Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

RIP Tom Weiskopf

jaskanski

after seeing him win a senior tournament, where I also got to see arnold palmer, i couldn’t figure out why he didn’t win more. he was on fire that week. so much fun to watch. such a tactician. he’ll be missed.

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

I loved watching that swing.  I think his attitude had a lot to do with him not winning more than he did.  

In 1993 two years after I picked up a club for the first time, I had lunch with Weiskopf after playing my round at TPC Scottsdale..... well, he was sitting at the next table but we were both eating lunch.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

He actually desgned a course here outside of Cleveland and I got to play it many years ago. I remember it was fun, and free, but in that newer style of over designed courses that are too difficult for 90% of golfers. 

I know my dad mentioned him a few times. He was probably the longest hitter of his time, but he couldn't beat Nicklaus or Watson. I think that got into his head and he retired from the PGA a bit early? I saw one of the Master's replays where Nicklaus was still playing, and he was one of the announcers.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I’ve played a couple of his courses and loved them. Was saddened by his passing too. Thanks for posting this. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 months later...

Used to watch him play……Panama hat was his style.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 months later...

Terrific talent but wasn’t really dedicated to winning or even playing. He blew off a Ryder Cup to go hunting for example. Golf was his way of paying the bills and in his younger days he was an unhappy person. Booze was his constant companion unfortunately. 
I watched he and Trevino play Congressional in the early 80’s. After I me of Weiskopf’s booming drives disappeared down a hill Trevino barely reached the edge of, Lee said to his caddy, I wonder if it’s tiring to swing so hard? Lol