Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Does this make sense?

I’ve been putting some thought toward this.  And I’m sure we have discussed it on here before, but I sometimes get lazy and don’t use the search feature.

Does it make sense to any of you to have the loft and lie optimized for each club in the bag?  Fitting, from what I have seen is with a 6 or 7 iron.  

What about taking your whole set to a fitter, that has the ability to optimize each club ?

Worth it?  

Make sense at all?  

Does anyone do this?

29 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I’ve been putting some thought toward this.  And I’m sure we have discussed it on here before, but I sometimes get lazy and don’t use the search feature.

Does it make sense to any of you to have the loft and lie optimized for each club in the bag?  Fitting, from what I have seen is with a 6 or 7 iron.  

What about taking your whole set to a fitter, that has the ability to optimize each club ?

Worth it?  

Make sense at all?  

Does anyone do this?

Makes total sense and is ideally something that should be done.   Loft adjustments allow you to dial in consistent gapping between clubs.  Lots of people make the assumption that a gap of 3* or 4* gives you the right distance between clubs.  Tools like Arccos have shown that this isn’t true especially as you get to longer clubs.  Essentially this is called a gapping fitting. 

Lie angle differences would be the same especially as you approach wedges and get into partial swings.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Makes total sense and is ideally something that should be done.   Loft adjustments allow you to dial in consistent gapping between clubs.  Lots of people make the assumption that a gap of 3* or 4* gives you the right distance between clubs.  Tools like Arccos have shown that this isn’t true especially as you get to longer clubs.  Essentially this is called a gapping fitting. 

Lie angle differences would be the same especially as you approach wedges and get into partial swings.  

I’ve always thought for me at least that I would have a proper set with a 5° gapping throughout.  Arccos is kind of showing that to be true as you mentioned.

Something that I will be looking into doing.  Pretty sure I could afford to go a degree or two flatter on the irons to curb some of the left miss… but this is just from the eye test, no data.  

This makes perfect sense - much of the adjustability that we find in clubs comes from trying to hit proper gaps, launch angles, etc.  If you look at the guys and gals on tour it's remarkable at times what they play.  They know exactly what they are trying to achieve.  

The more variables you can eliminate, the better.  Of course that type of fitting comes at a cost, for us. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just now, revkev said:

This makes perfect sense - much of the adjustability that we find in clubs comes from trying to hit proper gaps, launch angles, etc.  If you look at the guys and gals on tour it's remarkable at times what they play.  They know exactly what they are trying to achieve.  

The more variables you can eliminate, the better.  Of course that type of fitting comes at a cost, for us. 🙂

True… the good thing is.  I know for sure that the T100S will be used until the grooves are gone.  I love these clubs, so paying to get them dialed in won’t make me feel so bad.

I think it makes sense but I also think you are definitely headed into the territory of diminishing returns. There is a chance that you could have a better fit for each iron regarding loft and lie but I don't know if you would notice the difference. I don't know how consistent your swing is but I know that most amateurs swings probably vary enough that +/- 1* of lie isn't going to make a difference as our swings are going to vary each time we play. I think the same is probably even more prevalent relative to loft. I think the biggest difference in terms of fitting each club would be making sure the the shaft and weighting makes sense. Golfers that say they can't hit long irons generally don't have good swings but I would also say that for many, the long irons may be too heavy or hefty (swing weight) or the opposite. Getting a good fit on a 3 or 4 iron can be challenging for an amateur but I've found when they do actually fit, those clubs can be an asset and make them seem far less scary. 

If you don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks, I don't see any reason not to go in and see how all your irons behave on a launch monitor. You may find some interesting results. I don't know if the T100s are prone to bending from general use but you may find that you loft and lie aren't where they once were or you may also find they weren't ever correct from the factory. 

Edited by Kansas King
Changed or to of.

I’ve thought about having mine done this off-season using the arccos data to backup to see if I need to strengthen or weaken a loft for distance gapping purposes 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 7/26/2021 at 9:39 AM, Shankster said:

Worth it?  

Make sense at all?  

Does anyone do this?

Absolutely - that is how TXG suggests any competent fitter handle things.  Consistent loft gaps are pointless.  All that matters is carry distance gaps.  Same goes for lie angle.  Most good fitters recommend going flatter in the wedges because there isn't as much downward deflection (toe down) on wedge shots. 

If you aren't getting fit into new clubs then it still absolutely makes sense to do a gap analysis with your current set and have them bent accordingly 

TXG did a live gapping analysis of Matt's new irons two years ago.  Would be a great watch for you

On 7/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, Shankster said:

I’ve always thought for me at least that I would have a proper set with a 5° gapping throughout.  Arccos is kind of showing that to be true as you mentioned.

All things being equal 1* is about 2-3 yards of distance. Launch and spin are going to be what needs to look at to see what the loft should be. As for lie 1* for most people will not be noticeable 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Definitely worth it, regardless of your ability. Even a beginner can be set up correctly. 

As a “player” needs to be fitted to have accurate yardages, etc. we often forget that beginners through 10 handicaps can develop poor swing habits from ill-fitted clubs. The body appropriately reacts to these maladjustments in clubs. Too upright? Pulls, shut-face hits, heel digs. Too flat? Unprovoked fades, pushes, toe hits in the turf, etc. 

I’ve personally had forged clubs bend over time: bent with incorrect lofts, lies…. No one likes hitting a 7 and 8 iron with an eight yard spread!

Over time, it’s worth the effort and money to have your clubs spec’d when fitted.

My two cents

Reside in Roseville, California

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX-5 MK2 LS. Riptide LX, TX (9.5 & 10.5)

3-Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth (15*), Riptide X-Stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G400 2H 17 Deg,  Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ, X-stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 HMP 4-GW, Proj X Lz

Wedge: :titelist-small: SM9 54 deg, 10 bounce, & SM9 58 deg, 8 bounce, DG TI S400 (courtesy of winning MGS Masters Pool!)

Flat Stick:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled #4

There are manufacture tolerances when building clubs. 1 degree off is not uncommon. Imagine buying a perfectly 4 degree gapped set, only to find that your 6 iron is +1 and your 7 iron is minus 1 degree. Now you have a 2 degree gap. And probably not a decent 10-15 yardage gap. 

Thus, yes. Ideally your irons would be appropriately gapped based on distances.  

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!