Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Custom Clubfitting – What Kind of Car Wash Do You Want?

More and more golf club companies are starting to emphasize custom clubfitting as an option for golfers as opposed to buying their clubs in standard form off the rack.

Custom fitting is very definitely beneficial for average golfers and not just for single digit handicap players. When done properly, custom fitting can reduce and offset some of the poor shotmaking effects of your swing errors. In addition, proper custom fitting makes it easier to take swing lessons and make the changes in the swing to hit the ball better.

If you are thinking about custom fitting for your next driveror set of clubs, there are a few things you need to know to ensure you really do end up with properly custom fit clubs that will improve your game. A colleague of mine in the golf business made what I believe to be a very appropriate analogy between custom clubfitting and getting your car washed.

If your car needs a bath, you can pull out the hose and just spray water on it to wash off the obvious surface dirt. On the other hand, you can also fill a bucket with suds and scrub the dirt off the surface with a sponge. Or, you can pull out all the stops and scrub, detail and wax it. All three examples could be called a car wash.

Custom fitting in the golf industry today is much the same. There is “fitting”, and there is professional custom clubfitting. Examples of a “fitting” include, “6 questions on a web site”, 15 minutes hitting a few balls with a swing computer, or 3 measurements and a response from a golf sales person to the effect of, “I know what you need.”

On the other hand, professional custom clubfitting is going to involve a pretty fair amount of your time, often more than one trip to have your swing analysed in detail by a trained and experienced custom Clubmaker so that ALL the possible specifications that make up a set of golf clubs can be pinpointed and selected to match with your strength, size, athletic ability, and especially, the way YOU and only YOU swing.

Professional custom clubfitting really is like the scrub, wax and detail car wash I mentioned before. The other types of fitting are not going to get you really matched well to your clubs to result in the level of improvement that a professional custom fitting can and will do. In other words, which “car wash” do YOU want for your money? So don't hesitate one more year, go and FIND A CLUBFITTER and you will most definitely see dramatic improvements in your game this year!

http://wishongolf.com/custom-clubfitting-what-kind-of-car-wash-do-you-want/

Having done a Dick's sporting goods "fitting" after I graduated from my beginner set, I can vouch for how much truth there is in this. The club I was "fit" to, was essentially the club I first asked about and the whole process took about 15 minutes and I wound up replacing the club within a year with my current gamer.

I fitted myself to my current club by finding my SS and tempo and researched which shaft would best fit my swing. It's probably not an ideal fit, but it sure was better than the Dick's fitting. Someday I hope to go through a real fitting over at Ace of Clubs, but probably not until the PMI is off my mortgage payments :).

Nice find, and a good thing to think about. It's funny how many people walk into a golf store and say, "My friends tell me I should be custom fit...what does that mean?" What's disappointing is that places like Dick's give you that "spray the car with a hose" type of custom fitting, and most people don't know the difference.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I think another problem with getting fit at a place like Dicks is you feel like they know what they're talking about because you can see your numbers on the simulator.

Had I not read some of the reviews of real custom fitting from this site, I don't think I would have known the difference and certainly not the value of paying someone for a real fitting.

I think another problem with getting fit at a place like Dicks is you feel like they know what they're talking about because you can see your numbers on the simulator.

Had I not read some of the reviews of real custom fitting from this site, I don't think I would have known the difference and certainly not the value of paying someone for a real fitting.

I think launch monitors are a great way to be fit, indoors or out, but you just have to know that they're not perfect. I suggest a simple test: when you go to get fit, bring your 7I (or any club that you know, with 100% certainty, how far you hit it). Hit your club on the simulator and see if it goes as far as it should. This will immediately tell you if the launch monitor numbers are getting juiced to move product.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I think launch monitors are a great way to be fit, indoors or out, but you just have to know that they're not perfect. I suggest a simple test: when you go to get fit, bring your 7I (or any club that you know, with 100% certainty, how far you hit it). Hit your club on the simulator and see if it goes as far as it should. This will immediately tell you if the launch monitor numbers are getting juiced to move product.

Excellent point. Most good fitters will recommend you bring your six or seven iron (or your entire bag if they want to show you how your clubs are actually hurting you). Even when I did the Miura fitting it was suggested I bring my clubs...or at least my 6-iron, but since the same fitter built my previous gamers, I didn't see the point. Under any other circumstance, I would always recommend seeing how what you've got compares to what you're being fitted for.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I type this as I await the Tour Van glue to dry on the new shaft in my hybrid.

Here is my problem with getting custom fit. A few years ago, I decided I wanted a new driver and custom fitting and all that. So I get in the car, drive 2 hours to Golfsmiths (FOR THE SAKE OF THIS DISCUSSION, we will stipulate that Golfsmith is the greatest fitter in the world.) So after several hours of sitting in the car, and stopping at several other places, I finally get there mid afternoon. I warm up, try some drivers, different shafts, launch monitor, etc... Let's say a got the buff and wax. I paid them my $400 and drove home. By the time we had had dinner etc... it was too late to play that day. I hop out of bed the next morning head out to the range to warm up, I can not wait to hit my driver.

After a month of trying to hit this driver, I took it back. It fit me great in the store when I was tired and stressed but did not fit on the course.

In the years since, I have for the most part fit myself. Finding the head I liked and trying different shafts until I got what I wanted. If there is a shaft I want to try, I will find it on eBay usually in some club that I do not want. I bought a left handed Nike Hybrid with a Fubuki shaft that just robbed out and the glue is drying on now, probably dried by now, for $34 delivered. I really enjoy experimenting and find that I get clubs that I at least preceive work better for me.

I have been trying to replace my old Hogan hybrids for years. This 909H may do the job finally, after 4 different shafts, but then again, the shafts in the Hogans have been changed many many times.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I type this as I await the Tour Van glue to dry on the new shaft in my hybrid.

Here is my problem with getting custom fit. A few years ago, I decided I wanted a new driver and custom fitting and all that. So I get in the car, drive 2 hours to Golfsmiths (FOR THE SAKE OF THIS DISCUSSION, we will stipulate that Golfsmith is the greatest fitter in the world.) So after several hours of sitting in the car, and stopping at several other places, I finally get there mid afternoon. I warm up, try some drivers, different shafts, launch monitor, etc... Let's say a got the buff and wax. I paid them my $400 and drove home. By the time we had had dinner etc... it was too late to play that day. I hop out of bed the next morning head out to the range to warm up, I can not wait to hit my driver.

After a month of trying to hit this driver, I took it back. It fit me great in the store when I was tired and stressed but did not fit on the course.

In the years since, I have for the most part fit myself. Finding the head I liked and trying different shafts until I got what I wanted. If there is a shaft I want to try, I will find it on eBay usually in some club that I do not want. I bought a left handed Nike Hybrid with a Fubuki shaft that just robbed out and the glue is drying on now, probably dried by now, for $34 delivered. I really enjoy experimenting and find that I get clubs that I at least preceive work better for me.

I have been trying to replace my old Hogan hybrids for years. This 909H may do the job finally, after 4 different shafts, but then again, the shafts in the Hogans have been changed many many times.

I'm not sure how much time the golfsmith fitting took, but I'm not sure I would call the golfsmith fitting "buff and wax" since you returned the club 30 days later.

Here is what's written on the Ace of Clubs website: "Custom Fitting On FlightScope Launch Monitor (At Ace of Clubs): **$150.00**

**The average club fitting takes 1.25 to 1.5 hours. Additional time, if available on the launch monitor, will be charged out at $25.00 for each additional 15 minutes**" Having read some reviews, some fitting change both the club head and shaft, other just the shaft.

Here's one review that stuck out. I can't say I've ever had this sort of experience at Dicks/Golf Town/Golf Zone/Golf Galaxy:

“Coming from the Dallas area, I found that it was difficult to find a reputable clubfitter who gave me the truth about my swing and would present me with options that would improve my game. I've looked for fifteen years. So I visited Frank Viola in Saugus, MA to find the truth – because Frank leaves no stone unturned when it comes to telling it like it is, albeit in a diplomatic manner.”

“My irons, although state of the art, were fitted by a clubmaker near Dallas. When I purchased them, I was initially troubled by the heavy shaft, flex, and swing weight. My former club guy told me to hit them and said I'd eventually like them. That time never arrived, which is a major reason I was now at Frank's place.”

“After warming up in Frank's shop, I took several swings on the launch monitor as Frank looked on. After reviewing my swing and the results on the monitor, he commented, “please don't take offense, but those clubs are too heavy, too long, and too strong of a flex for you.” I put aside my ego and agreed.”

“We spent the morning on the monitor changing club heads and trying various steel and graphite shafts to see what worked for my game. Frank was patient and analytical. We also tried different golf balls to optimize distance, spin, and dispersion.”

“After finding a combo that worked best (longer and less dispersion), Frank fit the shaft flex, length, and grip to my swing and we saw the results in the monitor. We had obtained 7 additional mph in swing speed and about 15 additional yards over my current irons. I also did not like the look of my Super Game Improvement Irons – they seemed like hammers – and since my contact was center face, we opted for the Miura PP-9003 irons with Aerotech i80 shafts. My love affair with the Miuras grew the more I swung them that morning – the offset was well hidden and it didn't look like a hammer, yet it was forgiving. The sole also made it more playable to my normal conditions – tighter lies, and it felt as if it belonged in my hands.”

“After Frank adjusted the club to my lie angle, we were ready to fit hybrids. Once again, we found the shaft was not as consistent or long as an Aerotech Hybrid Shaft. Although Frank could have added to his bank account by selling me a club, he said, “You seem to like that club and hit it center-face, so why not just change the shaft?” And that's what we did.”

“The morning ended with a driver fitting. Frank helped me gain 5 additional mph with a more traditional length (45 inches) driver, a better shaft, a fitted grip, and a better club head for me. I also noticed the ball flight was more urgent – got up and flattened - instead of loopy. Hitting the driver outside confirmed our findings.”

“I was overwhelmed by Frank's professional approach to fitting, his honest assessment of my swing, his ability to offer options, and what I needed to better enjoy the game.”

“You might ask, “Why travel a half-day by air to see Frank?” The answer is I've seen a lot of pretenders when it comes to clubfitters. I thought that I knew what to look for, but I also tend to trust professionals. I tried to find someone locally several times but it never worked. I've seen many “wannabe” clubfitters, and I did not have any more time or money to waste on them.”

“I am very happy with trusting my game to Frank Viola. I value his ethics, professionalism, and attention to detail. It's worth the trip to see Frank to save money, for your piece of mind, and for your enjoyment of the game.”

• SPY VIP

There is a perception that independent club fitters only carry component brands, and I think that turns a lot of people off, and not doubts contributes to the traffic through the doors at Dick's, Golf* and others.

While not true in every case, guys like Josh Chervokas at the NY Golf Center, Frank Viola, and even growing franchises like Club Champion can not only fit you for name brand equipment, but their arrangements with the OEMs allow them to build your clubs as if they were components. You can get the clubs from the brands that people want, with the personal touch (and attention to detail/spec) you don't get from a quick fitting with an OEM order.

I see Rick's point as well. As much as I'm slowly working towards being fit for nearly everything in my bag, I am a tinkerer at heart. It has taken me a while to come around to adjustable drivers, but they sure make it easy to try something new without having to pull shafts, and re-epoxy. Different shafts, different lengths, adjustable drivers make that possible. And because for most of us, our golf swings suddenly change on us, if you're familiar enough with your arsenal of options, and understand how various changes impact ball flight, you can do a bit of self-fitting along the way.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'm not sure how much time the golfsmith fitting took, but I'm not sure I would call the golfsmith fitting "buff and wax" since you returned the club 30 days later.

Here is what's written on the Ace of Clubs website: "Custom Fitting On FlightScope Launch Monitor (At Ace of Clubs): **$150.00**

**The average club fitting takes 1.25 to 1.5 hours. Additional time, if available on the launch monitor, will be charged out at $25.00 for each additional 15 minutes**" Having read some reviews, some fitting change both the club head and shaft, other just the shaft.

Here's one review that stuck out. I can't say I've ever had this sort of experience at Dicks/Golf Town/Golf Zone/Golf Galaxy:

I go to Golfsmith in Dallas about once a month just to fondle the merchandise. I guess I am a clubophile. I have had more good experiences than bad. I have had service from knowledgable people and ignorant people. But the point of this was it was not the fitting that was the problem. It was the fact that I had a totally different swing there than here.

I played Wednesday and shot 2 under, yesterday, I was in Dallas when I got a call from friends wanting me to play. I told them I would catch them on the back 9. I arrived at the course as they were making the turn and caught up with them after they had teed off on 10. I jumped out of the cart, took two practice swings and rolled one across the ladies tee box. I mean the forward tee box. Hit a second one that was just a little better. It was two more holes before I was able to duplicate the swing I had on Wednesday. I often go out on the course take two swings and hit the ball. I usually play pretty well doing that. Not as well as a proper warm up but after spending two hours in a car it is extremely difficult to have a good swing.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

First thing everyone in the golf industry has a different opinion. i do agree with proper fitting by a COMPITENT club builder. I have a friend down here that does that. He takes his time and works with people. He builds quality equipment (Wishon Infinity KZG etc). I have also seen customers bring high dollar off the shelf brand new clubs to be checked and either the lofts and lies or the frequency of the shafts will be off.I personally for me do like RoverRick does i fit myself even though I have access to and know how to use my friend's equipment. I can tell you a story. A few years ago I bought a pristine set of blades that had only been used 3 rounds. I was on the range hitting them and the 7 iron was not right. My beforementioned friend had finished giving a lesson and he stopped by. I told him that the shaft was not right in the 7 iron he asked me how do you know? I told him it dont hit right. We took it inside and put it and the others on the frequency machine and the 7 iron frequency was off bad. We matched up a shaft and put it in let it dry and i took it back out and it hit like it should. But I would reccomend to anyone that wants to play seriously and their best to have their clubs fitted and checked by an independent club fitter that peferrebly owns their own business.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived