Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Titleist Mobile Clubfitting Question

Looking for some input/advice.  I am scheduled to attend a Titleist Clubfitting at my club tomorrow.  I have never been through a fitting process, and I'm not sure what to expect.  I am focusing on my irons, and I'm hoping to find out what the best specs are in irons (lie, length, shaft type, shaft flex, head type, etc.) and I'm not opposed to falling for one of the irons in the Titleist lineup... I think the new T100 line looks amazing (though I have a feeling I would be better suited for the T200 - even though I like the looks of the 100 better).  Anyway, I'm fully expecting a sales pitch, but what are the expectations from the Titleist reps - is it a "buy now" type of deal, or will there be time to consider options?  Also, will I get any specs based on the fitting if I don't decide to purchase clubs from Titleist?

Thanks for any comments for a historical used/off the rack purchaser. 

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I highly doubt you get a sales pitch. I haven’t seen it at any titleist demo day in the last decade. 

Bring your clubs with you so the fitter can see what your set make up, he/she should ask you questions about your game, what you are looking to get out of the fitting, what type of courses you play, what your misses look like.

He/she should have you hit your club so that data can be gathered on your clubs including ball flight and if the fitter is really good what hour swing is like. Based on this the fitter will put together a club and shaft that should fit your swing and will gather more data to see what tweaks need to be made. The fitter should be asking for your feedback on feel of the club/shaft, thoughts about ball flight, contact on the face and so on. The more open and honest you are with the fitter the better the results of the fitting will be.

Unless you club pressures you to buy now there shouldn’t be any of that and you can order whenever if you choose. The fitter should give you your specs and email you the launch monitor data.

As for you looking at specs the fitting is only going to give you what works in the titleist iron lineup. Length loft and lie will vary between other brands to some degree and what shaft works for you in a titleist head might now work for you in another brands lineup

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Most demo days, you will get some kind of sales pitch but it probably won’t be a strong push.   If it is like most fittings, they will have a trackman and have you hit shots with different clubs and shafts to find the combination that provides the best results.   The fitting cart usually has heads with different lie angles; I have never seen an OEM fitting adjust loft as you will be hitting a 6 iron.   You should get your specs and be able to order at a later time or from someone else.   

my suggestion is to ask questions to understand what is going on and why specific configurations were recommended and why others weren’t. , and let the fitter do his job in helping find the right combo.  Most importantly just enjoy yourself.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As for you looking at specs the fitting is only going to give you what works in the titleist iron lineup. Length loft and lie will vary between other brands to some degree and what shaft works for you in a titleist head might now work for you in another brands lineup

Yes, good comment... I understand that as well.  Thanks for the comments RickyBobby.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Most demo days, you will get some kind of sales pitch but it probably won’t be a strong push.   If it is like most fittings, they will have a trackman and have you hit shots with different clubs and shafts to find the combination that provides the best results.   The fitting cart usually has heads with different lie angles; I have never seen an OEM fitting adjust loft as you will be hitting a 6 iron.   You should get your specs and be able to order at a later time or from someone else.   

my suggestion is to ask questions to understand what is going on and why specific configurations were recommended and why others weren’t. , and let the fitter do his job in helping find the right combo.  Most importantly just enjoy yourself.  

Thanks cnosil!  I will do my best to enjoy the experience 🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I can only add to what Cnosil and Ricky said, they have both covered it well.

While I seriously doubt you will get a "sales pitch", that's not Titleist's style!  Remember both Titleist and the club are doing this to sell clubs, and hopefully you are attending to truly be interested in buying clubs not just test driver for fun.  If you decide Titleist isn't the right club for you, no harm in that, be honest and let them know.  BUT if it is the right club, be it tomorrow or next week, please do the right thing and buy from the club and not take the specs and shop the internet or other places for a better "deal"   While I know everyone has a right to spend their money as they wish, I think spending ones money...even if it's a few dollars more--with someone who took the time to genuinely help me is the way I like to do things. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

16 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I can only add to what Cnosil and Ricky said, they have both covered it well.

While I seriously doubt you will get a "sales pitch", that's not Titleist's style!  Remember both Titleist and the club are doing this to sell clubs, and hopefully you are attending to truly be interested in buying clubs not just test driver for fun.  If you decide Titleist isn't the right club for you, no harm in that, be honest and let them know.  BUT if it is the right club, be it tomorrow or next week, please do the right thing and buy from the club and not take the specs and shop the internet or other places for a better "deal"   While I know everyone has a right to spend their money as they wish, I think spending ones money...even if it's a few dollars more--with someone who took the time to genuinely help me is the way I like to do things. 

Thanks CG2.  Honestly, I'm hoping to be blown away by the process and fall in love with the Titleist lineup.  I have been all over the map in my years, but one of my favorite iron sets were DCI blacks back in the mid-90's, and until recently was carrying a 909D and 906F as my gamers.  And if I do decide to move forward with Titleist in the bag, I have every intent to show my appreciation to the club with the purchase.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
7 minutes ago, bellken said:

If you are on Team Titleist (free to join), you can access your "My Fittings".  The specs will be for what you were fitted for, and, may not easily translate to other brands.  

Good tip bellken.  If the Titleist lineup doesn't mesh with me, I would pursue clubfittings for other brands I may be interested in.  However, I am already 85% of the way to Titleist, and I expect the clubfitting will seal it - especially with a setup tailored to my swing - unlike every other set I've ever had in my life.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
52 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Thanks CG2.  Honestly, I'm hoping to be blown away by the process and fall in love with the Titleist lineup.  I have been all over the map in my years, but one of my favorite iron sets were DCI blacks back in the mid-90's, and until recently was carrying a 909D and 906F as my gamers.  And if I do decide to move forward with Titleist in the bag, I have every intent to show my appreciation to the club with the purchase.  

Sounds Good!   I think you will definitely be impressed with the fitting session and learn quite a bit.  Good luck and let us know how it goes for you

And, my first set of Titleist irons were those exact DCI Blacks, I think I bought in 96 or, sounds like right around the time you did. 

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

And, my first set of Titleist irons were those exact DCI Blacks, I think I bought in 96 or, sounds like right around the time you did. 

Wish I still had them.  Great set of clubs!  though that was back in my X-100 days.  🤣

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I just spent a couple days on the course and range with the new T100s 7 iron.  Really an awesome club, just great feeling and performing.  So much so, I placed an order at the my club for a set 5-gap with AMT Black shafts.     Really looking forward to receiving them although it's going to be awhile I suppose.  The new sole grind really works for me and has much better turf interaction than my apex 21s (at least with my swing)   I had T200s before and should have kept them so heading back to Titleist now.  Have fun at the fitting.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

9 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Looking for some input/advice.  I am scheduled to attend a Titleist Clubfitting at my club tomorrow.  I have never been through a fitting process, and I'm not sure what to expect.  I am focusing on my irons, and I'm hoping to find out what the best specs are in irons (lie, length, shaft type, shaft flex, head type, etc.) and I'm not opposed to falling for one of the irons in the Titleist lineup... I think the new T100 line looks amazing (though I have a feeling I would be better suited for the T200 - even though I like the looks of the 100 better).  Anyway, I'm fully expecting a sales pitch, but what are the expectations from the Titleist reps - is it a "buy now" type of deal, or will there be time to consider options?  Also, will I get any specs based on the fitting if I don't decide to purchase clubs from Titleist?

Thanks for any comments for a historical used/off the rack purchaser. 

For what it's worth, I was fitted with Titleist clubs last year and have a combo set. I have the T100s in 7 - PW and T200 in 4, 5 and 6 irons. If you decide to purchase the Titleist clubs, go with the model that provides you the best results.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

As a follow up - I had my Titleist Fitting at my club yesterday and I am VERY impressed with the process.  Having been a golfer for 30+ years and never having a true fitting - I would absolutely recommend anyone considering new sticks to go through a fitting process (I'm not breaking any new ground here... this has been said thousands of times before by MGS members much more respected than I).  Count one more on the tally of converts from self-fitting to an educated fitting process.  

All the comments above were correct to my experience.  Great process and good knowledge on the equipment being fitted, and the fitter was willing to share his thought processes, and answer any questions (silly or not) that I asked.  I will say, I'm not the kind of guy that get's nervous on the first tee with a new 4-some, or even teeing off in a tournament... but I was initially nervous to start swinging for the Titleist rep.  I was worried about producing a repeatable and representative swing that would offer the best chance for a quality fitting... not only based on yesterday, but in the future.  My fitter was quick to put me at ease, and before too long I was thinking about how the club reacted, what the feel was, and the ball flight results rather than where my swing position checkpoints were.  Honestly, I need to figure out how to translate that "take your mind off the mechanics" swing while I'm on the course, as I actually struck the ball better in my fitting session, than I have for quite sometime in practice or play.  

Through the process, we tried several head, shaft, lie, and length options... all based on the trackman results (I really need one of those... haha).  And while I had a pre-conceived notion of what I would like... The clubs spoke for themselves and I definitely fell in love with one particular setup over all others.  I could feel the club through the whole swing and the flight shapes were not only within the targets the fitter was looking for, but also ball flights I have been trying to achieve, but have had little success (high apex, more length, steeper descent angle).  The fitted iron set outperformed my existing set in all the key metrics, including height, distance (carry and roll), angle of descent and dispersion.  And my fitter took the time to explain each of those metrics, and also the difference between heads, shafts etc.

As I mentioned above, I love the look of the T100, but after hitting the clubs in person... my preference (I repeat... MY preference) was the T200.  We also narrowed down the shaft options to the Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2.  Just for curious minds.  

As far as the sales pitch... as said above... I was provided with the pricing through the club, and offered to place the order on the spot, or work through my club when ready to order, and happily emailed the specs and fitting information to me for further review.  

Best 60 minutes I have spent in a long time.  Thanks to everyone above for the comments, glad I pulled the trigger on this one.

~Tim

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
49 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

As a follow up - I had my Titleist Fitting at my club yesterday and I am VERY impressed with the process.  Having been a golfer for 30+ years and never having a true fitting - I would absolutely recommend anyone considering new sticks to go through a fitting process (I'm not breaking any new ground here... this has been said thousands of times before by MGS members much more respected than I).  Count one more on the tally of converts from self-fitting to an educated fitting process.  

All the comments above were correct to my experience.  Great process and good knowledge on the equipment being fitted, and the fitter was willing to share his thought processes, and answer any questions (silly or not) that I asked.  I will say, I'm not the kind of guy that get's nervous on the first tee with a new 4-some, or even teeing off in a tournament... but I was initially nervous to start swinging for the Titleist rep.  I was worried about producing a repeatable and representative swing that would offer the best chance for a quality fitting... not only based on yesterday, but in the future.  My fitter was quick to put me at ease, and before too long I was thinking about how the club reacted, what the feel was, and the ball flight results rather than where my swing position checkpoints were.  Honestly, I need to figure out how to translate that "take your mind off the mechanics" swing while I'm on the course, as I actually struck the ball better in my fitting session, than I have for quite sometime in practice or play.  

Through the process, we tried several head, shaft, lie, and length options... all based on the trackman results (I really need one of those... haha).  And while I had a pre-conceived notion of what I would like... The clubs spoke for themselves and I definitely fell in love with one particular setup over all others.  I could feel the club through the whole swing and the flight shapes were not only within the targets the fitter was looking for, but also ball flights I have been trying to achieve, but have had little success (high apex, more length, steeper descent angle).  The fitted iron set outperformed my existing set in all the key metrics, including height, distance (carry and roll), angle of descent and dispersion.  And my fitter took the time to explain each of those metrics, and also the difference between heads, shafts etc.

As I mentioned above, I love the look of the T100, but after hitting the clubs in person... my preference (I repeat... MY preference) was the T200.  We also narrowed down the shaft options to the Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2.  Just for curious minds.  

As far as the sales pitch... as said above... I was provided with the pricing through the club, and offered to place the order on the spot, or work through my club when ready to order, and happily emailed the specs and fitting information to me for further review.  

Best 60 minutes I have spent in a long time.  Thanks to everyone above for the comments, glad I pulled the trigger on this one.

~Tim

Glad you had a good experience and found something that works. Having a club compliment your swing rather than your swing trying to make a club work for you is going to help alot

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

31 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

~Tim

Great recap, and glad to hear that it went as well as many of us had thought it might.  I will say the Tensei shafts are really good.  I went with the red in my irons, but have the Orange in my G425 driver, it's a great feeling shaft.