Haven't played any of the Myrtle Beach area courses in well over 20 years .... played a lot of them when I lived in Mount Pleasant/Charleston SC and had yearly outings with a group for several years after that.  Don't remember most of the ones I played, but The Witch and The Warlock stick out in my head.  

You mean the Wizard don't you?  Wizard and Man O War are right beside of each other. The Witch is a nice layout built in a swamp. But in the summer no air moves and it gets as hot as Hades and the insects will carry you off. Like I said I love the layout but the environment it is in uggh!  when we play it we play in the late fall. Wizard and Man O War are two of the few courses with bent greens and they are always in good shape. Only drawback to those 2 courses lately they seem to draw either the wedding party crowds full of drunks and loud music on the course. The one mixed group of the NY Boys and some others all of us had member cards but dropped them last year due to the type of clientele the seem to be gearing towards now. I guess it is Business 101 they would rather have drunks at $65+ a round consuming $200 or more worth of alcohol a round than locals buying a $50 yearly membership and paying $35 per round. All 3 courses are owned by the same people and called the Mystical Group 

• Like 2

You mean the Wizard don't you?  Wizard and Man O War are right beside of each other. The Witch is a nice layout built in a swamp. But in the summer no air moves and it gets as hot as Hades and the insects will carry you off. Like I said I love the layout but the environment it is in uggh!  when we play it we play in the late fall. Wizard and Man O War are two of the few courses with bent greens and they are always in good shape. Only drawback to those 2 courses lately they seem to draw either the wedding party crowds full of drunks and loud music on the course. The one mixed group of the NY Boys and some others all of us had member cards but dropped them last year due to the type of clientele the seem to be gearing towards now. I guess it is Business 101 they would rather have drunks at $65+ a round consuming $200 or more worth of alcohol a round than locals buying a $50 yearly membership and paying $35 per round. All 3 courses are owned by the same people and called the Mystical Group 

I remember Man O War and I didn’t care for it.
I did like the Witch but luckily only played in MB Cool months, usually February/March.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I've played both of those, as well.  Maybe Warlock was misspoken.  Like I said....been a long time since I played that area.  When I lived in SC, we used to play everywhere from Hilton Head to Myrtle Beach every Thursday (sometimes 2 courses per trip) on the Heart Association card.  Don't know if they still do it, but we used to be able to buy a booklet that had every public and semi-private course in the state that you could play for the cost of 1/2 cart (no greens fees).  There were sometimes time restrictions on when you could play, but it was a steal.  Book costs $30 or 4 for $100 and good for the entire year .... tax deductible, as well!

Carl I do not think they have that deal on the Grand Strand anymore. The Golf business has changed drastically here the last 10 years. A Chinese investment group called Founders International bought up 21 courses and started their own thing called the Prime Times card. They also have several vacation booking agencies too. Now I was a member until they closed my home course Indian Wells in December. I did not renew this year because it was not beneficial for me. Some of the smaller Golf Management groups along with some independent course owners banded together and started the Platinum group which has grown to 21 courses now in fact 4 of them within 2 miles of my house.  My new home course Indigo Creek is just across US 17 from my old course Indian Wells. The pro there and co owner is an old bud anyhow. We got a chuckle yesterday over the fact that now with the closing of Indian Wells the Platinum Group has more courses than the Founders Group. What you do is buy a card with different options and you get reduced rates even in the season. The drawback especially with the Founders Group is in the fall and spring seasons they give priority to the out of town package groups and sorta shunt the locals aside. Right now seems that the Platinum group is not geared that way. You also have the Legends group with 5 courses but they tend to overbook and play can be agonizingly slow. Then you have the Mystical group which I mentioned previously and why our mixed groups of 25 or so did not renew our mystical cards last year. 

We also used to have the Grand Strand Seniors Golf card which was available to any resident over 50. It was basically like the Heart Association book like you described. But it was a sham. The Association let the courses do as they darn well pleased and there were many restrictions and the courses were adding their own as they saw fit and no one said anything. I think I tried to use mine for maybe 6 months and threw it in the trash.  Golf down here prior to 08 got to be a sham for locals. Many of us took to playing out of town so to speak like the Wellman course in Johnsonville and Rolling Hills in Aynor. In 08 during the recession these courses down here darn near starved and they changed their attitude towards locals. And the times shifted all of the local lower tier courses that thrived just prior to the recession have closed now. Wellman , Rolling Hills, Island Green and Heron Point have closed along with the little 9 hole Conway Country club. The only one of that group that is being developed is Conway Country Club. Me since being displaced have basically "hung my shingle and parked my butt" at Indigo Creek. Most of the retirees of the Indian Wells bunch have migrated to the Legends group. 15 years ago I knew darn near someone at every course whether they be the Pro or assistant now I know hardly anyone. Waiting to see if it all goes to hell in a hand basket the next 20  years or so If I live that long. 

• Like 3

Carl I do not think they have that deal on the Grand Strand anymore. The Golf business has changed drastically here the last 10 years. A Chinese investment group called Founders International bought up 21 courses and started their own thing called the Prime Times card. They also have several vacation booking agencies too. Now I was a member until they closed my home course Indian Wells in December. I did not renew this year because it was not beneficial for me. Some of the smaller Golf Management groups along with some independent course owners banded together and started the Platinum group which has grown to 21 courses now in fact 4 of them within 2 miles of my house.  My new home course Indigo Creek is just across US 17 from my old course Indian Wells. The pro there and co owner is an old bud anyhow. We got a chuckle yesterday over the fact that now with the closing of Indian Wells the Platinum Group has more courses than the Founders Group. What you do is buy a card with different options and you get reduced rates even in the season. The drawback especially with the Founders Group is in the fall and spring seasons they give priority to the out of town package groups and sorta shunt the locals aside. Right now seems that the Platinum group is not geared that way. You also have the Legends group with 5 courses but they tend to overbook and play can be agonizingly slow. Then you have the Mystical group which I mentioned previously and why our mixed groups of 25 or so did not renew our mystical cards last year. 
We also used to have the Grand Strand Seniors Golf card which was available to any resident over 50. It was basically like the Heart Association book like you described. But it was a sham. The Association let the courses do as they darn well pleased and there were many restrictions and the courses were adding their own as they saw fit and no one said anything. I think I tried to use mine for maybe 6 months and threw it in the trash.  Golf down here prior to 08 got to be a sham for locals. Many of us took to playing out of town so to speak like the Wellman course in Johnsonville and Rolling Hills in Aynor. In 08 during the recession these courses down here darn near starved and they changed their attitude towards locals. And the times shifted all of the local lower tier courses that thrived just prior to the recession have closed now. Wellman , Rolling Hills, Island Green and Heron Point have closed along with the little 9 hole Conway Country club. The only one of that group that is being developed is Conway Country Club. Me since being displaced have basically "hung my shingle and parked my butt" at Indigo Creek. Most of the retirees of the Indian Wells bunch have migrated to the Legends group. 15 years ago I knew darn near someone at every course whether they be the Pro or assistant now I know hardly anyone. Waiting to see if it all goes to hell in a hand basket the next 20  years or so If I live that long. 

Indigo Creek from what I recall was pretty decent. Indian Wells and Indigo were close to our Condo in Surfside we played them often. Island Green closing was a terrible blow to a few of our friends who had bought and retired there.
My Bud in Conway is bummed about MB golf but with his son living there and a daughter an hour away he’s locked in. His wife passed away last year so at 74 he’s staying there.
We came very close to moving to MB in 2012 but chose FL.
Bird Season here is a PIA but we still with our groups of 10-30 guys get a Tee Time but sometimes not where or when we want. My biggest problem with the Birds is their disrespect of greens/fareways.
I still hate Bermuda grass

• Like 2

Alright. Let’s eliminate any directly in gator alley.

I can deal with almost any sort of land mammal, but gators?!

Is this all of them then? Haha

• Like 2

Alright. Let’s eliminate any directly in gator alley.

I can deal with almost any sort of land mammal, but gators?!

Is this all of them then? Haha

Gators want no part of you either, sometimes. IMG_0124.HEIC

• Like 2

Gators want no part of you either, sometimes. IMG_0124.HEIC

Well, I guess if we both stay in our lanes I could manage.
  • Like 2

Well, I guess if we both stay in our lanes I could manage.

Don’t walk your new dog close to ponds or water. I’m actually serious.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Indigo Creek from what I recall was pretty decent. Indian Wells and Indigo were close to our Condo in Surfside we played them often. Island Green closing was a terrible blow to a few of our friends who had bought and retired there.
My Bud in Conway is bummed about MB golf but with his son living there and a daughter an hour away he’s locked in. His wife passed away last year so at 74 he’s staying there.
We came very close to moving to MB in 2012 but chose FL.
Bird Season here is a PIA but we still with our groups of 10-30 guys get a Tee Time but sometimes not where or when we want. My biggest problem with the Birds is their disrespect of greens/fareways.
I still hate Bermuda grassemoji33.png

Indigo in recent years has become a borderline Goat Track. They closed the summer before last to re do the greens but from what I heard ran out of money. right now the greens are in bad shape but putt better than they look. I like the layout and it is a fun course to play and I like the atmosphere of being more or less a locals course. And yes most of us locals have the same problems with the tourists and snowbirds that you guys in Florida have for the same reasons. I grew up on Bermuda grass so no problem for me. Island Green was a fun little track to play. I almost took a bath there because we almost bought one of those little hexagon houses there. The only reason we did not was because the bubble head real estate agent pissed us off because she was so dim witted and we walked. What most of the problem at Island Green was that there are 6 different HOAs in the area and there was a dispute on access to the course. In fact I was involved with a group that wanted to buy it after the latest closing. I was going to be the GM. They got into so much dispute with the 6 HOAs that the main 2 money men pulled out. The one remaining money guy was going to shoulder it all but then he got sick with cancer and passed away. So it sits as I type abandoned and grown up

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Don’t walk your new dog close to ponds or water. I’m actually serious.

Yep you are correct on that and seriously keep small children away too. Gators in general are as scared of you as you are them except in mating and nesting season. If they see you are not intending any harm they just lay back and observe. We do have laws in SC prohibiting feeding or messing with them. Even in mating and nesting season they are not too aggressive as long as you don't go any closer than 15 feet or so. Yeah I let Wally Gator have his  space. Most of the idiots ate or bit in SC were feeding them and seriously ran out of food and the gator got pissed and attacked

• Like 1

Indigo in recent years has become a borderline Goat Track. They closed the summer before last to re do the greens but from what I heard ran out of money. right now the greens are in bad shape but putt better than they look. I like the layout and it is a fun course to play and I like the atmosphere of being more or less a locals course. And yes most of us locals have the same problems with the tourists and snowbirds that you guys in Florida have for the same reasons. I grew up on Bermuda grass so no problem for me. Island Green was a fun little track to play. I almost took a bath there because we almost bought one of those little hexagon houses there. The only reason we did not was because the bubble head real estate agent pissed us off because she was so dim witted and we walked. What most of the problem at Island Green was that there are 6 different HOAs in the area and there was a dispute on access to the course. In fact I was involved with a group that wanted to buy it after the latest closing. I was going to be the GM. They got into so much dispute with the 6 HOAs that the main 2 money men pulled out. The one remaining money guy was going to shoulder it all but then he got sick with cancer and passed away. So it sits as I type abandoned and grown up

Hate to see courses close or go to disrepair.
Deer Track was another 27 holes that closed. Our Condo overlooked a corner of one of the holes. We looked seriously at a home there but we weren’t ready for that commitment thankfully.
I’m going to check in with my Bud in Conway and see where he’s playing now.
We have to set Shankster up with something good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Hate to see courses close or go to disrepair.
Deer Track was another 27 holes that closed. Our Condo overlooked a corner of one of the holes. We looked seriously at a home there but we weren’t ready for that commitment thankfully.
I’m going to check in with my Bud in Conway and see where he’s playing now.
We have to set Shankster up with something good.

Deer Track that was another story- When it closed we were running the golf shop and I was equipment manager for Little River LLC which owns Tupelo Bay and Harbour View on the north end. First thing the developer did when they took over was pull the irrigation system. In fact they sold all the pumps and controls to the city of Surfside Beach. Sprinkler heads ended up all over the beach they were sold cheap. In fact I bought 50 of them for LRLLC for $10 each. There were a group with the HOA that wanted to take over at least 18 holes after a year or so. That was wishful thinking because I told them of the irrigation system being gone and what it would take for it to be cut down again to even resemble a golf course much less be goat ranch playable. I had it pegged around 1/4 of a million. The got the dose of reality backed up by a firm that they consulted at 5k to research it. I was not off much maybe 50K. Needless to say they dropped the thoughts like a hot potato. 

• Like 2

According to my Bud Arrowhead & MB National West in great shape with Arrowhead his Favorite. He played Legends Monday & Tuesday with the $35 special and also decent shape.
Trying to get him down here for a visit.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rickp said:

According to my Bud Arrowhead & MB National West in great shape with Arrowhead his Favorite. He played Legends Monday & Tuesday with the $35 special and also decent shape.
Trying to get him down here for a visit.

I have not played anywhere but Indigo other than 1 round at The River Club since Indian Wells closed December 21st. I have kinda got involved in the Saturday Shootout but am fixing to wean myself off of it

• Like 2

I have not played anywhere but Indigo other than 1 round at The River Club since Indian Wells closed December 21st. I have kinda got involved in the Saturday Shootout but am fixing to wean myself off of it

Maybe some useful info for Alan and his NEW PXG driver

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Maybe some useful info for Alan and his NEW PXG driveremoji106.png

Let him hook up with me and I can put together a team. Ain't gonna win anyhow there are too many cheaters but who ever I play with we have fun. Yesterday I finally got hooked up with a Bud that we had wanted to team up for some time. We teamed up with a "snowbird" couple from NY and did pretty well in the mixed division. I may skip this week though and play with the NY boys not sure yet

• Like 3