Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Choosing the right ball to play?

I'm not talking about getting fitted, although knowing what one type/style of ball fits your swing best, is very important. But the topic on "what ball are you playing 2024" got me wondering some things)

I'm trying to leverage in my mind which ball is the best to play, and how do you know its right? (TL:DR at bottom)

For me it started when I had a few sleeves of pinnacles and topflites that were left in the bag I inherited. As I lost them (alot!) I always ended up finding tons of new woods balls of all varieties.  Most times I'd leave with a minimum of a 6, other days a dozen to twenty balls. I knew NOTHING about golf balls other than how expensive they were! My buddy is a proV1 loyalist from his time playing in high school. I hit one and sent a 120 yard worm burner down the fairway. It sounded horrible when I hit it and felt like I just hit a rock. So I started playing the woods balls.  I got to the point that I'd play any ball I had available.  Then one day I hit a chrome soft triple track in yellow. I realized 2 things that day. 1. I could actually see the ball, and was able to recover it quicker wherever it landed. 2. This ball sounded, connected, and landed really well for me!

So I got a couple dozen yellow CS TT from a company called golfballnut that specializes in reselling retrieved balls from courses up and down the east coast.

I really enjoyed playing these balls. Had some great shots and amazing putts with these.  They built up my confidence. I ha e 2 buckets filled with different brands of ball's.

Now, since I have joined MGS, my entire world has been flipped over when it comes to balls. 

I've officially tested the 2023/24 titilest test ball. I've unofficially tested 2 other brands of balls. (Bridgestone and NineTee) 

TL:DR

Why are you playing the ball you are?

What drew you to it in the first place?

What made you change from your previous ball?

Do you play a different ball depending on the season or weather conditions?

What/Why would make you change again?

What ball will you never play, and why?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Why - Well Vice had a great deal on the Vice Pro Plus and it fit me based on the Ball test

The ball test was the big draw, price and fact it came with the paint splatter was cool 

Price was the biggest factor

Yes - Vice Drive for some awful conditions because its a guarantee to loose 3 balls a round due to conditions.

I would maybe make the switch to the Callaway Chrome Tour--- its been that good

I dunno, I would likely try something again for kicks if I needed to. Never say never!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'm not talking about getting fitted, although knowing what one type/style of ball fits your swing best, is very important. But the topic on "what ball are you playing 2024" got me wondering some things)

I'm trying to leverage in my mind which ball is the best to play, and how do you know its right? (TL:DR at bottom)

For me it started when I had a few sleeves of pinnacles and topflites that were left in the bag I inherited. As I lost them (alot!) I always ended up finding tons of new woods balls of all varieties.  Most times I'd leave with a minimum of a 6, other days a dozen to twenty balls. I knew NOTHING about golf balls other than how expensive they were! My buddy is a proV1 loyalist from his time playing in high school. I hit one and sent a 120 yard worm burner down the fairway. It sounded horrible when I hit it and felt like I just hit a rock. So I started playing the woods balls.  I got to the point that I'd play any ball I had available.  Then one day I hit a chrome soft triple track in yellow. I realized 2 things that day. 1. I could actually see the ball, and was able to recover it quicker wherever it landed. 2. This ball sounded, connected, and landed really well for me!

So I got a couple dozen yellow CS TT from a company called golfballnut that specializes in reselling retrieved balls from courses up and down the east coast.

I really enjoyed playing these balls. Had some great shots and amazing putts with these.  They built up my confidence. I ha e 2 buckets filled with different brands of ball's.

Now, since I have joined MGS, my entire world has been flipped over when it comes to balls. 

I've officially tested the 2023/24 titilest test ball. I've unofficially tested 2 other brands of balls. (Bridgestone and NineTee) 

@Rob Person

I just came across a ball site that offers mint used balls very cheap all the way to range level balls. 

Here is the website

https://www.golfballplanet.com/

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

I'm a lot like you in my past @Rob Person, where I played whatever balls my dad or I found along the way. I just never really took my game seriously enough to play a lot or do enough research about balls, clubs, strategy, etc.

It's really only been the last ~4 years when all that changed. TXG did so much for my education around clubs and technology and fitting, etc.

Then I found MGS, and things really cranked up another few notices on my golf education. The ball test in 2019 I ran across the year after it was done really opened my eyes to just how different balls were and how differently they played. That's when I really decided to try and find a ball to play and stick with. I tried a few cheaper balls (by cheaper, I mean ionomer type cover) but ultimately settled on the Maxfli Tour. I tried the X, but it was too firm and spinny for me.

Why are you playing the ball you are? What drew you to it in the first place? What made you change from your previous ball? The last 3 ball tests really showed me that the
Maxfli Tour was a great ball for my speed and need. TXG did a comparison test to the ProV's, and they were basically identical but for half the price (or better). Sold!
Do you play a different ball depending on the season or weather conditions? I haven't to this point. I may look at something like a Vice Tour or OnCore Elixr when the weather changes, but I generally don't play in bad weather.
What/Why would make you change again? Someone proving to me with data on MY game that another ball is significantly better.
What ball will you never play, and why? Callaway. They lost me with all their issues in the recent past. They're dead to me at this point. I also won't play balls like Titleist, Taylormade, or any other that's ridiculously overpriced.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

I will still play a variety of different balls if I’m having a rough day.  Have been losing too many balls recently during a round, so was looking for something that performed and still was affordable.  Found a lost ball site that had a deal on TaylorMade Tour Response after playing one I found.

But will still switch between different brands throughout the year.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

3 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Testing out the Maxfli Tour X

Price and the ball test

I am cheap and ProV1X are expensive. 

I tend to go thru the lost ball bin at my course and will try different brands out. I am really liking the TM lines. I don't know that I like them enough to spend the extra money on them but if there is a good sale I probably would. 

Hmmm.... there are quite a few that I haven't gotten along with. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Why are you playing the ball you are?

I switched balls last year from Srixon ZXV to PV1X, then to PV1. PV1 gives me excellent green side spin, controllable low spin off the tee, and a penetrating ball flight. It's the best ball I've ever played.

What drew you to it in the first place?

I'd received sleeves of them in the past and quickly lost them, but when I did keep them in play, they felt great and had my desired flight. As I've gotten better over the last few years, I've sampled many different balls and found that this ball gives me the most consistency across all facets of my game.

I didn't mind the performance of the ZXV, but I felt like I could probably have a ball that would better suit my game. The PV1 and the PV1X were some of the recommended balls in a ballnamics ball fitting, and so I picked up a dozen of each to donate to the right side of my home course's fairways. I found that the PV1 gave me a tighter dispersion and longer distance off the tee as well as exceptional green side spin. I'm really happy with how dependable and consistent the ball is, and given Titleist's dedication to consistency, I know that every ball I get is going to play exactly the same. I had a hard time shelling out $55 for a dozen until the first full round that I played the PV1. It honestly helps my game that much that I'm willing to throw an extra $17 / dozen over the ZXV. Plus, I don't lose as many any more so it's easier to hide from the wife.

Nope. It's been PV1 and I don't know that I'll look back. I adjust my yardages based on temperature, and the ball performs the same. Occasionally I will play random balls if I can't keep the driver in play.

What/Why would make you change again?

I'd have to find something that gives me the same controllable distance off the tee and the same high spin with my wedges and irons. I love the feel and performance when I strike the ball well (which is getting way more frequent!) and watching the ball hop once or twice and stop. I didn't have that kind of performance with any of the balls I played before, so I'm kinda really happy with what I have.

What ball will you never play, and why?

On the days that my driver is dogsh***, I will reach into my bag and play whatever "shag" balls I pick up off the course. I'll play anything except a Pinnacle - they feel rock hard and play spinny for me, so I just catch and release them back into their natural habitat.

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

Why are you playing the ball that you are?  I was a devoted Srixon QStar Tour (white, yellow and Divide) player leading up to 2023.  Based on MGS reviews, I decided to experiment DTC balls.  I looked at the full line OnCore balls (originally from Western NY), Snell MTB Prime when they came out (Dean Snell graduated from the same college and program that I did two years after me) and near the end of 2023 Maxfli Tour S (based on the MGS reviews and promotion).  Though all performed well, the Maxfli Tour S seemed to stand out for me.  I liked them so much, during Black Friday deals, I picked up about ten dozen for 2024.

What drew it to you in the first place?  As mentioned above, good MSG staff and forum member reviews and a great promotion they ran ($25/dozen).

What made you change from your previous ball?  Curiosity at first.  Could a different ball make a noticeable difference in my game and could a DTC ball be as good as the popular retail benchmarked balls out there?  For my slow swing speed, The Maxfli Tour S gave me 5 extra yards on my drives compared to the QStar Tour, OnCore Elixr or Vero X1 and Snell MTB Prime.   The Maxfli Tour S ball had a more durable cover than the first generation of Snell MTB Prime balls.  Since I don't hit the ball very far, I tend not to lose many.  So, longevity of the cover lets me keep ball in play longer.  I know there's several promotions now with the other balls, but at $35 a dozen (in two dozen increments) is an attractive price point.

Do you play a different ball depending on the season or weather conditions?  Here in Key West our two seasons are tourist and hot.   Our typical high temperatures range from the mid 60's in the "winter" to high 80's/low 90's in the dead of summer.  Being surrounded by water helps keep the temperature lower than other parts of Florida.  However, the high humidity and due point that can make it oppressive on the golf course.  The balls, they really don't notice too much!

What/Why would make you change again?  Not necessarily in this order:  dramatic price increase in the current Maxfli Tour S ball, the next generation Maxfli Tour S introduced (and the first generation is no longer available), a decent price point and equal Maxfli Tour S performance from the teased OnCore Vero XP.

What ball will you never play, and why?  Probably anything that is a two piece, surlyn covered and hard.  I might get some incremental driver yardage, but for me to score I need consistent play around and on the greens.  

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I think playing the same ball consistently is more important than the “right” ball. Once you find you good quality ball that gives you the performance you want, stick to it. It’s easy to get lost trying to find the right one. I personally don’t trust used balls but I get it why they are popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear and stat junkie!

I always played used balls I bought at a local store. Always tried to get the tour balls because I assumed they were the best. When starting back into golf last fall I bought a couple dozen used pro v’s off marketplace. I’ve used those up until recently.  For Christmas I received a dozen prov1x yellow from my wife. I also got a dozen Callaway super soft. I have also purchased a dozen Odin X1 balls due to the reviews here on myspy. 

So far, I’ve loved the pro v1x.  The 1 sleeve i used of the Odin I liked, seemed to be a little less distance off the tee but more spin on the greens. Was not as impressive to me as the prov1x, but it could have also been the way I was swinging that day.  Going to keep trying them out though. Not sure what I’ll do with the super soft?

I plan on trying out the maxfli tour or tour x when I figure out which one would be better for me .

Right now I’m playing the Pro V1x because I received them for Christmas and really like the way they have performed so far.

got them as a gift

performance, they have been long off the tee and great around the greens.

no

I am hoping that the maxfli, Odin, or something else will produce similar results for a much better price than the pro v’s .

Anything super soft. Don’t like the feel or performance for me off the tee. 

Jnr

Why are you playing the ball you are? I try to find a good deal but it has to be on a quality ball. I'm a single digit handicapper, but am a little wild off the tee and I hit the ball rather high typically. I hate spending money on balls and losing them when they are brand new. I haven't been brand loyal, but have stuck to the TP5 and TP5x for a while, just because I could usually find a deal to get them for $35-40 a dozen when buying them in bulk. 

What drew you to it in the first place? I wanted something I thought was comparable to the ProV. A few years ago, I felt that they were. Especially with iron shots and feel around the green. However, the last few years I've felt they haven't been nearly as long as the ProV, or some of the others I've occasionally tried. Joining this site and seeing the testing confirmed that suspicion. 

What made you change from your previous ball? I changed from the ProV to the TP5 strictly because they went on sale more often and I could get more for my money, while playing a ball that was similar, or so I thought. 

Do you play a different ball depending on the season or weather conditions? No, I typically try and use the same type of ball. I live in NC, so it's usually 60-80 degrees most of the times I play.

What/Why would make you change again? The testing results have already changed my mind on the TP5 with how much distance I am losing. Although now I'm intrigued with their new 2024 version that claims they have increased their distance. I've always loved the spin and feel I get around the greens and with iron shots with the TP5. I am now currently testing the Maxfli Tour X, Wilson Staff, and the Chrome Tour to see how they feel and compare. I've tried some of the Muzuno's and Bridgestones, but didn't love the flight off the tee or with irons for either of those brands. The distance with the Bridgestone's was nice though.

What ball will you never play, and why? Any ball that's designed to hit it higher and is considered spinny off the tee. I'm already a very high ball hitter, and I definitely don't need any more spin with the driver. 

Driver: Ping G425 9.0 Atla CB 55 X-Stiff

2 Hybrid: Ping G425 17.0 Ping Tour 85 X-Stiff

Ping Crossover 3 iron: Atla CB 70 X-Stiff

Irons: Ping G425 Green dot 4i-9i KBS Tour 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8: 46, 50, 52, 56

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Balls: Taylormade TP5, Titleist Pro-V, Maxfli-Tour X

Why are you playing the ball you are?

because I was fit for it as well as years of playing it and testing it against other balls 

I played numerous balls and it’s what I like the best

Performance

nope. Learned from ball experts that it’s not as important to switch 

a ball that has better quality and performance which I can’t see happening

anything that’s not TaylorMade or titleist 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've been playing the PROV1X and Taylormade Tour Response both benefit my game in different ways, but researching, price, quality, are main factors.

If I could have it my way, I would have the modern versions of the Titleist Balata 90compression and the Professional, both of these balls were off the chain. I would like to see Titleist come out with a liquid core ball(Balata) and then use todays technology to produce the consistent ball speeds and the Urethane cover.. I think it would be the next game changer!!!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

You'll know it when you find it.

Long story short, the humble golf ball is probably one of the easiest and most accessable ways of improving your game. You just need to try each one to see what works best. Generalised data works OK to some extent, but nobody can tell how a ball feels and reacts - that can only be decided by youself. And to some extent - your wallet. Don't ignore price point if it has an effect on compromise.

Edited by jaskanski

On 2/18/2024 at 9:39 PM, Rob Person said:

In recent history, I’ve played both Wilson DUO Softs and Callaway SuperSofts. They are both ubiquitous and cheap, and they are fine off the tee and on the green. They are not rocks. I’ll always have them, although I am making a change to include a urethane.

To me, it’s just down to price. Some days I lose zero balls, other days, I lose four. Playing something like a ChromeTour/Soft or ProV1—given my game I would never enjoy their benefits unless I stopped using my driver at the tee box. And where’s the fun in that?

I will never play Warbirds or cheap distance balls. They take the fun out of ball hitting and putting for me.

Edited by berkeleybob

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

15 minutes ago, berkeleybob said:

In recent history, I’ve played both Wilson DUO Softs and Callaway SuperSofts. They are both ubiquitous and cheap, and they are fine off the tee and the green. They are not rocks. I’ll always have them, although I am making a change to include a urethane.

To me, it’s just down to price. Some days I lose zero balls, other days, I lose four. Playing something like a ChromeTour/Soft or ProV1—given my game I would never enjoy their benefits unless I stopped using my driver at the tee box. And where’s the fun in that?

I will never play the Warbirds or cheap distance balls. They take the fun out of ball hitting and putting for me.

I agree on the warbirds, mostly, they hit decent off the tee, but almost no short game abilities, for me anyway. But they were a xmas gift,  and I shall do my darndest not to lose them!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Why are you playing the ball you are? Vice Pro was a little cheaper option and felt great when I first played it.

What drew you to it in the first place? The price point definitely helps being about 10 dollars cheaper a dozen.

What made you change from your previous ball? Wanted to be different from others all playing Pro V1.

Do you play a different ball depending on the season or weather conditions? No

What/Why would make you change again? Currently getting ready to try out the Z Star so guess I already am changing.

What ball will you never play, and why? Any of the lower end balls just due to my swing speeds and the performance hit I would take from playing something not ment for higher swing speeds.

Donald Hura

Why are you playing the ball you are? I play the Maxfli Tour S. 

What drew you to it in the first place? The testing from this site and TXG confirming it was a great value and performer.

What made you change from your previous ball? The value prop. I played Bridgestone BXS based on ballnamic feedback, but the performance on the Tour S is better for me.

Do you play a different ball depending on the season or weather conditions? No

What/Why would make you change again? It would take a significant performance/value improvement to make me switch.

What ball will you never play, and why? Srixon Soft Feel. I always see these in the woods, so they must be bad, right? LOL

image.png.702001ca19ba55f2a1ca32610c99752e.pngUSMC Veteran and Weekend Golfer

image.png.a88615aa1dc2ff3464a9f6eba8f8c357.pngCallaway Paradym 10.5 degree Driver; Tensei 1K Blue 50g S

Screenshot2024-04-26094356.png.e6729b84fbca4db480e886001e078fb6.pngCobra LTDX 3 and 5 woods

image.png.bcf13f4bf775adb3a56fd3df40d0ea0e.png Titleist T300; C Taper Lite 105R

image.png.f87968f7ac02b80c1d756215bf1d4f5c.png Cleveland Zipcore 54 and 58

image.png.3538cead307819c04e33f42f9a56c878.png Scotty Newport Special Select 2 33 inch

image.png

I must have 20 dozen in the rack.  I win, buy, exchange & have tried almost everything.  My "go to" is the Callaway Supersoft.  I know MGS hates it but it just seems to work for me & my buddy. I am testing the Supersoft Magna on another buddy's recommendation & the TM Distance plus.  Looking for straight distance & they seem to work.  As a high ball hitter I can get away with these type of balls.

I have to shout out to the Maxfli S as that is my 3 piece ball with Urethane cover.  When I wasn't retired & could afford it I was partial to the AVX.

I can't get along with any of the "good" TM balls, didn't like the Wilson Triad, or the Maxfli X.  

Oh, just looked & have 4 dozen Vice Pro Soft in green so I guess I like them also!! 

Why are you playing the ball you are? I've always loved the ProV1's feel and performance, but I started going in search of more distance, more height, and more spin, so I switched to the ProV1x.

What drew you to it in the first place? Titleist, enough said.

What made you change from your previous ball? I've played lots of the tour balls, previously playing TP5/x, Vice Pro Plus, and Maxfli Tour. I stopped playing TP5's when the 2023 MyGolfSpy ball testing came out and TP5/x performed abysmally. That's when I made the switch to ProV1/ProV1x. 

Do you play a different ball depending on the season or weather conditions? Unless it's pouring rain out, no, I mainly play the same ball. I try not to overcomplicate things.

What/Why would make you change again? I'm one of the people forum testing the 2023 Maxfli Tour X with Max Align and I'm amazed at how close in performance it is to the ProV1x. Because of the price difference, I might be switching to Maxfli Tour X the next time I purchase balls. They're that good.

What ball will you never play, and why? Not really sure there's a tour ball I wouldn't play if it performed well. But I've never been a fan of Callaway balls just because I don't like the Callaway logo. Pretty superficial, I know.

Edited by brogies

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

With so many great golf balls out there I think it is in some cases hard to go wrong. Price is a huge factor for many and that likely plays a greater role than the performance for many. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

With so many great golf balls out there I think it is in some cases hard to go wrong. Price is a huge factor for many and that likely plays a greater role than the performance for many. 

Price is the reason I play the Maxfli Tour S. I was never a person who played one ball consistently but I really liked the AVX. Almost $60 a dozen is ridiculous and multiple reviews claimed it was similar. The ball test saying it was a top ball for low spin with high swing speed was good to see. I’ll always tinker but for the price I don’t see myself switching

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Like so many other aspects of this game, confidence in the ball one plays may be as big of a motivator in which ball to choose as anything else. Feel or the perception of how a ball feels when struck is another factor. Any ball that feels like a rock the day I happen to play that brand immediately scars that ball for life.

WITB - Callaway Epic Flash woods, 2019 Apex irons, Mizuno T-Zoid wedges, Ping Anser putter

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Absolutely. I'm going to say 85% or more of public golfers (not pro's) are willing to sacrifice a small bit of distance and spin to have it be affordable.  Of those 85%, 90% probably don't understand half of the science and numbers to the balls they purchase.  I say this with confidence because I am/was one of those persons. I am still learning about all the characteristics of the balls I buy. It's the only way to know what works best for me. Understanding things recently related to my swing speed, face impact, AoA, etc has made me realize how a ball can perform (or not!)

I realized alot of people replied NO to the " do you change balls due to seasons" question.

The reason I put this in there, is that quite a few of the regulars at the course (seniors) use a different ball when it's colder (below 55⁰) and change again in the warmer/hotter months. I found it curious, and thought I would bring it to the masses to see if anyone else does.

I've found no real science to back it up though 

Absolutely. I'm going to say 85% or more of public golfers (not pro's) are willing to sacrifice a small bit of distance and spin to have it be affordable.  Of those 85%, 90% probably don't understand half of the science and numbers to the balls they purchase.  I say this with confidence because I am/was one of those persons. I am still learning about all the characteristics of the balls I buy. It's the only way to know what works best for me. Understanding things recently related to my swing speed, face impact, AoA, etc has made me realize how a ball can perform (or not!)

I realized alot of people replied NO to the " do you change balls due to seasons" question.

The reason I put this in there, is that quite a few of the regulars at the course (seniors) use a different ball when it's colder (below 55⁰) and change again in the warmer/hotter months. I found it curious, and thought I would bring it to the masses to see if anyone else does.

I've found no real science to back it up though 

A firmer ball (ProV1 , TP5 and such) are harder to compress in colder weather, particularly under the 45* range . Additionally, with that said it also allows a greater margin  of error on mishits, ball flight and more . Again, as you said yourself , we aren’t pros! 
Look at it like blades versus cavity backed irons . Mishits  have better results usually with  cavity backs over the blades .  
 Playing a different ball in colder weather works for me , but also take in mind that the softer balls generally spin somewhat less around the greens too. I personally think it’s a great idea. Listed below is what I do personally. Hope this helps !

Typical weather 50* +  Bridgestone BXS

Weather below 45*
Bridgestone BRX

I should add that I get a huge discount on Bridgestone is why I play them . So for my money I’m getting the best bang for the buck 

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I went through a variety of balls over the last year, while I love Pro V1s, hard for me to justify the price.  Currently playing TM Tour Response and it is doing well for me.  Found a good deal on used ones recently.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Ok…I play PV1’s in the summertime but play Topflite Hammer Controls in the winter. Play a lot of golf in 46 to 55 degree weather. It’s a softer ball so I don’t lose as much distance.   I have a few guys in my group that only play the Hammer Control it is a good ball. 

What I find with the less expensive balls they do not hold up very well…18 to 27 holes max.  A ProV 1  can last me 36 to 54 holes and still be in good shape.  I played 129 holes with one last summer…it got to be a thing with me…all those rounds were in the 70’s too. 

Stoney

Why are you playing the ball you are? 
Vice Pro Drip = Looks 🔥 

Maxfli Tour S = performance/price

Vice Pro Drip = Looks

Maxfli Tour S = Price & MGS ball test results 

MGS ball test results and price per performance (a.k.a. Value). 

No, I try to stick with the same balls all season. I had thought about trying to switch as the weather warms, but the Maxfli Tour S continued to outperform other firmer balls in the simulator, so I think I’m going to stick with it. I do only play the Vice Pro in the summertime because it’s considerably shorter than the Tour S in the wintertime.

Another ball at a better value. I did buy some Snell balls on the cheap to see how they performed for me and they didn’t perform well. So I probably won’t get them again unless the next MGS ball test shows me otherwise.

LA golf… price

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

How much does price come into play for most of you? Will you stock up on golf balls now during all these sales or?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW