Confession Corner - Admit Your Golf Equipment Biases

null

I dont have a brand bias but visually i have definite preferences that lean away from colorful, flashy or "plasticky".  The last term is my description of the layers that get put on the back of an iron.

So i immediately eliminate anything from any brand that tries to hit those marketing hot spots.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Definitely have a bias for Taylormade and Titleist, with that being said I do want to play my best golf so if there is another brand that suits me better and helps me play better I become biased to that brand.

Coming from a baseball background I never liked anything Mizuno, went and got fitted for irons and the best irons for me at that time was a set of Mizuno irons. 

I would say I'm brand agnostic but its hard to want to put Taylormade and Titleist products in the bag. 

RD12

MacGregor has a special place in my bias. First clubs in my bag. They were the only clubs in my bag for over a quarter century. Would give them a real hard look again if they became in my opinion viable in today’s market place of options. 
  To @Preeway  point, I have looked at some niche DTC outfits, possibly pulling the trigger on one of these outfits for wedges fairly soon… 

General bias - Forged is better than cast no exceptions.

Positive equipment bias - Titleist golf balls and Vokey wedges are far better than everything else on the market.  

Negative equipment bias - mizuno makes great irons, crappy everything else. Cleveland/Srixon is second tier to Titleist, Callaway, and TaylorMade in everything.

indifferent equipment bias - DTC products like sub70 I’ve heard a lot of positive things about but would need a specific reason to try them

Taylormade Sim 9.0

Taylormade sim2 13.5

Srixon z irons

SM8 Vijay wedges (54,58)

Odyssey Double Wide putter

Taylormade TP5

I have a bit of soft spot for cobra gear. Don't know what it is but the designs feel sleek, the balance and weighting of the woods and hybrid just work for me.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Great topic!

Red Rooster - good gloves

Sub 70 - solid value option

Takomo - sexy irons

New Level - I don’t have more than a passing familiarity, so ?

Haywood - Intriguing, they look stunning

MacGregor - Fills me with Nostalgia, like a warm hug from Mom

Caley - Dark Horse, similar to Takomo

Sacks Parente - Not familiar, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Indi Golf - spin kings

Edison - similar to new level, in that I’m aware they exist but no firm opinion

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

I'm a bogey golfer who only upgrades about once every 10 years.  I was recently in the market for new irons as my Callaway Diablo edges were just not working for me anymore.  A buddy gave me a set of Pings Raptures, and I hit them far, but could not seem to work fades, or draws very well.  So, in talking with guys from my league, the Mizuno 923's kept entering the conversation, and based on several recommendations, I decided to try them out.  My golf shop guy had me bring in several 7i's from different sets to compare on his monitor.  Lo and behold, the Mizunos beat our Callaway and Ping in distance, accuracy and forgiveness.  I've been gaming them about three months now and cannot believe how high and far they go relative to my old sets.  So, long story short, Mizunos are my irons.  In fairness to Callaway, my 4 hybrid has essentially replaced my long irons, and 3W.  Driver is a TM M3 which replaced my old Nike Sasquatch Sumo 5900.  My 5w is a Ping G5 and is incredible off the deck.   I'm not really a brand guy, but will put what works in my bag, even if it's a total mismatch.  If it works, it stays. 

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I wonder how many of you feel about the DTC brands, they have so much less exposure and I would be very curious to hear what the first word or sentence comes to mind when you hear brands like 

Red Rooster - Haven't tried their gloves, and don't plan to do so

Sub 70 - Excellent clubs (I own and game them), and great customer service

Takomo - Their irons are attractive and have gotten many good reviews; I would try them

New Level - I own some of their clubs; not really impressed

Haywood - WHO DAT?

MacGregor - Are they still around?

Caley - Another WHO???

Sacks Parente - Putters look nice, but I'm not in the market for another putter

Indi Golf - Interesting-looking wedges, but I'm an Edison guy (see below)

Edison - Best wedges I have used in many years (I used the first gen and now game the Edison 2.0)

I am sure some of them many have never heard of and there are many there I left off because frankly now the list is way longer than it had been even a few years ago!

Here's one more for you:

Makefield Putters - I love mine!!!

See my responses in italics above

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I wonder how many of you feel about the DTC brands, they have so much less exposure and I would be very curious to hear what the first word or sentence comes to mind when you hear brands like 

I’ll play!  As I looked through your list, I knew all the brands.   the only one I haven’t tried is the Sacks Parente but is one I want to try since I am a putter guy.    

Red Rooster - impressive

Sub 70 - solid gear, great customer service

Takomo - maybe a bit too small; limited configurations 

New Level - one of my favorite irons in most wanted testing 

Haywood - acceptable. Not great but not bad. 

MacGregor - classic name, but not what they used to be.  

Caley - loved the utility iron. 

Sacks Parente - did the stock debacle significantly damage the company?  Avoid unless I can snag one cheap.  

Indi Golf - up and comer  

Edison - expensive and not better for me.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nike... My first real set of clubs and the ones I still use today are Nike SlingShots. 
I have one of the last versions of their Victory Red Drivers I still use. I used to only play Nike balls. I wanted .. no I needed everything nike named/branded/sold in my bag so I could play better. 
s***** shot over water with a rando tree ball found. Obviously it went hard right and dead center of the pond was due to nonNike ball, so doe that even count as a stroke?

Now being a fair bit older and not having all that extra disposable income cuz you know having a family and all that. I play just about anything and everything I can get my hands on. I play a fairly cheap ball, that is if I am forced to go out and get some new ones. I just got some Lazrus wedges cuz they were cheap and I needed some wedges and I'm not making the Korn ferry tour this season (or any of the folllowing either_, let alone the PGA. So biases BE GONE> 

although I REALLY REALLY want Nike to come back into the club realm. I could use a new set of Irons, a nice new driver, and maybe a fairway wood or two... just saying. 

Murphy, Derek

I really like Cobra. I think they are a very underrated brand. Because of that, if I need a new club and I'm not getting fitted for it, I will look at Cobra first, and only try other brands if the Cobra option isn't working out for me. Additionally, for reasons I can't explain at all, I don't like Callaway. If I'm comparing any other brand to Callaway, I will go with the other brand unless Callaway so thoroughly undeniably outperforms it that I can't convince myself otherwise. 

Neither of these are rational, and I do try to keep my mind open for fittings, but if the numbers are close enough I will always choose Cobra > anything else > Callaway. 

Cobra LTDx Max Driver & 3w
Taylormade M2 3 hybrid & M6 4 hybrid
Taylormade Burner irons 5-PW 
Pinemeadow Wedges (52, 56, 60)
Cobra KING Stingray putter

For the longest time I only would play Callaway or Mizuno. I had bias from fitters, local stores, and previous use. 

I was not a huge fan of taylormade or ping just for personal reasons. 

hiwever as I have taken golf more serious and entered local competitions I got fit again and ironically got fit into the new p790 irons, stealth 2 3 wood, and a ping 5 wood. I still can’t get rid of my callaway driver but regret not giving king or TM the chance before now. 

putter wise very biased to use scotty or odyssey. 

bad bias - have heard nightmare stories on PXG so tend to avoid. 

Kyle

WITB:

Callaway Rogue LST 10.5

Ping G425 5 Wood

Callaway Rogue LST 3 Wood

Taylormade Sim 2 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged Iron Set

Cleveland RTX Wedges

Scotty Phantom 11.5 Putter

Ball: Pro V1 or Chromesofts

Negative bias towards PING equipments (or bad experience), but a buddy of mine is willing to sell his soul to get me to try a PING driver to fix my long game off the tee... lol

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I don't think I'm good enough or wealthy enough to play Titleist anything.

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (45")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I do have a bias to Callaway for sure. I have swung other clubs but I am for now very biased to one brand, lol. It's the sound and feel I get from the Paradym set that I enjoy over anything else I have hit a golf ball with.

Paradym Driver

Paradym Super Hybrid

Paradym 3 & 5 hybrid

6-PW Paradym 

52 Degree Paradym

56&60 Jaws Raw wedges 

LAB MEZZ MAX putter

My biggest golf bias is that PXG is the best value in golf. When they are having their sales (which seems to be constant now) or you are able to use military discount nobody can beat the product you get for the price you pay. 

Does a FIR care WHICH fairway its in?

:PXG: Gen 5 - MCA Diamana S+ 60g - S

:PXG: 0211 3W MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 75 - S,

:PXG: 0211 22 Hybrid MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 - S

:PXG: 6i - Pw - V2 Elevate Tour S

:cleveland-small: CBX2 54, 58

:PXG: Gunboat

I have become a firm believer that with today’s game and technology being fit for your clubs is a must. We used to have 3 options when buying off the shelf clubs R,S, and A shafts. I played Wilson Staff muscleback blades for years with dynamic gold S shafts…and they served me well in my younger years. Then around 40 and not having the time to play as much raising a family I moved over to Ping to try and help with forgiveness, however I missed the butter feel of my forged irons. The distance I gained however kept me there. As I moved into my mid 50’s I realized that I was losing swing speed and distance due to physical limitations due to a bad back..so it all came down to finding clubs that could help me recover lost yardage and several sets and years later I finally went for a fitting with PXG and after a tremendous experience of testing various shafts I found a setup that worked very well for where my game is at presently. I know many don’t care for Bob Parsons but his product is first class and luckily I  qualify for his Hero’s pricing. I finally found an iron that gives me that buttery feel, good look at setup, and performance I was hoping to find again. So for me I’m a PXG fan I really believe they are in a class above.

Driver PXG 0311 Black Ops 10.5 Cypher R Flex

3&5 Woods PXG 0311 Gen 5 Cypher R Flex

4 Utility PXK 0311 Gen 5 Cypher R Flex

5-GW PXG 0311 Gen 5 Cypher A Flex

Wedge 56 Taylormade MG4

Grip JumboMax JMX Zen Lite Medium

Putter Lab Mezz Max Broomstick @42.5x78.5

I definitely have a few -

Ping Irons (have played with the last 20 years)

Vokey Wedges - have never used another. Absolutely love them and they work!

Ecco/Foot Joy shoes - Ecco 1st but expensive and tend to be ugly. Foot Joy 2nd and usually end up with them.

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

Positive Vibes

Taylormade. The older RSi 1’s were in my estimation the best look/ feel irons I’ve ever owned. Someone offered me way over what I paid and they were gone. One of my worst decisions. Plus the corporate guys have been no less than A+ anytime I’ve reached out. Still have SIM driver and an old RBZ 3HL fairway wood that I would never part with.

Mizuno. Using a set of Mizuno JPX 921 Pro irons that I have a love hate relationship with. When hit pure, there is no better sound/ feel/ end result. 

Titleist. I game Vokey wedges and a 913 H 24 degree Rescue all of which are dependable. 

Cure. While not exactly a household name, Cure build great putters. I have every model made and often alternate depending on how I feel

Bobby Grace. Just picked up his M5K-GT (I know it’s old but so am I). Love the feel.

No one has talked specifically about shafts. The UST design is the best I have ever played. I carry their Mamiya Recoil in all of my irons and own 16 new backups in the event I purchase a couple of additional iron sets in the years to come.

Neutral

Cleveland Srixon. Nice looking irons but could never find common ground with them.

Ping. Good brand. Just never think of them when looking for a new set.

Negative 

Callaway. Never a fan

PXG Never played the club and have no desire to. The guy has an ego the size of Texas and he alone turns me off.

Using Cure CX3 putter

My current fetish is Miura irons. I have neither the skill or aptitude to hit them as well as I'd like, and always score better when playing more forgiving clubs yet the feel of a well struck iron while rare, is worth the effort. 

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

My equipment bias is one length irons.  I was fit for my Cobra LTDX One Length irons and my distance and gapping is spot on.

:callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST Max Driver 12.5 degree with 

:taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 5 wood

:callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST Max 4 hybrid

:cobra-small: LTDX One Length 5 hybrid, 6 thru SW irons with :kbs: shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Studio Style Newport 2.5 putter

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft triple track golf balls

:ShotScope: Connex Mobile Enabled Performance Tracking Tags

Hi, my name is Oliver and I'm a compulsive Titleist user...

- Irons - Currently moving from Titleist 620 MB to the new Titleist T100

- Driver: Titleist TSR2

- Fairway: Titleist TSi

- Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 (replacement to SM9 coming!)

- Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2

- Ball: Titleist Pro V1

- Bags, hats, ball markers....you guessed it, Titleist. 

No Titleist shirts...I'm committed to just wearing shirts from my club.

Shoes: Couple pair of Footjoy (Titleist family) but also Ecco and Travis Mathew.

I'm working on my problem...but damn....they are just so good!

54 year old Titleist Guy...

TSr2 Driver / TS2 3W / TS2 4H / T100 5-GW (50) / SM9 54-12 / SM9 58-4 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 

Ball depends on weather - Pro V1x Left Dash / Pro V1

Current Index 8.5 / Low Index 7.3

75-90 Rounds Per Year

Garage Sim Setup: Garmin R10/Carls Place 12'x9' impact screeen and Carls Place mat / GS Pro

If you look at my signature it will give you a decent idea...

I really like Cobra. They perform really well and are usually priced just a little below the big brands.

Mizuno for the feel in the irons. I did have Cobra irons in the past though.

Vokey for the wedges. I have tried others and haven't found anything as good for me yet.

Odyssey for my putter. Love the results, feel and shape of the putter.

I don't like Scotty Cameron (but that's mostly to annoy my playing partner and tell him that he overpaid for his putter)...

Not a fan of Callaway, although I did love my old FT iq square head driver (couldn't miss the fairway with that thing).

I think I would play almost anything that would make me better but even in a fitting there is only so much time and they only have so many clubs that you can try so you'll never know if there was something better. Don't get me wrong, I'll still get fit for my next set of irons but I'm always wondering, could I have found something better???

Edited by lacou19

-Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5 (Kai'Li Stiff shaft)

-5 wood: Cobra Aerojet (stiff shaft)

-Hybrids: Cobra F7 stiff shaft set at 19.5 and 23.5 degree

-Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 forged 5 to PW ( Project X LZ 6.5)

-Wedges: Vokey SM7, 50, 54 and 58 degree

-Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7 (33 inches)

I play between 70 to 80 rounds per year. Living in Alberta, Canada, our season is shorter and with work, that is all I can get in, but watch out when I retire...

P.S. The picture is from my favorite course so far.

I'm sure I can list some brands specifically...but I am open to trying a lot of things, so focusing more on categories (which encompass groups of brands/styles). The biggest one: when it actually comes down to putting up money for fittings or a big club purchase, I have this big unfounded bias (I've broken from this successfully with putters, though):

What's the anticipated resale value?

Unfounded because...when it comes time to get the next set, I don't actually care! I shifted from trying to get the most out of resale to feeling like it's not worth the time (comparing to spending that time being a dad, or cutting into sleep time, etc.) -- instead, I've handed things over to friends, donated to a local High School team, save some of them, etc. At my last iron fitting, Srixon and Mizuno were comparable with Srixon taking a slight edge, but I went Mizuno. Similar for drivers -- absolutely bombing a Srixon, opted for Callaway (and now Taylor).

Other biases (some founded, some not): 

Saddle shoes - used to buy them "because that's what golf shoes are supposed to look like", but now I'm anti-saddle, think other styles look a lot better, and like that golf shoe popularity evolved to different / more casual looks

Scotty -- overpriced, and I just think other brands build a better putter (at least "for me")

Stock / off-the-rack wood shafts - cue the crew that defends these as "the real deal now", but I won't buy one, unless it's just to get my hands on the head. Now, I think that's more my specific game than the shafts themselves -- my Stealth has something close to a stock / not-fully-custom-build option, but my fitting clearly showed I needed something heavier, so I have a version of the shaft that had to be custom-ordered (still through TM, though). 

Brands purchased by Dick's - Top Flite, Maxfli come to mind (don't Google that category verbatim 🤣). To be fair, though, in my quest to learn lefty alongside my 2 year old, I am buying the lefty gear from these brands, because it's inexpensive.

Flat-brim hats and Joggers - image.png.63f5ddb8ee6a39247bfcbd5a915f1b27.png  -- Joggers bias only applies only on the course, I do love them as casual wear, but it took me a long time to get there.

Bags made by big clubmakers - only exception is Ping, because I was a Hoofer guy until a few years ago. Haven't tried every brand, but haven't like the ones I tried (notably Callaway and TM, haven't tried Titleist). I now prefer my bag to be designed/made by a bag company, not a club company (I know, some are from bag companies with a brand added, but not always the case). 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

My only opinion is that the TaylorMade Spider putters are trash and a lot of better players are compromising their game by using them.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

just read my WITB... I have always been a Taylormade guy. I have never owned anything else from supersteels to speedblades to my second set of 790s. it fits me, they feel the best and I love what brand presents with innovations and design. As a personal confirmation. I was on holiday in Scotland and Ireland for golf the last 10 days and when I left Scotland for Ireland my clubs decided to continue vacationing in Edinburgh airport. I shot sub 80 with my own clubs in Scotland and had to rent clubs in Ireland. 1st round was with Aerojet and shot 87. 2nd day I played Callaway and shot an 84 and Final day I shot and 80 with Titleist clubs and if not for a double bogey (they were blades, which I have never played before). I would have broke 80. But None of the clubs felt right compared to my 790s. 

Bottom line my Bias is pretty self explanatory

tmlogo.JPG.0367b02a28c6a9fcb72d4b6aba7d1c5c.JPG

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2

Fairway- Taylormade Stealth Plus

Hybrid - Taylormade SIM2

Irons - Taylormade Phantom Black

Wedges - Taylormade MG2

Putter - Taylormade Spider GT Notchback

Balls - Taylormade PIX

57 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I’ll play!  As I looked through your list, I knew all the brands.   the only one I haven’t tried is the Sacks Parente but is one I want to try since I am a putter guy.    

Red Rooster - impressive

Sub 70 - solid gear, great customer service

Takomo - maybe a bit too small; limited configurations 

New Level - one of my favorite irons in most wanted testing 

Haywood - acceptable. Not great but not bad. 

MacGregor - classic name, but not what they used to be.  

Caley - loved the utility iron. 

Sacks Parente - did the stock debacle significantly damage the company?  Avoid unless I can snag one cheap.  

Indi Golf - up and comer  

Edison - expensive and not better for me.  

Interesting views from someone who has tried a bunch of stuff.  I have less knowledge about DTCs, but have used a few and I like them.  They represent great value and in most cases close to big name performance and quality.  The biggest issue with DTC is getting fit or taking a flyer and trying it out.  

In terms of DTC, I like Takomo irons (101Ts), Haywood (wedges) and Red Rooster (love the quality and fit), Edel (wedges are great), Stitch (clothes & headcovers) and Dormey (head covers). 

I do admit that I am totally biased for Titleist.  Love the quality, fit and product range.  If money was no object I would be all over a full set of all Titleist with upcharge shafts.

But for my ball, I am Srixon guy now.  Only do to MGS.  Moved on from Titleist Pro Vs.  Better value and great performance.  I like that if I find it off the fairway it’s usually mine. 😂

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x (MGS Tester ‘24) / GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

20 minutes ago, bens197 said:

My only opinion is that the TaylorMade Spider putters are trash and a lot of better players are compromising their game by using them.

I know you are a firefighter but that is a hot take right there, make sure you have an extinguisher handy.

200w.gif.769b7a0cedfc4ea27f976836b60ed5a7.gif

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

That's it!! blame the putter not the loose nut behind it

tmlogo.JPG.0367b02a28c6a9fcb72d4b6aba7d1c5c.JPG

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2

Fairway- Taylormade Stealth Plus

Hybrid - Taylormade SIM2

Irons - Taylormade Phantom Black

Wedges - Taylormade MG2

Putter - Taylormade Spider GT Notchback

Balls - Taylormade PIX

I think we're lucky that there is great depth in golf equipment - all with good quality and plenty of options. It really comes down to individual preferences and getting properly fit.

I have a heavy equipment bias favoring PING. Karsten Solheim was one of the most impactful figures in golf history - and his designs have essentially been copied by the majority of the industry. I've primarily played PING for the past 20 years - as they are high quality - with excellent customer support. My wish is that they could recapture the magic of their putter line. PLD line seems pretty strong - but believe there is an opportunity to improve their mid-level offering. I'd love to see a double-wide Anser - milled stainless steel - without an insert - at a more affordable price point. Perhaps an extension/update of the Redwood line (which I thought was terrific).

I think one of the best deals in golf is the Kirkland golf gloves. Four high quality leather gloves for $22 is a steal!

TaylorMade has frustrated me over the years - not because of their quality (they make great stuff) - but rather their product cycle. It seemed like they would have a new product launch every six months.

Titleist is my leader for golf balls. They always perform well in testing (including MyGolfSpy's testing) and their quality/consistency seems peerless. I currently play the ProV1x or Left Dash. However, there is so many great options available now - with the Vice Pro Plus being my favorite mid-price ball.

I've played golf for over 50 years - and over the years, I've played almost every brand....except Nike. I'm sure their equipment was fine -- but I was never compelled to play Nike.

WITB:

Driver - PING G425 - 10.5 - ALTA CB 55|S

Fairway - PING G425 - 3W & 5W Alta CB 65|S

Hybrid - PING G425 - 4H - PING Tour 85|S

Irons - PING i525 - 5-U - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105|S

Wedges - PING Glide 4 - 54*/S.12 & 58*/T.6

Putter - Sub 70 - 002 (mid-mallet)

Ball - Titleist Pro V1X