Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Your Local Range

GolfSpy Dave

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grass, Mats, or Rotation?

• Grass
    • Mats
    • Grass, but rotating with mats for recovery.

• SPY VIP

Many of us use the range to practice, but driving range has a very broad definition.

A few other topics have mentioned the specific ranges that members practice on.

What does your range look like? Mats? Grass? Indoor/outdoor? Cost? Hours?

Some of you are still snowed in, so just imagine the range in summer. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

My range is the one from my club, and it just so happens to be behind the houses that are across the street from me. Even better....the back end of the range is what's specifically across from me, so I can go out late afternoon and have the place pretty much to myself.

Our range has two fairways cut into it, and about 10 greens set up in it at various angles and distances. It also has two putting greens and one dedicated short game green with two sand bunkers. There is also one dedicated tee areas to practice shots from 80yds-120yds.

Um... A big field about 350 yards long and 50-75 yards wide with just signs down the middle. We have a small practice green with 5 holes cut into it. We have stadium lights for the late night range sessions in the summer.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

WOW... most of the ones around here are open fields next to the courses with 2-3 flags at 50/100/150/200/250/300 yards... most are grass, but a few are half mats, half grass...

On has a car at about 180 yards for people to shoot at and if you hit it through the window, there is a light on top that flashes, and you win a free small bucket...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I work at my range. 30 mats, 5 grass tees. all covered. 2 short game areas. Back of the range is 255 with a 40 ft net.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Just back from my range and it is all tore up. They are putting in automatic tee machines. Cutting into the concrete and everything. Plus the manager said that they are getting new mats. Supposedly there will be rough like grass too. This is a huge 2-ended range with about 40+ stalls at each end. Roughly 320 deep. Marked greens at various distances. If you search Haggin Oaks golf expo, you can see it.

Volvo Intorqueo

Just back from my range and it is all tore up. They are putting in automatic tee machines. Cutting into the concrete and everything. Plus the manager said that they are getting new mats. Supposedly there will be rough like grass too.

Grass-like mats are the best, I've been practicing on them all winter.

My range has both, and I use both. Mat for tee shots and the grass for all the irons. Mat when it's raining though, that can't be helped.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

My range is all grass...

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

My range is all grass...

Just FYI, to keep all the ranges sorted out, can you go to your OP and add this in as an edit rather than an additional post. That makes it easier for readers to see which range is all grass.

Volvo Intorqueo

Its 10 posts apart and my avatar should help make the connection...

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

there are a few I use. The one close to my house is about 300 yards deep and i'd say 150 yards wide. there's a row of 12-15 mats on a pressure treated, covered deck then there's a grass tee area beyond that. There's a decent size putting green with several holes. Chipping/pitching allowed. They also have a practice bunker and another area specifically for pitching. Grass mowed short but it isn't a green, just a flag

$5 for 40 balls or $8 for 80

The range at my home course is sweet. 375 yards, only grass tees. the tee line is as nice as the tee boxes for the most part. there's a HUGE putting green with a billion cups, another green with 5 or so cups that is used mostly for chipping, pitching and bunker shots, and yet another green next to the first tee. Flags at i think 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250. somthing like that.

3 size buckets. I think 30ish, 80ish and 110ish. can't remember prices. 5, 8, 12? You can load money onto a key reader to get a discount on balls.

• SPY VIP

I'm actually considering joining the only private club in town without a range. That said, there are a few nearby. Most are in the $7-$9 range for a bucket of 100 balls. Most hit off mats, some offer grass at an up charge. There's also a big open field that charges $6 for a bucket (unattended - on the honor system). It's in piss poor shape, but if you just want to swing the driver it's alright I suppose.

Mostly I hit balls indoors at Tark's Indoor Golf.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

So I have to add perhaps the best component that I have witnessed at a range. Saw it today.

Women's College Golf Teams

sorry no pictures B)

Volvo Intorqueo

So I have to add perhaps the best component that I have witnessed at a range. Saw it today.

Women's College Golf Teams

sorry no pictures B)

When I lived downstate, I went to a course where a couple of college teams held practices. It was very impressive to watch them hit balls and putt. As a coach, I appreciated that they actually practiced the things they were supposed to - I wonder if that's why they were good?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

When I lived downstate, I went to a course where a couple of college teams held practices. It was very impressive to watch them hit balls and putt. As a coach, I appreciated that they actually practiced the things they were supposed to - I wonder if that's why they were good?

Yes it was an impressive sight. Didn't help my range concentration though...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Now that is a range! How do you putt in it though?

Putting is a little strange at first (as are all aspects of the short game). You putt, pitch, chip directly into the screen like any other shot. Obviously the perspective is strange, so it really forces you to think in terms of distances rather than eyeballing everything from inside 50 yards or so. I expect when I get out on the course I'll show improvement as a result.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Yes it was an impressive sight. Didn't help my range concentration though...

Yeah, I think Matt missed the point about why you were excited that they were there. It wasn't to watch their practice regimen. LOL.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I actually rotate between three ranges depending on the time of the year.

If its cold and the ground is frozen, then I will usually go to the dome (which is the same one MSaternus goes to):

White Pines Golf Dome

If the weather is warmer but courses are closed or even still hitting off matts, then I will go to an indoor facility where you hit into an outdoor landing area. This is my favorite one:

Golf Center Des Plaines

But, if the courses are open and they allow me to hit off grass then I use the driving range at the course.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

After chopping it up today on grass, I'm beginning to wonder how productive it was hitting off mats all winter in the dome.

I had the same experience today. Mats are not as realistic as I would like.

• SPY VIP

I had the same experience today. Mats are not as realistic as I would like.

This was something that I had no idea about initially. The mat is way too forgiving.

I can't wait until the ranges get the grass going again.

Volvo Intorqueo

This was something that I had no idea about initially. The mat is way too forgiving.

I can't wait until the ranges get the grass going again.

If you hit it fat enough on a mat it will either skip up and you'll thin it, or it'll bounce and you can hit it flush. If you know the feel through experience you can feel it, but most people don't know it. Grass isn't bouncy, the club just digs in.

• SPY VIP

If you hit it fat enough on a mat it will either skip up and you'll thin it, or it'll bounce and you can hit it flush. If you know the feel through experience you can feel it, but most people don't know it. Grass isn't bouncy, the club just digs in.

Exactly. it was very eye opening as a new player to try the first time hitting balls at a grass range...

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived