Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Ok man I am playing good but with all of that you gotta give me 3 up a side if we ever meet up!!! For once maybe I can give you some advice. Watch those speed trainers with the back. Which for you may be different but I hurt myself (post accident) with mine and the Skilz Ball trainer. Mine was all inferiority complex me trying to pull the club back and far. Trying to get more distance. Was pulling my back on both ends and of course stressing it. Of course as a rule you are smarter than me anyhow. But after getting the physical things figured out I came to accept that now I am a 64 year old with a bad back and that is the way it is. I did have to re do and think my course management some. I quit using both of those training aides for now and went back to the way I always did it warming up and timing it up using my wedges. 

Your 50 year old sounds like our buddy Uncle Cardy from WRX--- Cardy is 54 and is still long and a heck of a player. Even though I had been finding fairways with the M-6 I ended up putting the Honma back in the bag. Something on the M-6 and it may have been me was not feeling right. I know it is not cracked because I can not swing hard enough to crack an egg now much less a driver. I think it may be something having to do with my short swing and the Twisted Sister face. Then again it may be in my head. The Honma may be 5 yards shorter but I can stand up on the tee and absolutely know where I can hit it. Not sure I may be tangling with some flat bellies today myself. One of my buds who is still a good player at his mid 50s wants to play today. His son and his bud are down from college. They play for a smaller college up the road from us. I know his son is a good player. More than likely we will play the blue ( back ) tees at Founders club south of me. I love that course but it will be a stretch for me back there. I put my realistic goal of breaking 85 for me from there. When Cardy was here we played my home course from the mid tees. He did not push me on that but I did it anyhow. Basically jump started me on my course management attitude change. And no I am not going to push it. I now know my limitations and I am ok with it

The Founders from the Tips😱 

Be careful, don’t push it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

24 minutes ago, Rickp said:

The Founders from the Tips😱 

Be careful, don’t push it.

Oh trust me I have the mental discipline now not to push it. I know the course well and I feel that I can somewhat plod and plot myself around it. I can see me now wearing out my all ready half worn out V-Steel 3 wood today. But on that course I do know where to hit it and where not to hit it to. And here is where some of my persimmon vintage experience comes in. I have played persimmon on it from the white (mid) tees many times for kicks and giggles pre accident. Basically I figure even with my reduced distance I will end up with the modern metals near where I was from the white tees with the real lumber. Playing the lumber I had quite a few shots into Par 4s with the persimmon 2 wood. I know those greens like the back of my hand and can putt them if they roll good. I already know also that on a couple of the par3s I will have to hit a high cut driver from the back. One of them I do not think I can clear the hazard from the back even with the driver so I will have to do the left bailout and hope my wedge and putter gets me out on that. My goal is not to make any big numbers to make par or maybe a birdie when I can and settle for bogey on some. My realistic goal for score is somewhere between 82 (+10) to 85. LOL I can also see me wearing the 7&9 woods out on a couple of Par 5s for the 3rd shot.

My course management has never been good and this has been something I have worked hard on knowing my limitations these days. I have came to accept my limitations.  My late golf shop partner Big John told me one time and he played a lot of golf with me and watched me in Pro events. " Stuey you hit the ball well and are a stellar wedge player and putter but your course management frankly sucks" Our other friend who was an instructor also told me " Man if you used your brains instead of your balls you could really play" The last came about after an event round at Blackmoor here when I had 9 birdies and shot like 80 or 82. I never had a par that day and if the putter had not been smoking hot some of the doubles could have been quads or worse. I pointed out that I did win 10 skins that day from the skins pot. It was a one day event and no I did not finish in the tournament money but I pointed out I won $800 from the skins pot which I was ok with. Yeah I know the roll the dice gambler attitude. I know one of my fellow competitors was as hot as a match at me. Said dammit that (expletive) Stu shoots 82 and won most of the skins pot and made more than I did shooting 72 and finishing 6th. Yeah I made my birdies in the right spots what made my hay that day I made birdies on the last 4 holes. I was lucky and it was a funny day every other birdie I made that day I took a skin on that hole because it was open and someone else had won the carry over the hole before. It was bizarre even to my standards. I still have that official card somewhere put up from that day.

But these days I do not play events or big money matches and have not done so in more than 10 years now. And yes I have learned my limitations at 64 YOA with a bad back. I somewhat imagine Big John looking from above saying " well it took Stuey about 50 years and a broken back to learn course management" He would also add " But now he does not hit it hard enough to crack an egg or far enough to get into trouble" Yeah that would be my bud Big John in a nutshell. But yeah I have my round prepared with notes (which I never used to do) and I have my goal set for today

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

6 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Okay the Battle of Barefoot is in the books, we played our final round today on the Dye Course in Barefoot.

We started on hole #11, where after hitting a great drive, I bladed a 9 iron through the green and into the edge of a wooded area. I chipped out onto the fringe and realized…. I didn’t have my putter in my bag!!! I had to use my SW, and 4 putted for a -1. You can’t make this s**t up! We called the Pro Shop and they sent out a LH rental before we got to the 2nd green.

The story gets better… about 5 holes in, a Ranger pulls up to me holding MY putter. It turns out I took it with me when I had to punch out of the trees on my first hole, and left it there. For the life of me, I have no recollection of doing that. 🙄 Getting old isn’t easy.

Anyway, we were paired with the team right behind us in 2nd place, and they took it to us right from the start. They cut our 7 point lead down to 2 points when we finished 18 and turned to play our final 10 holes.

I was in a groove but my partner was struggling. I birdied the par 5 8th but he had a minus, so our combined 3 points vs the 2 net pars the other team made gave them the lead with only #’s 9 and 10 remaining to be played. As it turns out, #9 decided the tournament.

Its a tough hole, with a waste area up the left and water on the right the last 150 yards. I hit what was one of the best 3 woods of my life off the tee, about 225 in the bottleneck between the sand and water. My partner was about 25 yards behind me, back with our opponents.

My buddy got 2 strokes on the hole and he steeped up like a champ, hitting the green from 175 out with his FW. The other team put a ball in the water right, and the other went way left of the green, then skulled a chip into the water. I hit my second shot just short, putted to 4 feet and made par, as did that feisty 25 cap partner of mine! My net birdie and his net eagle were worth 7 points and their -2 total made it an unheard of 9 point swing, and the match, was all but over with one hole to play. I made par and my partner might still be out there trying to get in the hole, 😂 he made a -1. No worries though. He came through big time the hole before.

A quick word about my pard. He’s the first friend I made down here. We actually met about 14 years ago before we moved down when we both rented for a month in the same condo building. As much as he loves the game, he’s never been much of a golfer. He’s my bestie though, and he fights harder for every point than any 25 cap you’ve ever seen... I love the guy.

As for the singles, our flight had 32 players, I finished 3rd, two points out. As usual you want to kick yourself for silly mistakes where those strokes were lost, but at the end of the day, I tried my best on each shot over the 4 rounds, and I’m sure the two guys who finished ahead of me made the same amount of screw ups I did.

It was a ton of fun seeing the look on my boy Frank’s face when they announced us as the winners. He told me the only two times he’s ever won a tournament he was playing with me, and they were the highlights of his golfing life. To have your best friend tell you something like that was worth way more than the trophy and prize money we won. I hope you guys enjoyed reading these recaps half as much as I enjoyed playing with my friend.

Oh I love it the Battle at Barefoot. We will have the battle at Founders which I detailed above around 1: 00 this afternoon. Old decrepit  Stuey from the back tees with the flatbellies. Will see if brains can stick with balls. Now in reality I do not expect to beat them but hope to stand respectable. I have my plan and goals. 

Then if I survive Founders we have the Saturday Shootout at the Creek (indigo). I have the same team as last week. A snowbird couple I have known for a few years now and a guy that just moved here. On the fun factor of 1 to 10 this team rates about 15. I am liking this team more and more. With the original power team we expected to win every week. Even when I was on the mend we won because those guys played good as a team and I never lost my wedge or putting skills. With some of the pick up teams I was on they still expected me to come through big in a crunch. I mean it is hard 180 or so out or even 130 out  to try to hit a green when everyone else has missed. Then standing over a 10 ft putt when everyone has missed. It is also for me demoralizing when I had to back off and get conservative to hit the green instead of trying to knock the pin down. Then they get POed because I did not do that. I do have a somewhat reputation on the beach and around Indigo but like I have tried to explain I am not the same Stu from the pre accident days. If a pickup team I was on won a lot of times it was because me or one of the partners made darn near everything we stood over. Part of my reputation was in one of the 9 and Dines there was just me and the wife. And since she is learning I usually let her hit most of the alternate shots. Did not care about winning my goal was to have a good time with my wife and the great food afterwards. We blitzed them shooting -2 on the back nine. That was one of those days I made darn near every putt I stood over incuding 3 par saves and 1 birdie. LOL on the 14th a par 5 I hit a somewhat decent drive low burner cut the 3 wood close to the green. My wife of all things hit a worm burner hybrid up there to 2 feet. I told her now go up there and make the putt you have 3 chances DO NOT MAKE ME GET OFF THIS CART. She made it first try. LOL she did not putt much that day because she likes me showing her the line by me putting. LOL I knocked darn near everything that day first try. Some of the grumblers had something to say but the group in front and back of us verified it. Like one of the members said "Stuey made every thing he stood over first try" When my wife hit the worm burner close one group was on 15 tee waiting. Someone yelled over Stuey are you going to make her putt that? I also told them she had not better make me get off this cart. Of course we pulled up and were still waiting. One of the ladies cracked on me "It was time I finally let her putt". But see that is something else a lot of these folks expect me to make very putt every time every day. Yeah I will say I am a good putter but I aint that good no one is. This new team for now no one expects us to win and I have been basically playing my own game like I was playing my own ball stroke play.  No one gets bent and the guys wife asks me a lot on my intentions because she is learning. My wife was proud of the putter I had built her. She had picked out a Yes Dianna from a box of heads I had and it is nice. She was proud of it and had showed it off to some of the other ladies on the putting green. Of course one of the ladies had to give me crap at dinner told my wife " Your husband is a first class SOB he built you a beautiful putter and does not give you a chance to use it shame on him" Indigo Life aint nothing like it.

Yeah I thrive on our exploits on here an exchange of good times. Maybe we can play together and I do promise despite my beach hippie reputation If I come to your club I will behave and dress nicely I promise

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Oh I love it the Battle at Barefoot. We will have the battle at Founders which I detailed above around 1: 00 this afternoon. Old decrepit  Stuey from the back tees with the flatbellies. Will see if brains can stick with balls. Now in reality I do not expect to beat them but hope to stand respectable. I have my plan and goals. 

Then if I survive Founders we have the Saturday Shootout at the Creek (indigo). I have the same team as last week. A snowbird couple I have known for a few years now and a guy that just moved here. On the fun factor of 1 to 10 this team rates about 15. I am liking this team more and more. With the original power team we expected to win every week. Even when I was on the mend we won because those guys played good as a team and I never lost my wedge or putting skills. With some of the pick up teams I was on they still expected me to come through big in a crunch. I mean it is hard 180 or so out or even 130 out  to try to hit a green when everyone else has missed. Then standing over a 10 ft putt when everyone has missed. It is also for me demoralizing when I had to back off and get conservative to hit the green instead of trying to knock the pin down. Then they get POed because I did not do that. I do have a somewhat reputation on the beach and around Indigo but like I have tried to explain I am not the same Stu from the pre accident days. If a pickup team I was on won a lot of times it was because me or one of the partners made darn near everything we stood over. Part of my reputation was in one of the 9 and Dines there was just me and the wife. And since she is learning I usually let her hit most of the alternate shots. Did not care about winning my goal was to have a good time with my wife and the great food afterwards. We blitzed them shooting -2 on the back nine. That was one of those days I made darn near every putt I stood over incuding 3 par saves and 1 birdie. LOL on the 14th a par 5 I hit a somewhat decent drive low burner cut the 3 wood close to the green. My wife of all things hit a worm burner hybrid up there to 2 feet. I told her now go up there and make the putt you have 3 chances DO NOT MAKE ME GET OFF THIS CART. She made it first try. LOL she did not putt much that day because she likes me showing her the line by me putting. LOL I knocked darn near everything that day first try. Some of the grumblers had something to say but the group in front and back of us verified it. Like one of the members said "Stuey made every thing he stood over first try" When my wife hit the worm burner close one group was on 15 tee waiting. Someone yelled over Stuey are you going to make her putt that? I also told them she had not better make me get off this cart. Of course we pulled up and were still waiting. One of the ladies cracked on me "It was time I finally let her putt". But see that is something else a lot of these folks expect me to make very putt every time every day. Yeah I will say I am a good putter but I aint that good no one is. This new team for now no one expects us to win and I have been basically playing my own game like I was playing my own ball stroke play.  No one gets bent and the guys wife asks me a lot on my intentions because she is learning. My wife was proud of the putter I had built her. She had picked out a Yes Dianna from a box of heads I had and it is nice. She was proud of it and had showed it off to some of the other ladies on the putting green. Of course one of the ladies had to give me crap at dinner told my wife " Your husband is a first class SOB he built you a beautiful putter and does not give you a chance to use it shame on him" Indigo Life aint nothing like it.

Yeah I thrive on our exploits on here an exchange of good times. Maybe we can play together and I do promise despite my beach hippie reputation If I come to your club I will behave and dress nicely I promise

@Tom the Golf Nut posted here he’s coming down soon… if you two semi pros don’t mind playing with a 13-14 cap, I’d love to get together. I’m happy shooting in the mid 80’s, but I play fast. You won’t be waiting on me! 😜

Driver:         :ping-small:   G425 Max 10.5* 

Fairway:     :ping-small:   G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

:callaway-small:      Paradym  21*

Hybrids:      :callaway-small:      Rogue ST Max OS  24* 

Irons:          :cleveland-small:  Launcher XL Halo 6-DW

Wedges:     :cleveland-small:  CBX Zipcore 54-12

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:        :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

:OnCore: Elixir 

:1590477705_SunMountain:  2.5 14 way Black

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Oh trust me I have the mental discipline now not to push it. I know the course well and I feel that I can somewhat plod and plot myself around it. I can see me now wearing out my all ready half worn out V-Steel 3 wood today. But on that course I do know where to hit it and where not to hit it to. And here is where some of my persimmon vintage experience comes in. I have played persimmon on it from the white (mid) tees many times for kicks and giggles pre accident. Basically I figure even with my reduced distance I will end up with the modern metals near where I was from the white tees with the real lumber. Playing the lumber I had quite a few shots into Par 4s with the persimmon 2 wood. I know those greens like the back of my hand and can putt them if they roll good. I already know also that on a couple of the par3s I will have to hit a high cut driver from the back. One of them I do not think I can clear the hazard from the back even with the driver so I will have to do the left bailout and hope my wedge and putter gets me out on that. My goal is not to make any big numbers to make par or maybe a birdie when I can and settle for bogey on some. My realistic goal for score is somewhere between 82 (+10) to 85. LOL I can also see me wearing the 7&9 woods out on a couple of Par 5s for the 3rd shot.

My course management has never been good and this has been something I have worked hard on knowing my limitations these days. I have came to accept my limitations.  My late golf shop partner Big John told me one time and he played a lot of golf with me and watched me in Pro events. " Stuey you hit the ball well and are a stellar wedge player and putter but your course management frankly sucks" Our other friend who was an instructor also told me " Man if you used your brains instead of your balls you could really play" The last came about after an event round at Blackmoor here when I had 9 birdies and shot like 80 or 82. I never had a par that day and if the putter had not been smoking hot some of the doubles could have been quads or worse. I pointed out that I did win 10 skins that day from the skins pot. It was a one day event and no I did not finish in the tournament money but I pointed out I won $800 from the skins pot which I was ok with. Yeah I know the roll the dice gambler attitude. I know one of my fellow competitors was as hot as a match at me. Said dammit that (expletive) Stu shoots 82 and won most of the skins pot and made more than I did shooting 72 and finishing 6th. Yeah I made my birdies in the right spots what made my hay that day I made birdies on the last 4 holes. I was lucky and it was a funny day every other birdie I made that day I took a skin on that hole because it was open and someone else had won the carry over the hole before. It was bizarre even to my standards. I still have that official card somewhere put up from that day.

But these days I do not play events or big money matches and have not done so in more than 10 years now. And yes I have learned my limitations at 64 YOA with a bad back. I somewhat imagine Big John looking from above saying " well it took Stuey about 50 years and a broken back to learn course management" He would also add " But now he does not hit it hard enough to crack an egg or far enough to get into trouble" Yeah that would be my bud Big John in a nutshell. But yeah I have my round prepared with notes (which I never used to do) and I have my goal set for today

Good luck have fun👍
Listen to “Big Johns” course management advise.

Rick

Left Hand, 

7:00 am Tee Time, 65* slight breeze & sun coming up.  Nice morning.  Had mixed results 1 Birdie & 1 Double.  Unfortunately lost one of @Yellow Ball cousins.  It’s OK water was warm. Ended up +4 and had fine dining experience and diner with Bacon Boyz.  
Chief Bacon Boyz had a Mountain Scrambler with extra onions, sausage & sausage gravy.  Had to be 6,000 calories!!! 

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

7:00 am Tee Time, 65* slight breeze & sun coming up.  Nice morning.  Had mixed results 1 Birdie & 1 Double.  Unfortunately lost one of @Yellow Ball cousins.  It’s OK water was warm. Ended up +4 and had fine dining experience and diner with Bacon Boyz.  
Chief Bacon Boyz had a Mountain Scrambler with extra onions, sausage & sausage gravy.  Had to be 6,000 calories!!! 

Jeez Rick, I’m still in my pajamas drinking coffee, and you’ve already had a full day! 😱

5 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Jeez Rick, I’m still in my pajamas drinking coffee, and you’ve already had a full day! 😱

I got up at 5:00am for 50+ years.  Last 10 years sleep in till 5:30am.  Early on was at work early and got more done by 8:00/8:30am than rest of day.  Our animals also were used to getting fed when I got up and our Cat has decided that she is NOT waiting after 5:30 for her breakfast!!!  So I still get up early. 
The downside is I’m ready for bed @ 9:00om.

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I got up at 5:00am for 50+ years.  Last 10 years sleep in till 5:30am.  Early on was at work early and got more done by 8:00/8:30am than rest of day.  Our animals also were used to getting fed when I got up and our Cat has decided that she is NOT waiting after 5:30 for her breakfast!!!  So I still get up early. 

... Ain't we all different animals? I pretty much did the mid day or afternoon drive shift for most of my radio career. But once I succumbed to the big bucks and did a morning show. Every single morning, bar none on the way to the station at 5am I vowed to put in my 2 week notice. Finally one day in December when my alarm didn't go off and I woke up at 5:30 I threw on some clothes and jumped in the car and took off, frankly a little surprised at how much more traffic there was at 5:30am than 5am. As the fog in my head began to clear and about halfway to the station I realized I had taken a nap and it was 5:30PM!?! I turned in my notice the next morning. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Ain't we all different animals? I pretty much did the mid day or afternoon drive shift for most of my radio career. But once I succumbed to the big bucks and did a morning show. Every single morning, bar none on the way to the station at 5am I vowed to put in my 2 week notice. Finally one day in December when my alarm didn't go off and I woke up at 5:30 I threw on some clothes and jumped in the car and took off, frankly a little surprised at how much more traffic there was at 5:30am than 5am. As the fog in my head began to clear and about halfway to the station I realized I had taken a nap and it was 5:30PM!?! I turned in my notice the next morning. 

Heck of a nap😁.  I’m finding last couple years I want to take a 15/30min nap late afternoon.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 minute ago, Rickp said:

Heck of a nap😁.  I’m finding last couple years I want to take a 15/30min nap late afternoon.  

... I was young and burning the candle at both ends, staying up late and waking up early which meant afternoon naps of 1-2 hours a couple times a week. I never should have taken the morning shift. 

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I was young and burning the candle at both ends, staying up late and waking up early which meant afternoon naps of 1-2 hours a couple times a week. I never should have taken the morning shift. 

Late 1970’s needed extra money economy was poor so picked up a part time job.  After leaving Full Time job drive to 2nd job.  SWMBO came in with kids for 1/2 hour and had a quick bite with them.  Did that 4 nights a week + all day Saturday.  I slept most of Sunday then did it all over again.  Sure was happy when we got thru that!!  Can only do that when you’re young.

Rick

Left Hand, 

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Ok man I am playing good but with all of that you gotta give me 3 up a side if we ever meet up!!! For once maybe I can give you some advice. Watch those speed trainers with the back. Which for you may be different but I hurt myself (post accident) with mine and the Skilz Ball trainer. Mine was all inferiority complex me trying to pull the club back and far. Trying to get more distance. Was pulling my back on both ends and of course stressing it. Of course as a rule you are smarter than me anyhow. But after getting the physical things figured out I came to accept that now I am a 64 year old with a bad back and that is the way it is.

... We all struggle with the game. It comes and goes and I have learned to appreciate the times when everything seems easy and accept the times when everything is difficult and stopped fighting it quite a few years ago. To someone looking to break 90 the difference between a 70 and a 75 may seem small, but as you know hitting fairways and greens and just not making everything you look at is pretty easy. Make everything and a sub 70 is in the cards. Otoh missing fairways and greens when the swing is just a little out of sync can make for a very difficult round, chipping/pitching and grinding out pars and rarely having a look at a makable birdie. The entire day is a struggle but you learn how to score on your off days. Still an easy 71 can feel like a great day and a grinding 74 can feel like you were beat with a sack full of used batteries. 

... I am waaaaaay ahead of you on playing with a bad back. Two back surgeries 25 years or so when I had to change my swing and my approach to the game, but thanks for the reminder. I am not trying to do anything different in my speed training other than just swing faster. As long as my sequencing is in place, I find it pretty easy to do it with no added stress on my back. For me it is just a question of hitting a ball on the course they way I have for literally hundreds of thousands of swings OR swing faster and freely with no ball. I am not trying to go from 95+ to 115 and will be delighted with 100 and maybe even getting up to 105 but certainly no more than that. Swing feels good but just a little out of control in speed training but I will always follow the intricate, educated advice from an expert in the field that went to Med School and has more knowledge about physiology and genetics than I could ever dream of when he told me in the most technical medical terms "If it hurts, stop doing it. If it doesn't hurt do it all you want". 

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

@Tom the Golf Nut posted here he’s coming down soon… if you two semi pros don’t mind playing with a 13-14 cap, I’d love to get together. I’m happy shooting in the mid 80’s, but I play fast. You won’t be waiting on me! 😜

I get in town on 5/22 and leave on 5/29. Visiting with my brother and sister in law who live in up the coast a bit in St. James, but we are staying in NMB. My brother in law plays golf as well so we plan on playing a few times. He's a high 80's low 90's scoring wise. Sounds like we have a foursome if we can pry Big Stu away from Indigo! 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

45 minutes ago, chisag said:

..... I will always follow the intricate, educated advice from an expert in the field that went to Med School and has more knowledge about physiology and genetics than I could ever dream of when he told me in the most technical medical terms "If it hurts, stop doing it. If it doesn't hurt do it all you want". 

It must be a required part of med school curriculum.  My doctor says the same thing.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Game was all over the board today - ended up with a 91. Birdied a par 5 , missed a 4' putt for a bird on a par 3 and sank a few water balls (sorry @Yellow Ball). Driver was the biggest offender, drives were straight but just too short.  

Finally a hole that was designed for us lefties - #18 at our Club here in Florida,

IMG_8767.jpg.a94077f4eab0dcd723539381f8391e25.jpg

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I'll play with a 38 handicap player as long as they don't play slowly!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

16 hours ago, Rickp said:

I have always been early to bed early to rise except in the party days. Part of my upbringing. Even though I am retired I am still up between 3 and 3:30 most mornings. Of course as my wife says I am in bed with the chickens. Usually I am in bed by 7 or so. I guess even being retired I have a routine. The coffee pot is set to work at 3:00. I am up pecking on here and have the golf on the tube until 4 AM and then I have Jimmy Swaggart on. Then it is the local news and check the weather. Sometimes if we have bad weather I may go back to bed. I will note I have been on a CPAT machine 12 years now and sleep solid so I am rested. 

G

16 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I get in town on 5/22 and leave on 5/29. Visiting with my brother and sister in law who live in up the coast a bit in St. James, but we are staying in NMB. My brother in law plays golf as well so we plan on playing a few times. He's a high 80's low 90's scoring wise. Sounds like we have a foursome if we can pry Big Stu away from Indigo! 

If that is an invite heck yeah you can certainly pry me away from Indigo to play with you guys. Let me know Tom You still have my number???

G

Ok The Battle of the Flounders uggh I mean Founders.  Man it was tough but I stuck to my plan and exceeded my goal and shot 82 with no birdies and no doubles or worse even though I had a couple of good sniffs at one. I know most of the staff there but had not been there in a couple of years so it was a reunion of sorts. I came up toting my mess and one of the bag drop guys yelled "Look it is back from the dead its Stuey!!!" Of course the Tourons were looking. Went in to pay and came back out and one of the long time bag drop guys told me he knew it was me. I asked who told you and he said no one. He saw the bag and no I do not have a bag tag on it knew it was me. Told me yeah I recognized the Macgregor irons rusty 588s and the Rusty Scotty knew who it was. Then he gave me a ration of crap about me having 4 headcovers in the bag now. He is in his 70s now, Told me welcome to old mans golf. Everyone on the South side in the golf world had heard about my accident and of course the rumors had flown. He had heard or maybe imagined I was paralyzed. By then my other bud on the bag drop came back up he is one of my fellow members at Indigo and works at Founders two days a week, Told him well if he had dragged his butt up to Indigo he would have seen me hustling everyone there which is not entirely true or false. 

By then my playing buds had came up and we got carted up. My bud Frankie who I have not played with in 4 years now had a sort a reunion. He said that his big mouth had got him into that match with his son and team mate. Told me I did not have to play from where they were playing from. I told them I would not have it any other way that I needed the frustration and challenge both physically and mentally. LOL I did wax my bud Frankie's butt from the back. He shot 84. His son carded a 74 and the other kid who was an excellent ball striker carded a 78. Yep stuck to the game plan and it worked. The kid that shot the 78 said if he could putt like me he would have carded better. I told him I did not putt that well and he said the heck you did not. Frankie told him naah he did not putt well because I did not drop anything. Frankie put the needle in then and told him if I had putted like he knew me to putt I might have waxed their arsses. I did not putt bad but did not make a thing all day but no 3 putts. My wedges were not bad but not to my standard so we will leave it at that. We had a big BS session and reunion of sorts afterward. My member bud from the bag drop came in and asked what I shot. Told him 82 and he said meeh not too bad then Frankie told him from the blue tees. He said HOLY CRAP!!!! and trust me the Tourons in there were looking. I will bet Bud was on the phone for the drive home and I guess everyone at Indigo will know by tee off time in the Shootout this morning what I did. I can hear Bud (in fun of course) will be clamoring for me to be put back on the white tees at Indigo. I was proud of myself not for the score but my management and my mental discipline of not pushing the issue. Frankie who is a full blooded NY Italian can put the needle in deep. He was telling those kids that when I was their age I could air mail their drives with a Persimmon driver and a balata ball. Of course he did not know me then and no I was long but not that long. Actually had to explain it to the other kid Eric that Frankie was putting the needle in. that in reality it was a whole different era and game. Told him the equipment was totally different and kids like him these days are really athletes. I told him when I was his age I got my exercise with 12oz curls and chasing anything with a skirt or hot pants on. Neither kid had ever hit a persimmon driver I told them no problem lets go. The one asked if I had a real wood driver with me? Frankie laughed and told him more than likely 2 or 3 in the trunk of the Benz. I fetched it and since Founders does not have a range just a net I got permission and I let them try it with some shag balls off the nearby 10th tee. I told them it did not have enough shaft for them because it has a stock graphite in it. The kid Eric was worried about cracking it. Frankie laughed and said if he did I more than likely had 100 crammed up at the house naah I told Frankie not that many but close to 40. Yep it did not have the proper shaft for those two limberbacks but they did well. The kid Eric who is one heck of a ball striker figured out how to time it up after about 5 or 6 balls and hit a pretty little 240 250 draw. They finally wanted to see me hit it Ok I hit a couple of my little 175 180 cuts with it. Eric asked me if I played the stuff and I told him yeah but I practiced with the persimmon driver because if I can hit it fairly good in the face the Toyota on a stick was a no brainer. My friend Bud backed me up on that told him if you saw me at indigo on the range practicing that more than likely that driver would be crammed into the bag along with a Tommy Armour blade putter for the same reason. I did not realize it we had drawn a crowd of curious Tourons. Frankie the successful business man coming out in him said "we ought to have charged admission for this clinic" It was getting dark and he further quipped "shows over go home".

Frankie is going to bring the kids by this afternoon when my Shootout is over and they have came back from Brunswick. They are each getting a persimmon driver from me. Frankie Jr. Is getting a Mac DS with a stiff Pro Pel and Eric is getting a Penna with a X-100 has the same head as my practice graphite Penna. They may also get an Ironmaster or Bulls Eye too. Yep a fun day but my goal every day since I have retired is to make every day a fun day no matter where I am at or what I am doing----- LOL I have coined it and maybe need to patent it----- Stu's World where it is always fun

G

BTW absolutely no pain or stiffness this AM from the above activities

G

28 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

BTW absolutely no pain or stiffness this AM from the above activities

👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

9 hours ago, BIG STU said:

If that is an invite heck yeah you can certainly pry me away from Indigo to play with you guys. Let me know Tom You still have my number???

I still have your number. 

I played in my Saturday league today. It was a cold, damp day and I had absolutely nothing in the tank, nor any desire to be out there. I had already committed though and didn’t want to drop out at the last minute.

It was a day to forget. I was so bad I decided to stop after the 14th hole. Nobody wants to quit, but there was no way I was going to fix what was going on, so I just rode along with the rest of my foursome the last 4 holes.

I mentioned yesterday how worn out I was from all the golf I’d played recently. The plan was to play today then take a break. I went one bridge too far however. I should’ve shut it down for a few days after Thursday’s round.

29 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I mentioned yesterday how worn out I was from all the golf I’d played recently. The plan was to play today then take a break. I went one bridge too far however. I should’ve shut it down for a few days after Thursday’s round.

I find I go through the same thing especially when I have an out of town charity scramble. I get into town a day or two early and play in a practice round the day before with my group. They always play  back because of where we will be playing from during the outing. So I have to play extra strong all day and usually play well. Then  the next day, the day of the tournment, I don’t play my best because I'm sore and tired. I need a day in between to rest. 

51 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I played in my Saturday league today. It was a cold, damp day and I had absolutely nothing in the tank, nor any desire to be out there. I had already committed though and didn’t want to drop out at the last minute.

It was a day to forget. I was so bad I decided to stop after the 14th hole. Nobody wants to quit, but there was no way I was going to fix what was going on, so I just rode along with the rest of my foursome the last 4 holes.

And people wonder how Joaquin Niemann can win The Genesis last week and miss the cut this week at The Honda.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played most of the Palm course at Disney World. Ran out of daylight but we finished up 16 barely able to see. It was an enlightening day for me. I've been working on the drills from my coach for a few months and most of the time I have my swing sorted. It was just slightly off today. Even if it wasn't off, I haven't played enough actual rounds to translate my practice swing to the real thing often enough. Was only my second round since starting to play again last year, so I wasn't expecting much. 

Most importantly, I had fun and hit just enough good shots to keep me coming back for more abuse from this game. The greens had some tough pins so putting was a bit of a struggle. I think I need to start playing more and spending less time on the practice so that I can decrease the gap between my good and bad swings. I need to trust the progress I've made on my swing out on the course. Easier said than done of course. Playing a different course in Kissimmee tomorrow so hopefully I can sort out the little quirks before then. 

Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 4 w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6- 
3 Wood: PXG 0341XF Gen 4 w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70g
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Spornia SPG-7 hitting net review
2023 Titleist White Box ProV1 review

I started reading “The Inner Game of Golf” this week and used some of the techniques to keep the mind clear, and either I had a good day, or they work. Perhaps a bit of both. Got a couple good bounces, but putt pretty poorly. Shot one of my best rounds at my home course so it was a good day. 

Got out for 9 holes my first round of the season. 39* at tee-off, with most of the water hazards iced over from overnight cold. At one point my brother topped the ball off the tee, it bounced down into the water hazard, across the ice, and back up the other side!

With the cold it was tough to get a full swing in. I was wearing a down coat and taking it off for each shot. Driving was actually really good, and I was 2/2 out of bunkers, but struggled with my irons. 
831A1549-1703-42FB-A295-F19429BEBA2F.jpeg.51b89b4f5fe9202552a2cb82584aa757.jpeg

@Kieran has kept his hair pretty long over the winter, so it felt like I was golfing with a bigger Tommy Fleetwood. 
C2C0643A-C082-43D2-ABAB-9E75BA5868E5.jpeg.b39d179f833391c9386dc0a85b33b043.jpeg

Overall a decent start to the season!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS