US Open 2023

MattWillGolf

Congrat to Clark! nice to see him hang on to it. Did you notice the cap of his caddie, John Ellis? I would love to have one of these!

image.png.4b6703f385025a936f0675bbdd003bc8.png

Playing one length clubs in Canada 

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed, 9°  (soon to be replace by :titleist-small: TSR2 thanks to 2023 MyGolfSpy PGA Championship Pool Sponsored by Titleist TSR Woods)
3 Wood - :cobra-small:LTDx, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:LTDx, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Hybrid - , :cobra-small:19° Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S
Irons - :cobra-small:Speedzone One length 5-GW, 
Wedges - :cobra-small:King One 56° & 60°, 
Putter -   :mizuno-small:Mcraft II
Ball -   :vice:pro

Bag  :motocaddy:Pro series

A couple thoughts: I mostly enjoyed this Open and am happy for Clark that he pulled it off, although I really wanted Rickie to win. I kind of felt like it was a bit anti-climactic. Was the back 9 just too hard? It really just seemed like no one was going to make a run, rather it was more a matter of those near the top white-knuckling it and avoiding huge mistakes.

Also, does anyone else think Wyndham Clark and Matt Blois look like they could be brothers?

Question for the rules guys: Rory's ball embedded in the face of the bunker - under what circumstances would he have had to play that ball? If it had been determined it was just buried in really thick grass does he have to play it? It sounded like they were trying to determine if it was more or less under the surface of the ground.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Test Currently In ProgressFit For Golf 2.0

5 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Question for the rules guys: Rory's ball embedded in the face of the bunker - under what circumstances would he have had to play that ball? If it had been determined it was just buried in really thick grass does he have to play it? It sounded like they were trying to determine if it was more or less under the surface of the ground.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2023-why-rory-mcilroy-got-free-relief-from-bizarre-embedded-ball-situation-late-on-sunday

see rule 16.3 for the actual wording.   If the ball was just in the grass and not embedded he would have to play it or he could take an unplayable lie which incurs a penalty.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Daniel Carrier said:

Congrat to Clark! nice to see him hang on to it. Did you notice the cap of his caddie, John Ellis? I would love to have one of these!

image.png.4b6703f385025a936f0675bbdd003bc8.png

I was rooting for a Rickie win but really happy for Wyndam.  TGC had a short piece about him, his start in the sport, and the loss of his Mother to cancer just after his collegiate start at Oklahoma State (finishing at Oregon....booo 😝).  She was his inspiration and no doubt his motivation this weekend.  

This is cool.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Really wanted Rickie to breakthrough, but okay with Clark winning. Congrats to Harry Arnett, I believe that's the first MUNICIPAL sponsored golfer to win an event, and a major to boot!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

22 minutes ago, DrRob1963 said:

Not many spectators.... I thought this was an important event! Was the LACC trying to keep the riff-raff out???

numerous reasons….lack of room for spectators, not many general admission tickets sold, and reports that LACC was trying to buy all the tickets    

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2023-los-angeles-crowd-quiet-2023

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

numerous reasons….lack of room for spectators, not many general admission tickets sold, and reports that LACC was trying to buy all the tickets    

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2023-los-angeles-crowd-quiet-2023

Kinda sickening to think a club tried to make the US Open essentially a private only event.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, DrRob1963 said:

Not many spectators.... I thought this was an important event! Was the LACC trying to keep the riff-raff out???

Fans completely exhausted, disappointed, and pissed off with men's professional golf?  

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

A couple thoughts: I mostly enjoyed this Open and am happy for Clark that he pulled it off, although I really wanted Rickie to win. I kind of felt like it was a bit anti-climactic. Was the back 9 just too hard? It really just seemed like no one was going to make a run, rather it was more a matter of those near the top white-knuckling it and avoiding huge mistakes.

Also, does anyone else think Wyndham Clark and Matt Blois look like they could be brothers?

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2023-why-rory-mcilroy-got-free-relief-from-bizarre-embedded-ball-situation-late-on-sunday

see rule 16.3 for the actual wording.   If the ball was just in the grass and not embedded he would have to play it or he could take an unplayable lie which incurs a penalty.  

To add just a bit, "embedded" is specifically defined in the Rule as "When a player’s ball is in its own pitch-mark made as a result of the player’s previous stroke and where part of the ball is below the level of the ground."  If there's no part of the golf ball below the level of the ground, Relief under Rule 16.3 isn't available.  

There's another factor that the video brought to mind, its possible that the spot "immediately behind the ball" was not in the General Area, but was instead in the Bunker.  Before 2023, if neither the spot behind the ball nor the remainder of the potential Relief Area included at least a part of the General Area, free relief wasn't available.  Now under Clarification 16.3b/1, the Reference Point is defined as the nearest point to the Embedded Ball in the General Area, and not closer to the hole.  You're never denied relief for an embedded ball.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Kinda sickening to think a club tried to make the US Open essentially a private only event.

I don't buy it.  I've been hearing this rumor for several days now and it sounds to me like some combination of truth that some members did sponsor tables in other private pavillions (thereby buying multiples of more expensive tickets to share with friends and family) and general dislike of the club by those who want in but can't get in.  Case in point, Hugh Heffner's Peacocks and monkeys behind the hedge directly adjacent to the 13th tee.  There's zero actual evidence that this occurred beyond inuendo and rumor.

I don't think that the members I know need or care if I defend them and their club, but what I do know is that the club voted pretty overwhelmingly to host this, allowed their south course to be virtually destroyed for US open infrastructure requirements (including large parking areas), gave up access to play the North Course (and they play a lot) for most of the year, and seemed genuinely excited to show their golf course off.  The members pavillion was hopping, excited, friendly, and directly adjacent to the main public area.  If they'd wanted it to be private I don't think that would have flown for them.   I've found most members that I've met to be actually quite nice people atypical of your usual LA scene -- despite the stodgy reputation of the club.  So my advice is take what you hear with a grain of salt.

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Not exactly surprising that a club with the most onerous history of exclusion (no show biz folks, Jews, Italians, people of color needed to apply or try to walk through the front door or one the course until recently) would limit access to the general population.

WITB: PXG Gen 6 Driver (stiff Haz RDX Stiff -1/2”), Callaway UW17 (Haz RDX Stiff), Callaway UW19 (Haz RDX Stiff -1”), Takomo 101 4-PW (KBS 105 Reg 2 flat), Miz Pro225 G (ProjX IO 6.0), Wilson Staff HT (DynGold 120 Stiff, Honma Forged 60 (SteelFiber1 10CW XStiff), Tony Penna heel shafted square flange as

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

This was a sad moment for the US Open...

Ouch!  Just the Golf God's having a little fun with someone who stood to lose no money and already had the low amateur title secured 🤣.

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Ouch!  Just the Golf God's having a little fun with someone who stood to lose no money and already had the low amateur title secured 🤣.

His reaction is priceless I hear Scooby-Doo "Hoomm?"

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The cup was moved when a caddie pulled the pin in a prior group and it wasn’t fixed.  But what if it happened to Clark on his last putt and Rory won the playoff?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

22 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I don't buy it.  I've been hearing this rumor for several days now and it sounds to me like some combination of truth that some members did sponsor tables in other private pavillions (thereby buying multiples of more expensive tickets to share with friends and family) and general dislike of the club by those who want in but can't get in.  Case in point, Hugh Heffner's Peacocks and monkeys behind the hedge directly adjacent to the 13th tee.  There's zero actual evidence that this occurred beyond inuendo and rumor.

I don't think that the members I know need or care if I defend them and their club, but what I do know is that the club voted pretty overwhelmingly to host this, allowed their south course to be virtually destroyed for US open infrastructure requirements (including large parking areas), gave up access to play the North Course (and they play a lot) for most of the year, and seemed genuinely excited to show their golf course off.  The members pavillion was hopping, excited, friendly, and directly adjacent to the main public area.  If they'd wanted it to be private I don't think that would have flown for them.   I've found most members that I've met to be actually quite nice people atypical of your usual LA scene -- despite the stodgy reputation of the club.  So my advice is take what you hear with a grain of salt.

I thought the course and venue were very good, not great. I'm certainly not disappointed. More of the course issues I had were with the setup. 18 was just way too wide off the tee. The US Open shouldn't allow such a wayward drive like Clark's on the last hole to have no adverse result. I also thought they could have placed a few more pins in more gettable positions. Players had to pretty much get lucky to get close to a pin on their approaches, especially on the back nine. And the lack of crowds was noticeable. But the course showed very nicely on television and there were lots of interesting hole designs that were fun to watch the pros play.

1 hour ago, LICC said:

I thought the course and venue were very good, not great. I'm certainly not disappointed. More of the course issues I had were with the setup. 18 was just way too wide off the tee. The US Open shouldn't allow such a wayward drive like Clark's on the last hole to have no adverse result. I also thought they could have placed a few more pins in more gettable positions. Players had to pretty much get lucky to get close to a pin on their approaches, especially on the back nine. And the lack of crowds was noticeable. But the course showed very nicely on television and there were lots of interesting hole designs that were fun to watch the pros play.

Definitely hear you on a lot of this, though I waffle on the 18th fairway question.  While he still one he only really had an angle into the throat because of his drive and had to hit to 60 ft and lag a putt to win.  I certainly don't think it was an easy second shot for him into the green with the angle he was at.  In any case I'm curious to see what adjustments they make for the next go around in 17 years.  They certainly should be able to fit a lot more fans.  I think a lot of the issue stems from parking.  There just isn't enough, but they're going to complete the train line near the course (almost near where the ride share pickup was) so that will help and I think they've taken a ton of heat about corporate tents blocking access so hopefully they learn there.

It would definitely be fun to see them mix it up on the pin positions.  Sunday just felt like there was no way to get close unless you started earlier in the day.  One intriguing thing I've seen mentioned is that this course would be a hell of a match play venue.  LA Ryder cup could be pretty awesome if you ask me.  

I'm curious to hear how long it takes to clean up the course after this.  With all the dead grass on south course headed into the hot season I don't think that will be playable until late fall.  North will be fine, but there's definitely going to be GUR areas at the crossings which just looked absolutely smoked after the last day.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond