Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sorting through Swing Thoughts / Accountability thread

Don’t know what came over me but I practiced little pitch shots for an hour tonight. Just a really fun way to relax and the weather was beautiful. Instead of setting up with the clubface open, I was hitting them more with a square face and had them coming out lower but more controlled. May just be a temporary thing but something tells me this may just be a better way. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Two day stroke play tournament this weekend. My first (real) golf competition outside of a member/guest in two years. I am starting to get a bit anxious about it but I think it is important to "stress test" my game at this point. My past 5 scores at this course are as follows - 74, 81, 76, 72, 79. I think it is safe to say that anything around 80, in a tournament setting, will be a good result. I honestly don't care much about trying to win (I would have to play WAY over my ability to win my flight) but I more interested in staying mentally tough and keeping a good attitude. It would also be great to hit some good shots under pressure. Anyway, I am trying not to overprepare but my wife and kids are out of town so I am doing something golf related every evening this week. 

Prep Schedule (not trying to overprep, really I just am excited to be able to play golf everyday)
Tuesday: I hit on the range for about 45 minutes with 1/2 and 3/4 8 irons. Mostly good and then hit pitches for an hour which started off rough but I found a feel early on (all about the release) and rode that the rest of the way. Hit some EXCELLENT shots towards the end and jarred a few from 25 yds out. 
Wednesday: Walking 9 after work. May try to play an extra ball if the course isn't busy. 
Thursday: Putting and short game practice. Getting my lies and lofts checked real quick.
Friday: At least hitting a few balls with the adjusted lies and lofts (they shouldn't have moved THAT far since last year) 

Random Fears:
- Do I know the rules well enough? I understand all of what I would call the basic rules but every few weeks something happens in a round and I sit there and think "I am not quite sure I know the rule there." The latest one I had was an embedded ball just off the fairway in the "first cut". I wasn't sure if I got embedded ball relief in the rough (turns out I do) so I played the ball as it was. Stuff like that. Not your general OB rules or not grounding your club in sand or certain hazards.  
- What if my game falls apart and I am slow or what if I get nervous and start playing insanely fast?
- Will I feel the urge to abandon what I am working on? This has been an issue in the past but I *think* I have been at this swing change long enough to know that there isn't really an alternative at the moment. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

19 hours ago, vandyland said:

Don’t know what came over me but I practiced little pitch shots for an hour tonight. Just a really fun way to relax and the weather was beautiful. Instead of setting up with the clubface open, I was hitting them more with a square face and had them coming out lower but more controlled. May just be a temporary thing but something tells me this may just be a better way. 

Just gonna leave a some videos for you to compare your motion to a couple good wedge players 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

EDIT: LOW HDCP ALERT 💫 - I am now down to a 4.5 after last night's round which is my low HDCP for the last 2 years and basically my lowest ever (I was a 3.9 for like a second back in 2020). Very exciting but I know that there will continue to be ups and downs and it will be hard to stay here. I just want to stay the course but also enjoy this moment!

Thanks, RB, for the videos!

Yesterday was a good encapsulation of why I am excited about being in a club now. I teed off at 5:20 (walking) with two other players expecting to only get 9 holes in. Well, we made it to the turn at 6:50 and the sun was still decently high in the sky so I turned and putted out on 18 at 7:58 pm right as the sun was setting. Truly an amazing time to be playing golf at the point in the day. Also, hit the ball really well (for me) outside of one long iron approach and one drive. I shot 77 with a triple bogey in there (the aforementioned bad drive AND long iron approach) so I am hopeful that this will continue into the weekend. Most of my game feels pretty good so I will probably just go hit some pitch shots today, at most. 

Edited by vandyland

8 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Thanks, RB, for the videos!

Yesterday was a good encapsulation of why I am excited about being in a club now. I teed off at 5:20 (walking) with two other players expecting to only get 9 holes in. Well, we made it to the turn at 6:50 and the sun was still decently high in the sky so I turned and putted out on 18 at 7:58 pm right as the sun was setting. Truly an amazing time to be playing golf at the point in the day. Also, hit the ball really well (for me) outside of one long iron approach and one drive. I shot 77 with a triple bogey in there (the aforementioned bad drive AND long iron approach) so I am hopeful that this will continue into the weekend. Most of my game feels pretty good so I will probably just go hit some pitch shots today, at most. 

You’re welcome. I noticed no hip shoulder rotation on the backswing. Something I’m subject to doing to. Getting the legs working in pitching will carry over to the full swing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Well, had a good weekend and won my tournament in a one-hole playoff after shooting 77/78. Pretty validating on the ballstriking front but putting was not great (missed a few shorties). I guess that can be expected with nerves and such. Overall it was a great experience and good confidence building. Didn't lose my feels on the full swing the entire time which was great and irons felt like they were on autopilot. Will be back to practicing this week. 

Hit balls for 20 minutes on / 5 minutes off x 3 last night using my 9 iron and working on 3/4 swings. Found that I still have to fight the urge (and will always) to get my hips out front. As soon as my hands start speeding up and "beating" my hips to the ball the strike gets much better. Also worked on alignment and setup as I have a tendency to start to open up my shoulders at setup from looking down my target line. Will need to start working on putting a bit as the 4-6 footers are giving me the heebie jeebies right now. 

I also think I am going to play in my club's match play championship. I will not be able to win that (not overall, maybe a lower flight) but another good stress test for me. It seems like the crucible of competition really stressing putting and short game more than anything at the moment. 

Went to the range yesterday and hit 3/4 and full 8 irons exclusively. Worked on what we are always working on these days:

1) Keeping eye line fixed
2) Lateral shift toward target before end of backswing
3) Cast A without spinning out or opening up early, feels like hands get ahead of trail thigh at shaft parallel in the downswing

What was interesting is that my strike pattern is moving back toward the center and even a little toward the heel. Previously my misses were toe side. I think as I improve my sequencing (hopefully) the strike naturally gets closer to the center and now my miss feels like it is getting closer to a shank. My hypothesis is that in those instances I am not releasing the club enough so I am presenting more of the hosel. I actually hit an almost shank but corrected it the very next swing. While that is scary, I *think* I know the cause. 

My posting has slowed down so I hope I am not getting complacent. Played 18 yesterday and shot 75 (2.4 differential) and I am now down to a 3.1 HDCP which is good and bad. Good because I think it reflects how well I have been playing lately, though I don't look at handicap as absolute measurement of skill....it is at least a decent directional indicator. Bad news is that it still feels a bit temporary. I have more confidence now that I can keep it going but there is always the doubt in my mind that...any day...it could fall apart. But that is golf right? 

Lately, I have been driving it quite well and I think that is the key determinant of my lower scores. What is funny is that I almost never "practice" driver. Our range is a tad short so you can't really hit driver most days or you will fly the net and get fined. Using Monte's advice, I really only hit 7/8/9 irons on the range working on my swing feels and it seems to transfer to everything. When I warmup on the range now, I only take an 8 iron and hit 75% shots. 

One other bright spot is that I feel like I am playing with only ONE swing thought, which I can't ever remember having only one swing thought! Basically just a thought that reminds me to have fast hands that don't get stuck and get down to my trail thigh at shaft parallel in the downswing. 

My last few rounds strokes gained have kind of told the story (these are strokes gained against a scratch so I will typically be, in the aggregate, negative overall):

Driving: +1.50, +1.40, +1.20
Approach: -0.20, -1.60, +1.40
Short: -0.20, -0.10, -1.40
Putting: -0.50,+2.70, -2.70

Have been positive strokes gained driving most every round since Monte's clinic. Approach is up and down but I *feel* like I am hitting my irons well. Short game is all down to whether or not I land in a bunker(s) as I still struggle to get up and down from there. Putting is extremely streaky so that 2.70 is directly offset by a -2.70. 

Also, looked at my differentials BEFORE Monte (I went to his clinic on July 15th - indicated by yellow line) and after and....wow. Still a few up and down rounds BUT I have several sub 2 differentials which is mindblowing to me:

image.png.6905ffdee76cbb3fe0a3ae96bb8ae0dd.png

Edited by vandyland

Hit balls last night and it was the first time in a few weeks where I kind of lost my "feel". Swing felt slappy and wipey and like my hips (as always) were throwing me out of sequence. Had to back down to 1/4 swings for a while and gradually work up from there. Even at that point the swing still felt like it was "on the edge". I didn't try to grind through it but, rather, after about 15 minutes said I will just try again tonight and see if we can attack it from a different angle. My hips are either/both opening too fast or/and early extending into the ball. Will have to check it on video. 

IN OTHER NEWS - Mizuno Long Game clubs should be coming in today so I will have even more incentive to work on my game AND test these clubs. It will also get me on a trackman to see if my numbers have improved at all during this run of good play. HOPEFULLY IT CAN LAST. 

Edited by vandyland

Happy testing day to me! The clubs are in and they are SWEEEET. I already posted a bunch of pictures in the testing forum but I have to reproduce this photo here for effect:

E15353CA-1652-4D4C-828A-369D9456B93C.jpeg.729ee2c30353e9b2d9c04b6e71fb03a9.jpeg

I did hit a few shots with my short irons and found the swing felt better. My hypothesis is that I was early extending a bit in the downswing (again) and that was getting me out of sequence and moving my strike pattern heel side. I used the "zipper away" feel to keep my extension to a minimum and that seemed to help a great deal. Also took a few swings with the Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi and it felt....hot...in a good way. Just a really nice feeling at impact. That might be the club I am most excited about at the moment. 

Edited by vandyland

Good golf weekend! Was able to put my new Mizunos through their paces and get them out on the course. Saturday I was on the trackman simulator for a hour and half getting data and then Sunday was actual 18 holes of golf. Overall I got back to my release feel from the top of the backswing and that helped immensely. I think I am still swinging it well and this is (don't jinx it) the longest run of "good golf" I think I have had in quite some time. My last 6 rounds (including competitions) have gone:

78 - Differential of 4.9
75 - Diff of 2.4
77 - (Tournament round) - Diff of 4.0
78 - (Tournament round, torrential downpour) - Diff of 4.9
73 - Diff of 1.6
77 - Diff of 4.0

I would say the lion's share of these scores are down to driving and approach play. Putting and short game is up and down (haha) and feels pretty random at this point. So how do I get better? I think it comes down to several items. 

10-30 yd pitch shots from different lies -- this is fairly easy to practice so I think more time should be here. 
8-12 foot putts - I don't expect to make all of these of course but I am a little below scratch average on makes here. So just getting more aggressive (I leave more putts short than long) and trying to make birdies rather than trying to avoid bogey might be an interesting mindset. 
Finally, I think I should be more aggressive on Par 5s, I layup...a lot...and I'm not sure why. It's not like I am a terrible hybrid player or a phenomenal wedge player. I think I will try "going for it" for a while and see how that suits me. 

Had a good day hitting driver on the simulator yesterday for the Mizuno Long game test. Very consistent path and face to path and only had to toss out a few shots. Overall the swing feels fluid and I don't have to think about much these days (I am sure that will change). I have my Club Championship about a week and a half from now so I do need to get my clubs dialed. Basically I need to decide which of the Mizunos are going in the bag and then which lob wedge I want to play with.

Driver: Cobra Radspeed vs Mizuno STZ 230 -- this is a fairly easy one. The Mizuno is clearly better and I think it has several things going for it that I like - flatter lie angle, shorter shaft length but has the same ball speeds and carry. Overall more accurate. So the only thing it doesn't have is more distance, which is fine because the misses are better and fewer. 

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* vs Mizuno STZ 230 (17-20* adjustable) -- So I definitely like the Mizuno better but I haven't messed with the hosel settings at all. After testing this with my driver, I am curious if there are efficiencies to be gained through lowering the loft slightly (from 19* to 17.8*). This is the next longest club in my bag behind driver so out and out distance could/would be helpful and might give me better gapping. 

Utility: Callaway Apex Forged UT 21* vs Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 21.5* -- this is one where the Mizuno has just not asserted itself. I would have thought this would have been a slam dunk for Mizuno given that the Callaway is from 2014 and I bought it used for $20 but so far the Callaway is outperforming. 

Lob Wedge: I have a ping glide 4.0 58* and a maltby max milled 58*. The ping has better feel and does a little better on a dead center strike, maltby is better out of the sand and on slightly missed strikes. They both have similar bounce profiles but the maltby has a wider sole so probably more effective bounce. Anyway, I think I can play with either so probably just stick with the maltby for confidence out of the sand. 

Hit the range, the simulator and the short range today for a toasty practice session in the 100+ degree heat today. Figured out my utility iron and got some really nice 210ish carry out of it:

Overall, happy with my game. Bad shots happen but I can quickly diagnose/feel the issue in the downswing or at impact. That is comforting for now.

Also hit sand shots for 15 minutes and feel a lot better in there. Releasing the club properly and point of entry behind the ball helped immensely. I will *cautiously* say I see why pros think sand shots are easy. Out of really good, consistent sand, you just hit the same general spot behind the ball and it pops out. Now, hard packed muni sand is a different story…

Got some glamour shots in of my new utility and hybrid after they had  hit a few shots. Not surprisingly they are doing well in my bag!EE9EFC64-D51E-49BD-9A64-70495AC2D3E5.jpeg.2a17b0115e0a857dc2f3a4045307f164.jpegE332DDD7-002F-42D5-B259-446FAF9C1434.jpeg.9e56e76b08dfa16606c588ba0804f905.jpeg33E9B2FE-EEC6-459D-81F9-3BD2EC02A672.jpeg.77d8040c8902b28d3354de7f4f021fb3.jpeg56C1EAF8-306F-418A-84AE-045DA54319FA.jpeg.921adb9d59e9d757cc0dde19670c8594.jpegFDF7CF01-1460-4F9D-AC5F-95C6C8C05A2D.jpeg.c8f505623f048f96790fbc504d88a683.jpeg

Played on Sunday, shot 75 from the Blues which was a 2.4 differential which gets me down to a 2.8 HDCP. I have said before that I don't think HDCP Index is end all, be all of skill evaluation but seeing my handicap start with a "2" is jarring. Definitely the longest stretch of "good golf" I have ever had (did I jinx it?). I have the club championship this weekend which I shouldn't be able to win (there are at least 7 guys playing with stronger indexes than me and 4 that are + handicaps) but I may be able to sneak into the top flight. 

I have been driving the ball well pretty much week in and week out since Monte's clinic. I hit 14/18 greens yesterday which has been the standard. Wedges and around the green chipping has gotten better. I even hit a 6 iron out of a fairway bunker from 177 yds to 11 ft yesterday. The only thing that is lagging (pun intended) is putting. I was burning edges all day yesterday so I think my stroke is okay. I still have a 3 putt every round (which I think is normal) but I just don't quite get enough out of my putting currently. I don't think I can drive the ball much better. I could probably get a 1/2 a shot if I hit my long irons and hybrids a little closer but really it comes down to putting most days. 

3 hours ago, vandyland said:

The only thing that is lagging (pun intended) is putting.

Yes. Lag putting, aka distance control, imho one of the more important skills in golf.

Yes it's awesome when you stick an approach nice and close, but if you're confident in your first putt from almost anywhere on any green I think that takes a lotta pressure off the approach shots.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Played the club championship this past weekend. Qualifying was from the tips so we played 6,900 yds which is about 500 yds longer than I normally play. In any event I shot 78 which kept me out of the top 2 flights (8 guys each) so I ended up in the 3rd flight. Lost in match play but shot 75 and was down 3 holes at one point and got back to 1 down on #15. Had putt from 14 ft on 18 to birdie and push it to extra holes and cupped out. Overall happy with how I played and I think it was great experience to play with some really good players. 3 guys shot 68 in qualifying so I am still a long away from being competitive in this but enjoyed it. 

Grades: 

Driving Distance - A+
Driving Accuracy - B
Approach play - A-
Wedge Play - B
Around the green - B-
Lag Putting - C
Short Putting - A

lag putting was a low light. Just never got speeds right on putts over 20 feet BUT canned a ton of putts from 5ft to 10ft. Wedges and short game was meh and bunker play was very sketchy. I was doing great full swing which was very validating for the entire basis of this thread.

Have hit balls 3 out of 4 nights this past week and contact has been quite good. It's amazing how I still have to start out with a few air swings just to ingrain that release of the club and no early body turn. It just seems like that original swing feel is never going to go away. But the upside is that the "new swing" feels fairly natural and I can achieve it with only 1 swing thought. 

The current areas that are giving me concern are pitches from 20-40 yds, bunker play and putting distance control. I don't have a great place to practice at the house for the first two so I will just have to try to prioritize that when I get to the golf course. I do have a good drill that someone turned me on to that works on those items. 

Drill:

Hit 5 shots from 15-20 yds out over a bunker, all 5 balls have to be on the green and within 20 feet of the hole (pretty low bar but stick with me here)
Then hit 5 shots from the green side bunker, all 5 balls have to be on the green and within 20 feet of the hole
Then hit 5 shots from the fringe, all 5 balls have to be within 10 feet of the hole

If, at any time, you fail to get the ball on the green and within the required distance you have to start over. So this adds pressure to each shot which I think is helpful. A more advanced version of this would be to hit 1 shot from each spot and then move to the next spot and then have to go through that cycle 5 times. 

On the putting front, I have decided to dip my toe into the green reading books since I play the same course all the time. I ordered a greens book from Strackline so it should at least give me a better indication of some of the subtle breaks out here. I am usually pretty confused on a lot of these putts so this will help on the slope side (these are also Bermuda greens so I have to read the grain as well which I have gotten better at). 

Well, this was the day I had been waiting on, the "struggle" day. I had an absolutely psycho front 9 where I started out double bogey, birdie, par, double bogey, birdie. Truly bizarre. I was fighting an "off" feeling in my full swing the entire day. I did manage to limp on the front 9 with a bogey and some pars and made the turn at 39. Drove the green on #10 (only about 310 to do so) and then 3 putted for a par. Parred the next 3 holes while my swing felt like it was hanging by a thread. Bogeyed the short par 3 #14 and then bogeyed the par 5 #15. Made a birdie coming in to shoot 37 on the back and shoot 76 on the day. Really, a very surprising score (surprisingly good) in the face of what felt like terrible swings. The ball still going the correct distances but coming out of a strange "window" and I felt like I was saving it constantly. Strokes gained pretty much told the story:

Driving: +1.00 (despite hitting two balls OB)
Approach: -1.30 (iron play felt bad)
Short: -0.90 (bad sand play mostly)
Putting: +1.30 (I got my Strackaline green reading book which was surprisingly helpful, we have very subtle breaks that are hard to read out here)

I went straight to the range after the round to try to experiment. I *think* it is me opening the clubface in the backswing and being slightly open at the top this is causing me to either wipe across the ball or have to aggressively close the face through impact which typically leads to pull hooks. So I am back to working on Monte's part 1 and part 2 of the backswing at night. Had some good strikes towards the end of my range session and at home into the net (yes I am back grinding). 

Ultimately, I got a bit comfortable because this was my longest stretch of good play probably ever. I had not shot a round over 78 in my last 11 rounds of golf which is unreal. So I got a little lazy on my practice and I think I lost a few of my fundamentals. This was my wakeup call without it being a "bad" round. 

Very timely post for me.  I just finished my course's Club Championship event and played very "mediocre".  Today, I'm dedicating myself (again) to improving pretty much every aspect of my game for next year's CC, and hopes to move out of the 1st Flight and into the Championship Flight.  Also, I will be eligible for the Senior Championship next year... so Double Incentive.  The one thing I have moved away from this year (no excuses, but just finding time to golf has been more of a challenge for personal reasons than previously) is tracking my rounds with data.  Strokes Gained metrics helped me a lot last year in focusing my practice... and your post above reminded me Vandy.  Thank you. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

Very timely post for me.  I just finished my course's Club Championship event and played very "mediocre".  Today, I'm dedicating myself (again) to improving pretty much every aspect of my game for next year's CC, and hopes to move out of the 1st Flight and into the Championship Flight.  Also, I will be eligible for the Senior Championship next year... so Double Incentive.  The one thing I have moved away from this year (no excuses, but just finding time to golf has been more of a challenge for personal reasons than previously) is tracking my rounds with data.  Strokes Gained metrics helped me a lot last year in focusing my practice... and your post above reminded me Vandy.  Thank you. 

that is so great that you have jumped right back in with a plan for next year, is there any "obvious" improvement areas from keeping the metrics? I am trying to get my head around areas I need to improve as well for next year, great time to do it... 

committed to performance excellence

So, my tournament season is over, I have played in 11 tournaments since May, the travel hasn't been too bad, off Vancouver Island 4 times but not much further east than Kelowna BC.

If I was to grade my year I would say C+. And in my mind that is not good enough for the time, effort and money spent to try and compete at a high senior level.

So now I have to sit down, as I usually do, and decide what the heck to do in the offseason. 

A couple of determining factors could be, I turn 65 next month which puts me in a different division (super senior), I am pretty sure I will stay closer to home for tournament if I do play in some, I have figured out I dont like to be away from home for long periods and the cost is less. 

I am looking forward to getting fitted this month for iron shafts for my Tacomo's so there's that. 

I do want to reach out to this forum and thank MGS for giving me the a place to put my thoughts in words and for all your feedback, it has been a fun summer... 

14 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

that is so great that you have jumped right back in with a plan for next year, is there any "obvious" improvement areas from keeping the metrics? I am trying to get my head around areas I need to improve as well for next year, great time to do it... 

When I was tracking, I used the strokes gained method from Mark Broadie's book "Every Shot Counts".  Once you get used to tracking it on the scorecard, the data is really meaningful (I used the Golfmetrics app to track the data).  

For me, two areas stood out as needing focus... approach (no surprise to me there) and putting.  

The cool thing (to me) about the Golfmetrics app, is that you can adjust your target handicap, and it will give you the strokes gained measurement based on that handicap.  I set mine to scratch... so I know how may strokes I'm giving to a scratch golfer based on my performance.  

I have also tested shotscope with the club tags (still have them on some of my gamer set...) but found it easier to jot down the distances on my card, than remembering to tag the H4 device.  Not saying I won't go back to it... but stating my own preference at the time I was tracking. 

This last fall/summer, has been my lowest maintained handicap of my career... and I'm confident I have another gear... just need to put my nose to the grindstone, and work at it.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

For me, two areas stood out as needing focus... approach (no surprise to me there) and putting.  

Alright @GolfSpy TCB, what are we going to do about that? On the putting side (and maybe this is recency bias), is it bad reads? Bad distance control? Missing shorties? Hopefully not all of the above!

For approach play, do you think it is swing mechanics primarily? Sounds like you are deep in with Decade so I doubt it is strategy. Do you think it is just some range time to tighten it up? 

I prioritize hitting irons on the range (because it is fun mostly) but I need to force myself to putt a little more and work on my sand and 30-50 yd pitches. For whatever reason I don't ever practice that even though I claim to love hitting 50 yd pitch shots in practice. The sand game will hopefully come along as I keep working to transition from hard packed muni bunkers to super soft, deep club bunkers. Totally different approach required. 

I think I have just talked myself into another Monte remote lesson. Need to make sure I am on the right track with my "fixes" I am planning. I'll see what his schedule looks like.....

11 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Alright @GolfSpy TCB, what are we going to do about that? On the putting side (and maybe this is recency bias), is it bad reads? Bad distance control? Missing shorties? Hopefully not all of the above!

For approach play, do you think it is swing mechanics primarily? Sounds like you are deep in with Decade so I doubt it is strategy. Do you think it is just some range time to tighten it up? 

I prioritize hitting irons on the range (because it is fun mostly) but I need to force myself to putt a little more and work on my sand and 30-50 yd pitches. For whatever reason I don't ever practice that even though I claim to love hitting 50 yd pitch shots in practice. The sand game will hopefully come along as I keep working to transition from hard packed muni bunkers to super soft, deep club bunkers. Totally different approach required. 

I think I have just talked myself into another Monte remote lesson. Need to make sure I am on the right track with my "fixes" I am planning. I'll see what his schedule looks like.....

Putting me to test Vandy... I like that 🙂 

ok...  a quick overview... and much more detail to come (because I have a lot going on in that 6 inches between my ears). 

Putting.  3-6 foot range.  Pushes and Pulls (usually a pull followed by a push.... logical.. right? ).  I feel like I have a pretty good command of reading the lines, and reading the lines with my intended speed (which is like the rubik's cube of putting).  Lag is acceptable from distances.  I have been really focusing on letting the ball roll 2 feet past the hole, and gauging the line from that speed.  But the issue is starting the "makeable" putts on the line I read.  I have started working on moving the ball a bet back in my stance (middle... just back of middle) as I have noticed in my stroke, if I get too far forward... my putter starts to arch closed (pull) and then through my own mental magic... the next putt I will try to stop that from happening, and completely block it open.  Feeling like the ball is "back" in my stance has helped free up my stroke.  But will require more practice time to make "automatic".

Approach shots... it is all about the full shots here.  I spent a HUGE amount of time really understanding the 100 yard in shot last year.  Significantly improved my scoring (probably the single biggest factor in going from a 8 to a 3 to be honest).  As for the approach shots... using this last weekend's Club Championship as an example... pulls and hooks were my miss.  So, that tells me I was too arms-y on the takeaway... not turning my shoulders enough... so my downswing was over the top at the transition, casting on the down swing to get the club back to square, and and outside in path.  When I sync myself up (usually when I'm not thinking about anything but where the ball needs to go), it clicks like I'm not even swinging.  Good ball flight, good compression (for a slow swinger like me) and ball starting right of the target line and falling back to the left.  But when I start thinking about "do this" or "be there" in my swing... disaster strikes.  I'm sure I'm not unique in this. 🙂 

Range time?  I need more.  I have a tendency to go to the course, and go right out to the tee box.  Get my practice on the course... which isn't bad, and I'm lucky enough to be able to walk on pretty much anytime I want... and if I time it well, I am alone and either waiting on the group in front of me with nobody pushing behind, or have a few holes to myself.  So I have a chance to throw down a few balls here and there to work on grooving shots.  But when I am on the range... I rarely hit driver.  I'm all about hitting full shots with the irons on the range.  We have a practice hole that I practice my 100 yard and in shots... so I don't waste time on the range with those... I'd rather practice those shots to a green.  

Ok, there is my initial take.  Let the tutelage begin 🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

51 minutes ago, vandyland said:

some good "stuff" here, I use the "faldo, clock method" on 40-60 yd shots and it has beed successful for me, although I have been using it for about 4 years so it does take work. I work on bunker shots, like the 40-60 yd shots as part of my "pre round" routine, the bunker shots give me rythym and the 40-60 yarders give me feel, although at this time of year do I change that up for next year or keep at it, (definition of insanity eh) 

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

Putting me to test Vandy... I like that 🙂 

ok...  a quick overview... and much more detail to come (because I have a lot going on in that 6 inches between my ears). 

Putting.  3-6 foot range.  Pushes and Pulls (usually a pull followed by a push.... logical.. right? ).  I feel like I have a pretty good command of reading the lines, and reading the lines with my intended speed (which is like the rubik's cube of putting).  Lag is acceptable from distances.  I have been really focusing on letting the ball roll 2 feet past the hole, and gauging the line from that speed.  But the issue is starting the "makeable" putts on the line I read.  I have started working on moving the ball a bet back in my stance (middle... just back of middle) as I have noticed in my stroke, if I get too far forward... my putter starts to arch closed (pull) and then through my own mental magic... the next putt I will try to stop that from happening, and completely block it open.  Feeling like the ball is "back" in my stance has helped free up my stroke.  But will require more practice time to make "automatic".

Approach shots... it is all about the full shots here.  I spent a HUGE amount of time really understanding the 100 yard in shot last year.  Significantly improved my scoring (probably the single biggest factor in going from a 8 to a 3 to be honest).  As for the approach shots... using this last weekend's Club Championship as an example... pulls and hooks were my miss.  So, that tells me I was too arms-y on the takeaway... not turning my shoulders enough... so my downswing was over the top at the transition, casting on the down swing to get the club back to square, and and outside in path.  When I sync myself up (usually when I'm not thinking about anything but where the ball needs to go), it clicks like I'm not even swinging.  Good ball flight, good compression (for a slow swinger like me) and ball starting right of the target line and falling back to the left.  But when I start thinking about "do this" or "be there" in my swing... disaster strikes.  I'm sure I'm not unique in this. 🙂 

Range time?  I need more.  I have a tendency to go to the course, and go right out to the tee box.  Get my practice on the course... which isn't bad, and I'm lucky enough to be able to walk on pretty much anytime I want... and if I time it well, I am alone and either waiting on the group in front of me with nobody pushing behind, or have a few holes to myself.  So I have a chance to throw down a few balls here and there to work on grooving shots.  But when I am on the range... I rarely hit driver.  I'm all about hitting full shots with the irons on the range.  We have a practice hole that I practice my 100 yard and in shots... so I don't waste time on the range with those... I'd rather practice those shots to a green.  

Ok, there is my initial take.  Let the tutelage begin 🙂

great feedback and very understandable, on your approach shots I am thinking you are taking about your "scoring" clubs ie 7-pw? I am working on those as well and totally my miss is left... I am going to a fitter on the 15th. I will share my findings, "splatter pattern" will definitely be a topic of conversation...

16 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

great feedback and very understandable, on your approach shots I am thinking you are taking about your "scoring" clubs ie 7-pw? I am working on those as well and totally my miss is left... I am going to a fitter on the 15th. I will share my findings, "splatter pattern" will definitely be a topic of conversation...

I would say 6 - 9 irons.  I do yank on the PW on occasion, but it is usually just left of the pin, as opposed to missing the green left with the longer clubs.  Less distance to cover, harder to get that hook flight with the back spin... resulting in lower margin of miss 🙂  At least that is my take. 

But when I'm in the "miss mode" I get a similar miss from the longer irons, and the 7w and 5w... pull hook.

When I start thinking of a "checklist" as I'm setting up for the shot.  that is when things can get wonky.  I'm a feel player... the more I can just step up and hit it... the better.  but a few poorly struck shots... I start checklisting again... haha.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

Ok, there is my initial take.  Let the tutelage begin

Haha, no tutelage from me I am afraid. I know enough to know that I am not in any place to help others...I have enough trouble with myself. So I am not holding out on you but, rather, realizing that we all learn and practice differently. I was just curious how you were going about it so I could follow along. I think we might be about the same skill level (not to insult you, haha) so I will be interested in how your journey goes. I am hoping I am not at the start of a dip in form but that kind of stuff happens. 

1 hour ago, Jim Shaw said:

some good "stuff" here, I use the "faldo, clock method" on 40-60 yd shots and it has beed successful for me

I will have to check out the faldo stuff. I will say that my 40-60 yd "misses" are typically less to do with not judging the distance but often times just missing center or having a less than ideal strike. It is rare that I hit it right in the center with perfect turf interaction that it doesn't end inside 15 ft (which is all I really expect most of the time). When I practice now, I think little to no divot is kind of the ideal feedback I am looking for along with the feel of the strike. My miss is I get a little steep into the pitch shot which can cause me to pull it or slightly chunk it or just not quite get the bounce interaction I want. 

As for sand shots, I am still adjusting to a closed stance rather than an open stance (this was a Monte tip) and when it is good it is really good but it also feels a lot easier to catch the ball with this setup so I have to be careful of that. 

Edited by vandyland