Testers Wanted! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Far from my best work today, but ended up having a lot of fun. Played Winterstone from the red tees (Par 72, 6234yds, 70.6/131) with two guys from Minneapolis. They came down to KC on vacation to play public courses which I thought was pretty cool. 
Weather was the perfect temp, but super windy with averages around 20mph and gusts of 30-40mph. Was a tough scene and I ultimately ended up stop keeping score. Drove the ball super well for me today, but the rest of my game was a struggle; either sending it long or a shank. Still had a lot of fun, happy with my driver after tipping, and glad I met those two guys.IMG_2400.jpeg.630983ce1175dad9dfaf73cabd98ddc9.jpegIMG_2401.jpeg.813dc438471b354fb8de4c555a04c7b9.jpegIMG_2404.png.3679e80588315771d06398e847752fb7.png

• Driver [ON PROBATION]: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White Xlink 65g, Stiff flex
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:Sub70: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted), Single-bend graphite/steel shaft, :garsen: Ultimate grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)

-TJ

31 minutes ago, BallsLeon said:

Far from my best work today, but ended up having a lot of fun. Played Winterstone from the red tees (Par 72, 6234yds, 70.6/131) with two guys from Minneapolis. They came down to KC on vacation to play public courses which I thought was pretty cool. 
Weather was the perfect temp, but super windy with averages around 20mph and gusts of 30-40mph. Was a tough scene and I ultimately ended up stop keeping score. Drove the ball super well for me today, but the rest of my game was a struggle; either sending it long or a shank. Still had a lot of fun, happy with my driver after tipping, and glad I met those two guys.IMG_2400.jpeg.630983ce1175dad9dfaf73cabd98ddc9.jpegIMG_2401.jpeg.813dc438471b354fb8de4c555a04c7b9.jpegIMG_2404.png.3679e80588315771d06398e847752fb7.png

Sometimes the score is a byproduct. It's the fun that keeps us coming back!  Glad you enjoyed it!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

First round at my course this morning after getting back from a nice, warm golf vacation in Palm Springs.  hated to play in the high-30, low-40 degree after that trip but have to get back at it some time.  The sun was out, but the wind picked up on the 5th hole and I was chillin’ and not in a good way.

I managed to scatter 4 bogeys for a 41 on the front nine.  The back nine was 3 bogeys and a stoopid double on #16, but followed it with a 30 foot birdie putt on #17… so a 39 on the back nine for a round of 80.  Can’t complain really; the short driving distances over this past winter seemed to have left and the wind-aided bombs were back.  Short game had it’s ups and downs… pun intended!  On #11 my approach shot missed a little left and the ball ran down the steep slope and across the cart path.  Can’t see the green surface; hit a decent LW that almost made it onto the green, then rolled back down the slope and across the cart path again to my feet.  Tried again… with better result; landed ball on green and checked up a foot past the hole.  On the par 3 #12 back into the breeze, my tee shot came up short in the bunker, but saved par with a 4 foot putt.

I need to spend some practice time out on the course to get rid of the warm grass blues from SoCal.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sunny & 62* today so we lined up some elder care and got the 2nd to last open tee time and headed to the course!  It was very crowded, waiting on every shot and we were only able to get in 13 holes before playing #9 again to head back to the parking lot.  Some of the tees were in their normal spots while most are still in the winter tee location so the course is still playing fairly short.  I managed 2 bogies on the first two holes and 1 late birdie with all the others pars.  Three  birdie putts were left a couple rolls short as I couldnt get adjusted to the slower green speed.

My favorite shot of the day was a 7i on the 5th hole, a 90* dogleg right par 4.  The tee shot with the 18* hybrid was hit too high into the wind and came up shorter than i wanted.  In the fairway but was not far enough to be clear of the trees on the corner of the dogleg, I had to fade / slice around them to hit the green.  I opened the face and my stance and did my best cut swing.  The result was a nice high slice that ended up in the middle of the green.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, KBS Tour 120 S; Edison 2.0 53*, KBS Tour 120 S ;  Edison 2.0 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I scored horrible today but played well. Makes no sense right. But I’ll explain. I left the house at 7:30 and it was a little foggy. I got to the course and it was dense fog. You couldn’t see the ball after 30 /40 yards. Always being one to take on a golf challenge I teed off.  I had to use a lime green ball just to get a sense of direction after the strike.  The positive, I didn’t lose a ball. The negative I didn’t think to bring a GPS and my laser was useless. Not being able to see a green or even judge distance was a fun challenge. I only parred 3 holes on the front 9 and bogeyed the rest. I consider that a win. By the back 9 it cleared up and the pars were back on track with one birdie.

It was a crazy thing to try but I had fun. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I scored horrible today but played well. Makes no sense right. But I’ll explain. I left the house at 7:30 and it was a little foggy. I got to the course and it was dense fog. You couldn’t see the ball after 30 /40 yards. Always being one to take on a golf challenge I teed off.  I had to use a lime green ball just to get a sense of direction after the strike.  The positive, I didn’t lose a ball. The negative I didn’t think to bring a GPS and my laser was useless. Not being able to see a green or even judge distance was a fun challenge. I only parred 3 holes on the front 9 and bogeyed the rest. I consider that a win. By the back 9 it cleared up and the pars were back on track with one birdie.

It was a crazy thing to try but I had fun. 

WOW, just WOW….Who knew; all these years I surely must have been playing in a fog, a heavy dense fog.. . 

Played 18 yesterday at Twin Pines Municipal in Cedar Rapids, IA. First time out this year, it was 75* on March 3rd, so I couldn't complain too much. Actually, I did complain about the 30 mph sustained winds with gusts 45-50. It was brutal, and I'm pretty sure I used almost an entire stick of Chapstick. But, I played pretty well for the first time outside in 3 months. Shot 84 while playing a modified shamble (I played my own ball the entire day); had two teams of buddies playing the best drive, then playing their own ball in with the lowest individual score counting for the team score. My team shot even par 72 against a +3 75 for the W, a celebratory beer at the clubhouse, and a whole bunch of sh** talking until the next one.

I personally had a pretty good day with the driver, with 5 drives over 300 (with a little wind assist), and then a couple that barely crept past 200 while hitting into the wind. My new driver is definitely narrowing my dispersion and helping me keep the ball in play. Wedge game was respectable, with my best shot of the day coming from 65 yards out on #1 - flighted the ball and hit the green with a one hop and stop to 10' for a two putt par. Putting was pretty good for the unmaintained winter conditions, and the approach game was very difficult trying to keep the ball down and control distance. Zero three putts on the day - a major win for me. All in all, I had a fantastic time out playing with my buddies and minimized mistakes in very difficult conditions. 

image.png.980caeb8adfdedd204c607ddc6634ad9.png

21905.png

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

There I am. All set to hole the 5th at Sunbury. My wife's picture even captures the moment. What you don't see is that the ball continued to slide past the hole and came to a rest  about the same distance from the hole on the other side. Putting lessons, any one? 

Messing up the 5th again.jpg

Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4 / Callaway Rogue ST 5FW / Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids / Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW / Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60 / Odyssey White Hot OG 7 / Mizuno RB566

Working on a new swing that has me striking my long irons better but I'm hitting some shots fat/short. I'm taking solace in the fact that when I'm not hitting it pure, the ball is still flying straight and I'm avoiding the crazy blow up holes. I was also pleased to go nine holes with no three putts, even had a couple of up & downs. Driver was all over the place, only hit one fairway. Scoring is stuck in the high 40's for 9.

IMG_5198.PNG

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Tight lies continue to knock me down!! Went 82 when I easily could've went low to mid 70's. Early spring with dormant growth has been horrible for my game. I finally started getting some better chipping motions in my game. I really am not producing the up and downs needed to be very good. I had 2 birdies this weekend but too many bogeys from 3-4ft off the green. Left myself some hard shots I shouldn't have given myself but the short game is definitely the struggle point. 

Looking forward to later in the year to start feeling the greenside game play a bit better. 

Driver:   Tsi2 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-PW : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Odyssey 34" O-works Black #1 x/ Superstroke Slim 2.0

After having a good round on Friday, I was excited to play in our Saturday morning skins game.  For some reason, my good play and putting didn’t carry over.  I shot 8 strokes higher with an 82 and won 0 skins. 

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

First round of the season in the books! @MattF and I got out at Windmill Lakes. Very pleasant day that ended up in 60's. I started well with a birdie and a par. More often than not I am very happy with a bogey on #1, so the birdie was very nice. Drove the ball fairly well, especially for first day out. Irons were pretty terrible and short game was, as expected, inconsistent. 2 very big number and too many doubles, but otherwise feel pretty good about it. Ended up with a 96.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

First round for a few weeks due to wife's hip operation (she's doing fine) and also first round with new irons/hybrids. 

Fairly typically, strokes gained due to short game and putting saved my ass. SG approach should improve once I've gotten used to the irons/hybrids. 

The SG lost to driving...yeah that's fairly common too. I didn't lose a ball (rarely do!), but the SG value is purely due to a lack of distance off the tee (averaged 190 yards yesterday), which is exacerbated in winter due to a lack of roll out after landing (the UK is basically a mud-puddle right now). 

I know I need to address this, especially if I'm to get to my hcap goal of 6 (avg 6 hcap drives it 242 yards according to Arccos), either via Yoga/Pilates or speed training...or both, but always find reasons to not do it. 

BGC.png

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get!