MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Our Sponsors

I should have worn long underwear 😱.  I played Madison Meadows this morning, hoping to get the round in before the weather moved in.  It was 36F when I left the house, 30F on VC Pass, and a balmy 39F in Ennis when I arrived.  Umm, that's still air temp.  Factor in the 6-8 mph wind and it's in the high 20's.  I had called Jason before heading out about play and he said "we're empty, come on over".  He swears the wind wasn't blowing at that time 🤨.  As consolation he offered me a free power cart - complete with side and back curtains 👍.  There wasn't a soul on the course... imagine that.  

I didn't feel like I was playing that great but my scores were good.  On many shots, I found myself holding my head in a position trying to keep my hat on. One thing I tried today is lowering my tee height a bit, on shots into the wind, in attempt to lower my ball height.  It seemed to work pretty well.  I had trouble judging the wind.  On the par 3 #8/#17, it was quartering into me from right to left.  I dropped from a normal 7i to a 5i and aimed at the tree on the right side of the green - which is quite a bit to the right.  It was a hoot watching the wind carry the balls back towards the flag.  On hole #4, I hit a drive of 304 yards!  On hole #5 (opposite direction), I crushed a low trajectory drive that only went 237 yards. Playing in these conditions gives me even more respect for what the pros are able to do.

Basically I froze my butt off.  Were it not for the cart, there's no way I make it thru 9 let alone 18.  The wind was pure hell as it just kept cranking up as I went along. I gave myself both short-ish putts on 18 as it started snowing lightly and, while I was conducting Official Testing (Maxfli Balls), had simply met my limitations.  I played a 2-ball game; one Maxfli Tour and a Tour X.  I'll reveal the winner in my upcoming review thread. (River, our yellow lab assisting with photo 🙂).

627011819_madisonmeadows.jpg.5ba0266debb3bf192a8a9603efbfdf2c.jpg

• Like 7

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I should have worn long underwear .  I played Madison Meadows this morning, hoping to get the round in before the weather moved in.  It was 36F when I left the house, 30F on VC Pass, and a balmy 39F in Ennis when I arrived.  Umm, that's still air temp.  Factor in the 6-8 mph wind and it's in the high 20's.  I had called Jason before heading out about play and he said "we're empty, come on over".  He swears the wind wasn't blowing at that time 🤨.  As consolation he offered me a free power cart - complete with side and back curtains .  There wasn't a soul on the course... imagine that.  
I didn't feel like I was playing that great but my scores were good.  On many shots, I found myself holding my head in a position trying to keep my hat on. One thing I tried today is lowering my tee height a bit, on shots into the wind, in attempt to lower my ball height.  It seemed to work pretty well.  I had trouble judging the wind.  On the par 3 #8/#17, it was quartering into me from right to left.  I dropped from a normal 7i to a 5i and aimed at the tree on the right side of the green - which is quite a bit to the right.  It was a hoot watching the wind carry the balls back towards the flag.  On hole #4, I hit a drive of 304 yards!  On hole #5 (opposite direction), I crushed a low trajectory drive that only went 237 yards. Playing in these conditions gives me even more respect for what the pros are able to do.
Basically I froze my butt off.  Were it not for the cart, there's no way I make it thru 9 let alone 18.  The wind was pure hell as it just kept cranking up as I went along. I gave myself both short-ish putts on 18 as it started snowing lightly and, while I was conducting Official Testing (Maxfli Balls), had simply met my limitations.  I played a 2-ball game; one Maxfli Tour and a Tour X.  I'll reveal the winner in my upcoming review thread. (River, our yellow lab assisting with photo ).
627011819_madisonmeadows.jpg.5ba0266debb3bf192a8a9603efbfdf2c.jpg

River is doing a great job

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

River is doing a great jobemoji16.png

He loves laying on my legs on the ottoman and was pretty much out like a lightbulb. I didn't want to disrupt his REM and just improvised.

• Like 2

Ended up shooting 86 at Los Robles Greens in Thousand Oaks. I tried a number of different swing changes on the front to no avail. Went back to my Mike Bender swing and proceeded to hit fairways and greens. Round was 5 1/2 hours. Ridiculous. The guys I played with did say it was unusually slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

15 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Ended up shooting 86 at Los Robles Greens in Thousand Oaks. I tried a number of different swing changes on the front to no avail. Went back to my Mike Bender swing and proceeded to hit fairways and greens. Round was 5 1/2 hours. Ridiculous. The guys I played with did say it was unusually slow.

We should be awesome together tomorrow. I shot a smooth 79 today. 

• Like 5

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 1/2 hours isn’t slow it’s horrendous. I don’t know how anyone can maintain their interest when it’s that slow.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

5 1/2 hours isn’t slow it’s horrendous. I don’t know how anyone can maintain their interest when it’s that slow.

I was going to quit after nine, but I had nowhere else to go, and a rain check out here in California wouldn’t do me any good. It was miserable. Nice course, greens were great, but they hadn’t mowed any of the “black” tees so it was like hitting out of the rough on every tee box.

• Like 1

Rained most of the night last night, and my wife and I were going to cancel our 9:46 tee time.  At about 8:30am the rain stopped and the wind was calm, so we decided to play.  Temp was 43º.  We pulled into the parking lot; not many cars.  Got our cart and the pro shop said we should go right now, as a little tournament was going out behind us.  As we headed to the 1st tee without warming up, the wind that was calm decided to start blowing... a little at first but when we got to the 1st green it was blowing pretty good.  My hands were cold.  

Most of the greens had standing water on the low spots.  I parred #1 and had a tap-in birdie on #2, but by #3 the wind was probably blowing about 25-30mph.  I had a birdie putt but 3-putted because of the wind.  The par 3 #4 hole is straight into the wind.  Same pins as yesterday when I hit a 7i into the wind to pin high, but today I hit 6i and was 30 feet short... barely cleared the front bunker.  The par 5 #5 hole straight into the wind required driver, 3w, 2H, PW to get on the green... managed a bogey.  THEN it started to rain again!!  We played #6, a par 5 downwind and I was just in front of the green in two shots; chipped on and 4-putted!!!!!!  🙄  I don't remember ever 4-putting on my course in 4 years.  I then reminded myself that I don't have to play in the rain.  I don't mind the wind, but when it comes with rain... I'm done.  I do feel sorry for the tournament; probably the worst day for golf since the snow melted in March.  Tomorrow is supposed to be only marginally better.  oh well!

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8/14 FiR

9./18 GiR

34 Putts

Played from the middle tees today so I wouldn't make things weird for the rest of the group which is just short of 6300y. 3 double bogeys killed what was a pretty decent round. Hit a great driver off #1 and a bunch of blocks to the right after that. FiR numbers kinda don't tell the story of driver this round because there were a lot of 5i and 3w mixed in. Still playing 13 clubs until I find a suitable club between 5w and 5i but the shorter tees today didn't cause me any issue.

• Like 7

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

As we headed to the 1st tee without warming up, the wind that was calm decided to start blowing

Odd.  I've been through the Tri-Cities area numerous times and it's usually dead calm 🤣.  Gives you added appreciation for how the pros are still able to perform in this stuff dosen't it?  Watching them on TV hem and haw, look to the trees, throw grass clippings, etc. often has me muttering "oh, just hit the damn ball will ya" - one's got to play in the stuff to truly appreciate how challenging it is.  A few of my 4i shots yesterday felt like I was hitting stone.  In fact I thought I had broken my club it felt so odd. I guess even "tour balls" eventually feel like hockey pucks at freezing temps.

• Like 4

On 10/19/2019 at 6:41 PM, PMookie said:

I used to play that track weekly- we went at the crack of dawn to avoid that slow business. Are you here in Cal for work or something?

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

I used to play that track weekly- we went at the crack of dawn to avoid that slow business. Are you here in Cal for work or something?

Yes, training in Thousand Oaks for my new job.

• Like 1

That’s interesting, how long will you be in training? Then moving here?

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

Shot an 88 yesterday but it felt better than it was. Realised that I was stretching too far with my driver swing on the last few holes of the back 9, got a bit closer to the ball and was hitting it a lot better. I played with Luigi, a guy I've played with a few time before and an Asian husband and wife that are members and we had a very pleasant round. Hope I golf with them all again.

• Like 3

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

image.png

As much complaining as I do about the weather I do have to compliment the weather gods for this past weekend. It doesn't get any better than this: Low to mid 70's no humidity and no wind !. After a long weekend at my son's house with little sleep (we were dog sitting their puppies), we got home late Sunday aft and immediately ran out to play 9. Neither one of us played well (I shot my handicap), but the scenery and weather was awesome. 

This is a pic of the green on #5, a par 5 dogleg right, (the pic is taken from #6) it's a very narrow green protected on one side by water and a bunker on the right the full length of the green. 

IMG_6267.JPG

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

20 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

As much complaining as I do about the weather I do have to compliment the weather gods for this past weekend. It doesn't get any better than this: Low to mid 70's no humidity and no wind !. After a long weekend at my son's house with little sleep (we were dog sitting their puppies), we got home late Sunday aft and immediately ran out to play 9. Neither one of us played well (I shot my handicap), but the scenery and weather was awesome. 

This is a pic of the green on #5, a par 5 dogleg right, (the pic is taken from #6) it's a very narrow green protected on one side by water and a bunker on the right the full length of the green. 

IMG_6267.JPG

Great photo!  Concerning your score, I'm just going with the "low to mid 70's" 🙂.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5/14 FIR

10/18 GIR

29 Putts

Drove down to Sandpiper yesterday to play with @PMookie had a great time. We were paired with 2 ladies around the age of 60. They hit it a lot but wasted no time in doing so. 

Golf course views are just incredible. Greens were absolutely perfect. Probably running around 12, if you were above the hole you were just dead. Couple of loose drives but had it cruising along nicely at -2 through 13. Then proceeded to go double, bogey, bogey. Not a bad score at a course I hadn't seen before. Weather was perfect and company was just as good. 

• Like 9

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Concerning your score, I'm just going with the "low to mid 70's" 🙂.

I should be so lucky 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

26 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

5/14 FIR

10/18 GIR

29 Putts

Drove down to Sandpiper yesterday to play with @PMookie had a great time. We were paired with 2 ladies around the age of 60. They hit it a lot but wasted no time in doing so. 

Golf course views are just incredible. Greens were absolutely perfect. Probably running around 12, if you were above the hole you were just dead. Couple of loose drives but had it cruising along nicely at -2 through 13. Then proceeded to go double, bogey, bogey. Not a bad score at a course I hadn't seen before. Weather was perfect and company was just as good. 

Nice score!  It's cool hearing about MGS's getting together for rounds!

• Like 7