Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forum Member Reviews: Callaway Whitebox Testing

On 2/18/2024 at 5:26 PM, JC from SA said:

I feel like I get too focused on the lines while putting. I found myself marking and re-marking to line up the lines. And then I tended to make a more mechanical stroke because I was so focused on the line.

I felt the exact same way when I tried the triple track in the past. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

On 2/15/2024 at 9:09 AM, Mike10487 said:

Chipping day for the chrome Tour and Tour X. 

First thoughts- I had no real expectations. I thought the balls looked great, although I am not a huge fan of the Triple Track. Unless you are playing lift clean and cheat, the lines annoy me. For todays test, I aligned every shot.

Tour- Definitely the softer of the 2 balls.  It was firm enough though to not be a turn-off (ie Supersoft), but softer than I prefer. This ball performed very well on the low driving (one hop and stop) chip shot. Actually, surprisingly well. I left nearly every shot short due to the spin.  I had 2 shots that actually came back a couple inches (this never happens).  Using the alignment aid was crazy good. I didn't have a chip more than 3' offline throughout the 20 sets. Like I said, "Lift clean and cheat" lining this up this is a great tool! 

Tour-X-   Firmer ball which was to be expected. I really liked the feel of this ball.  Now for the crazy part. This was a little eye opening for me, side by side on the 10-20 yd chips, the Tour outperformed the X.  The 3-4' of roll out that I expected from the Tour was happening on the Tour X. I wasn't disappointed with the way this ball performed at all. It was very similar to what I am accustomed to with my gamer (Maxfli). A little shocked by this, I moved back to the 35-40 yd range. Eureka!! It seemed like the X needed a little faster swing speed to generate the lock down spin. I only hit a few shots from this range due to time constraints. The Tour had about the same amount of spin and the X definitely picked up in spin rate from that distance. 

I went to the practice green and rolled a few lag putts. The X felt "poppie" and seemed to travel further on 40-50' putts. the Tour was a more muted feel and didn't seem as "hot" off the face. 

To be continued...... Friday is the first on the course test.

Friday was a member/guest 9-hole, better ball event. (strange) I played the Chrome Tour. 

Driver/ tee box- From the opening tee shot this ball felt very stable with a slightly lower trajectory. I really felt in control of this ball. I hit a couple of stinger 2 irons that were nothing short of spectacular. Distance off the driver was normal to slightly above average with the workability being exceptional. I don't know if it was the ball or me at this point, but everything off the tee was exactly what I was trying to do. 

Approach shots- These greens are rock hard and normally requires a high trajectory to hold them. The Chrome Tour feels "soft" but, extremely solid off the irons. I noticed I was 2-5yds over my target on nearly every approach. I had one PW from 117 that flew 127 to the back collar. So, I would say they are longer off a well struck iron. Once again, extremely easy to lower the flight.  The Chrome Tour has just enough spin to hop and stop. Nothing spun back on any approach shots.

Chip shots- I only missed 2 greens so not many chips to report. 

Putting- This is my concern with this ball. The triple track seems too "busy" for my liking. The single line seems easier to line up. The Tour seems really soft off the putter and I left the first 3 putts short. After dialing this in, I did make 2 birdies. If this were your gamer ball, you would get used to it. If you switched back and forth with the Tour X, I would expect you to have a little trouble adjusting to the differences. 

Durability- One small blemish, I'd give it an A+.

Saturday- D.A.R.E. scramble at Vista Plantation (par 62) executive course.  16 of the 18 holes are water holes.  Played the Tour X for the first 2 holes, I went back to the Tour from Friday due to the X ripping off the front of the greens. These greens are very soft. Once again, the Tour performed pretty damn well in all facets of my game. Very solid. 

I am out of time, Sunday round to follow.    To be continued!

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

I posted a short intro a couple weeks ago, so this will be a bit more in depth. I’ve been a little quiet so far dealing with some real life stuff.

About me:

I'm 63 years old living in Maryland. I have been playing golf since I was 13 averaging 30-35 rounds a year. I retired a year and half ago and played 70 times last year! I am very lucky to live in an area that I have about 15 courses within ½ hour from home. I have always loved buying/testing/selling clubs and equipment (especially putters). I very much prefer to play instead of practice when I get time. As I mentioned before, I don’t have easy access to monitors so my testing will be done on course.

My game: 

My current handicap is 9.1. I had a nice hot streak in the summer and got it down to 7.6, but slumped in the fall. I am very consistent off the tee and solid with my irons. The carnival music usually starts up when I get inside 100 yds. Driver swing speed has dropped to 95 mph these days

Stock Yardages (Carry):

Driver: 245 yards, 3 wood: 225 yards, 2 wood: 210 yards, 4 hybrid: 190 yards, 5 iron: 175 yards, 6 iron: 165 yards, 7 iron: 155 yards, 8 iron: 145 yards, 9 iron: 130 yards, PW: 120 yards, AW (48*): 100 yards, GW (52*): 85 yards, SW (56*): 60 yards

Equipment:

Driver:  Callaway Mavrik Max, 9*, Project X Riptide 60, stiff
3 Wood: TaylorMade Stealth, 15*, Ventus Red 6, Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade Stealth, 18*, Ventus Red 6, Stiff
4 Hybrid: Callaway Rouge, 21*, KBS Prototype 85, stiff
5-AW: Callaway Steelhead Plus (7 YEARS OLD), UST Recoil 110, stiff
GW: Cleveland RTX ZipCore, 52*
SW: Cleveland RTX ZipCore, 56*
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Versa 7s, stroke lab red

Current Ball:

My current golf ball is usually a Titleist ProV1 (I get them for Christmas and birthday) but also use Callaway Chrome Soft and occasionally Bridgestone RX. I prefer a softer feeling ball with less spin.

What I Want From This Test:

Like everyone else, I'm looking to see how this new Callaway ball will compare to the gold standard ProV1 and ProV1x. I am always looking for a ball that gives the same performance. I am tall and at 63 yrs old, not that flexible anymore. My swing tends to get steep and produce higher than ideal spin. I benefit from a golf ball that gives me lower spin with a lower flight. I prefer a ball that has a soft feel around the greens to reduce some of my wedge spin and give me a softer feel off the putter.

How I'm Going To Test This:

Outside! I don’t have easy access to monitors or take the time to go to a facility to use theirs. The weather in the Washington DC area is schizophrenic this time of year. Its been fairly warm 40s and 50s, but very wet. I’ll be trying to get out twice a week as weather and other commitments allow.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

For those who are gaming these on course,  how many rounds do you think you will get out of each ball ?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

8 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

For those who are gaming these on course,  how many rounds do you think you will get out of each ball ?

So far, the CT cover (2 rounds) seems more durable than the CTX cover (1 round). At some point I will bring both of the balls back in play to find out, assuming I don't loose them first. My early guess is that I could get three, maybe four, rounds out of the CT and two rounds out of the CTX. Three rounds is doubtful.

After that, if the balls still don't have any major cuts or road rash, I move them to my "bad ball pocket". Those balls are used for out of season play, or maybe holes where there is higher probability of me losing them.

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

Temps have warmed up a little and the snow is melting. This weekend should hit high 50s and maybe 60f, so I have a tee time booked for Sunday morning. Fingers crossed the forecast is right.  That will be my first time gaming these Callaways. I'll take three of each and plan to switch at the turn.

Thought I'd share this pic with a number of comparison balls cut up alongside the sacrificial single Chrome Tour and Tour X. The ProV1 and X are unknown vintage as they're course finds from last year, but both were in decent conditions. ProV's aside, the rest were bought last year or picked up recently. I will add in a '24 TP5X, but that will have to wait til the freebies from Taylormade turn up. I do have some, but they're MyTM personalized balls that I'm not willing to cut up.lol

Always interesting to see how the different manufacturers vary thickness of each layer.

image.png.d83decb4f93af2dcdf6f059a5a804aa0.png

Edit: What I did notice is the Chrome Tour and X sections/ layers seem pretty well centered, but so are the others I cut up. I saw a social media post with a 2024 TP5 or TP5X that was badly made- off center core/ mantle and defects in the thin mantle layers. I don't see that on these.

Edited by Indy_Oz
Added note about layer centering etc.

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

ON COURSE REVIEW (1 round):

COURSE:  TPC Danzante Bay in Loreto, Mexico

FRONT 9:  Callaway Chrome Tour

BACK 9:  Callaway Chrome Tour X

OTHER:  I hit 4 tee shots (2 on each side) with my gamer (Pro V1x Left Dash) against each Callaway 

SUMMARY:  I LOVED the Tour!  I think Callaway has come close to competing with the Pro V1 series in the past, but never REALLY got all the way there.  Now, that's changed!  The Chrome Tour provides so much speed and lower spin control off the driver I was shocked!  Don't get me wrong, it won't fix a bad swing, and I had a few of those, but I was genuinely taken aback on a couple drives where I think I gained 10+ yards.  I was outdriving my playing partners that I'm normally neck and neck with, sometimes by 30+ yards!!!!

The Chrome Tour X isn't for my swing.  It's likely going to be a GREAT ball for someone with a 90-100 mph driver swing if I had to guess.  For me personally, it was noticeably higher spin and thus ballooned a few times on me so I just lost some distance.  I wouldn't say I was unhappy with it, but after hitting the Tour on the front 9 I kept being a little disappointed on the back off the tee in particular. 

With full iron shots, I think the balls are actually quite similar.  I maybe generated a touch more spin the the X, but honestly I didn't notice that I was missing short on the back 9 after switching balls.  The course had a lot of elevation changes though, so I will be very interested to see data on Trackman next week.

Greenside is where I also noticed the improvements to "catch up" to the Pro V1 status in my books.  Both of these balls are so predictable off a little pitch wedge shot. I got that "hop 'n stop" consistently with both so I have no complaints on greenside wedge game.  The only wedge shot I noticed spin hut me was a very full 56* into one of the greens with the X.  I pinched it and it went VERY high on me and ended up backing up a few feet to miss well short of my normal carry/total with that club.  I was actually glad to see it didn't spin way off the front of the green, so I think it was more the height that hurt the distance in that case. 

Putting I honestly never got on a hot streak to fall in love with either, but that's all on me.  Mid summer rounds I think I might have more "feel" to say I prefer one or the other putting, but after 1 round I see them at total equals with the flat stick. 

Durability was actually impressive for a premium golf ball construction.  I yanked one drive into the rocks and got a lovely bounce into the fairway.  After looking at the ball the "scuff" wasn't nearly what I was expecting to see.  Kudos to Callaway for not making a good ball that only lasts 3 swings!  See pics. 

IF YOU ONLY READ ONE THING:  I'm not a physicist or a psychic mind-reader, but if you have a driver clubhead speed of 105+ I think you'll love the Chrome Tour like I did.  If you're below 105 I think the Chrome Tour X will likely give you the best results.  And lastly, for the first time in my opinion, Callaway has a ball that truly goes toe-to-toe with the Pro V1 series. 

RATINGS AFTER 1 ROUND: 

Chrome Tour:  10/10   It checked every box I'm looking for in a ball.  So much so that I'm very confident I'll be buying these this summer. 

Chrome Tour X:  8.5/10   It's a solid ball, but this is where fitting matters!  It's just not right for my swing.  I'm looking forward to catching up on the conversation here and hearing what guys with sub 100 mph swing speeds have to say about this one. 

Next up is a long session on the Trackman to get some good numbers for data comparison. 

PICS & VIDEO:  

IMG_8494[1].JPG

IMG_8496[1].JPG

IMG_8497[1].JPG

Edited by Jeff in the Mitten

Jeff D.

WITB:

Stealth Plus 10.5 w/ X-Stiff Evenflow Riptide MX 70 TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3-wood w/ Steelfiber 85g X-Stiff (F5)

Taylormade P770 (2021) w/ Dynamic Gold 120 x100

Vokey SM7 wedges 54 and 58

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

13 minutes ago, Jeff in the Mitten said:

ON COURSE REVIEW (1 round):

COURSE:  TPC Danzante Bay in Loreto, Mexico

FRONT 9:  Callaway Chrome Tour

BACK 9:  Callaway Chrome Tour X

OTHER:  I hit 4 tee shots (2 on each side) with my gamer (Pro V1x Left Dash) against each Callaway 

SUMMARY:  I LOVED the Tour!  I think Callaway has come close to competing with the Pro V1 series in the past, but never REALLY got all the way there.  Now, that's changed!  The Chrome Tour provides so much speed and lower spin control off the driver I was shocked!  Don't get me wrong, it won't fix a bad swing, and I had a few of those, but I was genuinely taken aback on a couple drives where I think I gained 10+ yards.  I was outdriving my playing partners that I'm normally neck and neck with, sometimes by 30+ yards!!!!

The Chrome Tour X isn't for my swing.  It's likely going to be a GREAT ball for someone with a 90-100 mph driver swing if I had to guess.  For me personally, it was noticeably higher spin and thus ballooned a few times on me so I just lost some distance.  I wouldn't say I was unhappy with it, but after hitting the Tour on the front 9 I kept being a little disappointed on the back off the tee in particular. 

With full iron shots, I think the balls are actually quite similar.  I maybe generated a touch more spin the the X, but honestly I didn't notice that I was missing short on the back 9 after switching balls.  The course had a lot of elevation changes though, so I will be very interested to see data on Trackman next week.

Greenside is where I also noticed the improvements to "catch up" to the Pro V1 status in my books.  Both of these balls are so predictable off a little pitch wedge shot. I got that "hop 'n stop" consistently with both so I have no complaints on greenside wedge game.  The only wedge shot I noticed spin hut me was a very full 56* into one of the greens with the X.  I pinched it and it went VERY high on me and ended up backing up a few feet to miss well short of my normal carry/total with that club.  I was actually glad to see it didn't spin way off the front of the green, so I think it was more the height that hurt the distance in that case. 

Putting I honestly never got on a hot streak to fall in love with either, but that's all on me.  Mid summer rounds I think I might have more "feel" to say I prefer one or the other putting, but after 1 round I see them at total equals with the flat stick. 

Durability was actually impressive for a premium golf ball construction.  I yanked one drive into the rocks and got a lovely bounce into the fairway.  After looking at the ball the "scuff" wasn't nearly what I was expecting to see.  Kudos to Callaway for not making a good ball that only lasts 3 swings!  See pics. 

IF YOU ONLY READ ONE THING:  I'm not a physicist or a psychic mind-reader, but if you have a driver clubhead speed of 105+ I think you'll love the Chrome Tour like I did.  If you're below 105 I think the Chrome Tour X will likely give you the best results.  And lastly, for the first time in my opinion, Callaway has a ball that truly goes toe-to-toe with the Pro V1 series. 

RATINGS AFTER 1 ROUND: 

Chrome Tour:  10/10   It checked every box I'm looking for in a ball.  So much so that I'm very confident I'll be buying these this summer. 

Chrome Tour X:  8.5/10   It's a solid ball, but this is where fitting matters!  It's just not right for my swing.  I'm looking forward to catching up on the conversation here and hearing what guys with sub 100 mph swing speeds have to say about this one. 

Next up is a long session on the Trackman to get some good numbers for data comparison. 

PICS & VIDEO:  

IMG_8494[1].JPG

IMG_8496[1].JPG

IMG_8497[1].JPG

Looks like a pretty epic course to test at!

Nice write up. I expect to have the same view of preferring the Tour after this Sunday's round, as I have a driver CHS >105mph (summer around 110-112).

2024 WITB:

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

14 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

Looks like a pretty epic course to test at!

Nice write up. I expect to have the same view of preferring the Tour after this Sunday's round, as I have a driver CHS >105mph (summer around 110-112).

It was a boys trip planned well before the white box testing was a twinkle in my eye!  I got lucky with timing and thoroughly enjoyed it.   I can't say enough about how impressed I was with the Tour ball as compared to prior generations of Callaway balls...they've made REAL progress with this one IMO. 

Jeff D.

WITB:

4 hours ago, Rob Person said:

So far, 2.5 with the tour x, and 2 with the tour and both are still very playable.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

51 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

Temps have warmed up a little and the snow is melting. This weekend should hit high 50s and maybe 60f, so I have a tee time booked for Sunday morning. Fingers crossed the forecast is right.  That will be my first time gaming these Callaways. I'll take three of each and plan to switch at the turn.

Thought I'd share this pic with a number of comparison balls cut up alongside the sacrificial single Chrome Tour and Tour X. The ProV1 and X are unknown vintage as they're course finds from last year, but both were in decent conditions. ProV's aside, the rest were bought last year or picked up recently. I will add in a '24 TP5X, but that will have to wait til the freebies from Taylormade turn up. I do have some, but they're MyTM personalized balls that I'm not willing to cut up.lol

Always interesting to see how the different manufacturers vary thickness of each layer.

image.png.d83decb4f93af2dcdf6f059a5a804aa0.png

Edit: What I did notice is the Chrome Tour and X sections/ layers seem pretty well centered, but so are the others I cut up. I saw a social media post with a 2024 TP5 or TP5X that was badly made- off center core/ mantle and defects in the thin mantle layers. I don't see that on these.

Always enjoyed cutting them and I have the exact pvc cutter myself. Those are fairly old ProV1s??? I cut a couple last week from last year and they looked much different??? Glad to hear you have found no bad ones as I haven't either in the premium ball line.  Thanks for sharing this!! Love the mad scientist data

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

6 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I have played 36 with the same ball the only real wear I see is my sharpi marks

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

Did some chipping, pitching and sand practice.  The balls felt a little hard. I was getting very little grab from the balls.

Found that the Chrome Tour stopped better with mid to high iron shots.  

I will say both balls are long and feel good coming off the tee shots.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

@Jeff in the Mitten. I'm surprised that the X wasn't closer to the prov1x. I was under the impression the CTX was for a higher swing speed and the CT was for lower.  Good to read that it works for you!

And what a beautiful course!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

3 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

@Jeff in the Mitten. I'm surprised that the X wasn't closer to the prov1x. I was under the impression the CTX was for a higher swing speed and the CT was for lower.  Good to read that it works for you!

@Rob Person I do think my results jive with Callaway’s marketing of the ball, in particular how it relates to spin. That’s always been the main contributor to my tee results when comparing one ball to the next. 
The Tour was lightning off the face and just got to a height that f about 110’ and stayed there if that makes sense. Never “ballooned” on me. So that also improved the decent angle adding roll to maximizing my carry. 

Callaway’s comparison chart for reference:

IMG_8506.png

Jeff D.

WITB:

6 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Someone else in here shared this in the past. The Tour being lower long game spin should be better for higher swing speeds.

170B1E3E-754A-49AE-8979-EA890B849F55_1_105_c.jpeg.7aaa298532e4d061319ef0c6f0221a59.jpeg

2024 WITB:

I made it out the putting green with the limited time I had today!  I was mainly going on feel of the ball of the face.  I did notice a difference between the balls.  The Chrome Tour felt softer coming off my putter face.  

I did mention that the alignment lines mess with my head.  So of course I had to gave it a try since I am testing here.  I actually was able to use these triple line alignment without looking down second guessing my line I want to putt.

Today I used 4 different putters, putting 3 Tour and 3 TourX.  These are the putters I used in different weather conditions and green speeds. I had most putts cluster together.  One thing I noticed was that all the balls came off the putter face and were rolling.  I didn't notice much slide before the rolling.  

I can say that I could change ball on the green every time, Callaway would be high consideration because I am able to stay focus and not second guess my line of putting.  I am even thinking possibly for tournaments, so I will have them for putting!  I am looking to when I can get out on couple holes at the club I can test the short irons, long irons, and the tee shot (where it is reachable going over trees).   So if scored them out of 10 for just putting, I would give a solid 9.  

IMG_1182.jpeg

IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_1175.jpeg

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ...Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 10.5*

Mizuno Irons: JPX 923 Tour

Irons: Proto Rose

Ladies Golf Balls - Titleist Golf Logo Clipart (#110861) - PinClipartWedges: SM7 52.08; SM6 60.04

Cleveland Golf Png & Free Cleveland Golf.png Transparent Images ...Wedges: Zip core: 54, and 58 

Callaway Golf Wedge: Jaws 50

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ... Putter: Platinum S

Odyssey putter: Jail Bird

Had a friend of mine come test the balls in the sim with me and he made a significant jump in distance from the left dash to the Chrome Tours. I’ll post some data and video later. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

On 2/16/2024 at 9:44 PM, climberboy2000 said:

Took the balls to the indoor putting green (still too cold up here) yesterday.

The Tour and TourX didn't have any noticeable differences between the two balls.  Both felt softer than the ProV1x, but very similar to the Sugar Pure.  Loved the sound and the feel off the putter face.  I really like the lines, because now I don't have to draw a big line (that eventually rubs off in about 9 holes).  I've always used a line on my ball and I get down and line my putt up with it.  So this is a bonus.  Overall GREAT balls for putting!

TourBallPutterLine.jpg.5ae58945f8230a7922fdeb49f5315d81.jpg

IMG_0142.MOV 25.86 MB · 2 downloads  If this video doesn't work I'll have to figure out how to properly upload videos 🙂 

Took a long "lunch" today and hit some balls in the SIM (we still have snow on the ground).  Had some interesting results today.  Someone asked if I threw out the outliers in my data.  So I'm not a robot and hit every shot perfect 🙂   But if I hit one fat or shank it then I take a "mulligan" so that the shot doesn't show up in the results.  

Today using my 8 iron, the results for the five balls I used were pretty similar.  Didn't really notice much of a difference.  But when it came time to hitting my driver, I could not hit the Callaway Tour for the life of me!  I hit my first set of 3 balls each with the driver and the Tour was significantly shorter.  Rested for a little bit and came back to start the second round.  The Tour was my first ball.  They kept coming up short....like 20 yards+ short of the others.  I must have hit 10+ shots with the Tour and even shots that felt good were not flying.  Then I switched to the TourX and immediately increased 20+ yards.  I went through the other balls and they all were good.  So then I decided to give the Tour a few more hits...and the same thing.  Immediately lost yardage.  My swing speed today varied between 93-100, and even when both my swing speed and smash factor were identical to the other balls, the Tour did not fly as far.  

I noticed my launch is significantly higher today than the other day, but that might be because I adjusted my TSi3 driver a week ago.  Or it could be the SIM??  Guess I'll watch it the next few times I go as I play on different SIMs to see if it's consistent.

Balls are holding up well as far as wear and tear (for indoors).  My buddies and I have played multiple rounds on the SIM with them and they still look almost brand new.  Hoping to head to Salt Lake next week if the weather warms up to get a round in outside.

image.png.51ac64e8a3da9f279ef97a03745538df.png

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

VERY excited to say. There WILL BE outdoor testing in WI! Tee time for 1030 a tomorrow for me! Super excited to test the ball vs my sirxon z star xv. Currently at virtual leave. Liking the spin and response on the irons so far. No so much on the driver / fairway woods. 

IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_4313.jpeg

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w - Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

Review - Part 2: Putting

I decided to put these up against my current gamer, the Titleist AVX, and some other random balls I had lying around. I based the test on things that I find important in a ball when on the green: Alignment, sound, and feel off the putter's face. 

Balls In Play:
Bridgestone e6 with a (surlyn cover), Callaway Chrome Soft X LS (urethane), Titleist ProV1x (urethane), Titleist AVX (Yellow urethane), a Srixon Soft Feel (ionomer cover),  and of course, our test subjects the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X (both urethane).

IMG_1169.jpg.9de87715c44f8ec993e11ce52e29485b.jpg

The Tools:

I wanted to see how the sound and feel of these balls would differ using different face materials and milling. So I used 3 very different putters (and a special surprise at the end of the post). 

Putter #1 -  The Queen Bee #6 with honeycomb milling. 

IMG_1171.jpg.16349d8486ec03725581d7219a883b7d.jpgIMG_1172.jpg.6fac6b8f84e166c5a2c2bd0e9af06921.jpg

Putter #2 - Ping PAL 2 with no milling solid face.

IMG_1186.jpeg.8060c22c04842be6d07ca092eed619a4.jpegIMG_1185.jpeg.408a0c13cb6775dece313388fba5ba03.jpeg

Putter #3 - Scotty Cameron PHANTOM X 12 with fly-cut precision milling. 

IMG_1189.jpeg.5be80c6f982855c2afa50ddc40f331cd.jpegIMG_1190.jpeg.4b996d7b9bf199d83be07f3a88b1a177.jpeg

Alignment:
I used the QB6 to show the alignment marks for each of these balls. 

I think we can all agree that the triple track is the best putter alignment aid in the industry. Nuff said about that, just look at the pictures.

IMG_1181.jpeg.593f6b6ab476d0cd65b52209e0552a55.jpegIMG_1178.jpg.d66104ec004b55f87ee4f4833b8d483d.jpgIMG_1174.jpg.9634ee1b9e88896f94f7a459f2d14a1f.jpgIMG_1173.jpg.bb228b1e4584d572ca323be17a36566d.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg.33b7c6f8eaa826b49e1bd455fcb84c67.jpgIMG_1176.jpg.9dad929555a149fcb9a86c0f0e7edee6.jpgIMG_1177.jpg.f87832e1cb1cadc82707bd6f56994d13.jpg

Alignment Score: Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X - 10/10 

The Sound and Feel of it all: (Volume UP)

Bettinardi Queen B #6:

Ping Pal 3: 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X: 

And the Putter went... PING - Thanks for making it to the end of this post. Here is a fun one! Hit these with the pride of my collection, the  Ping 1-A 

"Sound and feel" is a personal preference. I for one like a firmer feel and I don't mind a "click" off the putter face. It gives me the confidence to know how hard I'm hitting a putt. When they are too soft I can't control the distance. Because of that when it comes to putting I am leaning toward the Chrome Tour X as it feels a tiny bit firmer with my current putter, the Queen B 6. 

Sound and Feel Score:
Chrome Tour - 9/10
Chrome Tour X - 10/10

IMG_1192.jpeg

IMG_1193.jpeg

Up next: Part 3: Chipping/Short Game 

Edited by Digiburdie

Twitter: @bobbyburdette

Instagram: bobbyburdette

Hi all I’m Juan aka thegolferdude I’ve got a cool update today. Not sure if anyone has cut these balls open yet. I’ve uploaded pictures of the inside of the tour and tour x ball. Both look to be a 4 piece ball. The tour has a blue core and the tour x has an orange core. Thanks for checking out this testing update.

IMG_4105.jpeg

IMG_4106.jpeg

IMG_4107.jpeg

IMG_4108.jpeg

IMG_4109.jpeg

IMG_4110.jpeg

IMG_4111.jpeg

IMG_4112.jpeg

IMG_4113.jpeg

Golf one of the greatest games been playing for most of my life.

9 hours ago, JRDuck40 said:

VERY excited to say. There WILL BE outdoor testing in WI! Tee time for 1030 a tomorrow for me! Super excited to test the ball vs my sirxon z star xv. Currently at virtual leave. Liking the spin and response on the irons so far. No so much on the driver / fairway woods. 

IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_4313.jpeg

Maybe I can tell my boss I have a family emergency……. Then I’ll come join you! Grant park at sunrise is truly amazing! And I mean almost 60 and mostly sunny! Come one now it’s February! I’ll have to meet you out on the chipping area and shoot the breeze! One of these days! 

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

23 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

Friday was a member/guest 9-hole, better ball event. (strange) I played the Chrome Tour. 

Driver/ tee box- From the opening tee shot this ball felt very stable with a slightly lower trajectory. I really felt in control of this ball. I hit a couple of stinger 2 irons that were nothing short of spectacular. Distance off the driver was normal to slightly above average with the workability being exceptional. I don't know if it was the ball or me at this point, but everything off the tee was exactly what I was trying to do. 

Approach shots- These greens are rock hard and normally requires a high trajectory to hold them. The Chrome Tour feels "soft" but, extremely solid off the irons. I noticed I was 2-5yds over my target on nearly every approach. I had one PW from 117 that flew 127 to the back collar. So, I would say they are longer off a well struck iron. Once again, extremely easy to lower the flight.  The Chrome Tour has just enough spin to hop and stop. Nothing spun back on any approach shots.

Chip shots- I only missed 2 greens so not many chips to report. 

Putting- This is my concern with this ball. The triple track seems too "busy" for my liking. The single line seems easier to line up. The Tour seems really soft off the putter and I left the first 3 putts short. After dialing this in, I did make 2 birdies. If this were your gamer ball, you would get used to it. If you switched back and forth with the Tour X, I would expect you to have a little trouble adjusting to the differences. 

Durability- One small blemish, I'd give it an A+.

Saturday- D.A.R.E. scramble at Vista Plantation (par 62) executive course.  16 of the 18 holes are water holes.  Played the Tour X for the first 2 holes, I went back to the Tour from Friday due to the X ripping off the front of the greens. These greens are very soft. Once again, the Tour performed pretty damn well in all facets of my game. Very solid. 

I am out of time, Sunday round to follow.    To be continued!

Sunday was a horrible weather day (for Florida) with temps in the low 60s, rain and 20 mph wind that seemed to be in our face on every shot. But I stuck with the plan to play the X all day. That didn't last long. Opening tee shot the X ballooned nearly straight up into the wind leaving me 30 yds short of my playing partners. I hit a decent 2nd shot and escaped with a par. Off to number 2 a longish par 5. My thought here was swing easy, and it shouldn't get out of control. Well, I was here to test balls, not to preserve a score! I "tried" to play a low draw to get a little more run out. I ended up with a low snap hook resting just under a saw palmetto frond. I was able to get a solid punch out and left myself 172 to the green. I pulled 4 iron and choked down a half inch to adjust for the wind. I struck it as pure as I could. The X ballooned into the wind again and plugged into the front bunker. This was perhaps the highest I have ever hit a 4 iron.  Thanks to a 40' putt, I walked away with a smooth par. This is where things went really wrong. skip to #4. Par 5 left to right wind and at our backs.  I aimed down the left side of the hole to play a cut and "Tee it high and let it fly"! Well once the ball got up into the wind it was like it pulled full flaps! My normal butter cut turned into OJ Simpson. The ball sliced 70+ yards. I reteed to play the same shot and did it again. For giggles I hit a third with the Tour, noticeably lower flight, 20 yd cut and right in the center of the fairway. I managed to find the 2nd ball, took my penalty drop. 240 out with no trouble in the front I pull 3 wood and proceed to slice it OB again. I just couldn't seem to control the X. Granted I switch back and forth between my gamer Maxfli Tour and X given the wind conditions, so I kind of set myself up for failure with this wind. Carded a smooth 11 on my way to a solid 92!! I stopped any thought of further testing at that point due to the "I don't care " attitude.  The X driver spin rate seems to be very high for me. I play the Cobra Aerojet 9.0 LS adjusted to the -1 draw setting. My normal spin rates are 1700-2000 range.  I will go to my local golf shop and hit a few shots with the X to determine the spin rate. But it seems very high to me. I don't feel as though the Tour X is the right ball for me. Once again, the ball feels very solid, but I feel it needs more iron swing speed than I can produce to make it shine. I wouldn't think off the driver it would make that much difference, but clearly it isn't the ball for me in the wind! 

I will be taking a few days off from further testing as I pulled a slick move and substantially burnt my left hand while working yesterday. 

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

1 hour ago, Mike10487 said:

Sunday was a horrible weather day (for Florida) with temps in the low 60s, rain and 20 mph wind that seemed to be in our face on every shot. But I stuck with the plan to play the X all day. That didn't last long. Opening tee shot the X ballooned nearly straight up into the wind leaving me 30 yds short of my playing partners. I hit a decent 2nd shot and escaped with a par. Off to number 2 a longish par 5. My thought here was swing easy, and it shouldn't get out of control. Well, I was here to test balls, not to preserve a score! I "tried" to play a low draw to get a little more run out. I ended up with a low snap hook resting just under a saw palmetto frond. I was able to get a solid punch out and left myself 172 to the green. I pulled 4 iron and choked down a half inch to adjust for the wind. I struck it as pure as I could. The X ballooned into the wind again and plugged into the front bunker. This was perhaps the highest I have ever hit a 4 iron.  Thanks to a 40' putt, I walked away with a smooth par. This is where things went really wrong. skip to #4. Par 5 left to right wind and at our backs.  I aimed down the left side of the hole to play a cut and "Tee it high and let it fly"! Well once the ball got up into the wind it was like it pulled full flaps! My normal butter cut turned into OJ Simpson. The ball sliced 70+ yards. I reteed to play the same shot and did it again. For giggles I hit a third with the Tour, noticeably lower flight, 20 yd cut and right in the center of the fairway. I managed to find the 2nd ball, took my penalty drop. 240 out with no trouble in the front I pull 3 wood and proceed to slice it OB again. I just couldn't seem to control the X. Granted I switch back and forth between my gamer Maxfli Tour and X given the wind conditions, so I kind of set myself up for failure with this wind. Carded a smooth 11 on my way to a solid 92!! I stopped any thought of further testing at that point due to the "I don't care " attitude.  The X driver spin rate seems to be very high for me. I play the Cobra Aerojet 9.0 LS adjusted to the -1 draw setting. My normal spin rates are 1700-2000 range.  I will go to my local golf shop and hit a few shots with the X to determine the spin rate. But it seems very high to me. I don't feel as though the Tour X is the right ball for me. Once again, the ball feels very solid, but I feel it needs more iron swing speed than I can produce to make it shine. I wouldn't think off the driver it would make that much difference, but clearly it isn't the ball for me in the wind! 

I will be taking a few days off from further testing as I pulled a slick move and substantially burnt my left hand while working yesterday. 

I would take low 60's...woke up to this today!  Does Callaway make a flashing/glowing Tour ball so I can find it in all the white? 😞 

snow.jpg.3b1f3cab9e43e7975f7853a9684bdfd1.jpg

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

1 hour ago, Mike10487 said:

Hope you heal up and it's not too bad!!

Hello Ladies and Gents!

Weather in the Northeast looks to be improving a bit and I'm hoping to get outside on a real course and test the Callaway Chrome Tour X as I did the Chrome Tour.  Really loved the Chrome Tour and hoping the X for me is as good or maybe better for my game but time tells all!

I will be doing some chipping to add to my putting review I posted earlier this morning.  So far, I find the Callway Chrome balls to be really high quality and I could see myself potentially switching to one of them. 

Hope Everyone is enjoying the new balls and testing process as I am and more reviewing to come soon!  

PXG Gen1 Tour 0311 Irons 4-PW

Ping G425 LST 9 Degree Driver

Ping G410 LST 14.5 Degree 3 Wood

Exotics EX9 18 Degree Hybrid

Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Degrees

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter

Titleist ProV1x Ball #14 

Good morning MGS peeps,

It is a glorious day in the Atlanta metro area! I played a full 18 Sunday on the Old Course at White Oak Golf Club with the Tour X ball.  First victory was that I played the whole round with the same ball. Second, I shot 76 while only hitting 7 greens. A double and 5 bogies was offset with 3 birdies and only 27 putts.  Currently, I am not able to give much feedback on the ball for full shots, as I am not making anywhere near center of the face contact on anything outside of 110 yards. That being said from 110 yards in, I really like this ball.  It feels soft off the face and has plenty of spin without spinning too much. I feel that I can get up and down from just about anywhere. Such as short- sided flop shot out of the rough to 5 feet, or short sided downhill bunker shot from 50 feet to 3 feet, or a knock down lob wedge off a tight down hill lie from 70 yards to a front pin that took one hop and stopped 3 feet for birdie. Which I did make by the way. It rolls great too as I made putts from 3 feet to 30 feet  going up or downhill, and breaking in either direction.  Mind you, I do not use the triple track feature to line up my putts as trying to line it up that way screws with my head. 

As for the durability question, the ball in the picture lasted the whole round including hitting 2 trees, being in to bunkers and being struck on the thin side on multiple occasions. Hardly a scratch. Big points for durability! I am planning on having a pure bunker session later in the week with both balls.

IMG_3100.jpg.070b4e1df982f1c3990fb8a74907bb1a.jpgIMG_3098.jpg.ce09a5c8145b0a52f126e2c798cf7ff2.jpg

Edited by David Staller

David Staller

Great updates so far! 

Anyone get much time in the wind and see how they perform there? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The weather is getting better here in Cheyenne WY and I have a tee time for Friday down in Fort Collins CO so I will be able to get some course play with these balls. I am working on my formatting and hope to have it done sometime next week. As far as the ball, I am still liking the X more than the Chrome Tour. I haven't noticed any difference in putting other than these balls are more firm than the balls I play. If you have any questions for me, don't hesitate to reply to my posts. I am on daily and try to reply promptly. Thanks everyone and Happy Birdie Hunting!

IMG_4065.gif

Edited by Erin B
Add

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686