Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

34 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I played the Dunes on Monday for the first time in a few years, and I have to say I wasn’t impressed. The greens (which were the fastest down here back then) we’re sanded, and honestly, the course wasn’t in that great shape, except for the bunkers, which were pristine. I shot 43 on the front, but totally blew up on the back with a 51 when the wind off the ocean picked up to about 25mph. The wind was a factor, but I just continue to have these unexplained stretches where I just “lose it”.

It was like that back nine on Monday never happened when  played the Fazio Course yesterday. I shot 83, which is the best score I’ve put up there in a while.  
All told the good days are starting to come in bunches, with an occasional bad one thrown in to keep me humble, 🙄. I need to get better from 120 yards and in though. If I can do that I should start breaking 80 consistently.

Good playing with that wind at the Dunes.  Played there quite a few times back in the day and was always pristine too bad you hit it at a bad time.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

43/46 for 89 today.  Score was meh, but I felt like I played much better than it shows.   Killed myself on the last three holes.  Caught a really bad bounce off the tee that blocked me from approach.  Layed it up then promptly thinned a chip over the green and into a bush.  Ended up with a 1-putt for triple.  🤦‍♂️  Hit a decent drive on 17, a great approach shot, a nice lag putt, then pushed a 3 footer to the high side to miss par.  🤦‍♂️  On the tee on 18 I pulled my drive which promptly caught full cart path and bounced OB.  Ended the round with a double.  🤦‍♂️  Six shots dropped in three holes hurts the soul.  Still though I felt really comfortable, just made a few mistakes that I compounded.  

On the flip side there was a lot to like.  The maiden voyage with the 639cb irons was a success.  Really, really happy with the decision to get these irons.  Almost chipped in for eagle, tapped in for birdie, and played great approach all day.  At this point the hump is clearly mental.  I have the game to break 80, I just have to string it together.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: Z585 5/PW -- Modus 115

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore -- 46° Mid @47°,  50° Mid @51°, 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

I got to play for the first time in five months (back surgery, weather, knee PT). Also no practice in that time. My ball striking was surprisingly good, just a few mishits late in the round when my back was tired. Around and on the greens, however, I'll just say the rust showed. I didn't mishit shots, but I had no feel for distance. Shot an 82 (I'm a 7) that I think could have been 75 with my normal short game. I'm happy enough with the score, and very happy to be playing again.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Got out today, after they finished aerating the greens earlier this week but before the anticipated snow was supposed to hit later this afternoon.  Only got in 9 holes, as the cold winds were getting "fun".  About a 2 club wind coming in the home stretch.  2 guys made the turn, the rest of us called it a day.  Even with 2 silly doubles, I shot 40 for the 9.  Not unhappy, even tho the aerated greens made putting less than stellar.

Edit:  Why I didn't finish....and it's getting worse.  Expecting 1-2 inches this afternoon and evening.  Be back in the 70s next week.  LOL.  Looking out my back porch at #18.

IMG_0495.jpeg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It is currently 64 degrees and sunny. Ran over to the course to play 9 before the weather turns. Supposed to be between 10 and 13 degrees for the next two nights with snow tonight. Crazy winter.

You're in the same storm belt we're seeing...you'll just get it a few hours later...LOL

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

7:02am Tee Time on Exec across the street from us.   16 Bacon Boyz showed up ready to go in the 70* cloudy morning.  
I parred 1st hole easily but was smacked back to reality with a double on 2nd hole.  Settled down on after that with with 3 pars and 1 bogie for a +3.  
Fourth hole is a bear of a Par 3 All carry with our Tee this morning 175-180.  There is water on 3 sides and a house in back.  I hit a 5 hybrid to pin highs just off green and 2putted.  
Off to local Diner afterwards!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

60 hear today so I got out at my dad’s course. They had just punched the greens so they were super shaggy and slowwwww 

Despite that I shot -1 on the front and +2 on the back to shoot +1 73 

I am now +1 combined in my last two rounds of golf which is by far my best back to back rounds ever. and neither rounds count toward my handicap 🤣🤣

In both rounds I have posted positive strokes gained in both approach in short game (vs a scratch handicap). I am as about as dialed in with my irons and wedges as I’ve ever been  

The secret? Confidence. I’m stepping up to the ball and telling myself I can hit the shot at hand. Not thinking about mechanics and not thinking about how I’ve messed up similar shots in the past.

Did I hit a few squirrelly shots?  Sure! But I treated them as outliers where as in the past I would say “it was only a matter of time before i hit a bad one “

Ive done no offseason swing work or practice. Just reading about mental game and getting out of my own way. So far it is really paying off.

That’s awesome playing and that mentality is awesome. It’s one that many top athletes have, miss 10 putts in a row and your due to make, make 10 in a row and the 11th is gonna go in too because your hot. Either way confident in your ability. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

14 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

That’s awesome playing and that mentality is awesome. It’s one that many top athletes have, miss 10 putts in a row and your due to make, make 10 in a row and the 11th is gonna go in too because your hot. Either way confident in your ability. 

Yup. My rounds have always been plagued by the double bogey or two that ruins an otherwise good round. 

I could be playing great, but eventually the thoughts would creep in like “well it’s only a matter of time before I s*** the bed”. Now im playing with the mindset that good golf is in my control and not with a defeatist attitude that the blow up hole is inevitable. 

And if the bad break or double bogey does happen, I treat it like the outlier rather than the expected. 

Two rounds in and the results are better than I could have ever expected.  

Oh man.  Turned gold into garbage.  Made the turn at 3 under net in contention then blew up and finished 14 over net.  41/51 92. Another round that hurts the soul.  On the plus side, I again hit some truly tremendous approach shots, had three birdies in a round for the first time ever, and generally thought but for a 4 hole horror stretch on the back that I struck the ball well.  I just have to figure out how to get out of my own way.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore -- 46° Mid @47°,  50° Mid @51°, 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Ball

15 hours ago, juspoole said:

Last thing was that we weren't keeping score on the card, but through the round.  I just remember not being very happy with how I was playing.  However looking back, I was a couple over for the 9 holes that could easily have been even.  I think it was because I was scooting my ball around rather than actually hitting solid quality shots for several of them.  Obviously, I hope I can get it back to normal and make better contact, but there are a lot of different ways to score in golf.  

That's it!!  I've been trying to find words to describe my play lately... I've been scooting my ball around rather than hitting quality shots...  Thanks!!  Got to stop doing that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Back at my home track.

Conditions were a little different to last weekends golf trip. Instead of 5 irons stopping dead on landing, the greens were like concrete. Didn’t repair a pitch mark all day.

Played off 7, my group’s aggregate handicap was 7, played with a +1, a 0 and a 1. The +1 is 15 years old and has come down from 8 over the last year or so. Young bloke who can really get it out there. The other 2 are great blokes who I’ve really enjoyed playing with in the past.

Finished 8 over with a triple and a double. Ball striking wasn’t great but I putted extremely well apart from one timid 3 putt. According to Shotscope my average putt made length was 7 feet. Holed a from 30 feet, 25 feet and a couple from 15. Pretty happy with my score with the greens as hard as they were and how tough some of the pins were.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

12 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Oh man.  Turned gold into garbage.  Made the turn at 3 under net in contention then blew up and finished 14 over net.  41/51 92. Another round that hurts the soul.  On the plus side, I again hit some truly tremendous approach shots, had three birdies in a round for the first time ever, and generally thought but for a 4 hole horror stretch on the back that I struck the ball well.  I just have to figure out how to get out of my own way.

I read this, and feel your pain. I think players at our level go through more frustration than any other handicap “group”.

When we’re on, we can play really good golf. There isn’t a hole we can’t par and we have a chance to birdie most. When we’re off though, we look as bad as bad can be. I won’t speak for you, but there are entire rounds or stretches in the middle of good ones where I’m just completely lost.

I think I could deal with playing bogey golf if I did it consistently, and I knew I was getting the most I could from my game. I think I’d accept it and enjoy the game more.
What drives me nuts is going out there and and having 8-10 pars but sprinkling in a couple of doubles or triples, or shooting 2 or 3 good rounds and then blowing up on the next one.

Driver:         :ping-small:   G425 Max 10.5* 

Fairway:     :ping-small:   G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

:callaway-small:      Paradym  21*

Hybrids:      :callaway-small:      Rogue ST Max OS  24* 

Irons:          :cleveland-small:  Launcher XL Halo 6-DW

Wedges:     :cleveland-small:  CBX Zipcore 54-12

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:        :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

:OnCore: Elixir 

:1590477705_SunMountain:  2.5 14 way Black

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

I read this, and feel your pain. I think players at our level go through more frustration than any other handicap “group”.

When we’re on, we can play really good golf. There isn’t a hole we can’t par and we have a chance to birdie most. When we’re off though, we look as bad as bad can be. I won’t speak for you, but there are entire rounds or stretches in the middle of good ones where I’m just completely lost.

I think I could deal with playing bogey golf if I did it consistently, and I knew I was getting the most I could from my game. I think I’d accept it and enjoy the game more.
What drives me nuts is going out there and and having 8-10 pars but sprinkling in a couple of doubles or triples, or shooting 2 or 3 good rounds and then blowing up on the next one.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head here.  Feels like you have every tool to be playing sub 80 single digit golf but you just can't quite string it together. To me it's clearly mental.  I'm working on not beating myself up, but it's clear that I still do even if I don't outwardly show it anymore.  It's probably time to do another read of Golf is not a game of perfect.  😆

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

... One of the great things about golf is it is an equal opportunity frustrater. The struggle is the same for all handicap groups and even the guys on tour go through the same frustration. They shoot 65 and everything is working like a well oiled machine, then miss the cut the next week shooting 73-72 and nothing is working. As a + index I can shoot a very easy 69 and the next week I can struggle to shoot 74. It isn't so much the 5 strokes as it is everything seems just a little off and nothing is easy so the entire round is a grind. Lots of up and downs instead of GIR's and missed birdie putts. The frustration is the same at any level so just know you are not alone fellas. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

27 minutes ago, chisag said:

... One of the great things about golf is it is an equal opportunity frustrater. The struggle is the same for all handicap groups and even the guys on tour go through the same frustration. They shoot 65 and everything is working like a well oiled machine, then miss the cut the next week shooting 73-72 and nothing is working. As a + index I can shoot a very easy 69 and the next week I can struggle to shoot 74. It isn't so much the 5 strokes as it is everything seems just a little off and nothing is easy so the entire round is a grind. Lots of up and downs instead of GIR's and missed birdie putts. The frustration is the same at any level so just know you are not alone fellas. 

I had a funny thought the other day that may be the problem was that I just hadn't shifted my expectations for bad play a stroke lower per hole.  😉

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

24 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

I had a funny thought the other day that may be the problem was that I just hadn't shifted my expectations for bad play a stroke lower per hole.  😉

... LOL I hear ya and as you know it is a cliche for a reason but really having no expectations and taking it one stroke at a time is the best way to play. You just accept whatever you have on any given day and play to the best of your ability for each shot. I think having expectations just makes a perplexing mental game even more mentally perplexing. 

Played 9 the other day. Score (42) ended up better than it felt. Could swear it was closer to 50 as nothing seemed easy, not like its ever easy. Swing felt tight and my chipping is just horrendous and becoming an issue but I'll get it figured out. Thats the fun though right? Fixing the thing that is the biggest problem at the time and I embrace that challenge. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

5 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

Swing felt tight and my chipping is just horrendous and becoming an issue but I'll get it figured out. Thats the fun though right? Fixing the thing that is the biggest problem at the time and I embrace that challenge. 

... So very true. I always say golf is the perfect addiction because when you play poorly you can't wait to get back out and fix it and if you play well you can't wait to get back out and do it again. 

Wasn't hitting irons that well, but fixed the issue after my round, at the range. Setup was getting a little sloppy so i fixed that.

Driver was on fire. First day out with the Rogue Max LS with my Autoflex. Was hitting the ball farther than i ever have and with good dispersion. I thought i was driving the ball well with my Epic Max LS, but it was even better with the Rogue Max LS. Note, not sure if its purely the new model that was improving my driving, because its not perfect apples to apples. The Rogue Max LS setup is at least 7 grams heavier in the head and I also switched from the All-Fit adapter on my shaft to a Callaway Red dot adapter (Tour Flat). But overall, that setup is awesome

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 3/12/2022 at 6:47 AM, tony@CIC said:

Wife and I went out late (3:00) yesterday with our Ohio friends for 18. We knew we were going to run out of daylight - but decided that since the weather was moving in for a couple of days - it was worth it. We were only able to play 13 but my front 9 was a best ever 40, I didn't mind quitting after 13.  And that was with a couple of lousy drives. Now to see if I can replicate that 40! 

Congrats on the 40!!  You can doooo it again!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Saturday was the absolute best day to play this year; 71º sunny and no wind.  Perfect.  My wife and I played with one of the course workers and his wife.  He can crush the ball, but he was playing his old Titleist 917 driver because he cracked his Epic a few weeks ago, and is with a replacement.  

I stunk it up with 44/44 for 88.  Nothing worked well, including my short game which usually saves several shots around the green.  I had 6 bunker shots and didn't play any of them well.

Sunday was a completely different day all together now.  High 40's when we got to the green and the wind blowing maybe 10-15mph.  By the back nine the wind picked up to 20-30mph; chilling to the bone!  We were the group behind the Men's Club gangsome, just like Saturday when the round took 4 hours and 45 minutes.  Today, since we were a twosome I thought they would let us play through as they were only one group of 5... but no.  When we made the turn, we jumped to #12, then played #10-11 when we finished #18.  Played in 3 hours and 45 minutes.

I shot 43 (+6) on the front; par, par, DB, par, DB, par, birdie, bogey, DB; three bad holes  🤬.  On the back nine because we didn't have to wait, I shot 38 (+3).  Short game helped a lot today.

My normal Saturday game was cancelled because of the snow from Friday evening.  Although we had about 2 inches of wet snow, it was gone by Saturday afternoon and today was headed back into the 60s, so I signed up to play with a different group of guys today.  I think I was the highest handicap player out of the 10 playing.  We had 2 5somes tee it up, tossing in 10 bucks for the game and skins.  I didn't play well, although I did manage to birdie both par 3s on the front side and holed out an 80 yard shot from the fairway on the hardest hole on the backside for another birdie (long par 4 after duffing my second shot with my 3 wood).  All 3 birdies held up for skins.  On the less than stellar side, I didn't have a par until #13 and then only had one other par after that.  To my credit, the wind was rather brisk and mainly into our faces during the round and our greens still haven't recovered from the recent aeration.  Shot 42/43, in spite of the troubles I had.  As has been the case all winter here, I'm a basket case with the wedge in my hand on these tight lies with wet soil beneath.

15 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Congrats on the 40!!  You can doooo it again!

Rough day yesterday - with the high winds, but this time was able to play all 18. Ended up with a 90. Oh well. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart